Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Creating A Foreign PSN Account Violate Sony's Terms of Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Creating A Foreign PSN Account Violate Sony's Terms of Use?

Okay, so I'm a little new to the wonderful world of PS3, but I've decided to create a US PSN account (for cheaper games and 60hz PS1 stuff). I skimmed through the "Terms of Service and User Agreement" and didn't see anything objecting to making an account that isn't based on your actual country of residence, but I did see that SCEA can totally screw your **** up (scroll down to "13.TERMINATION / CANCELLATION") if you do something they don't like. Now I'm scared. Can anyone who took the time to read all that confirm whether there's nothing about making a foreign account in the Terms of Service and User Agreement?

Also, I'm assuming it's possible to make one account for buying stuff (with fake country and age (since the ESRB has content restricted to 17 that is only restricted to 15 here in Australia, and I'm caught in between)) and another for playing online (with real country and age), right?

Ive had about 5 accounts since i got my PS3 about 3 years ago, japanese , Hong Kong, 2 UK accounts 1 for buying the other playing , plus a US account which ive purchased loads of stuff with US PSN cards. So dont sweat it, long as your doing nothing illegal ( ie i mean jailbreak )you'll be fine, welcome to the club :P

Comment

3 accounts (EU, US, JPN) on a US PS3 and EU PSP-2000, downloaded DLC, games and demos from all regions on both machines just fine. I don't see Sony (or even MS) changing their digital "region locking" policies in the near future.

Comment

Meh, I have an account per region. Main account is my JP one due to DLC on my JP copy of BBCS and to come - AH3.

Comment

I have accounts for Europe, Japan, USA, and Asia.

All my disc games are Japanese, but I play all my games on my European account. I only use the other accounts to D/L stuff. I obviously need my Japanese account to get DLC for my games.

You can however still play a game or DLC D/L'd on a Japanese account on a European account. So for example I have MALICIOUS trophies on my European account, which would not usually be possible seeing as MALICIOUS hasn't been released to D/L outside of Japan.

Hopefully that isn't too confusing.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

The Terms of Use seem to be primarily concerned with using hacked/modded PS3s. I've had multiple international accounts on my PS3s since launch with no problems as of yet, and I've successfully paid for a lot of content between my EU/US accounts.

Comment

EU, Japan, US and Hong Kong here. No probs.

I've tried making a Korean account a few times but have so far failed. I bet there's some tasty treats on that store.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. Ever since I got my PS3, I've been in love with Sony for their lack of region locking.

Speaking of PSN, what are good websites to get US point cards from? I've heard some will Email you the code. Any that accept PayPal?

EDIT: Okay, MisterBubbles kindly directed me to ElectronicFirst, but the exchange rate didn't work out so well, and I end up paying about 62 dollars for a $50 card. While it's probably still cheaper than the Australian store (I haven't checked) are there any US-based sites that Email point cards to you? The US dollar and Australian has been pretty much 1-for-1 the past few months.
                Last edited by Big A2; 27-01-2011, 05:09.

Comment

I had my US account suspended after I made a purchase using Entropay. For some reason the money never came out of my account after the purchase was made. I couldn't contact Sony America to have it reinstated either as they would have required the address I used to register which was falsified. It's the only time I've had trouble with a foreign PSN account as I've bought games/dlc from the JPN/HK store without any bother.

I've started using PSN cards purchased online on another US account so it's easy enough to continue buying stuff. If my PS3 goes tits up though I'll lose all of the stuff I bought with my old US account which would be awful as I spent several 100 quid on Rock Band dlc on that account.

Comment

I buy cards for my JP acc on eBay.. Anywhere cheaper? It's like £13 for 1000 yen.

Comment

yup a ton here too. US, JPN, Asian and 2x UK accounts, with stuff purchased on each region US being my main account and had a PS3 since JPN launch. No Worries.

Comment

UK, France, USA, Japan and Hong Kong, for around 2 years now, no problems.

UK and French currency is easy, US from a buddy in the states, HK not since they stopped accepting UK credit cards (the basts!), and JPN stuff I pay through the nose for on eBay.

Anyone know a good place for JPN cards where I can pay with PayPal as opposed to credit cards?

Comment

Came across this place the other day mate - very useful on all fronts: http://www.japan-codes.com/

Comment

Bloody ace! Cheers.

Comment

Another related question about this.

Do you need to set up different profiles on your PS3 in order to have different accounts?

Comment

Working...
                              X