PDA

View Full Version : Premier League 2011/12 general thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

abigsmurf
07-08-2011, 02:26 PM
A new season be upon us!

Half time at the Charity Shield. Not the most deserved 2-0 lead by Man City who were slow off the mark and didn't do a great deal in the first half. Not good from De Gea for the second goal. Had a clear view, only slightly off to the side.

Man U did their starting opening 10 minutes blitz before settling down a bit. Man City look set to continue their less than thrilling style of football of the last few seasons.

abigsmurf
07-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Huge defensive collapse by City, I don't care who you're playing against, allowing a team to get 4-5 passes inside the box without any challenges or interceptions is shocking defending.

nakamura
07-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Great curtain raiser to the season. Both defences have lacked at key moments but that happens. Utd have looked irresistable at times, certainly the better side. City look dull and restrained under Mancini, looks like there is a beast there waiting to be unleashed.

abigsmurf
07-08-2011, 03:20 PM
City have been poor. Dull and boring yet nowhere near as in control of possession or as comfortable as they need to be defensively for this playstyle to work.

nakamura
07-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Defending of the highest order.

abigsmurf
07-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Utterly shocking.

Still, good to know Man City won't be title contenders without some major transformation occuring.

toythatkills
07-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Hard to know about Man City since they were without Tevez and the only new signing they showcased was a defender who can't even defend. It's bizarre how poor their football seems to be though, when they've spent so much money on so much talent. And some ****e, but some talent too. Their only real success last season was their ability to shut other teams out by boring them to death, and shipping three goals suggests that they might be worse off than last season.

Certainly reassessing my choice of Hart in the Fantasy Football. Did Cech get injured or was that actually something else I dreamed?

abigsmurf
07-08-2011, 05:29 PM
City seems entirely focused in mid field. They had little to offer up front and the less said about their defence, the better.

A few seasons ago they could've excused this approach but now? They look as far away from winning a title as ever. I hope we're not going to be stuck with another team that cruises into the Champions League each year, especially with this style of football.

toythatkills
07-08-2011, 05:36 PM
They've got no competition for the CL places this year. United and Chelsea are a shoo-in, then you've got Liverpool and Man City, with Arsenal way, way back in fifth or lower (unless Gervinho can carry the entire team until he sods off). There's no other team really that have strengthened enough from last season to suggest that they can challenge for the CL places, with most aside from the aforementioned predicted top-four seeming to be weaker than last year.

Except Sunderland maybe, they might be stronger but they ain't gon' challenge.

prinnysquad
07-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Haha! Indeed, we won't get into the top 6. We still haven't got a proper centre forward, or a single left-sided player who actually wants to play there. We will simply not score enough goals.

Good game that.

abigsmurf
07-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I'd say Arsenal have a better shot at 4th than Liverpool. As much as they've lost some huge players, I think they'll still continue their playing style and enough of the weaker teams will give them too much space and let them pass the ball around freely. Liverpool... their form last season and the changes in the squad make me think they're set up as a low scoring side and they'll have too many draws to make 4th.

It's a hard league to call this year. Man U and Chelsea are both rebuilding and injecting youth into their squad (both have looked good pre-season), Arsenal have been gutted out by the players they've had leave. Liverpool are recovering from a major decline and their side's been reshaped. Spurs have gotten weaker (especially if Modric does go). It's unusual for so many sides to heavily rebuild so fast though.

toythatkills
07-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Haha! Indeed, we won't get into the top 6. We still haven't got a proper centre forward, or a single left-sided player who actually wants to play there. We will simply not score enough goals.

Is Gyan not a centre-forward?

toythatkills
07-08-2011, 06:08 PM
I'd say Arsenal have a better shot at 4th than Liverpool. As much as they've lost some huge players, I think they'll still continue their playing style and enough of the weaker teams will give them too much space and let them pass the ball around freely. Liverpool... their form last season and the changes in the squad make me think they're set up as a low scoring side and they'll have too many draws to make 4th.

