muchi muchi pork/pink sweets double pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

muchi muchi pork/pink sweets double pack

got this today...got to say has not clicked with me so far seem to be basic conversions

the games just feel more basic then the previous cave games i have scoring systems seem very simple in comparison

oh for the people who hated the suicide gameplay aspect in ibara (like me) afraid to say its in both of these games but at least there is a difficuly gauge on the screne

(was not sure if to post it here or first play)

i quite like it - although the difficulty levels are abit insane.

I actually prefer my shooters abit more old school - shoot and survive; not fussed on these new fangled 'high score attacks'

Comment

I much prefer the old school shootemup method rather than bullet hell. I don't know why, porbably because they're the ones I grew up on.

I played Thuderforce V for the first time recently and found myself enjoying it a lot more than some of the newer shooters I've played.

Sorry to go OT, just kind of linked to dvdx2's post.

Comment

I have not spent too much time on Muchi and Sweets but so far I have really enjoyed them. They are basic ports, probably intended for XBLA, but are still damn fine games. Definately old school but very enjoyable for it. I really like the bright art as well.
        Well worth the money IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
          i quite like it - although the difficulty levels are abit insane.

I actually prefer my shooters abit more old school - shoot and survive; not fussed on these new fangled 'high score attacks'
          I must say I agree. Getting really annoyed at not getting anywhere with cave games

Comment

MMP is incredibly addictive, I can't see myself reaching the 2nd loop at all though as it's really easy to mess up a score chain which is crucial to making it through to the end.

Pink Sweets Arrange is good fun too, getting the gist of how to score somewhat, and it's far more easier to handle than the vanilla game (on 1.01), but Stage 5 is absolutely brutal regardless.

Comment

I'd read two comments before this came into my grasp, that (a) the games didn't do very well in Japan, hence the double-pack and (b) they are made by the same producer at Cave.

If those are true (I have no way of verifying these claims) then I can see why. These games are hard, too hard in fact for a Normal difficulty setting. The two games are very similar in that they share the same problems. Or maybe they are MY problems.

Firstly, bullets everywhere. No different than most Cave games, but the *really* good ones have some sort of bullet-cancel system, or when a larger enemy is destroyed it wipes a load out too. Here though, it is absolutely overwhelming, there is no relief from the constant onslaught.

Secondly, the hit points of your character / craft are very difficult to determine. Some of the later waves require millemeter gaps to be traversed, and this is no easy task as it is not clear where your hit point is. In other Cave titles, you have something like a glowing heart or some other standout point.

Thirdly, no Boss energy bar. Its very difficult to tell when the boss is about to expire. No onscreen indicator (that I can find anyway) or no visual or audio cue. I've seen on replays others rinsing boss encounters so they pay out maximum bounty on explosions. These people are jedi's

Having said that, it is still an addictive package. First impressions are high, they have made a decent menu system for it, although after while it becomes apparent after play, that it tends to hinder you rather than impress you (you exit back out of the game to the menu after every game-over, and you can't see the attract sequence)

Cave continue to constantly annoy me (only me, I know its defended by some) with its silly DLC voucher add-ins that you have to download from the Japanese Marketplace. The DLC mode for Pork is the Matsuri mode, and according to Cave-STG's review, this is the best mode. Yet this DLC is for the first run of the game only, just like they did with Futari. C'mon Cave, these games, even for the Japanese market, cost a pretty penny, stop mucking about and just put these on a disk. It must cost you MORE money to host and provide a DLC service with Microsoft.

At face value, Pork seems to be the better of the two, it has a decent scoring system (I am not sure Sweets really has one). Its addictive but tough, very tough, not much slowdown to help you either. Out of all the shooters I have played, I would say these are the most ruthless I've experienced. Looking at the leaderboards, there have been few players that have completed the game on 1cc

For anyone wondering, these games are nowhere near as good as Esgaluda II, Deathsmiles or Futari, so if you are thinking of jumping into Cave stuff for the first time, go with the others before this. This is also another game I don't want my wife to catch me playing, like Deathsmiles (artwork more a lighter Trevor Brown, with girls with an average age of 13) these two games here are all clevage and knickers design. I don't want to have to start explaining Japanese tastes again to her, as I don't get it either. I am sure there is some sinister going on with some of the male bosses in this game.

I'm keen to get to grips with the finer points of the games though, no matter how bad I am or how I can't get past level 2 without a "Game Over". If anyone finds a decent guide to what these are about, let me know. I am keen to know what some of the bottom screen read-outs in Pork mean.
              Last edited by englishbob; 09-03-2011, 10:34.

