PDA

View Full Version : The Managerial Merry-go-round

Flabio
01-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Couldn't decide if this should be in the Premier League or Championship threads...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13583587.stm

Allardyce in at West Ham. Wonder how they'll take to that...

prinnysquad
01-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Team Football becomes Team Longball. Get ready for some sore necks, 'Ammers fans.

Chunky
01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I really don't rate Allardyce, how on earth does he keep getting jobs ? Has he ever done anything decent after Bolton ?

prinnysquad
01-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Well, he did nowt at the Mags. So he gets the thumbs up for that.

toythatkills
01-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Remember a few years ago when Big Sam was still at Bolton and everyone thought he could be the England manager? :lol:

That seriously happened. I bet there are posts in the England Team Thread here that say it. Those people must feel right stupid now.

BaronSqwelch
01-06-2011, 10:33 PM
thank god he got a job before we chopped the useless frenchman!!

EJG1980
02-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Mark Hughes has quit Fulham (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13628221.stm), I wonder why he could have done that? ;)

prinnysquad
02-06-2011, 05:26 PM
"The 47-year-old also denied that he had been approached by another club before choosing to quit.
"As a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences," he said."

Whatever. He's sniffing around Aston Villa's ring, it's obvious.

BaronSqwelch
02-06-2011, 05:37 PM
maybe he has been offered the Chelsea job? ;)

EJG1980
02-06-2011, 07:16 PM
The funny thing is, if he becomes Villa manager, the first thing he will say (and there will be no hint of irony in his voice) is that Downing and Young need to show some loyalty and remain with Villa.

Jebus
03-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Allardyce is a good manager imho.

Should never have got sacked at Toon, nor at Blackburn.

Hammers fan will hate him though, no idea why he'd go there.

Flabio
03-06-2011, 09:18 AM
He was pretty hard done by at Blackburn. The new owners had obviously already decided they didn't want someone they didn't pick themselves. Fat lot of good it did them this season.

EJG1980
03-06-2011, 09:26 AM
He was unlucky at Newcastle too. I know he was on a dodgy run of results when he got sacked but they were still 11th in the table, having finished 13th the previous year, so it wasn't exactly a disaster. Long term I think they'd slowly but surely crept up the table if he'd stayed.

The Blackburn sacking was mad. Even if they wanted a new manager to bring a more attractive style to the club, let Allardyce comfortably keep the club away from relegation then replace him in the summer.

toythatkills
03-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Allardyce manages to have success with teams at the expense of football. He's never going to have the fans on his side apart from probably at Bolton where he established them as a Premier League team. But...

Allardyce is a good manager imho.

... Surely you still prefer Coyle though, don't you?

merf
03-06-2011, 10:19 AM
In the way some clubs are stepping stones Allardyce is himself a stepping stone manager, a decent safe pair of hands who will get a club on a solid if unspectacular footing but as soon as he's done that the club itself will want more than he can deliver and look past him.

Was reading an interesting article in the blizzard by some chap who had inflation adjusted transfer spend by managers in the prem era and calculated who had the worst ever pounds per point return, it was Roy Hodgson at Blackburn the time he took them down (in conjunction with Kidd)

abigsmurf
03-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Oh god... we could actually end up with Mark Hughes.

Euch

toythatkills
03-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Who's we?

Adrock
03-06-2011, 03:58 PM
merf, there is a book on that subject alone. All about the TPI (transfer price index).

As for Mark Hughes at Chelsea, how the hell has he managed to be linked to a club like that? He did ok at Man City but would he ever have managed to get them to the next level? I have my reservations.

Jebus
03-06-2011, 04:01 PM
... Surely you still prefer Coyle though, don't you?

I'd prefer a combination of Owen and Sam though. Pretty football may be what the papers say we play now, but at times it is far from it. Also, Owen has absolutely no idea how to keep a clean sheet.

On balance though, yeah, of course I prefer Owen.

Gradius
10-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Roberto Martinez is staying at Wigan, i'm hoping Villa go for Steve Mclaren.

merf
10-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I think its brilliant to see what Martinez is doing, he says he made Dave Whelan a commitment and is going to see it through, DW seems a thouroughly decent chap and did the right thing in letting Martinez make the decision and has been rewarded, its really good to see and Martinez gone up a lot in my estimation for that.

EJG1980
10-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Couldn't have put it better, honourable behaviour all round from Martinez and Whelan. Nice to see a bit of loyalty when most in football jump ship the instant a big club comes calling.

merf
10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
yup, its either all that manly nice stuff or he bottled it !

Adrock
10-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Just out of interest how many of you reckon Wigan would have kept him had they been relegated? The club has to be one of the toughest jobs going, always in danger of being relegated and always selling your best players.

I'm not surprised managers jump at the chance to get bigger clubs when they manage the likes of Wigan. Thats not to say the club would be wrong to remove the manager if they get relegated. But the fact they have to constantly scout new talent because their best players are sold means the managers at the perennial strugglers end up with very difficult jobs.

edit: Also, could it have anything to do with the fact Martin O'Neil assembled a squad who only played a certain way and Martinez saw the hostility Houllier met from the players at Villa for trying to change to a more continental style? That seems to be the biggest challenge for Villa.