I've seen almost nothing from Arsenal in the entire of 2011 that suggests they can play a football match that lasts 90 minutes. They're going to be exactly the same this season, they're going to play brilliantly and get leads, then they're going to start coasting after the first hour and throw the leads away. They just don't care enough.

prinnysquad
07-08-2011, 06:09 PM
He is, but what I meant was that he has no-one established to partner him. Bent has still not been replaced, indeed, his goals can't be. But his top-flight experience can, yet hasn't.

If Gyan gets injured, we're fooked up front.

Baseley09
09-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Why have Stoke signed Upson? They think Woody will cripple up? Surely Shawcross and Huth are lynchpins of that team.

toythatkills
09-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Why have Stoke signed Upson? They think Woody will cripple up? Surely Shawcross and Huth are lynchpins of that team.

They'd be stupid not to

Flabio
09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
There was a lot of talk about Huth leaving a couple of weeks back though.

Shane Long gone to West Brom. One to watch that lad. Him and Odemwingie up front will score a few this season for sure.

abigsmurf
09-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Seems Man U will be getting Sneider for ?35million.

Wasn't Ferguson going on last week about other clubs spending big?

?15mill for Phil Jones
?19mill for De Gae
?15 for Young

?85million...

Neil
09-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Seems Man U will be getting Sneider for ?35million.Wasn't Ferguson going on last week about other clubs spending big??15mill for Phil Jones?19mill for De Gae?15 for Young?85million...

:D

:woot:

Yeah Yeah the real big news today is:
Highly-rated Derry City winger James McClean has completed his move to Premier League side Sunderland for a guaranteed fee of ?350,000.McClean completed a medical on Monday and then finalised personal terms after Derry accepted the offer from the English giants.The 22-year-old has been a target for a number of English clubs this summer, with Peterborough United making two offers for the player.McClean has signed a three-year deal.Wigan Athletic had also expressed an interest in the player, who scored 18 goals in 73 appearances.His impressive form has resulted in a first call-up to the Northern Ireland squad for the Euro 2012 qualifier against the Faroe Islands, but he informed manager Nigel Worthington that he wished to declare for the Republic of Ireland.Sunderland manager Steve Bruce said: "James is an outstanding young talent and has rightly attracted interest from a number of clubs over the summer so we're very pleased that he sees his future at Sunderland.McClean becomes Bruce's 10th summer signing.

toythatkills
09-08-2011, 08:25 PM
He should be at Posh :mad:

McClean I mean, but I guess I'd accept Sneijder at a push.

prinnysquad
10-08-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm more excited about the signing of Don than any other player. He's our Insomnia replacement.

Neil
10-08-2011, 07:13 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t34/neil2k/2ae6ad7f.jpg

Even more exciting than Barry?

toythatkills
10-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Man, remember when every footballer in the world looked like that?

prinnysquad
11-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Blog post on a SAFC website that criticises Capello. Can't say I disagree with much of it.

http://www.rokerreport.com/2011/8/10/2354700/captains-blog-parasitic-capello-and-his-poisonous-influence-on

edit: haha just noticed Barry Dunn.

EJG1980
11-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Spurs vs Everton has been postponed. Bugger it :( At the moment all the other games are still on.

toythatkills
11-08-2011, 10:37 AM
I wish they'd cancel them all. A staggered start to the season feels totally wrong. It's bad enough that teams are playing Sunday/Monday. The first and last day should always be everyone together, for the sense of occasion.

abigsmurf
12-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Seems Sneider isn't coming to Man U after all. Weird, it seemed pretty much a done deal.

toythatkills
12-08-2011, 08:52 AM
To me it sounds like one of those deals that was entirely in The Sun's head. United interested! Sneijder says he wants to join United! Fee agreed! Personal terms agreed! In town for a medical!

When in actual fact, United have never even talked to Inter.

EJG1980
12-08-2011, 08:59 AM
I think the above description could probably be applied to 95% of the transfer deals reported in the newspapers.

I don't bother with any stories these days unless they have official quotes directly from somebody at the club confirming something is going on (and by that I mean a named official, not the fabled anonymous source).

Plough Boy
12-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Norwich appear to be close to signing Daniel Ayala from Liverpool for ?850k according to Paul Lambert in a press conference this morning.
Good deal, bad deal?
Should I be pleased or quietly sobbing in the corner?

toythatkills
12-08-2011, 10:00 AM
He makes a mean duck a l'orange

prinnysquad
12-08-2011, 10:14 AM
I've heard he's related to JOHN McPHAIL, so I think your answer is there.

