Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution - The generations best 3d fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution - The generations best 3d fighter

Tonight I had the pleasure of playing what I now consider to be the best 3d fighting game of this generation, and quite possibly the finest 3d fighter Ive ever played. Ill start by saying Im nowhere near an expert at this game, far from it, but I am able to tell whether or not a game has that cutting edge and quality that raises the bar for the genre, and this game must surely represent that.

The VF series has always been great, at one time I loved Tekken until it became tired and stale, yet with each update the Virtua Fighter series continues to improve, and Evo must surely be the pinnacle of the series and the defining game in the genre.

The fighting feels so real, shots to the body whether by punch or kick really do feel like they connect, the game is instinctive, addictive and deep. Its also very beautiful, the jagged ugliness of VF4 has all but disappeared, characters are beautifully drawn and animated, the environments are striking, and the inclusion of Goh (sp?) is particularly noticeable (him reminding me a lot of Nomak from Blade 2) for me as Im sure he will be one character I will stick with once I finally own the game myself.

Perhaps this game will be overshadowed by Soul Calibur 2, yet whilst that game seems to increasingly disappoint the hardcore fans of the original, the general consensus on VF4 is that its gameplay is superior in almost every way. In not about to write Soul Calibur 2 off just yet until I have spent a lot more time with it, yet already I feel it has its work cut out if it intends to be spoken of in the same circles as VF4 Evo.

I particulary love the way each fighter has developed with each game. In VF4 i rarely touched Pai as in VF3 she was basically a faster & weaker Lau. But i did some of the Quest mode with her today and boy has she changed. No longer a Lau clone but a totally different style to learn. The same goes for how Sarah has totally changed from Jacky. I love the new fighters, especially Brad at the moment, and Goh is one i know will be fantastic hard to master character in an Akira like way when i get round to learning him.

I still cant stand Jeffry though

Comment

jacky has changed a fair bit from VF4 to VF4evo. He's less cheap I think, doesn't have his >+K knee launcher, and also has a couple of new throws. It's the same for all the characters really, all tweaked and tuned.

I definitely think it's the best 3D fighter of all time so far.

Comment

Whilst I was in Japan, no one hardly played Soul Caliber 2 but it seemed like for some reason everyone was playing VF Evo.

I think people don't like the VF series 'cause it really is a beat em up for masters. It really is a deep, technical game and not really for newbies at all. Unlike Soul Caliber or Tekken where you can get instant results from button bashing...

Comment

Originally posted by phillai
          Whilst I was in Japan, no one hardly played Soul Caliber 2 but it seemed like for some reason everyone was playing VF Evo.

I think people don't like the VF series 'cause it really is a beat em up for masters. It really is a deep, technical game and not really for newbies at all. Unlike Soul Caliber or Tekken where you can get instant results from button bashing...
          Indeed. VF4 Evo is the most popular arcade game here in many years.

But be careful what you say in terms of Soul Calibur and button bashing- its not that you get instant results from button bashing-^ more that the game is stil fun and enjoyable if you do- any button bashers on Soul Cali get their arse handed to them by any good player of the game. The same can`t really be said of Tekken 4 though.

As for VF4 Evo- I agree its this generations best fighter for those willing to put the enormous time and efort required for it.

Personally Soul Calibur 2 is still my favourite fighter though.

Comment

I'm just recovering from another hectic weekend vf4 session and I can tell you this, the game just gets more and more rewarding the more you play it.
            I think another factor to consider is whether you were a fan back in the days of VF1,2 or 3, me myself having properly started playing the series towards the end of the vf3 era ,I can say that it helped it me to get into VF4, learning how to do the precise movements early on was definitely an advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by stroppa
              jacky has changed a fair bit from VF4 to VF4evo. He's less cheap I think, doesn't have his >+K knee launcher, and also has a couple of new throws. It's the same for all the characters really, all tweaked and tuned.

I definitely think it's the best 3D fighter of all time so far.

Yes, Jacky has been changed slightly. One of my favourite combo's form VF4 (<+P, P, K) has been removed Some goes for Lion's same combo move.

Comment

jacky's P+K, P, K has been removed also, this improves me though as it was kinda cheap and I always resorted to it when I was desperate. I do like his new df P+K, P+G.

Comment

My memory is hazey but shouldn't b+p, k, 2+k work with Jacky?

Comment

I know that game is awesome but still I have to wonder what was Sega thinking releasing it the same day is FF X-2 in Japan?

I also hear that the save system on Evo is a step backward. Either way as a yank I hope those marketing people at Sega decide to release it here. You guys at least have a date for it now.

Comment

I'm LOVIN Goh!

The range is just insane! - this brer can connect his throws after ANYTHNG - even his stepping roundhouse >_<
                      Getting some decent set-ups going and 1 decent juggle so far - he's a monster!

Comment

Ditto with Lion.

I've been practicing a couple of simple combos lately that seem to do a fair amount of damage.

B, F, G + K, D + K, followed up with U + P is one of my faves at the moment.

B + P + K, P P P followed up with U + P is a decent enough opener too.

Comment

Ditto with Lion
                          Yeah had a few troubles with my friend who's a good lion player, all centers around his okizeme technique's, that ****er does not want you to get up!

Comment

Pai is my new character.

I spent an hour in the arcades today playing properly sick Evo players (the arcade where many of the tournament fighters hang out). As I`ve only just started playing the game, I got my arse handed to me mostly, but I still won a couple of games and had close matches with a few opponents.

It was a real education, and just from that experience I feel I`m getting a little better at the game.

I want to say that when playing fighters, you can learn a hell lot from losing. Never be disheartened if someone kicks the crap out of you on the game (I find so many people are so deafeatist on fighters once they start losing). Its all part of the learning experience.

Comment

I want to say that when playing fighters, you can learn a hell lot from losing. Never be disheartened if someone kicks the crap out of you on the game (I find so many people are so deafeatist on fighters once they start losing). Its all part of the learning experience.
                              I totally agree with this I remember my earlier exploits into VF were discouraging as I often got my ass kicked but I stuck at it and after many months gained the rewards.

Comment

Working...
                              X