Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mecha games

Hey,

I have got back from a trip to Hong Kong, I spent a lot of my time away in the Namco arcades. I was hooked to the Gundam VS games, which brings me onto this topic.
    Can anybody recommend me some of the better mecha style games available on any platform (does not have to be Gundam specific and can be older gen platforms). I dont have much of an idea what is available really, I was quite shocked to see how fewer game shops exist now in Hk (maybe I was not looking hard enough). I did visit the Golden Arcade and spotted the odd one in Causeway Bay.
    The only game that I picked up when I was out there was Gundam Musou 3, which I am enjoying however I kinda want something more in the Vs style.
    I did the odd google search, it seems as tho 'Gundam Seed Destiny: Rengou Vs Zaft 2' had some posative feedback. I also thought that 'Gundam Senki 0081' looked quite good on the PS3.

Any advice would be smashing,
    Cheers, Dan.

YO DAN YOU NEEDS TO GETS ARMORED CORE 4.

I love that game though some people don't like it because it isn't so much like the older ones but I wouldn't really know as I never played them.

If you'd like something a little slower you want to get on Chromehounds but as part of our punishment for our original sin, the online servers have been shut down.

I quite enjoyed the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games as well but they are far more hack and slash than shooting.

Glad to hear you had a good time away!

Comment

GvG is actually on PSP, i think it has extra characters compared to the arcade version.

I quite liked this one as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVBBIqSMbNg

The 2d fighter gundams are fairly decent too, Gundam Endless Wing on the SFC is the best of them i think.

Comment

Gun griffon blaze (US version), best mech game ever...

Comment

How well do the Gundam Games for the PSP play, due to the single nub? Gundam Next Plus (think thats its name) looks great.
          In regards to Armored core, is Armored Core For Answer anygood? Can one still pick up Armored Core 4 in stores?

Cheers

Comment

*sigh* I do love me robots!

I bought my copy of Amored Core For Answer of eBay, but naughtily, I've yet to play it!
            You're looking at about a tenner.

I'm pretty sure there's some co-op levels if nobody else is still playing this, Dan!

Comment

Get R.A.D Robot Alchemic Drive on the PS2, you will have never played a mech game like it!

I very much approve of the Gundam Vs Games, pretty much all of them are great.

Also try the A.C.E Another Century Episode games on PS2 all 3 of them are really good and contain everything from Gundam to Getter Robo, theres also one on the PS3 which i haven't played yet.

Comment

I didn't like For Answer so much.

The controls are gimped up in Armored Core 4 but I got on with them but I just couldn't enjoy them in For Answer.

Of course, if you want to talk about mech game controls, get your ass on a Steel Battalion set up.

Comment

Originally posted by redstar_dan View Post
                  How well do the Gundam Games for the PSP play, due to the single nub? Gundam Next Plus (think thats its name) looks great.
                  I've only played GvG Next Plus on psp, havent tried the arcade version so not sure how controls compare, but i thought it was alright. Nothing too crazy like the difference in controls between virtual on arcade to console.

Comment

Robot Alchemic Drive has already been mentioned...can I mention PC games, in particular the MechWarrior series?
                    Very old games like Crescent Hawk's Inception and Crescent Hawk's Revenge are more adventure games than mecha games, but the first MechWarrior is extremely nice.
                    MechWarrior 2 is the best game in the series; its expansion pack, Ghost Bear's Legacy is a good addition but in certain missions is bordering on insane difficulty. MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries lets you manage your own merc unit but it's full of bugs, even with the latest patches. It's still an interesting game, but it hasn't realized to its full potential.
                    MW2 is also available for the PS1 and Saturn, but without 'Mech customization.

Forget about MechWarrior 3 and its expansion, they are easily the worst in the series.

Games based on the MechWarrior 4 engine (Vengeance, its expansion pack Black Knight and Mercenaries) are nice.
                    MechCommander (plus expansion pack) and MechCommander 2 are two good RTS games. MechCommander is the best of the two.

When Activision lost the BattleTech license they went onto Heavy Gear; both games are better than MW2 Mercenaries but they lack that "something" that made MW2 so great.

The on the top of my head: Ring of Red (PS2), the Gun Griffon series (Saturn and PS2), Steel Battalion (X Box), Metal Wolf (X Box), Gundam 0079 Federation VS Zeon (strategy game - lots of consoles, DC, PS2, IIRC even Saturn and PS1; I like the DreamCast version the most).
                    I've always found the Robot Wars and all similar turn-based games dull and based more on the mecha appeal than the actual quality of the game, so I would skip on those.

Front Mission (SNES, PS1, DS, PS2 depending on which game) is an other great turn-based franchise. There's Gun Hazard, a sidescroller similar to Cybernator.

Talking about Cybernator there's the whole Assault Suit Leynos/Target Earth series spread on multiple consoles; most of them are worthy action-packed sidescrollers, but Cybernator/Assault Suit Valken (SNES/SFC) and Assault Suit Leynos 2 (Saturn) stand above the rest. ASV spawned an unofficial spin-off called Metal Warriors (US SNES only).

[edit] oh yes, Carnage Heart. A bit atypical since you need to program your mechas for battle and then watch how it will turn out, but the first game is available in English for the PS1.
                    Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 18-03-2011, 18:43.

Comment

Check out Mecha Damashi for all your robot needs.

I have both Gundam Seed Destiny: Rengou Vs Zaft 2 and Gundam V Gundam Next Plus both are excellent.

Comment

not played many mech games...but the ones i have played feels like it takes ages to destory enemies

Comment

Liked ACfA but the slowdown at times was terrible.

Comment

I'm shocked we're on the second page of this thread and I have to mention SRW.

Mech + SRPG = win

I highly recommend SRW:W on the DS, with the new SRW:Z2 coming out on PSP in April.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a better idea on what is out there now, which is awesome. I have been looking at SRW:Z on the Ps2, it looks great, however I am not sure how well I will be able to play it, due to the language barrier, SRW:Z2 looks great aswell from what I have been reading. I had not looked at the DS version however, im going to have a little look into this now.

Comment

Working...
                              X