PDA

View Full Version : The World Cup Draw - Dec 4th, 5:45pm GMT

Flabio
02-12-2009, 10:42 AM
So, they've announced the seedings for the draw:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8390084.stm

The pots are therefore:

Pot 1 (seeds): South Africa, Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Argentina, England

Pot 2 (Asia, Oceania and North/Central America): Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, United States, Mexico, Honduras

Pot 3 (Africa and South America): Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay

Pot 4 (Europe): France, Portugal, Slovenia, Switzerland, Greece, Serbia, Denmark, Slovakia

The draw itself is set up so that a seed won't play someone from the same confederation, with the exception that each group can have two UEFA teams in it.

Worst possible draw for England? I reckon USA, Ivory Coast and Portugal. Best possible is probably New Zealand, Algeria and Switzerland.

abigsmurf
02-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Pot 3&4 have a good chance to give us teams we'd struggle against. If we get Ivory Coast and France/portugal I don't think we'd get to the knockout stages.

However that's a pretty slim chance (1/64-ish). Pretty likely we'll get at least one decent team to play against though.

Supergoal
02-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Who cares.

Herbalizer
02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I'd love Brazil, France, South Korea and Ivory Coast to come out in a group.

You just know that England are going to end up in a group with Portugal.

Kongster
02-12-2009, 11:56 AM
It's the taking part that counts.

Herbalizer
02-12-2009, 12:00 PM
I wont be suporting any team in the World Cup, but there is something special about watching England play in the World Cup in the pub, with a bunch of mates.

I just love the atmosphere.

Kongster
02-12-2009, 12:07 PM
The whole country kinda comes to a stand still, and new fans come out of the woodwork, when England play in the World Cup. And when England get knocked out, its all doom and gloom with a scapegoat to boot haha.

SharkSkin-Man
02-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Always prefer these things when England aren't in them, so hopefully they'll go out in the group stage.

USA/Ivory Coast/France please.

Supergoal
02-12-2009, 01:23 PM
As long as the players get back to their clubs without injury I don't care to be honest. I used to love watching England but now it's awful, as it's so over hyped it's unbelievable. And yes, woodwork fans drive me nuts.

We are no where near winning any competition with the bunch of half wits we have now, apart from a special select few players the rest are average at best. Never world class to win a World Cup.

neoboy259
02-12-2009, 01:31 PM
I think England have a decent chance, as apart from Spain, there arent many teams that are really clicking. England, Ivory Coast, USA and Australia will have good tournaments I reckon.

And I dont even support England!!! Think I'll be cheering on Japan and the two Koreas.

Supergoal
02-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Talking about Japan, they're a lot worse of late. I've watched most of their games over here and they really lack any real quality. Don't be surprised if they get a pasting.

nakamura
03-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Japan seem to have the most useless coach since well, ever! Poor tactics and no self belief mean group stage exit.

Supergoal
03-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Japan seem to have the most useless coach since well, ever! Poor tactics and no self belief mean group stage exit.

Harsh considering the lack of quality players coming through. Though I'd agree he's a tad useless.

Flabio
04-12-2009, 05:01 PM
And the first team we pull out is USA. Bugger.

toythatkills
04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah, was hoping to avoid them. Watch us get Portugal as well :dry:

Flabio
04-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Algeria second, not too bad. Dodged the strongest African and South American teams.

[edit] and Slovenia third. That's not that bad a draw for England at all.

toythatkills
04-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Eaaaasy

Flabio
04-12-2009, 05:17 PM
D and G are the tough ones. Spain have got a piss easy group H.

MonkeyJuggleDX
04-12-2009, 05:23 PM
D and G are the tough ones. Spain have got a piss easy group H.

Yeah, it's when they qualify from that group that the fun starts.

Must suck to be Brazil.

toythatkills
04-12-2009, 05:25 PM
I doubt it. Brazil will batter all those teams.

merf
04-12-2009, 05:28 PM
so we've got months now of 'we're gonna win the world cup', conveniently forgetting that you play the good teams after the group bit and that we aren't actually that good.

toythatkills
04-12-2009, 05:34 PM
You're gonna look pretty stupid when we WIN THE WORLD CUP!

Kongster
04-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Hope springs eternal it seems lol.

