PDA

View Full Version : The Official Rest of the Premier League Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Gradius
16-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I thought it would be nice if supporters of the not so popular top flight clubs had somewhere to post too.

My team Birmingham are on a fantastic run at the moment. Five straight wins and unbeaten in 8 games. Aiming for champions league now ;). Seriously though, i think we have laid down a good foundation for surviving relegation. Well happy.

Kongster
16-12-2009, 08:41 PM
I see Mcleish is doing a decent job so far. Yous just need to get the magic 40 points to ensure safety.

Care to share the true extent of your feelings about Villa? :D

Gradius
16-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Villa are doing very well too. With the "big four" dropping points left, right and centre they will be serously thinking champions league. Of course i hope they bottle it again :)

prinnysquad
16-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Hmph, Sunderland occasionally show what they are capable of and snatch points off the big boys, then frustrate the hell out of everyone by drawing or getting beaten by 'lesser' teams.

That's all cock-eyed. You're meant to get humped off the Big Boys and get points against like-for-like teams, or the bottom 5. You're not supposed to give a tantalising glimpse of what might be by beating Liverpool and Arsenal, then drop dozens of points against the rest.

Bruce is a good manager but he's made some basic errors. You don't send off a ready-made premiership quality player on loan to another Prem team, then moan like a bitch when one of your defensive midfielders is injured and the other suspended.

This season is slipping away into a 15th place finish due to injuries, a lack of squad depth, and a lack of motivation for games that don't involve Champions League teams.

MonkeyJuggleDX
16-12-2009, 09:41 PM
I really don't know what to make of Bolton this season.

On the one hand I've seen some really shocking performances, 4-0 and 5-1 defeats spring to mind but then again the last two games have been fantastic.

Megson... Hate the guy. Not really sure he knows what he's doing. He's signed some great players since arriving - Gretar Steinsson, Gary Cahill, Lee Chung-Yong and Matty Taylor but then he's got in total dross like Elmander and Robinson.

On a brighter note though, Lee Chung-yong and Gary Cahill have really impressed this season, Lee especially. The way he's adapted to the English game is great. He's already got 3 goals and numerous assists and anyone that saw him play City or West Ham must have liked what they saw.

Still slightly worrying that our top scorer with 5 is Cahill though.

I predict bottom five for us this season, though it's touch and go as to whether we'll stay up.

parkinho
16-12-2009, 10:04 PM
A very good point for Burnley tonight against Arsenal. Gave away a very sloppy early goal and for about 10 min after that it looked as if Arsenal could have added a couple more, but we held in there and equalised when Grezza scored his 100th career goal and continued his mighty impressive conversion ratio from the penalty spot - that was his 70th scored out of 75 penalties.

After that we were the better team and by the end had hit the bar, hit the post, had another penalty turned down and what looked like a perfectly good goal ruled out for off-side. Still, very happy tonight and hopefully that will give us confidence to pick up our first away victory at Wolves this Sunday.

MonkeyJuggleDX
16-12-2009, 10:05 PM
It's nice to see Burnley doing ok, especially as your manager is one of our old boys.

parkinho
16-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah Coyle is very highly thought of in Burnley and will no doubt end up at a much bigger club. Burnley v Bolton should be a good game on Boxing Day.

Hope that Bolton stay up if we do, is great to have so many local teams in the Prem - with the exception of Blackburn of course!

Kongster
19-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Hughes will be out of a job and will be picking up his p45 tomorrow morning, even if City beat Sunderland. That's according to the reports this morning.

Interesting...

prinnysquad
19-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Is it only 1 in 10 City have won? Make that 2 in 11 today.

Sunderland 5 points in the last 8 games.

Have lost each of their last four league games, scoring just once in the process.

PissFlaps.

Kongster
19-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Yep City have only won 1 in ten in the league. Hughes and Bruce, a couple of Man United old boys, will face each other today. I can't imagine there being room for sentiment haha.

Regardless of the result, Sunderland fans will undoubtedly chant "you're getting sacked in the morning" :D

prinnysquad
19-12-2009, 02:07 PM
2-0 already. Bruce, this team is superb

Kongster
19-12-2009, 02:10 PM
2-1 now

prinnysquad
19-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Yep. The only way a humping can be avoided is if our defence is slightly less crap than theirs, and our forwards can stay in touching distance of their Hurricanes-style attackers.

Sounds like another great piece of play by Reid. He should be in a better team. Last week the commentator said he was the most technically gifted player on the pitch vs Villa, he really should be playing in a top 10 side.

abigsmurf
19-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Who's the most likely replacement for Hughes. Given that by now the Liverpool owners must be shopping for someone too, could be expensive getting the right kind of manager.

*edit*

2-2 at 24 minutes!

prinnysquad
19-12-2009, 02:19 PM
lol Kolo the Clown.

**** defences collide!

3-2 gah, the Mag reject hunchback scores.

abigsmurf
19-12-2009, 03:20 PM
3-3 now

Kongster
19-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Finished 4-3 to City. We'll find out about Hughes in due course.

prinnysquad
19-12-2009, 04:05 PM
See, I don't mind an honourable defeat like that. But unfortunately, this side will get humped 3-0 off someone like Blackburn on the 28th.

Kongster
19-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Fancy a pint? It has been that sort of day haha

abigsmurf
19-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Hughes is gone. Didn't do a post match interview.

Herbalizer
19-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Such a stupid decision to let him go. I hope Man City achieve nothing this season.

Jebus
19-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Does Phil Gartside know about this yet? Could we sack Megson and tempt Hughes?

City have sacked a pretty good manager in my opinion, but from their point of view they need more wins when they've spent that much money!

Kongster
19-12-2009, 05:57 PM
And it's official - Hughes out, Mancini in.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8422676.stm

prinnysquad
19-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Poor Sparky.

Not many men could have been given that cash, been told to spend it on a load of egos, and only a few months to get them playing like a team, especiallly with touchy swines like that Gob****e Robinho in the mix, whining on to the foreign press every five minutes. I think he's been shat on.

The missus said that on fivelive this morning they had some ex-player on, only released recently (she can't remember who), who said that Hughes was given a timetable of where the team was expected to be at various stages at the season. Apparently they're easily on target to meet it, and only needed two more December wins to be on the points expected by the end of the month. If true, Hughes has got every right to be aggrieved.

Herbalizer
19-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the players got him the sack.

prinnysquad
19-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Normally that might be the case, but I'm sure I saw a report this morning saying Tevez was fully behind the manager.

dotoko
19-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Personally I'd like to have seen Sven back but Mancini is charismatic and should at least get Robinho playing like he did last season. I still think City will bag that last champions league spot but ultimately that's down to my lack of faith in the other teams than it is a belief in City under Mancini...

Well I suppose Spurs have a better chance at fourth if they could maintain some consistency but as an organisation they're just too partial to a bit of incompetence for my liking.

prinnysquad
19-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Thought that Turner sending off was a lousy decision. Eyes on the ball, no clear intent, arms used for leverage, his elbow only connected with the City player's face because he'd hardly jumped. Yellow at best for me.

Poor Hughes looked dejected knowing his replacement was already in the house. I wonder if the owners give Mancini more than 5 minutes to gel a brand new team of egos? Tossers.

BaronSqwelch
20-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Villa are doing very well too. With the "big four" dropping points left, right and centre they will be serously thinking champions league. Of course i hope they bottle it again :)

dont think we will this year....wether we are better than spurs in the end tho I dunno...

as for your lot, hoping they get nosebleeds and plummet down the league, with a 6th beating in a row sending you down in april ;)

villa were terrible today but we still managed a win....good thing with a very hard run coming up.

Jebus
20-12-2009, 06:39 AM
...and should at least get Robinho playing like he did last season.

The thing is, Robinho is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, or as good as most people think he is. He thinks he's better than Ronaldo and Messi, but he's simply not.

He's not a footballer I think about in the "Glad he's in our league" kinda way at all!

City have an amazing chance of breaking the top four, but they are defensively sooooo poor, I'd also get a really creative midfielder and play Barry a little deeper if I were the boss.

Also, lets be honest, all the strikers are "cast-offs" who, whilst all excellent players, aren't the best in the world...and with that kind of money I'd like to see City just throw OBSCENE amounts of money at clubs and get players like David Villa (rumoured to want to go to the premiership now, finally) who is probably an even better striker than Torres.

prinnysquad
20-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Good God I've just seen that penalty decision again, with Hunchback falling to the ground like the sack of **** he is. Minimal contact, what a joke, that Marriner guy is a caked ringpiece of a ref. Everything went City's way.

Team Andromeda
20-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Such a stupid decision to let him go. I hope Man City achieve nothing this season.

WHY?

Mark Hughes was never a good manager at all anyway . Best Move Man City have done in a while

Jebus
20-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Yeah cos they are doing awful at the moment aren't they...

Herbalizer
20-12-2009, 12:09 PM
WHY?

Mark Hughes was never a good manager at all anyway . Best Move Man City have done in a while

I think he's a decent manager. He should have been given until the end of the season, with their game in hand city would have been in the mix had they won it.

If Man city were going to replace him then they should have got Hiddink, i think they've made a massive mistake in their choice of replacement. Mancini only won titles at Inter because Italian football was in ruins after the massive scandal, it effectively removed all competition from Inter and they walked it.

Team Andromeda
20-12-2009, 12:17 PM
I think he's a decent manager. He should have been given until the end of the season, with their game in hand city would have been in the mix had they won it.

If Man city were going to replace him then they should have got Hiddink, i think they've made a massive mistake in their choice of replacement. Mancini only won titles at Inter because Italian football was in ruins after the massive scandal, it effectively removed all competition from Inter and they walked it.

Oh I agree the replacement is a joke , but Mark Hughes is one of the most overrated managers around .
He left Wales in a utter mess , and in must win games or nothing to lose games played 1 up front , kind of like that prick we have in charge of Wales now. Most of his buys have been poor , and his formations and defense is laughable.

Though I must say I didn't like the way he's been treated , to do all that behind the mans back , stinks

Kongster
20-12-2009, 12:28 PM
City are taking a bit of a gamble with Mancini. And Mancini will need to pick the lingo. Fast

EJG1980
20-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I'd agree that Mancini is a gamble, as he's a good manager but hasn't proved himself a great manager yet.

He didn't shine in Europe with Inter (then again, who does?) and even though Inter had so much in their favour he still almost managed to throw away an eleven point lead to Roma one season in Serie A, grabbing the title on the final day of the season.

He might end up doing well, but he's definitely not in the top bracket of managers.

dotoko
20-12-2009, 10:03 PM
He didn't shine in Europe with Inter (then again, who does?)

I think that has more to do with the fact that historically Italians see their league as being more challenging and prestigious than the Champions league. It's similar to how English clubs consider the Europa League below them whereas the Germans love it and go all out for it.

You can say every team is in it to win it but look at Liverpool, the years they won it they were nowhere near the best team in Europe, or even England, they just wanted it more.

