Saturn Emulation, namely Satourne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturn Emulation, namely Satourne

Found a copuple of Saturn games buried in the house that I wanted to try out again, but alas my saturn died a number of years ago. Anyways, I downloaded Satourne, probably the most stable saturn emulator, but I cant get it to work. Has anyone here managed to get it running? The site itself is of no help at all.

Any help appreciated.

You've gotta understand, the Saturn is a very advanced console (well, advanced sprite pusher) and to my knowledge, will not be Emu'ed properly for some time. Shame.
    I think you'd be better just buying a second-hand Saturn but i personally wouldn't bother with Saturn Emu's just yet.
    Course, someone here may know better!

Comment

Well apparantly Satourne has a very high compatability rate and decent running speed, its just that I dont know how to set it up, what options to select etc etc.

Comment

Is that full compatabilty or full some graphics/sound loss. I know its a small point, but i'm a guy who prefers a true finished EMU rather then cosistant BETAs (which never get completed because the guys get bored!)
        Anyway, Cool. More searching to be done methinks.

Comment

According to Zophar, Satourne doesn't run any commercial games as of yet and will only run Sega internal dev builds.

Saturn emulation is not yet anywhere near completion, simply because of the nightmarish architecture. It will be a good few years of solid work by a dedicated guy who knows what he's doing before you see Saturn games on your PC.

Comment

OR

Given that Sega themselves are releasing some of their Saturn catalogue on PC perhaps some reverse engineering of these may be the order of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by yashiro
              Given that Sega themselves are releasing some of their Saturn catalogue on PC perhaps some reverse engineering of these may be the order of the day
              Cool. I never knew that. I knew that they'd done some coversions (Sega GT, Sonic R) but does this mean i'll finally get to play Nights?.
              Seriously. I never had a Saturn. That was my 100 hz PC/SNES ERA.

I wish they'd release the games on the DC (or PS2). Conversions normally lay bad on PC's. Consoles are smoother.

Comment

Interesting, I've used Cassini, seemed ok but not perfect as PSX emu by a fair bit, so is Saturn that advanced/difficult to emulate or ppl just concentrating on the latter emu more?

Comment

The Saturn isn't/wasn't as popular as the PlayStation, hence more work's been done on PSX emulation.
                  It was relatively popular in Japan though, and funnily enough by far the best Saturn emulator is Japanese - girigiri. Most things I've tried run pretty well (if you've got the PC to cope).
                  I don't think I've managed to get anything playable out of Satourne.

Comment

I have managed to emulate the Saturn reliably for some games with GIRIGIRI. However, this was not at a playable speed (about 8-12fps on my Pentium 4 2.8ghz, 1gb RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 128mb video card).

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon2k4
                      Interesting, I've used Cassini, seemed ok but not perfect as PSX emu by a fair bit, so is Saturn that advanced/difficult to emulate or ppl just concentrating on the latter emu more?
                      I`ve had loads of fun with cassini RSG and Daytona run fine with not a great deal of slow down. Only thing is it seems to mess up the disc region if you leave it on auto. I`ve only used it with original discs so I can`t comment on back ups or cue/bin etc.

Comment

Almost all newer consoles than SNES (excluding GBA) are pretty much hopeless to emulate, it seems to me. :/ Better off buying the console and the games you want to play. It is sad though if you already had a working console which ain't working no more, or if the console is rare.

Comment

Originally posted by SimplF
                          Almost all newer consoles than SNES (excluding GBA) are pretty much hopeless to emulate, it seems to me. :/ Better off buying the console and the games you want to play. It is sad though if you already had a working console which ain't working no more, or if the console is rare.
                          Not really. N64 was emulated years ago and from what I hear PSX emulation is going well (and there was of course Bleem). Next the Dreamcast?

Comment

For the Dreamcast Chankast isn' too bad it's got quite high compatability and good speed. I think that Sega use an advanced version of Giri Giri for there PC convertions as Girir Giri has been discontinued to the public i think.

Comment

Working...
                            X