Come the knock out stages it'll probably the same old story. Again.

samanosuke
04-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Who cares.

...and...

Always prefer these things when England aren't in them, so hopefully they'll go out in the group stage.

USA/Ivory Coast/France please.

What's with all the angry Scots today? ;)

samanosuke
04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
As long as the players get back to their clubs without injury I don't care to be honest.

Why is it so bad when a player gets injured on international duty, yet if a player gets injured whilst playing for his club and misses a World Cup that's just A-okay?

saturn-gamer
04-12-2009, 08:05 PM
It must not suck to be Brazil, it sucks to be in the same group as Brazil. Dunga made a machine out of this team, not much flair but effective like mad. Much like himself as a player.

I'd give Brazil and Spain the best chance to win it all. Germany is always a sure shot on World Cups, Italy will probably make a comeback too. Ivory Coast is my fave outsider, I think they grab the 2nd place rather than Portugal. God I hate Portugal.

As far as Orange goes, they'll probably obliterate their group yet again but its quarter finals at best. I have a gut feeling we'll face Brazil yet again.

merf
05-12-2009, 06:17 AM
if anybody wishes to become the pub bore then this is an essential read, its explains in a very entertaining and readable way from a probability/economic (think Freakonomics) point of view, why for a country of Englands football experience, size & wealth the quarter finals are exactly all we should expect for out team, anything more is over performance. Its a great book that looks in the same way at many other 'known' footy facts and takes them apart.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-England-Lose-Phenomena-Explained/dp/0007301111/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259997757&sr=8-1

Flabio
05-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I read a review of that in When Saturday Comes that says it has more assumptions and bad science in it than the Daily Mail.

VR46
05-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Eaaaasy

Uncanny resemblance, The Sun front page headline today reads

England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

prinnysquad
05-12-2009, 09:49 AM
I know they qualified legit, but there are loads of European teams in these finals who I associate with boring. Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Serbia, Greece, boring.

Where are Sweden? Czech Republic? Belgium? Croatia? Romania? Bulgaria? Do these new teams have Hagis? Scifos? Stoichkovs? Sukers? Nedveds? Rhetorical question really, but the shift in power is very noticeable.

I'm still living in the 90s!

MonkeyJuggleDX
05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Where are Sweden? Czech Republic? Belgium? Croatia? Romania? Bulgaria? Do these new teams have Hagis? Scifos? Stoichkovs? Sukers? Nedveds? Rhetorical question really, but the shift in power is very noticeable.

You missed out Thomas Brolin, though saying that the Swedes have Elmander now :rolleyes:

merf
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
I read a review of that in When Saturday Comes that says it has more assumptions and bad science in it than the Daily Mail.

some sections make the odd leap but the world cup thing is pretty decent analysis to my mind.

Flabio
05-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Serbia are far from dull.

Barla Von
05-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Uncanny resemblance, The Sun front page headline today reads

England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

It's funny how England go into evey world cup thinking they're going to win it.

They've no chance and if they did then i'll eat my kilt.

Also, when the England fans go over to South Africa i'll be watching for the square-goes on TV. :scared:

Skull Commander
05-12-2009, 02:19 PM
The most amusing thing was that during the draw, the commentator remarked how South Africa's group (I think) reminded him of England's 1966 world cup group. The thing hasn't even started and they are going on about it :mad:

Barla Von
05-12-2009, 02:24 PM
The most amusing thing was that during the draw, the commentator remarked how South Africa's group (I think) reminded him of England's 1966 world cup group. The thing hasn't even started and they are going on about it :mad:

The thing with England is that they always seem to get a piss easy qualify group.

As for their fans fighting over there (we all know it's inevitable, they do it at every tournament), if i was the authorities over in South Africa i'd those fans to the ****ing lions. :D

MonkeyJuggleDX
05-12-2009, 02:26 PM
It's funny how England go into evey world cup thinking they're going to win it.

They've no chance and if they did then i'll eat my kilt.

England have as much chance of winning it as Poland and we didn't even qualify!!!

Kieran76
05-12-2009, 02:32 PM
The thing with England is that they always seem to get a piss easy qualify group.

As for their fans fighting over there (we all know it's inevitable, they do it at every tournament), if i was the authorities over in South Africa i'd those fans to the ****ing lions. :D

Don't recall any trouble at Japan.

nakamura
05-12-2009, 02:33 PM
England have as much chance of winning it as Poland and we didn't even qualify!!!