EJG1980
10-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Hard to say. Wigan did spend a lot of the season in the relegation zone, which would have got him sacked well before the end of the season at a lot of clubs, so Whelan did show more loyalty to him there than a lot of chairmen would have.

If they had been relegated I have a feeling he would have got the chance to try and take them back up, but would probably have gone if they'd had a bad start to the season in the Championship.

From a personal point of view I think he's probably made the right choice to turn down Villa. At Wigan he will be given more time when the team hits a rough patch, giving him a better chance to learn from his mistakes and improve as a manager. At Villa he'd probably have had the fans calling for his head and in danger of the sack at the first signs of a dodgy run.

He's not even 40 yet so if he can keep Wigan playing decent football and start getting better league finishes too, he'll have plenty of time to try and move up to a bigger club in the future.

Adrock
10-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Thats true HE, but if they get relegated through no fault of his own (the club sells Insomnia, Rodallega and the likes) then his stock faults rapidly. Then he is stuck with having probably lost his job and finding it difficult to get another.

Also, Wigan have already hit their ceiling financially. They cant attract the fans required for a revenue boost and obviously a club like that doesn't really have a fanbase outside of their region.

I'm unsure as to what decision he should have made, but he has done the honourable thing and stayed with a club who showed faith in him. I hope he manages to do well with them and moves on to a better club because he seems to be one of the better managers in the league.

prinnysquad
12-06-2011, 05:29 PM
McLeish ... ?

Bizarre. Resigning by email, lol.

merf
12-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Cant fathom the logic at villa, they need a manager to return them to their former glories, ok, lets get a bloke in who just got relegated, skirted it the year before, and is for good measure the former manager of our bitterest rivals.

Its bizarre on both levels, the bloke is a failure, you don't bring him in to push for honours and a top 6 finish.

EJG1980
12-06-2011, 07:19 PM
On the plus side, he'll bring his fantastic brand of free flowing football with him. What? Ohh...

Flabio
12-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Wonder if anyone in the prem will take Billy Davies? Actually, maybe he'll go to Cardiff...

Ginger Tosser
13-06-2011, 12:11 AM
I guess he didn't want to sign Marlon King either. I do get the feeling the board quite like to buy/sign players without asking the manager first.

BaronSqwelch
15-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Mcleish seems a done deal...I have suddenly got an extra ?520 quid lying around then...will use it to go somewhere sunny I think, forget about this football lark for a bit!!

Wonder what Sutton Coldfield Town and the Evo Stik South is like???

Adrock
15-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Big Sam Allardyce has already begun his transformation of West Ham. Out goes Ba and Hitzelsperger and in comes Nolan and Abdolaye Faye, a free agent for a year I think.

Looks like West Ham's good football will disappear rather quickly.

Ginger Tosser
17-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Mcleish seems a done deal...I have suddenly got an extra ?520

Deal eventually done, rumour has it Ben Foster has already agreed to go. I do think what Villa need this coming season is stability and although it's not an ideal situation the manager does need support.

At least we both escaped Big Sam and McLaren (mind you Bryan Robson is still available)

abigsmurf
17-06-2011, 02:38 PM
The Mcleish thing could get interesting.

If Villa don't pay the full ?5.2mill, they could easily end up with a 2 year transfer ban as it'd be an open and shut case if it goes to arbitration.

BaronSqwelch
17-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Deal eventually done, rumour has it Ben Foster has already agreed to go. I do think what Villa need this coming season is stability and although it's not an ideal situation the manager does need support.

At least we both escaped Big Sam and McLaren

I'd have both of them before Mcleish...3 relegations, coming 3rd in a 2 horse race in Scotland with Rangers to his name if you don't take into account where we got him from. Even Mclaren doing a Brum accent at the press conferance would have been ok.

The chances of a transfer ban are nil, doesn't matter how obvious it is we tapped him up its impossible to actually prove. plus, with Oneil still winning 3 million quid after stitching us up last summer these things seem weighted in the managers favour. So with him claiming constructive dismissal I expect a million or 2 to change hands and Peter Pannu to stop his crying. However, after the outright hypocrisy and arrogance from our board I want them to sting Lerner for the 5mil tbh...

My boycott is gonna save me a fortune in train fairs, match tickets and beer though...gotta be at least 2k a season so think of the extra games I can buy! ;)

Ginger Tosser
17-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Funny thing is I ditched my Blues season ticket after the first season/relegation - I couldn't be arsed to watch such ****e. I bought a macro lens instead!

You right about cost, for me it was around ?500 + around ?20 (pub/food/bus) per game. I thought I'd miss it, but didn't in the end (ditched sky around the same time as well)

Flabio
02-09-2011, 12:12 PM
So, who had McClaren in the sweepstake?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14763523.stm

Surprised he's only finding out NOW that the Forest chairman doesn't like to open his wallet...