The 2 Ayalas in ISS games, for Argentina and Paraguay, were aces.

Adrock
12-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Ayala has done very well in the reserve and youth teams for Liverpool but whenever I witnessed him in a first team game he seemed to be lacking in a couple of areas. His pace seemed non existant, he struggled to keep up with opponents regularly. His decision making was poor, he committed quite a few fouls and got booked if I remember rightly.

Decision making is something that does improve with age and his positioning could deal with a lack of pace. Basically experience is what he needs, he seems to be a decent enough player but just needs a run of games to get the confidence and experience any central defender needs.

Flabio
12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Right then, as it all kicks off tomorrow, I think it's predictions time so we can all look back at the end of the season and realise how utterly wrong we were.

And cause I'm a glutton for punishment, hows about we try and pick the final standings for the entire division? Oh yes.

I reckon we're looking at:

Man U
Chelsea
Man City
Liverpool
--
Tottenham
Arsenal
Fulham
Everton
Stoke
Sunderland
Bolton
Aston Villa
Newcastle
Blackburn
QPR
Wolves
West Brom
--
Norwich
Wigan
Swansea

toythatkills
12-08-2011, 03:32 PM
At Christmas, Arsenal will be 27 points clear at the top of the league, the final table will be:

Man U
Chelsea
Man City
Liverpool
--
Arsenal
Everton
Fulham
Bolton
Stoke
Tottenham
Sunderland
Newcastle
West Brom
Wolves
QPR
Aston Villa
Swansea
--
Wigan
Norwich
Blackburn

abigsmurf
13-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Not amazing from Sunderland, playing defensively, attacking on the break, not ideal for when you're 1-0 down.

Carragher could've perhaps seen a red for this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/j673tw.gif

leg breaker if it comes down on a planted leg. Gotta love to commentator excusing it straight away saying "no malice".

Adrock
13-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I think he caught the trailing leg by accident to be honest, but that was a stupid challenge. He deserved a red for it.

abigsmurf
13-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Sunderland haven't been in it this half but damn that was a good equaliser.

nakamura
13-08-2011, 04:03 PM
What on earth was he going in like that for? Shocking defender and that could be the thing that stops Liverpool hitting top spots this year, defending.

Nice to see Sunderland get a point, hoping they do well this year.

abigsmurf
13-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Same story as last year for Liverpool it seems. Strong first half which they didn't capitalise on to make the lead comfortable. Second half started ok but then Sunderland scored and Liverpool started looked tired and desperate, quick long balls in the hope that someone would be up to receive it.

prinnysquad
13-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Watched a bit of the game in various pubs as part of a burbur crawl.

The penalty...

I didn't have my bins on, so I'll just call it as I saw it;
He made contact, it was a red, by the letter of the law.
Suarez made a right meal of it, flipping around like a salmon.
A terrible penalty, EEYORE.

On the other hand, as a footballing decision, not to send someone off after 5 minutes, and deeming the penalty and a yellow punishment enough, is one for the neutrals.

As I say, although I couldn't see properly , Richardson should have been sent off, as he was the last man (and it was a terrible piece of play to concede possession). But, having gained the reprieve, Larsson's goal was superb. I didn't see that challenge above, but it's poor, late challenge. Maybe that balances out the failure to give Richardson a red.

EJG1980
13-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I see Barton is starting for Newcastle. I put a fiver on him scoring, seems to be the kind of thing that happens when a player has been in the news. Hopefully Newcastle can win, then Spurs can go ahead of Arsenal on goal difference :D

prinnysquad
13-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Hopefully Newcastle can win,

An inexcusable comment... whatever effect it has on Spuz.

EJG1980
13-08-2011, 04:24 PM
It's such a rare event to see Spurs above Arsenal in the table that I'll stoop to any depraved depths to see it!

abigsmurf
13-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Terrible, terrible game so far. Newcastle have no quality anywhere and Arsenal simply can't do anything with the ball when they have it (and they had it a lot). 2 Attempts from Arsenal in a game they were dominating...

toythatkills
13-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Arsenal need to sign someone like Barcelona's Cesc Fabregas for a bit of creativity.

