The Managerial Merry-go-round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Managerial Merry-go-round

Couldn't decide if this should be in the Premier League or Championship threads...

Sam Allardyce takes over as manager of West Ham following the club's relegation to the Championship.

Allardyce in at West Ham. Wonder how they'll take to that...

Team Football becomes Team Longball. Get ready for some sore necks, 'Ammers fans.

Comment

I really don't rate Allardyce, how on earth does he keep getting jobs ? Has he ever done anything decent after Bolton ?

Comment

Well, he did nowt at the Mags. So he gets the thumbs up for that.

Comment

Remember a few years ago when Big Sam was still at Bolton and everyone thought he could be the England manager?

That seriously happened. I bet there are posts in the England Team Thread here that say it. Those people must feel right stupid now.

Comment

thank god he got a job before we chopped the useless frenchman!!

Comment

Mark Hughes has quit Fulham, I wonder why he could have done that?

Comment

"The 47-year-old also denied that he had been approached by another club before choosing to quit.
                "As a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences," he said."

Whatever. He's sniffing around Aston Villa's ring, it's obvious.

Comment

maybe he has been offered the Chelsea job?

Comment

The funny thing is, if he becomes Villa manager, the first thing he will say (and there will be no hint of irony in his voice) is that Downing and Young need to show some loyalty and remain with Villa.

Comment

Allardyce is a good manager imho.

Should never have got sacked at Toon, nor at Blackburn.

Hammers fan will hate him though, no idea why he'd go there.

Comment

He was pretty hard done by at Blackburn. The new owners had obviously already decided they didn't want someone they didn't pick themselves. Fat lot of good it did them this season.

Comment

He was unlucky at Newcastle too. I know he was on a dodgy run of results when he got sacked but they were still 11th in the table, having finished 13th the previous year, so it wasn't exactly a disaster. Long term I think they'd slowly but surely crept up the table if he'd stayed.

The Blackburn sacking was mad. Even if they wanted a new manager to bring a more attractive style to the club, let Allardyce comfortably keep the club away from relegation then replace him in the summer.

Comment

Allardyce manages to have success with teams at the expense of football. He's never going to have the fans on his side apart from probably at Bolton where he established them as a Premier League team. But...

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
                            Allardyce is a good manager imho.
                            ... Surely you still prefer Coyle though, don't you?

Comment

In the way some clubs are stepping stones Allardyce is himself a stepping stone manager, a decent safe pair of hands who will get a club on a solid if unspectacular footing but as soon as he's done that the club itself will want more than he can deliver and look past him.

Was reading an interesting article in the blizzard by some chap who had inflation adjusted transfer spend by managers in the prem era and calculated who had the worst ever pounds per point return, it was Roy Hodgson at Blackburn the time he took them down (in conjunction with Kidd)

Comment

Working...
                              X