Jebus
21-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Our game Wigan vs Bolton called off tonight.

Wigan get their annual fine again I guess.

FFS we need this game, not another one in hand!

prinnysquad
22-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Brilliant, 4 game suspension for Turner. Three for the 'straight red' and one extra for 'wasting their time.'

Typical closed ranks from tosspot decision makers. A truly cretinous, loathesome institution. It'd be better run by some dodgy East End barrow boy.

VR46
22-12-2009, 10:41 PM
And Bruce could be in extra trouble too for his comments after the game.

How dare anyone question anything to do with the FA. Ever!

prinnysquad
22-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Thing is, Bruce deserves to get a fine if he's overstepped the mark - he knows what the state of play is as far as talking about refs. I have no problem with that.

I have a problem with the fact that the awful, error-strewn performance (the sending off, the penalty, the uncalled offside) by that useless scrotum of a referee and his line running buddies is being covered up by closed ranks and, like you say, the very fact that someone dares challenge a decision is deemed a 'waste of time' and severely (imo) punished. I hate the FA and its band of men.

davesol
22-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Thing is, Bruce deserves to get a fine if he's overstepped the mark - he knows what the state of play is as far as talking about refs. I have no problem with that.

I have a problem with the fact that the awful, error-strewn performance (the sending off, the penalty, the uncalled offside) by that useless scrotum of a referee and his line running buddies is being covered up by closed ranks and, like you say, the very fact that someone dares challenge a decision is deemed a 'waste of time' and severely (imo) punished. I hate the FA and its band of men.
What do you want the FA to do about bad decisions made during a game (offsides / penalties etc)? It's not their fault or the refs fault that FIFA refuse to trial video technology which would stop most of these wrong decisions being made.

prinnysquad
23-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Where did I say that decisions should be reversed in game? I said the officials were piss poor.

I expect nothing to be done during the game. That's just the way things go, he was inept, game lost, nothing can be done. But they had the perfect chance to change that one decision in retrospect. I had hoped they'd reduce that red to a yellow. They haven't done that. But what really gets my piss boiling is the extra game. The wasting the time thing is just a further kick in the teeth from an organisation who hate to be questioned.

Flabio
23-12-2009, 07:28 AM
It's the risk with the appeals system, if they uphold the original decision they automatically extend the ban. It's there to stop people taking the piss and contesting every card.

I didn't think that one was a red though, he caught him hard with his elbow but it certainly didn't appear deliberate to me.

prinnysquad
23-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Some kind of referrals system should be in place, where a team gets a limited number of appeals per season. This would encourage clubs to think carefully about when they refer and avoid excessive piss-taking. It's just common sense. Clubs who don't take the piss out of the appeals system shouldn't be discouraged from challenging what they see as a genuinely wrong reversible decision by having the banhammer positioned over their head.

Kongster
26-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Sunderland have taken the lead against Everton, who are really struggling for form. And elsewhere City have taken the lead against Stoke.

It's pretty tight at the bottom half of the table. Interesting.

abigsmurf
26-12-2009, 02:28 PM
As much as I'd like to see Liverpool fail to qualify for the champions League, I want Wolves to go down so their negative attitude doesn't spread and ruin the EPL. win today from liverpool (or at least take points off of them) please

Kongster
26-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Lots of draws in the League today. I wouldn't be surprised if the Liverpool v Wolves game ended in a draw!

Jebus
26-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Our season continues and we are still the only club in the country without a single clean sheet.

abigsmurf
26-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Liverpool game looks set for a 0-0 so far.

Not been the best advert for the EPL todays football.

MonkeyJuggleDX
27-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Our season continues and we are still the only club in the country without a single clean sheet.

How did Chung-Yong play? I've only read one report but it didn't mention him and on the Sky Sports site he's been given a 7.5 which makes him the best player on the pitch.

As much as I think he's great, it's worrying that with our lowly position, come the end of the season he could be moving along with Cahill if the overall performances don't pick up.

Signing of the season for sure though.

Jebus
27-12-2009, 06:34 AM
He played as well as everyone else, which is to say, not great.

Our midfield is awful at the moment, gives absolutely NO protection to the defence whatsoever. Chung-Yong and Klasnic are shining lights in the darkness at the moment, but every time Megson wants to make a change it's Klasnic off, midfielder on...even though it's Davies (Kevin) that has been very very poor recently and Klasnic that looks like the only striker on the pitch who might actually score.

Not sure about Lee (I think we'll get at least another season out of him) but I think with Cahill we all knew he'd be going at some point or another. He's a genuine shout for England and I'm not sure he'll ever get into the squad properly with us, he'll go to Man United or Chelsea in my opinion, but after realised how bloody good he is, we all knew he'd go eventually.

Gradius
28-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Another win for Brum. 11 unbeaten now. 32 points before the turn of the year. It will take a massive run of bad form to not survive the drop this season.

Jebus
28-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Anyone see the Spurs/West Ham game? Goodness me how good do Spurs look at the moment? Defoe and Lennon on this form have to be in the first team for England.

That said, West Ham fans should be very concerned for their team...players injured all over the shop and very little quality in there at the moment!

EJG1980
28-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Yup, I was at the game and (as I said in the Spurs thread) I've never felt so comfortable at 1-0 up as I did today.

I think Huddleston has been playing really well for us this season too. I used to wonder if he'd quite have enough to be a proper first team player for us but he's stepped up this season and really runs the midfield well for us. He's got much better at closing opponents down and seems more mobile than in past seasons.

I think West Ham will probably stay up if they get their players back from injury, but if their best players like Parker and Cole miss lots of games it'll be very tough for them.

prinnysquad
28-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I hate that scumbag Diouf. It HAD to be that spitting turd.

Jebus
28-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm a Bolton fan and I've always hated him!

nakamura
28-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Well done again to the blues! I have a shirt for some reason from 2007-08!

EJG1980
28-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Yay, only took about a minute for the Sky commentator to wonder what Mancini would be making of the English winter weather. Considering that matches get snowed off in Italy, I don't think he'll be too phased by a bit of cold weather.

Jebus
28-12-2009, 06:53 PM
What do people think about the winter period on here? In Germany and now in Spain they have a winter break! Would people be in favour of that over here?

hudson
28-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Man City looking tasty tonight, I must say.

Jebus
28-12-2009, 08:37 PM
They looked fantastic tonight, agreed. There will be more sturn tests to come, but my word they looked rather special.

nakamura
28-12-2009, 08:42 PM
What do people think about the winter period on here? In Germany and now in Spain they have a winter break! Would people be in favour of that over here?

Not me. I love the festive matches. Keeps xmas and new year interesting.

abigsmurf
28-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Wolves got into an attacking position quite a bit but they never looked like scoring. Against a side with some decent strikers they'd have probably been punished.

Found it bizzarre that Wolves rarely even tried to jump for headers. They may not have tall players but you should always make an attempt for the ball

Gradius
30-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Bolton manager Gary Megson has been sacked.

Can't say thats a suprise really.

EJG1980
30-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Let the stories linking Mark Hughes to the job begin!

Team Andromeda
30-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Let the stories linking Mark Hughes to the job begin!

That's Bolton ****ed then .

Adrock
30-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Aye, must be. I mean, look at his record at Man City and Blackburn. Shocking.

Do we watch the same game? Or are there clubs playing hockey with exactly the same names?

Team Andromeda
30-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Aye, must be. I mean, look at his record at Man City and Blackburn. Shocking.

Yeah and add Wales in to that and its nothing special at all , The poor man couldn't even give the Team talks before the game .
Average at best

Bolton would be better off with the likes of Gary Speed , they again maybe its best Bolton get relegated. Might teach the ungrateful fans a thing or too , and wake them up, to not being a 10 club at all .

The way they treated Sam Allardyce was shocking

MonkeyJuggleDX
30-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Best news I've heard in ages. Now we just need Knight, McCann, Elmander, Andy O'Brien & ****tu to follow him out of the club and bring in players who know what they're doing.

As for who should replace the useless twat?

Well Hughes is probably out of our price range, along with 90% of other managers, so all we'll probably get is another negative boss or someone with little to no top flight experience.

I feel the only reason we got megson was because he was all we could afford.

Kieran76
30-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Watch Megson now get linked with the Wednesday job:thumbd:

EJG1980
30-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I think Hughes would probably do well with Bolton, didn't he get Blackburn something like 6th in the league? Like Fami said though, could Bolton afford him, and, would he want to go from the untold riches of Man City to the tight budget at Bolton?

I reckon they should go for Juande Ramos :D

Jebus
30-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Best news I've heard in ages. Now we just need Knight, McCann, Elmander, Andy O'Brien & ****tu to follow him out of the club and bring in players who know what they're doing.

I'd like to retain O'Brien and McCann as squad players but the others can go.

That said, a half decent manager that actually played Elmander in the position he actually plays in might get something out of him!

I'd love Hughes or Ferguson, but my ?20 is on Reid or Irvine (Megson 2) being announced in the next 24 hours.

Adrock
30-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Reid as in Peter Reid? That'd be one of the worst moves, ever.

Jebus
30-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Bolton would be better off with the likes of Gary Speed , they again maybe its best Bolton get relegated. Might teach the ungrateful fans a thing or too , and wake them up, to not being a 10 club at all .

The way they treated Sam Allardyce was shocking

What planet are you on man? Allardyce is STILL hailed as a God, he left us in the ****, not the other way around! Gartside is and was a wanker who never gave Allardyce the financial clout he gave Megson, which is a disgrace.

Ungrateful Bolton fans? What planet are you on?

Oh and we WERE a top 10 team, for about 5 seasons, then Allardyce left after the money dried up.

Reid as in Peter Reid? That'd be one of the worst moves, ever.

Gartside replaced Allardyce with Lee, then Megson. I'm telling you, Reid is a very realistic option to Gartside.

Gartside didn't sack Megson because he wanted to either, or because of the fans. I'd bet a hefty wedge Eddie Davies told him to fix it or he would find a new chairman.

Adrock
30-12-2009, 12:38 PM
A gamble I reckon that could be worth taking is Chris Coleman, he is struggling at the moment with Coventry but the work he did at Fulham and in Spain was good. There are suggestions he'll be sacked if Coventry don't improve but I still rate him quite highly.

Of course, as mentioned Darren Ferguson would be an interesting one.

edit : In other news, West Ham have another bidder interested in them and Pompey have been served with a winding up order by HM Customs. Pompey really do look intent on destroying what has been built up over the years.

Jebus
30-12-2009, 12:39 PM
A gamble I reckon that could be worth taking is Chris Coleman, he is struggling at the moment with Coventry but the work he did at Fulham and in Spain was good. There are suggestions he'll be sacked if Coventry don't improve but I still rate him quite highly.

Of course, as mentioned Darren Ferguson would be an interesting one.