EJG1980
13-08-2011, 06:11 PM
As much as I enjoy seeing things go against Arsenal, what a pussy Barton is, going down like he'd been shot from what was barely a tap on the head. Real hard man.

abigsmurf
13-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Still was a red, doesn't really matter if it was a slap or punch (regardless of what ESPN say). Barton was perhaps lucky not to get a red, Song definately was.

Only interesting thing in the match really. Both sides were poor.

EJG1980
13-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Oh I agree, raise your hands and you should go. I just have a feeling had someone reacted that way to something Barton had done, we'd have had a holier-than-thou Twitter rant about how "real men" wouldn't dive around like that. And yeah, Song definitely should have gone too.

toythatkills
13-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Wenger has got a TON of work to do if he wants to qualify for the Champion's League this year, let alone next year. And he's got days to do it in, after an entire summer of ****ing around.

abigsmurf
13-08-2011, 08:16 PM
If the lower teams see that parking the bus will get them a point, they'll all do it. They need a strong Drogba-esque striker who'll force his way through defenders and take on shots.

Today showed that Arsenal are still thinking they can pass the ball into the goal. Gervinho looked quality but... he needs to sort out his attitude fast. It's also no good having someone like him though if he's going to be crossing the ball into an empty box or giving the ball to someone who doesn't want to commit to shooting.

Jebus
13-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Still irks me that they have a striker as good as Van Persie taking corners...get him in the bloody box!

Gervhino's diving today, twice I counted...no thanks, aside from that (and the slap) he looked good.

I really hope Song gets a full 3 game ban too. What he does was disgraceful, and the pointing at him after he'd done it, just utterly detestable. No place for that in the game.

I'd be worried if I were a Gooner. They still (imho) need a defender who will just hoof it instead of playing it out of defence, and they need a strong midfielder (Song, but much...much better) as well. Van Persie needs to be told to just swing at it with his right occasionally. If he gets nearly 20 with the way he plays now, he'd get 30 if he occasionally just had a go with his right.

Neil
13-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Well that was fairly dull.
Why oh why can't all the teams play on the first Saturday of the season?
Sunderland ftw!

Jebus
13-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Speak for yourself! A four-nil win away from home with all our best players either gone or missing? I'm rather happy, especially given the next 3-4 fixtures!

Neil
13-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah that was nice for you guys. Warnock trying to slag off Davies was pretty weak.

toythatkills
13-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Has Warnock ever been able to cope with the Premiership?

Neil
13-08-2011, 08:52 PM
No I agree. First manager to go IMO.

BaronSqwelch
13-08-2011, 09:43 PM
well Fulham is a civilised place indeed...
still, McLeish Out! :p

MonkeyJuggleDX
13-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Just when you think it's all died down, Bolton go and loot Loftus Road!

Adrock
13-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Same story as last year for Liverpool it seems. Strong first half which they didn't capitalise on to make the lead comfortable. Second half started ok but then Sunderland scored and Liverpool started looked tired and desperate, quick long balls in the hope that someone would be up to receive it.

I'm not sure its the same as last year. When Hodgson was in the charge the team would have lost the game. Larsson's finish was superb and the penalty should have been a red card on reflection, he was still favourite to score before being brought down. Its a shame really because Sunderland were restricted to few clear cut chances but thats the game I suppose. Should have been finished by half time.

Ajay1986
14-08-2011, 12:13 AM

To be fair if the FA weren't so spineless over the West Ham Tevez affair Sheff United would have stayed up.

prinnysquad
14-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Nice to see MOTD fail to include the challenge highlighted elsewhere on this thread.

Team Andromeda
14-08-2011, 09:07 AM

He's done/does pretty well given the Budget and players he had/has to work with. Thought QPR played rather well in the 1st half, shame we were **** in the 2nd.

Neil
14-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Nice to see MOTD fail to include the challenge highlighted elsewhere on this thread.

Yep poor.

Nice to see Wes Brown have a good start Prinny I hope he stays fit for you mate, what happened to O Shea?

prinnysquad
14-08-2011, 09:14 AM
He was injured against Bielefeld, and is being kept out as a precaution. Nothing major apparently, but no point in rushing him back.

