World Cup 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup 2010

time for a thread to discuss this now we are one month away from it all kicking off.

all the injuries for England are at least stopping a lot of the hype we usually get, problem though being that we'll turn up with a bunch of crocks or second choices.

can't say I'm that bothered if Barry misses out as he's never impressed me, if he wasn't left footed he'd never have got anywhere near the england team, he's a lefty David Dunn.

don't believe he's seriously considering taking Hargreaves, decent player but he's not played for 2 years. would take Ledley King though.

so tomorrow we get a few answers with Capello's initial 30 named

I'm not a massive fan of the national team so I'll just be taking in the football on offer. See which countries have any weird characters etc. Anyone else got the Panini album?

Comment

If he takes Heskey I may just shoot myself.

Comment

My interest in the England squad is largely hoping Chelsea players don't get injured or have a bad time. The John Terry thing pretty much extinguished the last verges of support I had for the team (and now The Sun has the cheek to do all these ads in support of England).

Anyhow, England don't have enough depth in strikers to realistically be in with a shout. They've beaten plenty of mediocre teams but generally struggled badly against the few quality sides they've played under Capello.

Comment

if you look for a link in all the decent England performances of recent time (going back to the 1-5 in Germany) and ask Wayne Rooney who he wants to play alongside you get the same answer, Emile Heskey.

he's going to be like Teddy Sheringham, will only get credit at international level very late in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            If he takes Heskey I may just shoot myself.
            If you want to live, ask someone to hide the gun quick.

Comment

I'm no fan of football but I do make an exception for the World Cup, great event.

Miss most of the fever up here, love it when we go down south and see the waves of red and white. I'll not be displaying any flags etc on the car as I don't want my windows bricked. Yes, they are that petty up here over football.

Comment

My current prediction is for England to win their group, but then get knocked out by Serbia in the first knockout round.

Remember, if we finish second in our group then we almost certainly get Germany in first knockout... We're in a pretty tough part of the draw.

Spain all the way for me, although there's the possibility of the getting Brazil or Portugal quite early on in the knockout stage.

South Africa to be the first hosts to not get past the group stage in an absolute age as well.

Comment

Now the league has finished i guess its a month of delusions of grandeur.
                  followed by the reality of getting knocked out on pens.

Comment

To the Germans, yeah? That's nothing new.

Comment

the media as always will push delusions of an England win but I'm not getting that sense of expectation from people I talk to.

The golden generation have been proven to be a myth repeatedly, what we have is a solid squad that lacks a bit of pace and isn't in the top echelon at international level.

I'd say par for us is quarters, with a bit of luck or inspiration maybe a semi but that would be over-achievement.

Comment

Lot's of people will come out the woodwork to get behind England, complete with their flags on their cars. I guarantee it.

So who are you lot tipping to win it? I'll go with Spain even ahead of Brazil.

Comment

Originally posted by Kongster View Post
                          Lot's of people will come out the woodwork to get behind England, complete with their flags on their cars. I guarantee it.

So who are you lot tipping to win it? I'll go with Spain even ahead of Brazil.
                          The flag thing always makes me laugh, people flying their cheap chinese made flags from their foreign made cars to show some supposed national pride for a month while a load of overpaid over rated multi millionaires flounder on some foreign pitch.

My predications, the bbc will catlick Sven, the ball will be a hyper penny floater filled with helium and England will be defeated by the hot conditions(and the bobbins squad)

I reckon the usual suspects to win it from Italy, Germany, Brazil with Spain an outside shot.

Comment

What about ITV?

Comment

there is a formula you can use developed by Stefan Szymanski, its quite accurate (75% success rate) but falls down a bit as has some fudges for pens & I don't think it works too well for draws.

it takes the factors of population, GDP per capita, international footy experience to give an expected goal difference.

he has England going out to Germany in the first KO stage and the final between Serbia & Brazil !

other question is will Sth Africa be the first host nation to not make it to the KO stage ?

Comment

Working...
                              X