Blu-Ray Best Of The Best - for discussing releases only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-Ray Best Of The Best - for discussing releases only

The thread to talk about the better BD discs on offer at the moment.

--

Superman Returns [VC1 codec] - Excellent, flawless picture. Everything looks suitably highly-defined especially the city-scape shots, which look absolutely stunning in 1080p.
    Last edited by VR46; 19-06-2007, 21:21.

My Crank came through today. Can't wait to watch it as i missed it at the cinema. Just hope i can stay awake after the nipper has gone to bed.
    Last edited by Mad Gear; 15-01-2007, 16:15.

Comment

You get yours from Movietyme, mate? Still waiting on mine.

Comment

Nah, DVDworldusa. Took a week from release to arrive with the free shipping.

I had T2 but wasn't overly impressed tbh. It was nice but didn't blow me away. I can't really afford to buy loads of old stuff especially as i've already got them on DVD. HD movies are nice but i can take em or leave em.

Comment

OK so i watched Crank last night. I thought the transfer was really good. There's lots of close ups of faces which show up some really nice detail. The lighting also looks top notch especially when Chev is in the pool.

Shame i thought the actual movie was a tub of arse. I probably would've thought it was the best movie ever if i was 15. The only saving grace is that Statham didn't have to put one of his American ' accents ' on.

Comment

got goodfellas today on blu ray. movie image seems quite grainy anyone know if it meant to be like this

Comment

Watched Crank tonight, thought it was really entertaining.

Wasn't expective an Oscar winner, didn't get one.

As for the best Blue Rays, Ice Age 2 gets my vote, stunning tranfer.

Comment

Kingdom of Heaven seemed like quite a nice disc. I actually preferred it to Superman Returns.

Comment

Got UK Talladega Nights today.
                  On the back it lists regions A,B and C, and says all region.
                  I've been playing it on my Jap PS3 no probs.

Is this a one-off in regards to being all region, or have Sony changed their mind about region coding?
                  It's a Sony Pictures release, so is it up to the publisher?

Comment

Does anyone here have Unforgiven, and if so what's it like?
                    It's pretty much the only disc I want right now.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man View Post
                      Does anyone here have Unforgiven, and if so what's it like?
                      It's pretty much the only disc I want right now.
                      Being a Warner disc, I'd imagine it's the same transfer as the HD-DVD release - which is a peach.

Review here.

Comment

Thanks

Now I just need to find it on the cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by spinpug666 View Post

Is this a one-off in regards to being all region, or have Sony changed their mind about region coding?
                          So this will work on a US PS3 too? Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by spinpug666 View Post

Sony?s position is that on catalogue titles they probably will not enforce a region code on the disc, though there may still be some exceptions (censorship, legal issues...etc). On new releases, it?s the US discs they are most likely to lock to region A. By the time the same film gets a release on Region B?etc it would, obviously, be at a later date after it?s already come out in the States, so it?s fair to assume a fair few European discs would be all regions.

It is up to the publisher though, yes. Warner and Paramount think region coding is a waste of time, and they?re one of the reasons it does not exist in the HD DVD format in any form. In accordance with their feelings on the matter, none of their Blu Ray releases are locked either. I?ve heard Lionsgate?s Blu Ray releases are currently also region free.

Fox and Disney strongly enforce the region coding in all territories.

Comment

The best discs for me right now are House of Flying Daggers (shame there's no Hero!), Kung Fu Hustle (shame there's no Shaolin Soccer!).

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is out in Japan with English subs, unfortunately the subs are only for the main movie and not for the extras; double unfortunately it cost nearly 40 quid!!!

Aside from that Enter the Dragon is coming out in the US very soon. I presume this will be the same as the HDDVD version which has been cleaned up significantly.

Discs already out that I'd get if I hadn't seen them so many times before are Unforgiven and the Searchers.

There really isn't that much more out there that is of any interest to me, and I check almost daily. Come on Sony!! You've got a million+ PS3 owners gagging for blu ray discs, get them out there!

Comment

Working...
                              X