Brown was a colossus yesterday.

Flabio
14-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Well that was one of the most underwhelming starts to a premier league season for a while wasn't it? Good result for Bolton, QPR are nowhere near as bad as they appeared to be there and will almost certainly pick it up soon.

Trying to decide if I've been football starved enough to want to go down into town and catch todays ones in the pub or not.

abigsmurf
14-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah, all the big games yesterday were pretty poor.

Hopefully Chelsea will keep their form from pre-season today...

toythatkills
14-08-2011, 03:51 PM
?20m, and I could have saved that shot de Gea just let in. Amazing.

Jebus
14-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Yeah that was nice for you guys. Warnock trying to slag off Davies was pretty weak.

Did he? What was his problem now? Strikes me he should have complained about his players, letting 4 goals in at home on the opening day? Playing 4-2-4 against a team playing 4-4-2? Twat.

Flabio
14-08-2011, 04:26 PM
He was saying that Davies has the skill to commit lots of fouls and get away with them. Called him a 'seasoned pro' in a tone that suggested he disapproved.

abigsmurf
14-08-2011, 04:44 PM
West Brom were dominating, Man U get one attack and they get an own goal. Wish we had that kind of luck.

Amusing hearing the commentators going on about the "Man U spirit" after it.

toythatkills
14-08-2011, 04:47 PM
It's Man Utd all over, that, and it's why they win the league every year. They never believe they're out of a game, when teams like Arsenal believe they're out of a game half the time even if they're 3-0 up.

abigsmurf
14-08-2011, 04:50 PM
How does having a single attack resulting in a lucky goal show belief/spirit? They were getting hammered and got a let off. Spirit doesn't come into it.

toythatkills
14-08-2011, 05:05 PM
If they didn't have belief, they wouldn't have been up there. Any other team under the cosh like that would have had every man back in their box but United don't play that way, they expect to get forward and so they're always ready for it.

hudson
14-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Is that true? One shot on target for Mancs? Magical result for them if true.

Flabio
14-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Given they scored twice, only one on target would be a bit... wrong. Or do own goals not count as shots on target then? Fair enough.

hudson
14-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Young's deflected goal a cross, no?

Jebus
14-08-2011, 06:27 PM
He was saying that Davies has the skill to commit lots of fouls and get away with them. Called him a 'seasoned pro' in a tone that suggested he disapproved.

If he thinks Davo "gets away" fouls, he's a nutjob...and a deluded one at that!

EJG1980
14-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Indeed. I think it was a season or so ago that I saw it mentioned, but I'm sure Kevin Davies was the player who had more fouls given against him than any other player since the start of the Premier League (or he was at least right near the top of the list). Not exactly getting away with it!

toythatkills
14-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm sure Kevin Davies was the player who had more fouls given against him than any other player since the start of the Premier League

That doesn't necessarily mean he didn't get away with the most, too :p

EJG1980
14-08-2011, 07:37 PM
That doesn't necessarily mean he didn't get away with the most, too :p
You are technically correct - the best kind of correct :)

Neil
14-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Saw Kevin Davies on Goals on Sunday today, he has the biggest thighs I have ever seen in my life.

Team Andromeda
15-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Jussi Jaaskelainen and Kenvin Davies are some of the most underrated and overlooked players in the whole of the Premiership; Both have continually performed wonders over the years, but because they're play for Bolton , seem to get over looked Kevin Davies should be a England regular imo

BTW, I genuinely wish all the best To Swansea . Hope they performer and shut the people up, that think a Welsh Club don't deserver to be in the Premiership

Herbalizer
15-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Jussi Jaaskelainen and Kenvin Davies are some of the most underrated and overlooked players in the whole of the Premiership; Both have continually performed wonders over the years, but because they're play for Bolton , seem to get over looked Kevin Davies should be a England regular imo

BTW, I genuinely wish all the best To Swansea . Hope they performer and shut the people up, that think a Welsh Club don't deserver to be in the Premiership

Cheers. We will take a fair few beatings but I believe that over the course of the season we will pick enough points up to be ok. Move over Arsenal, there is a new footballing team in town. :rofl:

EJG1980
15-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Lovely to see the way Swansea are passing the ball around on the deck, don't think I've seen them kick the ball in the air yet. It'll be nice if they get rewarded with survival.