Ferguson I think would be a risk worth taking, I mean even the thought of his "connections" to his Dad and the possiblities of getting some youngsters on loan is enough to make it a risk worth taking.

Coleman I think might not be a risk worth taking...

Team Andromeda
30-12-2009, 12:40 PM
What planet are you on man? Allardyce is STILL hailed as a God, he left us in the ****, not the other way around! Gartside is and was a wanker who never gave Allardyce the financial clout he gave Megson, which is a disgrace.

A few years back , one would read or hear , Big Sam taken us has for as he can , time for him to go, Bolton need to push on ECT, one saw the same happen to Alan Curbishley at Charlton , Fans expecting and wanting more , and chairman that seem to expect wonders on shoe string budgets.

Jebus
30-12-2009, 12:44 PM
A few years back , one would read or hear , Big Sam taken us has for as he can , time for him to go, Bolton need to push on ECT, one saw the same happen to Alan Curbishley at Charlton , Fans expecting and wanting more , and chairman that seem to expect wonders on shoe string budgets.

Well believe what you read why don't you?

It's utter nonsense. Allardyce asked for his "world class striker" and he got the funds and he got Anelka. He then went back and asked for some money for a midfielder of similar qualities, having proven the sqaud capable of top 6 finishes he believed he could break the top 4, but he needed the final missing link.

He got told no, didn't get the England job and decided he didn't want to struggle for players every window, and went elsewhere.

NOBODY wanted Allardyce to leave, NOBODY. Most of us would still take him back even now.

In fact, one of the sticking points for Megson was always that he got more money in a single window that Allardyce got in his entire term with us. It makes you sick, especially given how poor Megson has show how to manage players.

Steinsson, Cahill, Jussi, Gardner, Chung-Yong Lee, Taylor, Klasnic. They are class players, they shouldn't be in 18th, under a good manager they should be mid-table comfortably.

toythatkills
30-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Darren Ferguson would be a terrible appointment, surely? It'd need a fair bit of work to get Bolton playing his way, and by then it could be too late.

MonkeyJuggleDX
30-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Steinsson, Cahill, Jussi, Gardner, Chung-Yong Lee, Taylor, Klasnic. They are class players, they shouldn't be in 18th, under a good manager they should be mid-table comfortably.

Easily 9th place as as apart from the top eight, the rest of the league is pretty mediocre. I would probably even add the scousers and Birmingham to that list too.

As for keeping O'Brien, that would be a bad move. Every time I've seen him he seems to make mistakes as usually pretty costly ones.

Knight as well has probably cost us 4-5 points this season too - Slack defending against City and a pitiful attempt to block Duff's shot for Fulham, own goal against the red scum... Need I go on?

Jebus
30-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Fair play about O'Brien, but you are saying to get rid of him and Knight AND ****tu which leaves us with Cahill at the back on his lonesome and no cover! :)

Knight is crap, Villa fans must have laughed so hard when they heard how much we paid for him.

MonkeyJuggleDX
30-12-2009, 01:29 PM
A mate just commented how we are unbeaten in four and we should have stuck with him, but if you look at the stats:

Man City - We were ahead 3 times and still drew
West Ham - Fairly comfortable 3-1 win
Burnley - Ahead and drew 1-1
Hull - 2-0 up with 20 to go and drew 2-2

That's 6 points lost from winning positions in the last month. With a decent manager we'd be at least 10th in the league right now.

So we have games in hand? Arsenal home and away and Liverpool in our next five fixtures? Not much hope of improving to be honest.

prinnysquad
30-12-2009, 01:35 PM

That's just some fans though, a vocal section of knobends, like the Mags who forced out Bobby Robson.

LOL at Peter Reid. The only thing he'll bring back to Bolton is long balls. He'll buy some 8 ft 10 striker from Germany and tell the defence to man the trebuchet supply line.

Flabio
30-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Sounds pretty grim for Pompey, a winding up order is worse even than going into administration, it means that the treasury doesn't believe that there will be any buyers and that they've been owed money for so long the only option is to shut them down and liquidate all assets immediately.

As far as Forest and Leeds fell, at least they were able to survive (by the skin of their teeth too). Who would step in and save Pompey now? Their current squad certainly isn't premiership class, I think they'd struggle to even stay up in the championship, and they're about to lose 6 or 7 players to the African cup of nations...

EJG1980
30-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Does anybody know what happens results wise if Pompey go out of business in the middle of the season?

I'd assume that all their results would have to become null and void, which would be a bit of a disadvantage to anyone who has already played and beaten them. Spurs would lose 3 points for our win at Fratton Park being voided whereas Liverpool would lose nothing for their loss being wiped off the record books.

Hopefully some kind of solution can be found though, it'd be terrible to see any club go under, although it's not looking good.

Jebus
30-12-2009, 02:04 PM
The usual thing would be to automatically award the opposition a 3-0 win as a forfeit.

Flabio
30-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Pompey have put out a statement now claiming they've received no such winding up notice from anyone.

Intriguing.

Nu-Eclipse
30-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Easily 9th place as as apart from the top eight, the rest of the league is pretty mediocre. I would probably even add the scousers and Birmingham to that list too.

I agree.

Everton have been rubbish this season.

:thumb:

EJG1980
30-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Zero English players in the starting 22 of Portsmouth vs Arsenal tonight :blink:

Jebus
30-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Ramsey is Welsh isn't he?

Finnan is Irish too...

I know what you mean, but they are "English Speaking" players at least.

abigsmurf
30-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Portsmouth were absolutely appauling in the first half, stopped watching it. Deserve to go down based on that performance.

Team Andromeda
01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Well believe what you read why don't you?

NOBODY wanted Allardyce to leave, NOBODY. Most of us would still take him back even now.

In fact, one of the sticking points for Megson was always that he got more money in a single window that Allardyce got in his entire term with us. It makes you sick, especially given how poor Megson has show how to manage players.

I think it was more than just small talk in the back of the papers , and hey we've got the similar idiots in our Club, demanding Jones head.
Mind you while I rate Big Sam , I didn't like him saying he was leaving because he wanted to win Silverware, we Sam would put out 2nd rate players in the Cub games
Also think he's peaking rubbish about the lack of British players , when he more than most loves to sign Foreign players

prinnysquad
01-01-2010, 11:55 PM
SSN reporting Team FammmYdoDD have made Owen Coyle their number one target.

I've heard that using a Coyle won't stop you from getting humped.

parkinho
03-01-2010, 03:07 PM
SSN reporting Team FammmYdoDD have made Owen Coyle their number one target.

I've heard that using a Coyle won't stop you from getting humped.

Looking increasingly likely from what I hear. If it does happen we need to be ready to replace him quickly so that the new man can bring in some players who will help to steady the ship and keep us in the Premier League. Whatever the outcome I know he has lost the respect of many Burnley fans for dodging the issue over the last week, including missing the post match interview after we beat Fanchise FC in the cup yesterday, when he had the perfect opportunity to dismiss the rumours.

Jebus
03-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Coyle is indeed looking likely.

I don't get why he'd turn down Celtic (the team he supports) and take us on...but there we go.

Apparently he had to fly out dead-quick to see his folks, that's why he didn't take the interview...though he was seen 45 minutes later apparently down the tunnel.

I think he's actually been pretty classy about it to be honest, don't know why people would lose respect for him.

dotoko
03-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't get why he'd turn down Celtic (the team he supports) and take us on...but there we go.

I think snubbing Celtic was more about not sending his career backwards? I know saying Celtic/Rangers are no better than an english second tier team is an old joke but these days that's quite possibly a bit flattering to the SPL's top two.

MonkeyJuggleDX
03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
If it does happen we need to be ready to replace him quickly so that the new man can bring in some players who will help to steady the ship and keep us in the Premier League.

Megson is available at the minute :ph34r:

Nu-Eclipse
03-01-2010, 09:53 PM

:lol:

Jebus
04-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Coyle holding talks with Bolton today!

I can't remember when I was actually excited about my team! I feel sorry for Burnley fans as I like the team, but this is just what we needed.

parkinho
04-01-2010, 03:18 PM
More than a little gutted to see Coyle go which is pretty much inevitable now - the last 18 or so months have without doubt been the best period of Burnley's recent history, certainly in my lifetime (I'm 26). Just hope he doesn't take any of our top players with him (Eagles, Fletcher, Mears, McCann) and that in the time it takes him to reshape long-ball Bolton into a proper footballing team Burnley can ensure survival this season.

Oh god nooooooo!

Jebus
04-01-2010, 03:25 PM
The only one I would take, with no disrespect intended, would be Eagles.

That said, as good as I think he could be, hes incredibly selfish on the ball and doesn't look up enough, he could do with a kick in the balls and being told "you think you are Ronaldo, but you aren't".

As for "long-ball" Bolton, look at our squad (Cahill, Gardner, Taylor, Klasnic, Lee, Mark Davies, Steinsson, Jussi), with a GOOD manager we'd stop playing that ****e anyway.

It's bollocks anyway, we play less "long-ball" that a lot of teams now, but **** sticks sadly.

prinnysquad
04-01-2010, 04:08 PM
As for "long-ball" Bolton, look at our squad (Cahill, Gardner, Taylor, Klasnic, Lee, Mark Davies, Steinsson, Jussi), with a GOOD manager we'd stop playing that ****e anyway.

It's bollocks anyway, we play less "long-ball" that a lot of teams now, but **** sticks sadly.

http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2008/06/trebuchet.jpg

If it skanks famMydodD, we run with it...

MonkeyJuggleDX
04-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Coyle holding talks with Bolton today!

I can't remember when I was actually excited about my team!

Compensation package of ?3.6m agreed so hopefully everything should be tied up pretty soon.

At last there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Jebus
05-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Coyle is our man then.

Apparently just details of the compensation to be finalised. I think Burnely want £3.6 but Gartside is trying to offer £1 million plus Matty Taylor, if rumours are to be believed!

Happy with that personally, not been this excited about my club since we signed Anelka. It's just been 2 years of "meh" now...about time! :)

MonkeyJuggleDX
05-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I think Burnely want ?3.6 but Gartside is trying to offer ?1 million plus Matty Taylor, if rumours are to be believed!

I can think of at least 3 or 4 players I'd rather lose than Matty Taylor.

Jebus
05-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Taylor has been awful all season, he knows he is in the starting eleven and his form has dropped because of it. He's also a one of Megson's main men and I think he'd have been captain if Davies weren't there.

If he's what it takes to get us Coyle cheap AND to keep some money for Coyle to spend, then I'm afraid I'd take that deal.

Don't worry though Fami, I don't think Taylor is going anywhere.

MonkeyJuggleDX
05-01-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm loving all the Judas rants from the dingles.

How can they complain about what we're doing when they did exactly the same when Coyle was at St Johnstone?

Some of the inbreds on SSN have made me chuckle.

prinnysquad
05-01-2010, 05:43 PM
He is a Judas then ... twice.

