SC2 or VF4 Evo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC2 or VF4 Evo?

I am talking about about the Gamecube edition of Soul Calibur II here, not the PS2 or Xbox version.

The only decent beat 'em up I have at present is Bushido Blade, so I want to expand my horizons accordingly. I had Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, obviously, but some bastard nicked it. I also use to adore VF2 (in the arcades).

So, which one should I get (bear in mind that I can only really afford one)?

I know I spoke to you a bit about this on the phone earlier Ollie, but for others interested...

SC2 is faaar more accessible- in that the moves are much easier to pull off than VF4 Evo, and everything is beautiful and fast paced so sweet to the eye. This game would appeal to any who just want a bit of a button bash (its very satisfying in that respect) as well as those who want to explore the depths of its combat systems and get totally sick with it. I`d like to add however, that anyone who thinks this is simply a button bashing game knows dick all about games. This game is so accessible that even those who don`t have anyone else around them willing to learn the game or anyone else to play against, will enjoy this game.

VF4 Evo is far more hardcore in that it is totally inaccessible to anyone who wants to button bash. For one, its a stupidly deep game, that will punish you for inprecise movements or bad timing. At a novice level, SC2 is far more forgiving in this respect. If people are prepared to put the proper time into Evo and they do have friends around willing to learn it, the gaming experience and the level of satisfaction it offers are nigh on unparelleled.

Both games are a commitment to learn if you want to get good at them (I`d advise generally at least 20-30minutes a day on most days spent largely in the respective training modes of each game). However, VF4 Evo, is even more of a commitment. With Evo, its pretty necessary IMO to have at least a friend or 2 who are willing to put the time in and learn the game a little for you to get much out of this title.

Comment

Well put, Allan. That seals it for me, then, as none, I repeat, none of my friends are into videogames. It's a shame, because Evo is the sort of game that I used to relish getting into, learning a character and training up with them.

Comment

I've resorted to GIVING my mate VF4 so he can get good at it so ive got someone i can play at VF4evo. He's had it well over a week now, yet knowing him ill bet he hasnt even put it on yet ft:

Comment

Originally posted by mr_sockochris
          I've resorted to GIVING my mate VF4 so he can get good at it so ive got someone i can play at VF4evo. He's had it well over a week now, yet knowing him ill bet he hasnt even put it on yet ft:
          You see the problem with Evo, with regard to the West (and why it will sell about 2 copies upon its PAL and American release) is that its sooooo deep and so unforgiving, that the vast vast majority of Western gamers (99.99999% of them) who`ve been brought up on their so called `experience` games, will not understand the game, see or recognise the depth, nor see the value of the game.

With the depth that Evo has, learning it properly or appreciating it, is not so different to learning a martial art, except for the obvious non-physical nature of the thing. It requires practice, practice, practice and deep and thoughtful consideration of tactics, range, movement, speed and suchlike.

Some of the better players here go as far as to study the differing framerates of each move and dissect the game analytically. They`ll also consider and study, how in the game the `framerate balance` between players changes depending on the situation. What I mean by the framerate balance is simply if player A performs a move that takes only 4 frames of animation at exactly the same time as player B performs a move that takes 6 moves of animation, player A will obviously connect his move.

The `framerate balance` changes in certain situations though. If I hit someone in Evo and he fails to block, I will then have a framrate advantage over that player (for example, player A now has 4 frames advantage over player B who`s character is now slower at performing a move.

The better players will take advantage of this and use appropriate moves. As for the player on the defensive, he has to understand the situation he is in and take appropriate measures. Moves that might have hit while the `framerate balance` was equal probably won`t now, and the better players will understand this and apply this knowledge to their game.

Comment

^ That is truly scary!
            |

Comment

Originally posted by Square
              ^ That is truly scary!
              |
              so ne?

Some of the gamers here really make me sick- but in a good way

I loooove watching sick skill- It really never ceases to amaze or shock me how totally deep some of the gamers here are.

Comment

Tokuda has covered this perfectly. It really is down to the level of commitment you are willing to put down on the game.

Both require dedication to play well (a fact some people don't seem to realise with Soul Calibur which, again Tokuda mentioned, sometimes gets unfairly tarnished as being a button masher) but SC2 is much more forgiving than Evo which will chew you up and spit you out into little bitty pieces if you even consider playing it casually.

Personally, if you haven't played a beat-em up for a while, SC2 is probably your best bet (get the stick as well )

Comment

Like to add, much as SC2 is wonderful for those more casual and those more dedicated who want to learn the game, I`m interested in helping to train up all the more casual on this, as well as the more dedicated .

On Tuesday I`ll post my SC2 advice thread for those who want to try and get really good at the game.

VF4 Evo- thats another matter- I`m still pretty poor at the game, and need to put a lot more time into it.

Comment

This advice thread you are planning, is it going to be an ask you a question and you respond kind of thing or a geberal guide that will start at the basics then move onto the more advanced stuff?

Comment

I loooove watching sick skill- It really never ceases to amaze or shock me how totally deep some of the gamers here are.
                      Sorry to stray slightly off topic from the fighting games mentioned here but having just watched someone chain the entirity of Ikaruga (with a final score of 25M+) I think I can understand what you mean!

Comment

are these games good to start off with ?

i've never really played fighting games apart from tekken and soul calibur alittle bit but have been tempted to get these two

Comment

I hate VF with a vengence . Probably because I am a irritable impatient son of a gun with not enough time on my hands.

If you have an opposite disposition to me , then try VF, you will probably love it.

Comment

Originally posted by wod
                            are these games good to start off with ?

i've never really played fighting games apart from tekken and soul calibur alittle bit but have been tempted to get these two
                            If thats the case, Soul Calibur 2 is definetely your best betrather than VF4 Evo.

In fact Soul Calibur 2 is everyones best bet except for those who wish to be incredibly deep about their fighters and really knuckle down and work work work

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                              This advice thread you are planning, is it going to be an ask you a question and you respond kind of thing or a geberal guide that will start at the basics then move onto the more advanced stuff?
                              Ah sorry mate- I missed this response.

Basically I`ll just have the first post as a general guideline and anyone who wants to ask questions can feel free to do so. It won`t be my thread alone- Any of the Cali players who fancy themselves can offer advice- which I`m guessing means thats probably only me, you, and our friend Saurian.

Comment

Working...
                              X