I don't agree. Statistically we have a 1 in 32 chance. You have 0!:p

On a serious note I feel we have the capability to do it but I do not think we will. We have a fairly decent squad, perhaps not up to some others certainly Spain who are fantastic.

Barla Von
05-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Don't recall any trouble at Japan.

Yeah, because they would've chopped your heads off....samurai style. :)

Barla Von
05-12-2009, 02:36 PM

If England win it, then the pope is a protestant. :w00t:

prinnysquad
05-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Serbia are far from dull.

You may be right. But if they suck next year, I'll be disappointed!

I'm out of the loop on other international teams, the only player I know from Serbia is that Kezman guy. *Gulp* I hope.

abigsmurf
05-12-2009, 05:22 PM
If England win it, then the pope is a protestant. :w00t:

The Catholic church is taking in CoE bishops who are annoyed at gay marriage so it is entirely possible a future Pope could be protestant.

Flabio
05-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm out of the loop on other international teams, the only player I know from Serbia is that Kezman guy. *Gulp* I hope.
Nemaja Vidic? Branislav Ivanovic? That's two premier league players...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia_national_football_team#Current_squad

They're not a spectacular side, sure, but they're more entertaining to watch than Switzerland at least. They won their group, which is why France had to go through the playoffs.

Kongster
05-12-2009, 05:40 PM
They also have Zoran Tosic, he is a regular for them. Funnily enough, it the opposite at United - he can't get a game for neither love nor money!

prinnysquad
05-12-2009, 05:40 PM
God Kezman isn't even on that list. Vidic, yes, I do recall that he's Serbian now.

I recognise a fair few from the leading appearances and goalscorers lists too. Eee, the things you forget.

MonkeyJuggleDX
05-12-2009, 05:50 PM
My predictions:

England 1 USA 2
England 0 Slovenia 1
England 2 Algeria 0

You all know as well as I do that England always choke when it gets to the knockout stages.

P.S. Italia 90 squad > 2010 squad

merf
05-12-2009, 05:58 PM
3 points doesn't get you to the ko stages so your prediction is even more negative than that as you have England losing twice.

saturn-gamer
06-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Milan Jovanovic is a very talented player as well, he enjoys interest of several big teams, Real Madrid had plans to sign him a while back.

Pantelic and Kuzmanovic are established players in the Seria A and Bundesliga.

Team Andromeda
06-12-2009, 03:49 PM

For a start England group isn't that easy imo , and England fans don't always fight at all . I'm getting so very sick of people highlighting British fans , while quite convenientilly looking over trouble with the Italian fans (by far some of the worst, just they don't travel much) German, Polish , Turkish fans, never mind some of the nutters from S.America .

nakamura
06-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I think peeple are giving teams like Algeria and USA far too much respect. They are mediocre teams who will not trouble England at all. It IS an easy group. We couldn't have wished for better.

merf
06-12-2009, 05:56 PM
or as the sun so brilliantly put it

England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

Team Andromeda
06-12-2009, 05:57 PM
I think peeple are giving teams like Algeria and USA far too much respect. They are mediocre teams who will not trouble England at all. It IS an easy group. We couldn't have wished for better.

And I think people give England for too much respect , a Team that's done nothing on the world stage since Italy 90, and hasn't looked like winning a Tournament since 96

nakamura
06-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Maybe so. But only 1 team can win a competition. And only 4 can make it to the semis.
We may slag England but all the other nations have the same problem. For so many, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Holland and a fair few more reaching at least the semis is almost expected.
Unlike domestic and european football there is so much more competition for the final places.

merf
06-12-2009, 06:05 PM
and sorry to labour the point but its just not an even playing field, if a country has a population of 2, 3, 4 times that of another of its similiarly football mad, wealthy and experienced competitors then it stands to reason that they will enjoy more success than their smaller counterparts.

quarter finals are exactly where we should be getting, no more, no less.

Team Andromeda
06-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Maybe so. But only 1 team can win a competition. And only 4 can make it to the semis.
We may slag England but all the other nations have the same problem. For so many, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Holland and a fair few more reaching at least the semis is almost expected.
Unlike domestic and european football there is so much more competition for the final places.