He's the new Steve Bruce.

parkinho
05-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Well Judas is taking it too far in my eyes but I understand why some fans are angry when Coyle's promises of loyalty, integrity and finishing the adventure have not been fulfilled. Especially when, for many, he is taking a bizarre side-step in his career to take control of one of our relegation rivals.

Oh well, that's football I guess.

Jebus
05-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Oh well, that's football I guess.

No, that's just life.

With all due respect and with absolutely no intenton of sounding a wanker or nasty...Bolton are a bigger club. We're not a "big club" but we are a bigger club. We have a better setup, we have more money and we have 9 years in the premier league. I know that most people (especially journalists) don't like to admit it, but we ARE an established premier league side who were in Europe 2 seasons ago!

We'll be paying him more money though of course, no question about that one.

I get why the fans are angry, but the pictures from Turf Moor showed just how fickle fans are. A bedsheet with "PLEASE STAY OWEN" on it, then a woman (get a job btw!!) angry, "He's a Judas". Then later, emails flooding in..."Go to Bolton Owen, we wouldn't take you back now anyway". Yes, yes you would, you are angry because you didn't want him to go.

I feel that Bolton fans should be a little less callous though, some are downright smug about it, which is wrong. I know it's a lot to ask for, especially in the football world, but it'd be nice if the fans were just happy about it, without the nastiness that comes with.

That said, I can also understand that. Even now the entire deal is being used as fuel to have a go at our club. Why would Coyle go to "ugly" Bolton. It's a "step down, or a step sideways at best". It's nonsense written by people with an agenda.

Flabio
07-01-2010, 01:00 PM
So, we taking bets on how many games get called off this weekend? All of the ones on Saturday seem to involve the fans either travelling a long way, or through the worst hit parts of Surrey and the south east. And that's what it seems is most likely to cause postponements at the moment, the pitches will all be playable but they don't want thousands of fans stuck in cars on the motorways.

Saturday:
Arsenal v Everton, 15:00
Birmingham v Man Utd, 17:30
Burnley v Stoke, 15:00
Fulham v Portsmouth, 15:00
Hull v Chelsea, 12:45
Sunderland v Bolton, 15:00
Wigan v Aston Villa, 15:00

Sunday:

Liverpool v Tottenham, 16:00
West Ham v Wolverhampton, 13:30

Team Andromeda
08-01-2010, 02:17 PM
So, we taking bets on how many games get called off this weekend? All of the ones on Saturday seem to involve the fans either travelling a long way, or through the worst hit parts of Surrey and the south east. And that's what it seems is most likely to cause postponements at the moment, the pitches will all be playable but they don't want thousands of fans stuck in cars on the motorways.

Saturday:
Arsenal v Everton, 15:00
Birmingham v Man Utd, 17:30
Burnley v Stoke, 15:00
Fulham v Portsmouth, 15:00
Hull v Chelsea, 12:45
Sunderland v Bolton, 15:00
Wigan v Aston Villa, 15:00

Sunday:

Liverpool v Tottenham, 16:00
West Ham v Wolverhampton, 13:30

What a load of ****ing bullsh8t of the highest order to have any game called off this weekend in the Top 2 leagues . Health and Safety can go and **** them self's . If it's so dangerous to go out , I expect every retail shop and supermarket and Pub to be shut this weekend as well , just incase people slip

Most love to make fun of American Football with their big pads ECT .
You 'll never seen any game called off for weather like this , that's with the 90,000 fans per stadium .

This country is a pathetic joke

C'
08-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Liverpool v Spurs has now been postponed.

Jebus
08-01-2010, 03:21 PM
This country is a pathetic joke

Don't blame this country, we didn't start the "If I slip near your business I'll sue you" culture.

It's the same reason some schools have closed. Should a parent or child have an accident on the way there, guess who they'll sue?

It's just football and the matches will take place another time, it's perfectly reasonable.

Team Andromeda
08-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Don't blame this country, we didn't start the "If I slip near your business I'll sue you" culture.

And yet the country that started the slip and we sue , never calls a NFL game off for SNOW or ICE (or one has to scrape the barrel to find one) That's despite the 75,000 plus that went to watch Buffalo alone in loads of Snow , and I watched that on the TV and it pissed down with the white stuff

It's just football and the matches will take place another time, it's perfectly reasonable.

When ? , Next week FA CUP replays are already in doubt This country is a pathetic joke . The weather been here for ages , we've had plenty of time to get the Stadium and pitches ready .
I'm willing to bet that many of the Retail parks close to or part of our Football Stadium these days , won't be closing for business

Flabio
08-01-2010, 04:16 PM
In 1963 it took 66 days to play the third round of the FA cup you know.

Team Andromeda
08-01-2010, 04:23 PM
In 1963 it took 66 days to play the third round of the FA cup you know.

In 1963 most people went for # 1 and 2's in the outside bog , didn't own a Fridge , much less have Central Heating , and owing a TV , was the stuff of make-believe.

We've moved on you know, they again maybe not

Jebus
08-01-2010, 05:14 PM
And yet the country that started the slip and we sue , never calls a NFL game off for SNOW or ICE (or one has to scrape the barrel to find one) That's despite the 75,000 plus that went to watch Buffalo alone in loads of Snow , and I watched that on the TV and it pissed down with the white stuff

I don't see the relevance at all to be honest. There's plenty of things the USA don't get right. They have no healthcare service to speak of but hey, at least we get to see FOOTBALL!!!!!11111111

When ? , Next week FA CUP replays are already in doubt This country is a pathetic joke . The weather been here for ages , we've had plenty of time to get the Stadium and pitches ready .
I'm willing to bet that many of the Retail parks close to or part of our Football Stadium these days , won't be closing for businessWho cares, they will get played at some point. It's just football, spend the time doing something else. Really not something worth getting upset about at all in my humble opinion.

Perhaps they were busy making things that were actually important safe, since some people in this country couldn't care less about a football match taking place.

The 60's eh? You'll be telling me we used to leave our front doors unlocked because there was no crime next! We might have "moved on" but it seems some of us haven't grown up! Crikey.

EDIT: Didn't mean to appear so harsh, but seriously, its a few weekends, the games will get played, not really a huge deal.

Team Andromeda
08-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't see the relevance at all to be honest.

But lets bring in the NHS to a sporting topic ?.
The relevance is , you don't see America call off its National sport for snow or ICE, that despite stadiums that dwarf ours .
You think American fans are magically flowen into their seats , or do they have to drive and park in the Stadium , and then make their way to the seats ? .
If NFL football fans like the Packers, Broncos , Bills can malke their way to and from Football games in their hundreds of thousands, despite the bad weather , and in the land that gave us the Sue culture , why can't we ?

Who cares, they will get played at some point

Some of us go to watch Football matches home and away , Yes I know that's an alien concept to most here , but some of us rather watch the football at down the stadium , rather than on the TV.

Midweeks games (when most re-arranged games are played) are a pain the ass for a host of reasons
Most people have to get up early for work in the morning , that's a nighmare when watching away games , coming back late , buses and trains change their timetables after 6pm in most cases (not an issue for 3pm Saturday games) But if its a Midweek Home game , its a nightmare unless one has access to the Car .

Of course those fans that watch their team would know this

since some people in this country couldn't care less about a football match taking place. Yes they much rather fight over the last loaf of Bread, or last pint of Milk in ASDA's
But hey, lets not shut the supermarkets .

The 60's eh? You'll be telling me we used to leave our front doors unlocked because there was no crime next Ahhh.. those were the days, that when if the front door shut , it was locked (no need to twist a key) , That bloody Double glazing killed those Good Old Days

but it seems some of us haven't grown up

Or grown out of the Long Ball game . But hey lets not get worked up , over a silly little game, that is Football :P

Jebus
08-01-2010, 05:51 PM
That post is so full of genuine LOLS to me that I'm not gonna waste the time to reply to it.

I will however just say that I can't believe you threw the conceited "I'm a real fan" arguement in there.

Oh and yes, I did think that the fans of American Football were magically flown to their seats.

Team Andromeda
08-01-2010, 06:17 PM
I will however just say that I can't believe you threw the conceited "I'm a real fan" arguement in there.

If I used those words , you'll have a point . I'm sure I used terms like 'some' or 'us' , thus not implying just 'I' .
But like I say , most Football fans that do travel to watch their Team , know the pain and hassle of midweek games in most cases, due to late Kick-Off's and Public Transport -compounded when its a mid week away replay game that you can't get a refund for (just for example)

I did think that the fans of American Football were magically flown to their seats.
Sorry I know the Americans can watch Football in the Snow , and yes that far in advanced of us British , but not even they, can fly into their seats just yet:thumb:

That post is so full of genuine

Thank YOU !!! :thumb:
:ph34r:

MonkeyJuggleDX
08-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Who cares, they will get played at some point.

I'd rather they were played now rather than towards the end of the season where it will no doubt end up being something stupid like having to play 8 games in 20 days.

Not what I'd want if I was in a team that's fighting for survival.

Remember for most teams they have had just this game called off. Bolton have now had the following cancelled:

Wigan away
Arsenal away
Sunderland away

Already two games behind everyone else and with these fixtures piling up I'd be getting worried.

Jebus
08-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Fammy, we are a team that's fighting for survival mate and I'd far rather got the Arsenal away game out of the way now!

Dunno, maybe I'm just less highly strung...I love my football, I truly do.

But y'know, I guess I'll just do something else this weekend!

prinnysquad
08-01-2010, 09:32 PM
TA - the difference between the States and here is the infrastructure. The missus was over there for a year and said that because they have a regular, expected winter every year, they have an excellent set of plans and services to deal with snow and ice. Around Buffalo, they have teams of diggers lifting snow and dumping it aside, constant gritting, and various other measures, ensuring that despite massive snowfalls, they can keep everything going in a usual winter.

We haven't had much snow here for nearly 20 years, and no prolonged snow and ice on the ground for weeks on end for perhaps even longer. The country has got complacent due to years of identikit mild winters. Cue a lack of salt, no ploughs, and the ensuing chaos. Areas of the US have much, much more predictable yearly systems and plans are always in place. That's why the NFL is a go-go.

Team Andromeda
09-01-2010, 05:57 AM
We haven't had much snow here for nearly 20 years, and no prolonged snow and ice on the ground for weeks on end for perhaps even longer. The country has got complacent due to years of identikit mild winters. Cue a lack of salt, no ploughs, and the ensuing chaos. Areas of the US have much, much more predictable yearly systems and plans are always in place. That's why the NFL is a go-go.

Good points , but in most parts of the country we haven't had 'that' much snow at all . Some parts yes, but other's no . In fact I can go back to 20005, 2000, 1997, 1994 where my area had tons of the white stuff , somehow the City football matches went ahead, Not all of America has annual massive ammonts of winter weather every year , I've yet to see any NFL game called off in the past 18 years or so

And its just echo's my point of how pathetic this country really is .
We've a 3rd world Transport systems (be so nice if the Government spent the Road Tax on the Roads) that goes to bits any time there's hint of snow or ice . If the roads to and from the various grounds we closed , I could well understand (and in some cases there are) , but in most cases they're open . It just seems in most cases H&S is getting in the way , Somehow it's ok to use the same roads , go shopping , go to the cinema ECT , using the same network , just not go to the football .

