Lionel Messi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lionel Messi

I was listening to Talksport yesterday and that tw@t Ray Houghton was on there claiming that Rooney is better than Messi by "a long way", I sh*t you not. Sky Sports News also had the gall to compare the two players, reading off stats about them scoring pretty much the same number of goals in the same number of games, at least until yesterday's hat-trick.

Well, I've decided to create this thread in homage of a player who is undoubtedly the finest player on the planet and who just might be the greatest player I will ever witness in my lifetime. For anyone who hasn't yet seen any of his goals he scored in the last week, here they are. All eight of them. His second against Zaragoza was just a little bit special.

He is simply amazing and easily the best player on the planet right now. His second and third goals yesterday were fantastic and his movement and control for the second goal and winning the penalty was genius with defenders literally falling over themselves trying to stop him.

Rooney is a fantastic player, in the form of his life, and definitely the best player in the PL right now but even he cannot match up.

Comment

I don't agree. I do believe Rooney to be the best in the world at the moment just edging out Messi.
      Messi is without doubt amazing but I would love to see him play in the premier league to see if he can cope with less time, space and a more physical nature combined with players that might not just show him on his left foot everytime!
      All of his goals lately are left foot, yes he is perhaps one of the hardest to tackle but at least block is way to goal.

Rooney is exceptional, all over the park. Heading(now), shooting, tracking back, passing etc etc. I would say he is the most complete player ever seen.

Comment

Houghton was a cracking player, but man he is a twat of epic proportions now.

Messi - Great player.

Rooney - Excellent player having a great season.

Comment

Even as a Man Utd fan, Rooney has had one world class season, where as Messi has had many. He is by far a better player. Rooney needs to produce the same form next season.

Comment

How is rooney just having a great season? He has had at least 3 amazing seasons just this time he is the main man. Ronaldo has gone from the spotlight and Rooney has proved the most expensive player on the planted has not been missed.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
              Messi is without doubt amazing but I would love to see him play in the premier league to see if he can cope with less time, space and a more physical nature combined with players that might not just show him on his left foot everytime!
              All of his goals lately are left foot, yes he is perhaps one of the hardest to tackle but at least block is way to goal.
              You're not a journalist for an English tabloid, per chance? Besides, Messi gave a perfect example of how well he'd play against Premiership opposition in last season's CL final.

Comment

Messy is better at dribbling with the ball than Rooney, but thats about it, I agree Messi would probabaly have trouble finding space in alot of Premier league games too, in spain the matches are far more open.

They are clearly both fantastic but I think Rooney brings more to the table.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                You're not a journalist for an English tabloid, per chance? Besides, Messi gave a perfect example of how well he'd play against Premiership opposition in last season's CL final.
                Man U were crap in last years final, and again when he scored that header he had about 20 yards of space I'm not sure if anyone even noticed he was there (I guess he is small)...

That kind of stuff would not happen very often in the PL though.

Comment

How is rooney just having a great season? He has had at least 3 amazing seasons just this time he is the main man. Ronaldo has gone from the spotlight and Rooney has proved the most expensive player on the planted has not been missed.
                  Then surely that means Ronaldo was better than him if he was in his shadow. Rooney has not been close to Messi in the last 3 seasons. This is really the only season where he's been consistent. The others he would have a goal spurt and then be quiet.

Comment

How can you base how he would play week in week out on 1 match? And the most important match of the season too? You can't.

Comment

How can you base how he would play week in week out on 1 match?
                      It's better than basing how he'd play on pure conjecture like you did though, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Prototype View Post
                        Then surely that means Ronaldo was better than him if he was in his shadow. Rooney has not been close to Messi in the last 3 seasons. This is really the only season where he's been consistent. The others he would have a goal spurt and then be quiet.
                        Not at all. Ronaldo was so arrogant he made himself the star. Ronaldo commanded the 80m price tag by himself. He made himself appear to be the best while Rooney was happy doing the donkey work in the background.

Comment

I think Messi is a much better player.

Rooney relies heavily on quality deliveries for his goals. It's why Ronaldo overshadowed him (less crosses aimed at him) when they played together and why he's nowhere near as effective playing for England.

Comment

It's better than basing how he'd play on pure conjecture like you did though, surely?
                            Nope. I didn't say he couldn't do it. I said I would like to see it. I think the PL is a better league at the moment than Spain. Its fast, tighter, more physical and sure less technical. At the moment I would like to see any of the worlds best see if they can make it here.

Comment

Ronaldo was so arrogant he made himself the star.
                              Hehe, on Football Weekly, Sid Lowe likened Ronaldo to the big kid over the park. Nobody actually enjoys playing alongside him, but you know that with him in the side the opposition have no chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X