On The Edge of Insanity
15-08-2011, 07:36 PM

In fairness to Warnock - not a phrase I ever thought I'd be typing! - what he actually said was that he was surprised Davies didn't get a yellow card considering the number of fouls he committed.

Adrock
15-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Robbie Keane in dream move to MLS. That dude must have a ****ton of dreams, probably been dreaming on the pitch these last couple of years. Its amazing how far he has fallen.

PaTaito
15-08-2011, 09:14 PM
wow.....Aguerro! now thats the kind of start i think city have been looking for when they spend big.

If they sign nasri they will be right up there...is it me though or does barry look like a weak link right now?

Herbalizer
15-08-2011, 09:20 PM
That was quite the baptism of fire into the Premier League. An encouraging first half but we got blown away in the second half. On the plus side our keeper looked brilliant, just needs to work on his distribution.

abigsmurf
16-08-2011, 09:07 AM
The Mail are reporting that Chelsea could bid for Meireles. I don't hold out much belief that'll happen, not entirely sure if I'd want it or not either.

CrispyXUK
16-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Wow, we got Aguero for the price of Carroll!

mr_sockochris
16-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Transfer fee? Yes. Wages? Not even close.

Adrock
16-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Hang on, he has played against a team in Swansea who want to play expansive flowing football. Which is exactly the kind of recipe for getting taken apart by teams containing technically gifted players.

I'm not suggesting for a second Aguero will fail miserably against someone like Stoke but I'd like to see how he does react, that'll give me an indication on whether or not he will be a true success at Man City. I hope he does amazingly because from what I've heard about him I'd love to witness the kind of player he is touted to be.

But lets not get too carried away.

abigsmurf
16-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Swansea probably have no midfield to speak of and a very shaky defensive not used to parking the bus. Probably the best side City could hope to play against.

Remains to be seen how they do against more experienced sides.

On The Edge of Insanity
16-08-2011, 02:53 PM
The Mail are reporting that Chelsea could bid for Meireles. I don't hold out much belief that'll happen, not entirely sure if I'd want it or not either.

Considering one of the first things Villa Boas did as Porto coach was sanction Meireles' departure to Anfield it would seem highly unlikely.

abigsmurf
18-08-2011, 08:05 AM
More potential rubbish from the Mail saying we've had a ?22mill bid for Juan Mata turned down. Don't trust the Mail at all but he's exactly the player we need.

Modric looks set to come in, Benayoun looks set to leave.

toythatkills
18-08-2011, 08:39 AM
He's exactly the player Arsenal need as well, so I think we can expect him in a Chelsea shirt before long

Saying that, Arsenal need 11 players at the moment.

EJG1980
18-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Ahh, Harry, I love what you've done at Spurs but sometimes a little bit of restraint with the mouth would be useful. After saying that if Modric went we'd bring in four players to boost the team, he also said that the chairman's position was still that Modric isn't for sale at any price. Harry must know though that the papers would ignore the latter and concentrate on the former.

I'm still fairly confident Modric will actually stay, but Harry's comments have put a dent in that confidence. The important person is Daniel Levy though, he made such a big point about Modric not being sold under any circumstances that I would expect him to stick to that. I would lose a fair bit of respect for him if Modric does go.

abigsmurf
18-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Could end up being Kalou/Benayoun (or both) + money. Wouldn't get much cash with that kind of deal mind, probably not good having arriving players thinking they're just value added bonuses.

Kalou is great as an impact sub but he misses far too often when starting.

prinnysquad
18-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Enough of this Modrock crap! Keep him and sell us Kranjcar. These damn Lahndoners and their Charlie Big Bollocks antics, let someone else have a look in!

Our new transfer pitch to fringe squad players on big teams should be - come to the North East, we don't riot round these parts.

EJG1980
18-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Could end up being Kalou/Benayoun (or both) + money. Wouldn't get much cash with that kind of deal mind, probably not good having arriving players thinking they're just value added bonuses.

Kalou is great as an impact sub but he misses far too often when starting.
It's another thing that I haven't seen widely reported, but Harry did say during the interview that he wouldn't want any Chelsea players in exchange.