You know is a its bad enough missing the Saturday games , when for my lot mates , its the one time we're all off work , women let us go (while they go shopping) no worries about getting up early the next day (so we can all have a drink) that kind of silly stuff , Mid- Week games and re-agreanged games are a pain is the ass
Isues over the mid-week travelling with the latter kicks off's , the fact that if you on the Away support bus and the game called off , you don't get a refund on your £20 bus ticket (its a right pisser when you've travelled miles and miles for a non show) Never mind the build of games , in World Cup year of all years .

I'm sure most parts of the world are laughing at how hopeless the UK at dealing with Winter Weather , when its meant to get COLD .

Jebus
09-01-2010, 07:17 AM
it's ok to use the same roads , go shopping , go to the cinema ECT , using the same network , just not go to the football ..

How many people would be in your busiest Tesco? The busiest Cinema?

Compare that to how many people would be at the Emirates.

Team Andromeda
09-01-2010, 08:52 AM
How many people would be in your busiest Tesco? The busiest Cinema?

Compare that to how many people would be at the Emirates.

I would imagine that this Saturday, they'll be more people shopping in the high streets of London , than would be able to watch the game at the Emirates, wouldn't you ?, The shops in London High streets closed today are they ?
Lets have a end to this nanny state , and if you fall its your own bloody fault , Let Adults make up their own mind , if they or their Kids should attend the match or not . This Country is a pathetic joke , much like our Transport system .

Still at least our game is ontoday , that makes a change. Though after this outburst , I'll most probably fall, and break my leg :s

abigsmurf
09-01-2010, 08:59 AM
The Man U and Arsenal games are the only ones on it seems. Man U get handed the chance to go top for a while and get the psychological boost from that (assuming they win of course).

If they're going to cancel 90% of the games, they should just cancel the day's football.

Matt
09-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Smurf, you really are dour aren't you?

SIGH....

Everything's a conspiracy mate. They really are out to get YOU!!

Only joking man :thumb:

Everyone's worked up over a few postponed games. Not the end of the world. They'll be genuine safety concerns, for fans and players.

And Smurf, you should be happy your games are being postponed with some of your best players away right now :)

Jebus
09-01-2010, 10:24 AM
I would imagine that this Saturday, they'll be more people shopping in the high streets of London , than would be able to watch the game at the Emirates, wouldn't you ?, The shops in London High streets closed today are they ?
Lets have a end to this nanny state , and if you fall its your own bloody fault , Let Adults make up their own mind , if they or their Kids should attend the match or not . This Country is a pathetic joke , much like our Transport system .

Still at least our game is ontoday , that makes a change. Though after this outburst , I'll most probably fall, and break my leg :s

I think that's three or four posts on the trot in this thread you've complained about this country...if you loathe it so, why don't you just move abroad, where the grass is so much greener?

abigsmurf
09-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Smurf, you really are dour aren't you?

SIGH....

Everything's a conspiracy mate. They really are out to get YOU!!

Only joking man :thumb:

Everyone's worked up over a few postponed games. Not the end of the world. They'll be genuine safety concerns, for fans and players.

And Smurf, you should be happy your games are being postponed with some of your best players away right now :)

Don't worry, I know you're the one behind it all! Pulling all the strings behind the scenes!

Meh it's annoying because it's going to mean that we'll probably end up having a month of 3 games a week, not to mention the game was supposed to be on telly today.

Just feels very silly cancelling 10 or so games this weekend and just leaving 2.

MonkeyJuggleDX
09-01-2010, 01:59 PM
This country just needs to man up and grow some bollocks instead of being such pussies.

Jebus
09-01-2010, 02:10 PM
*shakes fist at country*

prinnysquad
09-01-2010, 02:21 PM
This country just needs to man up and grow some bollocks instead of being such pussies.

Says F4mmYdoDD, from the warmth of his bedroom, wearing his pink slippers and lilac dressing gown, sipping a Horlicks.

Jebus
09-01-2010, 02:42 PM
...and masturbating.

EJG1980
09-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Says F4mmYdoDD, from the warmth of his bedroom, wearing his pink slippers and lilac dressing gown, sipping a Horlicks.

...and masturbating.

That sounds like the good life to me.

Kongster
09-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Everton have gone 2-1 up at the Emirates!

MonkeyJuggleDX
09-01-2010, 03:44 PM
That sounds like the good life to me.

Just wait.

If I decide to invade enemy territory(Read: Move in with gf) then every day when she returns I'll be sat there like Bletcher say except I'll also be wearing a cravat and smoking a pipe.

Kongster
09-01-2010, 03:59 PM
2-2 it finished between Arsenal and Everton.

Matt
09-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Don't worry, I know you're the one behind it all! Pulling all the strings behind the scenes!

It's all part of my master plan. Come the end of the season, you will understand :hmm:

Team Andromeda
09-01-2010, 05:38 PM
I think that's three or four posts on the trot in this thread you've complained about this country...if you loathe it so, why don't you just move abroad, where the grass is so much greener?

Ahhh that old chestnut. Maybe if this country spent its own money, on its , own people , instead of fixing roads abroad , we migh be able to handle the winter better? .

Still you must be pissed though , your 'Carling' weekend been called off, it could be worse though .. .
You could be an actual fan , that makes the tripe to the stadium (Rare breed I know) .
Don't worry .... I'm sure SKY Sport's will re-arrange the BIG games, for you to watch on TV

prinnysquad
09-01-2010, 05:43 PM
that 's makes a tripe to the stadium (Rare breed I know) .

There's been enough tripe at the Reebok for a good few years now.

Team Andromeda
09-01-2010, 05:53 PM
There's been enough tripe at the Reebok for a good few years now.

OMG!

COMPLETELY OWNED

prinnysquad
09-01-2010, 05:56 PM
lol. Tripe and Trebuchets - good name for a Bolton Fanzine.

Team Andromeda
09-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Owned, Owned and Owned...

I give up

Jebus
09-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Still you must be pissed though , your 'Carling' weekend been called off, it could be worse though .. .
You could be an actual fan , that makes the tripe to the stadium (Rare breed I know) .
Don't worry .... I'm sure SKY Sport's will re-arrange the BIG games, for you to watch on TV

To be honest, I have no idea what the "carling weekend" thing is about? I'm assuming a pissup at the match? Dunno.

I could be an actual fan, you are quite right, after all it's only a 11 hour round trip to see my club, which given that I work til 1pm on saturdays would be one hell of a ****ing trick if I could get there in less than 2 hours for kickoff!

I go to the away games I can make, usually tend to be the Fulham and Pompey away games (going to Pompey you'd have to be a REAL FAN!!!!!!!) but sadly for me, real life has to come before football, that includes my wife, my two children, my job, you know, the things in in life that actually DO matter when all is said and done.

As for the Sky comments, we don't get many games on TV so again, you're just spouting for the sake of it.

I think I stand by something I said in another post, you need to grow up. Oh and probably move to America where everything is great.

OMG!

COMPLETELY OWNED

I challenge you to find a Bolton fan who won't wholeheartedly confess that we've been MOSTLY **** to watch for years now! Or does that not fit into your stereotypical views enough?

Team Andromeda
09-01-2010, 06:11 PM
To be honest, I have no idea what the "carling weekend" thing is about? I'm assuming a pissup at the match? Dunno.

I could be an actual fan, you are quite right, after all it's only a 11 hour round trip to see my club, which given that I work til 1pm on saturdays would be one hell of a ****ing trick if I could get there in less than 2 hours for kickoff!

The Carling Cup is a joke, -all about British Larger- Yes I know British is a RARE breed these days (j/k)
And save me the sob story , and do what I do . Pick one local club local , and pick one 1 club in the BIG BOYS LEAGUE !!!!

Jebus
09-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Does anyone else think it's worth continue to attempt to reason here?

Anyway, I support one team mate, I do go to the occasional Bournemouth match though, work, family and finances permitting.

Anyway, please continue to feel high and mighty because you are a real fan and I'm not! :)

ezee ryder
09-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Does anyone else think it's worth continue to attempt to reason here?

A rare post for me in a football thread on here but I just wanted to say no it's not. Just move on mate, lol.

Jebus
09-01-2010, 06:19 PM
For the record, I miss your footy posts ezee, even if you do support THEM.

abigsmurf
09-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Did I mention how much I'm glad the Man U and Arsenal games were played today?

Kongster
09-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Loads more draws to go round, pal.

Team Andromeda
10-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Anyway, please continue to feel high and mighty because you are a real fan and I'm not! :)

Oh relax its piss take with there's better stuff to get worked up over than Football . (QPR aren't even in the BIG BOY league for starers)
I see the Bengals game still went out , never mind 65,000 Americans needing to get into the Frozen stadium , and Cincinnati isn't really noted for its cold

Jokes aside , if the likes of WBA , Cardiff, Norwich can get their games on , its pathetic the Premiership Boys can't get their games on in this day and age .
Going to a football stadium is no more dangerous than going to ASDA's , more so when Bread in short supply :lol:

Jebus
10-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Oh relax its piss take with there's better stuff to get worked up over than Football .

Obviously I was totally serious with my post.

By the way, I'm running a book on how many times you will say "pathetic" today, if you could make it 10 then I'd be happy as I have twenty BRITISH pounds on that at 5/1.

nakamura
10-01-2010, 10:11 AM
but sadly for me, real life has to come before football, that includes my wife, my two children, my job, you know, the things in in life that actually DO matter when all is said and done.

Great reply there BTW.

Team Andromeda
10-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Obviously I was totally serious with my post.

if you could make it 10 then I'd be happy as I have twenty BRITISH pounds on that at 5/1.

Decimal odds another 'Great British' Tradition that needs to go, thanks be to EU.

Don't worry though , Great British traditions of going to cock any time there some change in the weather , will never change , not even the EU can change that.
To think we even sell the likes of the Germans , Spanish our Grint/Salt , only to import it back from them, at times of crisis:thumb: .

Makes one proud to be British :ph34r:

Jebus
10-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Great reply there BTW.

Ta, but reading it, I'm not happy that I said "...but sadly" to be honest, I'm quite happy those things take precendence. I love my football, but it's not even a close call between that and my family.

So, I retract the "sadly" part. :)

nakamura
10-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Ta, but reading it, I'm not happy that I said "...but sadly" to be honest, I'm quite happy those things take precendence. I love my football, but it's not even a close call between that and my family.