Oh I'm not Slagging off England at all . I'm simply saying you haven't looked like winning a World Cup since 1990 , and haven't done anything of note since Euro 96 - where England were truly brilliant and should have won it .
But I'm getting so sick of the Press and players already coming out and saying we can win it , Yes , but so can 12 other teams , and teams that have a far better record of winning World Cup's than England

nakamura
06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Very true. We can win it but so can many others. I feel its a genuinly open competition and for the first time I cannot see a clear winner.

Team Andromeda
06-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Very true. We can win it but so can many others. I feel its a genuinly open competition and for the first time I cannot see a clear winner.

Yeah it should be a stormer of a World Cup , and all the better for having England in it too . Massive loss the last Euro's by not having the English in it Felt rather flat watching the games down the Pub , at least with England in it.
All I'm saying is I get to bored of the Golden generation tag , the best team , the best prepared , We Can WIN it , that comes with England at every world Cup

Jebus
06-12-2009, 06:36 PM
I find it hilarious how happy everyone is that we've got an "easy" group.

The papers realise that to win a knockout tournament, we'd have to beat Spain et al at some point...right?

nakamura
06-12-2009, 06:46 PM
I was glad we missed 2008. It meant we got rid of that dick McLaren. He was just a carbon copy of Sven who I didn't rate as NT manager.

Sure its a knockout competition! But a good group means we can't be disappointed too early!!

MisterBubbles
06-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Brilliant. 6 months of delusions of grandeur to go.

Team Andromeda
06-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I was glad we missed 2008. It meant we got rid of that dick McLaren. He was just a carbon copy of Sven who I didn't rate as NT manager.

Sure its a knockout competition! But a good group means we can't be disappointed too early!!

Oh McLaren was a complete tosser , never ever rated him at Middlesbrough. But it was a loss not having England at the Euro , Sort of gives you a reason to watch the game down the Pub, something to cheer for , and look forward too. That to me, goes for people who Hate England , even they would have had something to watch .

tbh It's the very least England must do and that's to qualify for the knockout groups, more so when you're a seeded Team But has for winning the Cup , that's a whole other ball game .

Flabio
07-12-2009, 07:39 AM
The way the draw has fallen we could end up with an absolute git of a first knockout round opponent even if the group does turn out to be easy. Germany anyone?

nakamura
07-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Or Ghana.

MisterBubbles
07-12-2009, 04:31 PM
But i thought you'd won it already?:hmm:

nakamura
07-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Have we?

MisterBubbles
07-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Well according to the press, media and the vast majority of you fans, you've breezed the group, took care of Germany or Ghana , only need to beat Spain then ,and it's in the bag.

Barla Von
07-12-2009, 07:09 PM
I hope England fail just to wipe the smugness off Lineker's face. :)

Kieran76
08-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Well according to the press, media and the vast majority of you fans, you've breezed the group, took care of Germany or Ghana , only need to beat Spain then ,and it's in the bag.

After re-reading this thread I don't think the vast majority of England fans here think we will the World Cup. Listening to FiveLive I don't recall too many pundits saying England were the favourites, a lot of people are saying they have a chance, which of course they do.
I don't know what other aspects of the media you are talking about. As for the press, the stupid ramblings of the red tops, one of which is owned by an Australian, are not representative of the nation.

Team Andromeda
08-12-2009, 07:10 AM
But i thought you'd won it already?:hmm:

So has Uruguay, more times than England but are the English press going around saying Uruguay are the best prepared , its a Golden generation , yes Uruguay can win it . I don't have a problem with people saying England got a chance , more a problem with they should , they will win it , we'll walk to the final , This after England done and won nothing on the world stage since 66 .

toythatkills
08-12-2009, 08:22 AM
What's the point of following a football team if you don't believe they can win?

Team Andromeda
08-12-2009, 08:35 AM
What's the point of following a football team if you don't believe they can win?

Winning a match is one thing ,winning a Tournament is quite another . Now I dare say that, that Falkirk thing on their day, they can beat the like of Rangers , but I don't even the most passionate of fans, think they can win the Scottish Premership outright.
I think its very sad if someone supports a Team , only because they Win.

toythatkills
08-12-2009, 08:41 AM
I think its very sad if someone supports a Team , only because they Win.

