Who plays for real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who plays for real?

Anyone else here actually play football themselves?

I went down to train to get my fitness up and got roped into signing on for a team and am now first choice left wing back after 3 training sessions!

Played our first pre-season friendly today and got hammered 7-1. Somehow the coach forgot to tell us that 8 of us playing our first game for the team(including a back 4 that has never played together) were up against a squad that have played together for 6 years and smashed the division last season.

Still, I got a good 85 minutes under my belt and managed not to get sent off or injured(though I was the only player to get booked) but god I feel tired! Does it get any easier?

So yeah, who plays for real and are you any good?

Not played since school. Being a fatty I was stuck in goal because no one wanted to have a football kicked at them on a cold, wet winters day...

Ah the joys of childhood...

Comment

Been organising 7-a-side footy with mates and work colleagues every week for about 3 years now. I also play a second game during the week too. I'm 35 and have a bit of a beer belly (which is thankfully slimming down now) and I get the odd injury every now again, but it's one of my highlights of the week. Love it.

Get yo arses out there. We play with tubby men too, Jan Molby types, who may not move much, but can pass or shoot like a 'Legends' player

I think my main attributes (PES stylee) are Tackling=94, Speed=75, Stamina=92, Movement=90 Shooting=74, Short pass=78, Long pass=88, Crossing=92
      Last edited by hudson; 06-08-2011, 20:22.

Comment

I don't atm but have been looking at having a go there is a indoor astro turf place in my local town where you can hire pitches and have a game, kick about.

I do however play rugby 7s tag and touch which is fun to play and has tournaments up here in yorkshire that goes on from about april to september and indoor.

have thought about playing 9s but that's full contact and would get smashed up

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
          Not played since school. Being a fatty I was stuck in goal because no one wanted to have a football kicked at them on a cold, wet winters day...

Ah the joys of childhood...
          I've barely played since school either, but actually love being in goal.

Comment

I've been out injured for almost 3 years now, I miss it so much. Only played 5's with mates but loved it. Kicked a ball for first time last Saturday at the park and it was an awesome feeling. I was **** and have lost what little touch I had but felt great actually kicking a ball hard again. Dunno if I'll get back into it or not when I'm able to for fear of re-injury. I had to sit and watch when everyone got up to play a proper 7's game which was crap. Was dying to just run on!

But yeh, bit off topic there! :P Everyone who likes football should play it if you can. Even if you think you are unfit or whatever, it's just a great team sport to play.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
              I'm 35 and have a bit of a beer belly (which is thankfully slimming down now) and I get the odd injury every now again
              Main reason I started training was to lose my beer gut.

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
              I think my main attributes (PES stylee) are Tackling=94, Speed=75, Stamina=92, Movement=90 Shooting=74, Short pass=78, Long pass=88, Crossing=92
              If we're gonna be like that, I'd say mine are:

Tackling=45, Speed=80, Stamina=60, Movement=86 Shooting=81, Short pass=87, Long pass=89, Crossing=85

Good news for me is next week I'll be the wide man on the left in a 3-5-2 so license to bomb forward!

Comment

Thank God for that. What are they doing playing you at left back when you've only got a 45 in tackling? Madness, that's what it is.

Comment

It's more my positioning sense as my main role is man marking the winger out of the game which generally works. Once my stamina is up I'm be more of a Roberto Carlos type player.

Comment

I play 5 a side twice a week. My legs are constantly bruised and three weeks ago I twisted my ankle so badly my entire foot went black and I couldn't put a shoe on for a week. Still love playing though.

Comment

Last season I played Saturday and Sunday, 11 a side proper football. Play as a left fullback myself, not in any shape to play wing back though. Getting up the pitch is difficult enough but getting back down would feel like a marathon for me at the moment. End of the season was curtailed by my bad back, its a long standing issue and I think playing twice a week like that was far too much.

Wife gave birth to our second kid a month ago so I'm not sure if I'm gonna find time to play this season. I prefer Saturdays for the general nature of the match but the Sundays are early morning so we were finished in the afternoon. Saturdays take all bloody day, being 3pm kick offs.

I enjoy playing proper 11 a side football more than just about any other activity. I'm gonna miss it this season, I'm still not entirely sure I'll be able to resist.