So, I retract the "sadly" part. :)

Yeah I know what you meant though. :)

Team Andromeda
11-01-2010, 07:00 AM

I'm sure everyone loves their family more than sport or videogames when it comes down to it . Jokes aside and this isn't an attack on anyone here really (because I'm one of the them) People get peed off if Play.com is late sending out a game, if the post is about to go on Strike, when a BIG game is due to ship , some even take a day off work , or cue up in the High Street , when a BIG game is due , and lets all go mad over EDGE reviews

Sure there's far more important stuff to worry about , but it still can pee off people . I can understand why in some parts of the country the games have been called off , but I'm not sure if anyone was watching the News Yesterday, but a Camera crew went around West Ham's Upton Park after having phone calls saying, there's not a hint or Snow or Ice around the ground, and sure enough there wasn't any snow , and hardly any ICE, it's almost like its suited some Teams to call their games off

London's Westend didn't close , Piccadilly Circus ECT didn't close , Its not like thousands of people don't use those I don't think any of the Pub retail chain closed , and would thought it's far more dangerous to be waking home , after having a few myself

Jebus
11-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Some people get peed off at those things.

SOME people.

Team Andromeda
11-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Some people get peed off at those things.

SOME people.

SOME people even get uptight over Form talk . I don't know , SOME people ;)

Kieran76
11-01-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't know if it has been mentioned but it isn't the clubs themselves that call off most matches.

Jebus
11-01-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't know if it has been mentioned but it isn't the clubs themselves that call off most matches.

We know mate, its the BRITISH GOVERNMENT that are at fault here.

Pathetic!

:thumb:

Team Andromeda
13-01-2010, 06:49 AM

Yes , but isn't it Premier league rules that all must have undersoil heating , fair enough if you Wigan and it fails stuff like that happens.
But I think most were called of , because of problems getting to the grounds and Health and safty rules, or if your West Ham , becasue its suited you ;):P.

We know mate, its the BRITISH GOVERNMENT

Not the same Government that rashioning Grint and Salt supply's by any chance?. This after select committee reports in to the problems we had just last February . Remember when MP's were saying its unacceptable how the country grinds to a halt ? Let's hope we'll learn lessons for next year:thumb:.

Now I don't mean to win you up too much ,or pee you off. But there was quite a few games that could have should have gone ahead when all is said and done .

Flabio
13-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Bristol played Cardiff last night in the cup during a snowstorm...

Team Andromeda
13-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Bristol played Cardiff last night in the cup during a snowstorm...

You see what can happen when a Club really wants and needs a game to go-ahead.

Jebus
13-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Now I don't mean to win you up too much ,or pee you off. But there was quite a few games that could have should have gone ahead when all is said and done .

I don't disagree with you, my point was that getting worked up about is pointless.

Team Andromeda
13-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't disagree with you, my point was that getting worked up about is pointless.

Ok point taken

Kieran76
13-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Brian Laws has now taken over at Burnley. Crazy world of football in one way I suppose. A man who sacked a month ago because his club are second bottom on the league below gets a job in The Premiership. However, the more rational mind would say Burnley tried to get Laws in before Coyle took over and anyone who knows anything about football, or more importantly Sheffield Wednesday, know that Laws has over-achieved at his time at the club given the pathetic sums of money he has had to spend on players and wages.
Good luck to Brian.

dataDave
14-01-2010, 11:38 AM
So you reckon he's not that bad a manager then?

Lots of people I know are very angry at the appointment.

Kieran76
14-01-2010, 05:32 PM
I can understand why people are underwhelmed, because at first glance it looks a strange appointment. I think he could do a job, this makes for interesting reading though.

Burnley, the Premier League soccer club that has appointed Brian Laws as its new manager after Owen Coyle, left emotion to the side and took a scientific approach to find the right man for the job.
Burnley used a report from Deloitte, the respected accountancy firm which produces the acclaimed Football Money League and other publications on soccer each year, to discover which manager from the Championship, English soccer's second tier, had produced the best performances relative to budget over the last three years.
"The results of a Deloitte and Touche study confirm he was top of the list of Championship managers over the period 2006-09 in terms of delivering the best results relative to financial budgets," said a statement from the club, which has made no secret of the financial constraints under which it works.
The Clarets' chairman, Brendan Flood, also confirmed that the club had made the decision with an eye on the possibility of relegation, saying a foreign manager or "smash and grab" Premier League manager might well have abandoned the club in the event of relegation.
Burnley were the surprise package at the start of the Premier League season, turning their Turf Moor home into a fortress. However, the club has not won a league match since October.

parkinho
14-01-2010, 07:55 PM
I was one of the underwhelmed fans initially, but having thought it over and discussed it significantly in the last 24 hours it could well be a very good move by the club. All the Wednesday fans I know have been positive about Laws, citing that he has had to work with very difficult financial constraints. His teams always seem to give us a tough time in the past, including drubbing us twice last season. To be honest Coyle leaving us may well be a blessing in disguise - no win in 9, only 1 away point all season, no plan B - Laws has a chance to change all of that. Stay in the Prem or relegation, he will get my full 100% support throughout.

Good luck Brian Laws and welcome back to Turf Moor!

Yorath - rumours abound that we are after Lee Grant and Mark Beevers, with a bid of ?1.5 mil apparently in place for Grant. Any thoughts? I read that Irvine (good acquisition by the way) is ready to listen to offers for all of your squad to raise funds for his own purchases.

Kieran76
14-01-2010, 08:38 PM
I think Grant is a stunning player, easily Premiership standard and he has been watched by various England coaching staff. I would be gutted if he left, he has won the players player at Wednesday for the past 2 years.
Beevers isn't the finished article yet, but is deffo a player with Premiership potential. Still has a tendency to dither and has made the odd howler this season and last.
?1.5 million for Grant is a steal.

prinnysquad
16-01-2010, 06:36 PM
MagBoss needs to bring in some quality and sort out this ragtag bunch of slackers. The squad is toilet paper thin and we haven't got a league win for ages. Relegation battle looming unless he sorts it out.

prinnysquad
23-01-2010, 04:27 PM
:curse: MagBoss :censor: Gordon, most overrated keeper ever.

dotoko
23-01-2010, 05:10 PM
£9-Million for Craig Gordon was a joke...

To put that in perspective City paid £600,000 for Joe Hart the season before and £5-Million for Shay Given the season after (at the height of their over-paying).

prinnysquad
23-01-2010, 05:14 PM
We could have had Shay Given for £1 million after his loan spell with us. Monkee Heed refused to pay it, even though he'd had a massive number of clean sheets with us in his loan spell.

NW2013
23-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Ha, I didn't know that Prinny. Given has probably been one of the best keepers in the Prem for the last 5+ years now.

dotoko
24-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Second excellent City game on Terrestrial TV in a week :)

We needed that seconded goal. The Scunthorpe goal was blatantly offside but no complaints from me, Taylor is the least confidence-inspiring goalkeeper I have ever seen. How we started the season with Given, Hart and Schmeichel and are now playing this goon is beyond me. Shows how useless Mark Hughes was.

Sylvinho is another Mark Hughes mistake, he's done nothing right all game, misplaced EVERY pass and disappeared for EVERY Scunthorpe attack. Lots of positives though, Boyata, Onouha and De Jong all look excellent and inspire confidence for the future. Petrov showed again he's one of the Premiership's top attacking forces and even Robinho hasn't been that bad (despite some lame finishing).

dotoko
24-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Comfortable in the end, glad Robinho scored. He gets a lot of flack (deservedly so) but people forget he was our (and one of the leagues') top scorers last season. Hopefully now he'll stay and get a run of games with this goal giving him the confidence to rediscover his form :)

We are now the only team in the country to go undefeated in all cup competitions. As for the league, we've only lost three games all season (none at home) and that's something only Chelsea can match so surely people have to admit we're contenders now?

Edit: Stoke at home in the next round, we'll dick 'em, so happy to get another Premiership team rather than the banana skin that is a lower league team.

MonkeyJuggleDX
24-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Edit: Stoke at home in the next round, we'll dick 'em, so happy to get another Premiership team rather than the banana skin that is a lower league team.

I'm sure that's what the arse thought too :rolleyes:

dotoko
24-01-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm sure that's what the arse thought too :rolleyes:

If Stoke were at home you'd have a point but away they are useless. We already beat them comprehensively at CoMS this season and like I said we haven't lost at home all season.

Plus we play a totally different game to Arsenal, infact we beat them 3-0 and 4-2 this season so they're hardly our yardstick.

Flabio
26-01-2010, 07:16 PM
BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at the Reebok: "If Owen Coyle was uncertain about what sort or reception he was going to receive from Burnley's fans, he knows only too well now. Hugely hostile, deafening chants of "Judas" before and after he emerged and a selection of insulting banners from supporters still very sore about his defection to Bolton. One banner unfurled before kick-off read "He's Not The Messiah. He's A Very Naughty Boy." When Bolton supporters try to chant their support for Coyle, it is almost drowned out by the sound of fury coming from Burnley's thousands of travelling supporters."

Sounds like a fun match...

MonkeyJuggleDX
26-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Sounds like a fun match...

Doesn't matter if it's fun, we got the points and that's all that matters.

Jebus
28-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Anyone else think Scholes could have been sent off for that tackle last night? Not saying he should of but I loathe the way the commentary team write it off with bull**** like "oh that's a typical scholes challenge" etc.

He's a great player no question but that was an awful "tackle"!

MonkeyJuggleDX
28-01-2010, 02:59 PM
He gets away with it because of who he plays for, just like duck face will get away with the elbowing.

Edit: Just seen the dirty manc scummer has got a 4 game ban. Bout time they got done for something.

Jebus
28-01-2010, 03:04 PM
On different note altogether I'm absolutely delighted that we look to be signing Wiltshere on loan from Arsenal, he's a very promising young player!

prinnysquad
01-02-2010, 10:00 PM
:curse:

Absolutely bloody hideous! More points dropped at home. Lousy performance. One sodding player brought in. Loads shipped out. Paper thin squad. Only three forwards. Linked with rubbish like Benjani and Beattie. No league win since November. The only hope is that 3 more teams are ****ter than us. Again.

prinnysquad
06-02-2010, 05:59 PM
:curse:

Absolutely bloody hideous! More points dropped at home. Lousy performance. No league win since November. The only hope is that 3 more teams are ****ter than us. Again.

Might as well just keep quoting this for the rest of the season.

Jebus
06-02-2010, 06:13 PM
At least your team didn't have Greening fouling the **** out of them the entire game for the ref to ignore it.

Or the ref to chalk off a goal that only he knows why he did it, because he's decided that Kevin Davies is a thug regardless of anything that ACTUALLY happens in a match.

Refs are supposed to be impartial, but the ONLY reason we didn't win today was that the ref believed the reputation the likes of Ferguson and co have made real about Davies.

If video replays were allowed today, we'd have won the match and gotten 3 points, instead we're left with 1 point because of a referee's bias and incompetance. Can't have video replays though, can't have the game actually being fair now can we?