That's not the same thing

Team Andromeda
08-12-2009, 08:55 AM
That's not the same thing

but that's what your post implied , very sad sate of affairs if people only support England, because they think they can win the World Cup
That to me isn't a supporting a Club/Team at all .

toythatkills
08-12-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't support England because I think they'll win the World Cup, I support England and as a result I believe that they can win it.

The supporters of Honduras are hopeful too.

Team Andromeda
08-12-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't support England because I think they'll win the World Cup, I support England and as a result I believe that they can win it.

Here we go again :rolleyes:, The simple fact of the matter is any team has a chance of winning the World Cup , any team that made into the Tournament.
But I bet many supporters of the so called smaller nations, aren't supporting their side , because they thing they can win it
Most will just be happy to be there , and if they never ever make it again , will always continue to support their Team

Maybe if the English Press and Team went to a World Cup just happy to be there , with out the rubbish of we can and should win it , they'll performer a hell of a lot better than they do , and not get knocked out before the Final

toythatkills
08-12-2009, 09:13 AM
But I bet many supporters of the so called smaller nations, aren't supporting their side , because they thing they can win it

I bet every single one of them is thinking "what if...?"

Team Andromeda
08-12-2009, 09:49 AM
I bet every single one of them is thinking "what if...?"

Yes that's what The English supporters have been thinking since 1966

Flabio
08-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Although the Welsh have been thinking it for longer... ;)

Team Andromeda
09-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Although the Welsh have been thinking it for longer... ;)

No the Welsh don't think they'll ever qualify ,much less win the bloody thing :)

abigsmurf
30-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Probably more suitable here (CBA to start a thread).

Togo have been banned from the ACON for 2 cups for withdrawing their team.

That's one classy display on compassion. Jesus Christ.

Kieran76
30-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I saw that earlier. What a disgusting thing to do.

Jebus
30-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Probably more suitable here (CBA to start a thread).

Togo have been banned from the ACON for 2 cups for withdrawing their team.

That's one classy display on compassion. Jesus Christ.

Got a source for that? I'm struggling to believe any body of people could lack compassion to that degree!

prinnysquad
30-01-2010, 09:05 PM
It's on the Beeb, Jeeb.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8489127.stm

Nu-Eclipse
31-01-2010, 03:25 PM
It's on the Beeb, Jeeb.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8489127.stm

Couldn't believe it when I heard it. Then I read the aforementioned article on BBC Sport. Words fail me. It beggars belief, it really does.

If FIFA had a single crumb of credibility, then not only would they instantly overrule the decision and reinstate Togo, they would also personally demand Issa Hayatou's IMMEDIATE resignation as head of CAF.

Unsurprisingly, FIFA's silence on the matter speaks volumes. Also, given that Sepp Blatter and Jack Warner are the Clowns who run the Circus, I think we all know deep down that somehow the ban and fine are going to be allowed to stand (Would love to be proven wrong about that, btw).

World Football Governance. A complete and utter Joke since 1998.

Disgusting.

davesol
31-01-2010, 06:14 PM
But African football's governing body says the decision to pull the team out amounted to governmental interference in the sport.

They weren't banned for withdrawing, they were banned because their govenrment made them withdraw

Barla Von
11-02-2010, 05:54 PM
As a Scotsman i hope England win absolutely f**k all at this years World Cup! :p

Yet saying that, i do like their new away strip. :thumb:

http://l.yimg.com/i/i/uk/sp/engla15.jpg

Kieran76
11-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Don't like it, I hate red anyway and it looks too much like a rugby top. I can imagine all the fat, beer bellied in-ger-land fans squeezing into it and making us look even more like a bunch of cocks.

garrz32
11-02-2010, 06:44 PM
As a Scotsman i hope England win absolutely f**k all at this years World Cup! :p

lol..thought all you Rangers boys were Engerland fans!!or was that only when Gazza used to play for ye..:rolleyes:

Barla Von
11-02-2010, 09:46 PM
or was that only when Gazza used to play for ye..:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:...and Terry Butcher, Ray Wilkins, Chris Woods, Trevor Stevens, Mark Hateley, Gary Stevens, Nigel Spackman, Mark Walters, Rod Wallace...