As for stats, I'm not sure. My tackling is good as I can and do play center back, I've scored quite a few from set pieces using my head so aerial ability is decent and I like to think my passing is pretty good. Fitness and pace are my weak points.

I'm currently playing 7 a side, which is ok but its nothing like proper football. Its a nice fast paced technical game though, which I enjoy as I prefer short passing games.
                      Last edited by Adrock; 07-08-2011, 07:04.

Comment

Used to play and make the odd appearance each year for whatever team has me listed. People just seem to register me for backup even thouugh I can rarely play. 1 app last year, came on 1nil down and 2 assists later we took the lead. Went on to win 4-1.

I used to be a very handy player. In 1995 at 14 I played right wing and nobody knew I was actually left footed. Wasn't until I cut inside and lashed on across the keeper that people noticed.
                        Unfortunately a severe knee injury from playing at a local youth club cut my season short, I was moving through some of the biggest teams in the area at the time.

1996 rolled around and about to sign for a new club and I broke my toe. First training session for the club went so well I was offered a spot within just 15 mins of it. Came back next week with said toe and made a hash of it and never got signed in the end.
                        1997 and exams got in the way, started working and focussing on life issues. First real girlfriend took up a lot of my time and stopped playing football altogether.
                        By early 1999 my fitness was shocking then a serious long term illness took its toll on my and I didn't play again untill late 2000.

Now I am still pretty unfit, the illness keeps my stamina low and my weight at a slim 10st. Also I am not keen on competetive football as there is such a high risk of injury I can afford to miss work. Highlight though last year was playing at The Fitness First Stadium at Dean Court for a charity match. That was great fun and I managed to provide a couple of moments of crowd pleasing entertainment.

Comment

They must be desperate to pick a lard-ass like you, FommeDdad. I remember that pic of you playing fitba' on facebook before you deleted me. You looked like a Legends player who'd really let himself go.

I have never played for any team ever, used to just play with my mates. I could have got on the junior school team easily according to a few of the players, but I had zero confidence. Shame cos I'd developed both feet, could run all day, had a very decent pass and a canny accurate shot. Ok at dribbling too - we used to practice with a tennis ball on the yard to build control. Trouble is, my feet could be a bit clumsy, and I was toss at fancy-Dan tricks and keepie-ups. Still am. More bad points - absolutely useless in the air and iffy at tackling.

I was put off crunching tackles when, during a friendly game, I slid in to tackle someone, and won the ball, but got nailed. Because of the weird angle of my approach, I couldn't hook my leg round to tackle. Instead I had to do a flat slide with my left leg, with the inside of my foot facing upwards. The player I tackled rode the ball as I won it, but landed squarely on the bone on the inside, just above my foot. It was very painful, so I was a bit wussy with tackles after that. Likewise, I was ok at headers, until one day on the yard I went for a diving header as someone went to kick the ball. His kick bust my nose, and the blood poured like a tap. There were red stains on the yard for monnths afterwards.

Also, I got into a really bad habit of not putting my foot through the ball, and instead striking it with very little backlift. It meant I didn't have a very hard pass/shot, and often hit he ball with far too much backspin.

Hey ho, broken dreams.

I'm unfit at the moment, and have a burbur gut, so I'd last about 20 minutes in a game these days. I reckon I could do ok against fammYdodd though.

Comment

Play Sunday League for a Div 1 team in Lincoln, finished mid-table last season after 2 successive promotions. We also got to the county cup semi finals a couple of years back before losing to the eventual winners. I play centre mid, normally just in front of the back 4. My technical ability is almost non-existant so rely on my pretty good reading of the game and fitness/stamina. Win the ball and give it to the better players is all I do, bar a few spectacular goal of the season beauties I manage to produce each year. Had a couple of player of the season awards in recent years that take pride of place in my living room!

Also play 6-a-side leisure leagues on a Sunday evening, current top scorer for my team and joint top rated player in the division on MotM awards. As much as I love football injuries are starting to take their toll - my hips and groins are giving me plenty of grief at the moment so haven't done much more than some light training in recent weeks. Also suffered a couple of concussions which can't be good. Two more seasons I think before knocking it on the head.

Played on Turf Moor (Burnley) and Sincil Bank (Lincoln) in recent years, got a DVD somewhere of my Turf Moor masterclass.

Comment

Working...
                            X