Adrock
06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Usually I take what you say with a pinch of salt Jebus, but I just saw the Davies disallowed effort. I honestly cant see any push from Davies, hilarious refereeing. Especially to say he saw a clear two handed push.

I'm very happy for Hull today, Altidore's finish was very good. Stroked it beautifully into the corner.

Jebus
07-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Not sure if I should say thank you or be offended! :)

But yeah, as much as Davies upsets people, not only does he commit the most fouls every season, he's also the most fouled by opposition.

Thing is, the ref has obviously made up his mind on the player, which is just plain wrong.

Everyone should have a clean slate at the start of 90 minutes, not some incapable idiot officiating a match with a clear bias ruining a game.

Then again, how often do we say a ref "ruined a game" nowdays, it's a joke and football is so far behind in many ways it's a joke.

Every year I feel my love for the sport fading, not because of my team, but because of the incompetance by the people running it.

For example, why was Pompey's transfer ban lifted? What single reason could they give to be allowed to continue to buy players when they still haven't paid other clubs for previous deals?

Oh and on a total side note, after the Liverpool vs Everton match yesterday, Jaime Redknapp managed to jump to the top of my "most hated pundits" list. Paul Merson is still there as well, but Jamie is right up there with him now.

parkinho
07-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Fantastic victory for Burnley over West Ham yesterday, and despite a very nervy last ten minutes it was thoroughly deserved. Good to see Brian Laws chalk up his first victory as Burnley boss, and hopefully it can be the result to kick start the season after the previous regime had allowed the club to go into freefall since the end of October.

Laws has made a very positive impression since taking over, particularly with his dealings in the transfer market where the acquisitions of Leon Cort, Danny Fox and Jack Cork add quality to the team where it has been desperately needed. Plus it seems he has already added a gritty resolve that we have been crying out for. Next 4 home games are vital - Portsmouth, Stoke, Blackburn and Wolves. If we can pick up 7+ points from those fixtures we will give ourselves a massive chance for survival.

On an unrelated side note, my condolences to the friends and family of the Blackburn fan who tragically died due to an incident at Stoke yesterday.

Kieran76
07-02-2010, 01:53 PM
I will be rooting for Burnley for the rest of the season. I hope Brian can do a good job there and become a Turf Moor legend.

Stoppy2000
07-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Oh and on a total side note, after the Liverpool vs Everton match yesterday, Jaime Redknapp managed to jump to the top of my "most hated pundits" list. Paul Merson is still there as well, but Jamie is right up there with him now.

What did he say? he cant be worse than Jim Beglin? He was practically wetting himself when it looked like Leeds might beat spurs.

Jebus
07-02-2010, 03:55 PM
He may as well have been wearing a Liverpool shirt, he just kept on and on...

prinnysquad
07-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Kev Phillips still working magic in the box. Nice segment on MOTD highlighting what a thoughtful footballer he's become.

stevie vip 99
08-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Kev Phillips still working magic in the box. Nice segment on MOTD highlighting what a thoughtful footballer he's become.

The bloke is top quality, i'm glad he's at my blues, may not get many games now but still knows what to do with a football

Jebus
08-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Gary Cahill apparently out for 6 months because of a clot in his shoulder.

Muamba and Andy O'Brien doubtful for tomorrows game at Man City as well.

Double ****.

prinnysquad
08-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Jordan Henderson out for 6 weeks. Our best proper winger.

But it's ok. Because Maggie Boss signed loads of cover in the window.

Flabio
09-02-2010, 06:22 PM
There's a slim, but growing, possibility that by this ime tomorrow Portsmouth FC may no longer exist. Not in administration, just plain liquidated. If the judge deems that there's no chance of someone coming up with the cash to pay the tax debt then he can rule that administration would be just dicking around.

Gotta pax the taxman. He always wins in the end.

Jebus
09-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Great cheating from the refs again tonight.

1-0 down, stone wall penalty, free kick to city.

Right on.

prinnysquad
09-02-2010, 08:58 PM
My turn now Jebus. At least your team are trying!

1-0 up against a club on their knees, who are down to ten men, thanks to a dodgy penalty.

Two utter CU*TS get sent off and we scrape a draw.

There's something MASSIVELY wrong at this club, they are awful. Awful management, no investment in a team going down faster than a whore on a punter, no drive, no discipline. TWELVE matches without a win now, including points dropped against Portsmouth (twice), Wigan (twice), Stoke and Blackburn; teams that, in order to prove that the club is moving forward, should be getting put to the sword, at least at home.

I have zero faith in this oaf at the moment, any other manager would be getting dragged across the coals following this **** run and an dire, dire window. Fat useless bastard.

MonkeyJuggleDX
09-02-2010, 09:16 PM
I think that this rate we can both be looking forward to those trips to Barnsley and Doncaster next season.

You because your lot just can't be arsed, us because it seems the officials are on a mission to send us down.

prinnysquad
09-02-2010, 09:29 PM
So cheesed off with chunder face. I can't see where a win will come from. We aren't going to get anything away to bigger teams, and he's royally screwed up against the lesser teams. He has dropped massive amounts of points against teams that he had to beat at home. Four sides below us have a game in hand too. The squad is just pube thin, Ottermole will be banned - the tosser - and Henderson is out for ages. Dire. I'm still aghast at that transfer window. Benjani is hopeless, couldn't score at an orgy, and injury prone. Hutton hasn't played for yonks. Mag ditched bodies and didn't replace them.

Europe my arse, it's another relegation battle if this carries on for a few more games. It's ok though, two of our next three games are away ... to Arsenal and Villa. Guaranteed points there.

parkinho
09-02-2010, 09:31 PM
I'll join in the whinging - Fulham scored 2 goals in the first half that were clearly offside, yet the totally incompetent linesman allowed them to stand. Load of ****e, we have lads who ref and run the line on a Sunday morning who are miles better than these supposedly 'professional' morons. Bah.

abigsmurf
10-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Looks like Portsmouth are doomed to administration now. Big tax bill and lots of court orders heading their way.

It's rather depressing that their already awful performance on the pitch will probably get much much worse.

abigsmurf
17-02-2010, 12:30 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8519941.stm

Things just keep getting better for the club

abigsmurf
18-02-2010, 10:04 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/18/wolves-fined-manchester-united

Wolves not only got a joke of a fine (£25K) but it was suspended. Basically going "we've no chance of a win, we're not even going to try" is utterly appalling and it's pretty much match fixing.

He brought up big clubs resting players before a big cup game but the difference is that they still play a team that stands a good chance of winning.

Hope Wolves go down at the end of the season.

nakamura
18-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I think it was a great decision by McCarthy. The fact it seemed to break rules makes the fine deserved but really what he did is no different to resting players in a cup match.

abigsmurf
18-02-2010, 10:15 AM
But even resting players in a cup match, you're still playing to win. Also in a cup match, the only one who is affected is you and your opponents. In a league match, not trying and giving a team an easy ride affects a large number of teams.

By resting almost the entire squad for the game after in the same competition he went out and basically implied "we stand no chance of beating Man U, lets give up and save the players for the game after which we could win".

Kieran76
18-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Surely the argument works both ways though doesn't it. How many times have Rooney, Gerrard etc sat on the bench when the big clubs play so called smaller teams in the league. I know Wolves did it on a larger scale but imo this is impossible to police.

C'
18-02-2010, 11:08 AM
"Players in Wolves Squad Not Good Enough for League" says Premier League

:)

abigsmurf
18-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Surely the argument works both ways though doesn't it. How many times have Rooney, Gerrard etc sat on the bench when the big clubs play so called smaller teams in the league. I know Wolves did it on a larger scale but imo this is impossible to police.

The difference is that even if they rest players, they still put out a squad that's competitive. There was near zero chance of the squad Wolves put out winning.

EJG1980
18-02-2010, 01:17 PM
The difference is that even if they rest players, they still put out a squad that's competitive. There was near zero chance of the squad Wolves put out winning.

The bigger teams though are much more able to do that than Wolves because they have the resources to build a squad with quality running right the way through it, with even third choice players being fairly decent.

Wolves first team is only on the edge of Premier League quality, they're not going to have a squad loaded with quality below that first eleven.

Jebus
18-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I thought what Wolves did was brilliant, it's about time someone stood up and said "This league is ****ing pointless, I'm not risking my players in a match we can't win".

The fact he's fined for it yet Arsenal, Man Utd and the like are allowed to "rest" players for the cups just show yet again how much the sport is geared towards certain clubs.

I love the way people assume he "threw the match". What do you think those players who replaced the first teamers though? They knew that this was their big chance, they didn't "let man united win" at all.

This whole thing stinks in my book.

Smurf, your arguement is insane to me. Whatever squad he put out they had "literally zero chance" to win. He did the sensible thing, he knew his fights lay elsewhere so made sure his best players had a rest for a more winnable game, in turn giving fringe players the chance to impress the manager. If they are on the books at the club then it's up to the manager which team he puts out, not the league.

EJG1980
18-02-2010, 03:25 PM
The fact he's fined for it yet Arsenal, Man Utd and the like are allowed to "rest" players for the cups just show yet again how much the sport is geared towards certain clubs.

As someone mentioned in a letter to Football 365 today, Liverpool played a weakened team against Fulham before their Champions League final in 2007 (it had nine changes from their team that had beaten Chelsea earlier in the week) and Fulham got three points that saved them from relegation.

No different to what Wolves did in my book, but you'll never see a team the size of Liverpool being punished.

There really is no point in saying it's a squad game and then punishing teams if they use their squad.

And, as I think I've said before, it wouldn't happen if their wasn't such a gulf in terms of finances between the top and bottom (heck, even the top and the middle) of the league, or the financial impact of relegation wasn't so harsh.

abigsmurf
18-02-2010, 04:14 PM
I thought what Wolves did was brilliant, it's about time someone stood up and said "This league is ****ing pointless, I'm not risking my players in a match we can't win".

I love the way people assume he "threw the match". What do you think those players who replaced the first teamers though? They knew that this was their big chance, they didn't "let man united win" at all.

This whole thing stinks in my book.

Smurf, your arguement is insane to me. Whatever squad he put out they had "literally zero chance" to win. He did the sensible thing, he knew his fights lay elsewhere so made sure his best players had a rest for a more winnable game, in turn giving fringe players the chance to impress the manager. If they are on the books at the club then it's up to the manager which team he puts out, not the league.

Why bother turning up for matches against big sides then? Just forfeit the match in advance. That way you can ensure you've a fully rested team for the games you stand a chance in.

There is a MASSIVE difference between Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool resting some key players before a big european game and what Wolves did (and the league have specifically said this.

Wolves changed 10 players from the one that played Spurs before. They only had a single first team player on the pitch. That is not even trying. Frankly if you aren't going make an attempt to compete, there are plenty of team in the championship who'd be more than pleased to swap with you and give it your all.

It's disrespectful to the league and it's disrespectful to your travelling supporters not to put out a team you are confident will give you a comparatively good chance of winning.

