Differences between JPN Slim 360 and Asian Slim 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences between JPN Slim 360 and Asian Slim 360

I recently moved to Japan and I've decided it's time to buy myself a 360. I've noticed that the Asian 360s are a fair bit cheaper than the JPN models over on Playasia. I was under the impression that they were much the same in terms of what games can be played on them. Is this the case and if so are there any significant differences I should be aware of?

The Asian one comes with a 220-240v PSU, so you'd need a new PSU to use in Japan.

Other than that there appears to be about 2 or 3 really really early games that aren't even worth noting that won't play on an Asian 360. Otherwise there's no real differences, just price.

Comment

If these Singaporeans aren't full of **** then the Asian ones are mostly region free. I'm getting one tomorrow.

Comment

Nah, they have the same region coding as JP machines - basically.

Comment

The main differences would be:

- PSU voltage
          - video cables included
          - DVD region

I don't think there is any locking between ntsc-j regions either, there was a rumour of one Japanese game that wouldn't run on HK machines, but I'm fairly sure that was false.

Comment

Cheers for the help. If I need to get a new PSU with the Asian model I might as well just fork out the extra money and buy a JPN 360.

Comment

If you get a HK machine, you should be able to use the PSU as is - 220v and a UK plug.

The only downside there is region 3 DVD.

Comment

I got a second hand old-style 360 for 4000 yen just three months ago. Haven't looked back. Spent more on every single Cave shooter!!

Comment

Originally posted by SH4R4KU View Post
                  I got a second hand old-style 360 for 4000 yen just three months ago. Haven't looked back. Spent more on every single Cave shooter!!
                  thing about the older style (especially the non jasper units) is that they are all red-ring timebombs. Thats what put me off for so long buying a jpn unit. Hopefully the newer vahalla chip set slims will last abit longer.....
                  Last edited by dvdx2; 01-06-2011, 13:23.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                    thing about the older style (especially the non jasper units) is that they are all red-ring timebombs. Thats what put me off for so long buying a jpn unit. Hopefully the newer vahalla chip set slims will last abit longer.....
                    I agree. I have a year warranty though and for 4000-odd yen I couldn't say no!

What is Jasper? The chip?

If this dies I will get a slim. I play from the hdd mostly though, so fingers crossed.

Comment

Jasper was the last revision of the phat, and the only one with any real reliability.

Potentially as reliable as the slim.

Comment

Nowhere near as quiet, though. Don't know how I ever put up with the racket from my Jasper unit, even with a disc installed.

Comment

I find Jasper and Slim to be just as loud as each other really.

Nothing compared to my brother's Zepher though. Sounds like a plane taking off.

Comment

slims have quieter fans, but the dvd drive can be just as bad eh

Comment

Heh, the only time the DVD drive is used fully is during disc installation. Whisper-quiet the rest of the time after that.

Comment

Working...
                              X