Comment

Originally posted by englishbob View Post
                I'd read two comments before this came into my grasp, that (a) the games didn't do very well in Japan, hence the double-pack and (b) they are made by the same producer at Cave.

If those are true (I have no way of verifying these claims) then I can see why. These games are hard, too hard in fact for a Normal difficulty setting. The two games are very similar in that they share the same problems. Or maybe they are MY problems.

Firstly, bullets everywhere. No different than most Cave games, but the *really* good ones have some sort of bullet-cancel system, or when a larger enemy is destroyed it wipes a load out too. Here though, it is absolutely overwhelming, there is no relief from the constant onslaught.

Secondly, the hit points of your character / craft are very difficult to determine. Some of the later waves require millemeter gaps to be traversed, and this is no easy task as it is not clear where your hit point is. In other Cave titles, you have something like a glowing heart or some other standout point.

Thirdly, no Boss energy bar. Its very difficult to tell when the boss is about to expire. No onscreen indicator (that I can find anyway) or no visual or audio cue. I've seen on replays others rinsing boss encounters so they pay out maximum bounty on explosions. These people are jedi's

Having said that, it is still an addictive package. First impressions are high, they have made a decent menu system for it, although after while it becomes apparent after play, that it tends to hinder you rather than impress you (you exit back out of the game to the menu after every game-over, and you can't see the attract sequence)

Cave continue to constantly annoy me (only me, I know its defended by some) with its silly DLC voucher add-ins that you have to download from the Japanese Marketplace. The DLC mode for Pork is the Matsuri mode, and according to Cave-STG's review, this is the best mode. Yet this DLC is for the first run of the game only, just like they did with Futari. C'mon Cave, these games, even for the Japanese market, cost a pretty penny, stop mucking about and just put these on a disk. It must cost you MORE money to host and provide a DLC service with Microsoft.

At face value, Pork seems to be the better of the two, it has a decent scoring system (I am not sure Sweets really has one). Its addictive but tough, very tough, not much slowdown to help you either. Out of all the shooters I have played, I would say these are the most ruthless I've experienced. Looking at the leaderboards, there have been few players that have completed the game on 1cc

For anyone wondering, these games are nowhere near as good as Esgaluda II, Deathsmiles or Futari, so if you are thinking of jumping into Cave stuff for the first time, go with the others before this. This is also another game I don't want my wife to catch me playing, like Deathsmiles (artwork more a lighter Trevor Brown, with girls with an average age of 13) these two games here are all clevage and knickers design. I don't want to have to start explaining Japanese tastes again to her, as I don't get it either. I am sure there is some sinister going on with some of the male bosses in this game.

I'm keen to get to grips with the finer points of the games though, no matter how bad I am or how I can't get past level 2 without a "Game Over". If anyone finds a decent guide to what these are about, let me know. I am keen to know what some of the bottom screen read-outs in Pork mean.

for once i agree with you bob

good overview

Comment

englishbob - Sounds like you were expecting Cave...and got Raizing.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                    for once i agree with you bob

good overview
                    Thanks

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man View Post
                    englishbob - Sounds like you were expecting Cave...and got Raizing.
                    Well it has Cave on the box! I always thought the term "raizing" was used to describe a shooter that required you to move close to the bullets as they passed by, effectively either absorbing them or being able to use some sort of scoring system against them. A bit like Mars Matrix. But then I see it was a name of a development company.

I'm confused, educate me!

Comment

Originally posted by englishbob View Post
                      Thanks

Well it has Cave on the box! I always thought the term "raizing" was used to describe a shooter that required you to move close to the bullets as they passed by, effectively either absorbing them or being able to use some sort of scoring system against them. A bit like Mars Matrix. But then I see it was a name of a development company.

I'm confused, educate me!
                      Raizing was indeed a developer of shooting games that has now been totally absorbed into 8ing. Shinobu Yagawa left Raizing/8ing and moved to Cave. He has programmed Ibara, MMPork, Pink Sweets & Daifukkatsu Black Label. The first 3 are very much Raizing games, imo.

Comment

Cheers. Was the term "raizing" used to describe gameplay (as I mentioned?) or is my old aged mind playing tricks on me.

Comment

I think what you mean is (bullet) grazing?

Raizing as a gameplay style would mean things like shaped bullets, crazy rank-mechanics, old-school scoring (medalling etc.). Or at least, that is what I think of when I think Raizing/Yagawa.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man View Post
                            I think what you mean is (bullet) grazing?
                            Thats it!

Comment

I saw this title on an importers shop and thought it was some japanese sweets

Comment

Working...
                              X