Flabio
18-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Another piece on the BBC from a financial 'expert' who claims that Pompey might well be refused administration and go straight into liquidation.

Pompey have also apparently asked the premier league to let them sell players outside of the window to raise some cash. Good luck with that, the window is a FIFA thing and Sepp isn't known for being charitable.

Jebus
18-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Why bother turning up for matches against big sides then? Just forfeit the match in advance. That way you can ensure you've a fully rested team for the games you stand a chance in.

There is no point turning up for those matches. I know it's hard for a Chelsea fan to grasp, but the disparity between a club like yours and a club like Wolves is leagues apart. A team like Chelsea comes and takes what it wants.

Look at Anelka, we took a chance on him, spent big on him, risked a lot and we were right to do it, then suddenly Chelsea come along and he's gone. Teams like the Wolves of the world have one aim : Survival.

If you fine Wolves then I want to see Chelsea fined for playing Hilario in the cup instead of Cech, Sturridge instead of Anelka, Wellbeck instead of Rooney, N'Gog instead of Torres or any number of the Arsenal "kids" instead of any number of their first teamers.

There is a MASSIVE difference between Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool resting some key players before a big european game and what Wolves did (and the league have specifically said this.

Wolves changed 10 players from the one that played Spurs before. They only had a single first team player on the pitch. That is not even trying. Frankly if you aren't going make an attempt to compete, there are plenty of team in the championship who'd be more than pleased to swap with you and give it your all.Again, I totally disagree. Chelsea or Manchester United have strength in depth that if they played Wolves in the cup, their third team would probably still win. Wolves do not and CAN NOT have that strength in depth. If Mick McCarthy decides as the manager of his club to rest his "first" team and play his fringe players against Manchester United, that should be his choice as the manager of Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club. Of course it's disrespectful to the fans, and the league, as you mentioned.

As for the "plenty" of championship teams, yeah, no doubt there are, but most of them would go straight down again that season anyway, Wolves still have a chance of staying up.

It's disrespectful to the league and it's disrespectful to your travelling supporters not to put out a team you are confident will give you a comparatively good chance of winning.Whereas putting out third choice players in a cup competition that is supposed to be much revered is 100% respectful to the tournament, the game in general and the fans who fork out the money on the tickets?

There is no difference between the two, and anyone trying to force a difference where there is none is either utterly biased or thinks it's okay to disrespect the cup but not the league, which is bull****.

Most of your opinion on this matter seems dredged in lashings of "I support a big club so therefore have no idea what it's like to have a team that only has a first team, not three teams capable of turning other sides over" to be honest.

You just don't get it, you don't understand what it's like to see the weekend fixture of "Wolves vs Chelsea" and to know, before kick-off that you are more than likely to lose that match. The disparity is enormous and I don't think the fans of the "big clubs" understand it whatsoever.

Oh and I couldn't give a flying **** what "the league" has to say on anything! This is the same league that protects officials from ANY criticism despite EVIDENCE to warrant it, fining managers who (correctly, with evidence to boot) speak out against them. This is the same league that allow Portsmouth to transfer new players in, despite owing money to other clubs for prior transfers, just so they don't go out of business and the league looks bad for letting it happen.

The very same league that delays kick-off times by 10 seconds because Sky aren't ready.

As someone mentioned in a letter to Football 365 today, Liverpool played a weakened team against Fulham before their Champions League final in 2007 (it had nine changes from their team that had beaten Chelsea earlier in the week) and Fulham got three points that saved them from relegation.

No different to what Wolves did in my book, but you'll never see a team the size of Liverpool being punished.

Aye, and there's the rub.

It's incredible really, Chelsea got their transfer ban lifted and everything! Amazing how a team can be fined for using their squad as they see fit, yet a hugely succesful club dripping with cash from a wealthy owner can get out of a transfer ban!

nakamura
18-02-2010, 09:01 PM
OK then, what would people say had Wolves beaten Man Utd?

prinnysquad
18-02-2010, 09:11 PM
I remember back in the early part of the decade when ManYoo sent a team full of reserves and kids to play Sunderland in a cup game. Sunderland fielded a near-full strength team. Sunderland ended up scraping a 2-1 win. All the media could do was masturbate vigorously over this incredible line up of mostly non-first teamers who nearly beat a team riding high (at the time), in their own stadium.

Teams:
Sunderland: Sørensen (sub 90, Macho), Makin (sub 46, McCann), Gray, Thome (sub 86, Varga), Craddock, Arca, Hutchison, Rae, Williams, Phillips, Dichio. Subs: Schwarz, Quinn.
Manchester United: Van der Gouw, Clegg, P Neville, Johnsen (sub 83, Stewart), O Shea, Fortune, Greening, Wallwork (sub 108, Webber), Solskjaer, Yorke (OFF 82), Chadwick (sub 95, Healy). Subs: Djordjic, Rachubka.

Flabio
19-02-2010, 08:50 AM
OK then, what would people say had Wolves beaten Man Utd?
Ha Ha?

Jebus
21-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Potentially enormo 10 days for the Trotters.

Started okay with a 0-0 draw at Wigan (that pitch is a disgrace, I don't know how/why they aren't fined, our local non-league side has a better pitch! I literally saw Muamba chest the ball down and as it hit the floor it flew in the opposite direction, Matty Taylor had a shot on target and it hit the ground and when the opposite direction), but now we have a MASSIVE away game today at 12:00 noon against another local rival in Blackburn.

Then mid-week we have Spurs away from home.

That's a lot of games in a short space of time for a club with an "okay" squad size.

****ting bricks about today, I feel we have better quality than Blackburn at the moment but they are good at home. I feel a hope we have is that Allardyce will be giving it the largeness about how great he is to his players, it's always about him after all!

Dunn always has a stormer against us though and I believe he's pushing to be fit for it. Thankfully for us I've heard Klasnic is ready to feature, which is a godsend as without him and Cahill we have very few goalscorers at the moment.

Jebus
21-02-2010, 12:49 PM
We are going down.

Seriously, I can't see us getting more than 7 points from the rest of the season.

abigsmurf
21-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Wow, talk about a collapse, Villa scored 4 goals in 12 minutes

Flabio
26-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Pompey officially into administration then. 9 point penalty, thats them down then.

abigsmurf
26-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Seems the risk of them folding completely has subsided a bit though, HMRC seem to have backed off a bit on demands for their tax money. They're using Portsmouth to set an example though, they'll want their bill to be prioritised else they'll go for a winding up order again.

EJG1980
26-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Pompey officially into administration then. 9 point penalty, thats them down then.

At least they haven't gone out of business and might have a chance to consolidate and then rebuild in the Championship next season (if they get in some sensible owners for a change).

From a selfish point of view I'm glad, because if they'd gone out of business and all their results had been voided, Liverpool would have gained some extra points as they lost to them earlier this season. It's gonna be hard enough for Spurs to finish fourth as it is without stuff like that helping other teams.

Jebus
26-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Apparently they might get a -20 for the start of next season, did I hear that correctly?

I'm not sad at all. The club has been GROSSLY mismanaged (no small part thanks to 'arry for the obscene wages he got players in on) and I think this is a long time coming.

merf
26-02-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm no fan of arry but he probably didn't do the deals, if the chief exec (Peter Storrey, one of the highest paid in the prem apparently !) tells arry he can have a player and does the deal then the blame lies further up the chain.

like you say though long time coming, no way Pompey could sustain their wage and transfer bill on 20,000 crowds and standard prem money. Leeds & West Ham all over again

SharkSkin-Man
26-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Good riddance, worst ground in the league and one of the most awful towns in the country to visit.

MonkeyJuggleDX
26-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Good new for Bolton. Seems that Gary Cahill could be back in four weeks.

EJG1980
26-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm not sad at all. The club has been GROSSLY mismanaged (no small part thanks to 'arry for the obscene wages he got players in on) and I think this is a long time coming.

Gotta defend Harry on that one, as said above, the fault surely lies with the higher ups at the club.

If Harry says he wants to buy player X, his club want £10 million and he wants fifty grand per week, and his chairman says to go ahead and do the deal, why should Harry doubt that the owner has deep enough pockets to cover it? We don't even know if Harry was directly involved in deciding what fees and wages to pay anyway.

If they didn't have the money they should have said "Sorry Harry, can't afford it, find someone cheaper."

Geoff D
26-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Apparently they might get a -20 for the start of next season, did I hear that correctly?

Depends on how long they stay in admin for & whether they get a CVA (company voluntary arrangement) in place. If not, they'll face further points deductions.

prinnysquad
28-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Wow, another terrific result at home in a "must-win" game.

Do us all a favour you fat wrinkled Mag tosser and take a **** standing on your head.

Jebus
28-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Ref absolutely bottled it in the United vs Villa cup final.

Vidic should have gone and the game is totally different.

Wonder what explanation the ref could give for not sending Vidic off?

Better team won after that, though Rooney is...he's just incredible.

MonkeyJuggleDX
07-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Two wins on the bounce with Sunderland and Wigan up next. If we keep playing the way we have been, by next weekend we could be all but safe.

prinnysquad
07-03-2010, 11:55 AM
That's three wins on the bounce then.

I used this on msn, but it's worth using again:

Sunderland are sinking faster than your gaming credibility.

Jebus
07-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say we'd be safe, but yeah, looking better than recent times.

Davies and Elmander finally looking a big convincing, I'm backing Elmo to score against Sunderland. Davo was looking poor but against the Hammers he had one of those games that remind you how brilliant he is.

LOL @ prinny's comments.

Team Andromeda
08-03-2010, 10:38 AM
I hope Bolton do make it, Really like and rate Owen Coyle always seems to speak sense, and what he did for Burnley defies belief , shame some of the fans forget that .

Plough Boy
09-03-2010, 08:22 PM
ROFL @ Bolton and fUmMYdWaD.

Come on! I mean......the mackems!!

prinnysquad
09-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Owen Coyle and his Band of Men - You have bought dishonour to the Knights of The Longball chivalric order. You have abandoned your roots,

All fumm1dwud players should be whipped around Old Bolton Town. Better a long punt from the back and a Kevin Davies knock down than get humped off Magboss ****e.

prinnysquad
11-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Still a bit quiet there FunMiDoDd?

Peter Kay! Amir Khan! Emma Forbes! Vernon Kay! Paul Nicholls! Michael Bolton! Del Trotter! Fammy-DoDD! Can you hear me? FAMMYDODD! Your boys took one hell of a beating!

MonkeyJuggleDX
13-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Talk about a backlash!! Even Muamba scored!

prinnysquad
13-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Talk about a backlash!! Even Muamba scored!

Nice of you to crawl out from under your stone, DwaddYFaM.

I heard that the pen was a bad decision, and that the score flattered you. Sound familiar?

Jebus
15-03-2010, 01:09 PM
I see Browny has been booted out of Hull then!