It is annoying though that he's saying this now, about selling him early so we can get other players in. That would make sense if he'd said it in July, but saying it now, with less than two weeks of the window to go? With the speed our transfers move at there's no way we'd get in all the players he wanted in that time!

Enough of this Modrock crap! Keep him and sell us Kranjcar. These damn Lahndoners and their Charlie Big Bollocks antics, let someone else have a look in!

Our new transfer pitch to fringe squad players on big teams should be - come to the North East, we don't riot round these parts.

It'd be a damn shame if Kranjcar left, he's a great player who has done really well for us. He is too good for the bench though so I wouldn't begrudge him a move away. He has the added bonus of instantly making your team the best looking in the league, no matter what other players you have in your team. Ahhhhh, Krunchie... :wub:

prinnysquad
18-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Well, we need to counterbalance David Vaughan.

http://tangerinedreaming.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/david-vaughan.jpg

Adrock
18-08-2011, 02:47 PM
HEY YOU GUYS!

abigsmurf
20-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Liverpool looked as if they should demolish Arsenal from about 20 minutes then eased off towards the end of the half. Arsenal players were largely scared to commit to a shot or to get into the box (except for Nasri).

Both teams seem to be continuing their current form at the moment.

prinnysquad
20-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Another SCANDALOUS derby performance, masterminded by the man who supports the opposition. He must use some kind of subtle psychological warfare in the dressing room on his own team, so that they crumble against his boyhood heroes.

We've brought in a whole new team, yet the end result is the same - humiliation.

A man sent off, another who should have went, and a defeat at home.

Against a team who have sold three of their best players.

There's are no excuses. We will NEVER, EVER win a derby under Steve Bruce. That man's a ****.

vanpeebles
20-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Shocking challenge by Frimpong for dirty Arsenal, what a two faced side they are. Wenger always lecturing on what is dirty play yet his own team consistently picks up red cards.

abigsmurf
20-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Arsenal were unlucky there. Going to be a worrying few games given how crippled their squad are.

Liverpool got a big three points but I still think them getting 4th+ is a big ask on that performance.

Plough Boy
20-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Another SCANDALOUS derby performance, masterminded by the man who supports the opposition. He must use some kind of subtle psychological warfare in the dressing room on his own team, so that they crumble against his boyhood heroes.

We've brought in a whole new team, yet the end result is the same - humiliation.

A man sent off, another who should have went, and a defeat at home.

Against a team who have sold three of their best players.

There's are no excuses. We will NEVER, EVER win a derby under Steve Bruce. That man's a ****.
MagBoss says "Happy Brthday Prinny - I hope you enjoyed the show!"

hudson
20-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm sure we will find our footing as the season goes on. Early days, new signing teething etc. Very happy with our defence today and especially Enrique. May have been a different story if Suarez had come on earlier, as it was frustrating to watch beforehand.

Great 3 points. Deserved.

prinnysquad
20-08-2011, 02:03 PM
MagBoss says "Happy Brthday Prinny - I hope you enjoyed the show!"

24 years of derbies, and I can only remember 4 wins. 1990, 1999, 2000, 2008.

Your lot had half that in one season vs your rivals.

Victory for Alan Pardew's team means that Newcastle have lost only one of the last 13 league games against their north-east rivals and it was Pardew's first since taking over as boss last season.

From bbc sport. What a brilliant record against a club who have been through a relegation and are meant to have been **** during most of that period.

toythatkills
20-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Shocking challenge by Frimpong for dirty Arsenal, what a two faced side they are. Wenger always lecturing on what is dirty play yet his own team consistently picks up red cards.

He's a kid who was pretty much making his debut against one of the better teams in the Premier League, in a team in which he's surrounded by utter ****. It was just inexperience/overexcitedness/pressure. He'll get used to it.

And Gervinho last week can hardly be called dirty play, really, that was just stupidity.

nakamura
20-08-2011, 10:03 PM
And Gervinho last week can hardly be called dirty play, really, that was just Joey Barton.

Amended!

Jebus
21-08-2011, 07:29 AM
He's a kid who was pretty much making his debut against one of the better teams in the Premier League, in a team in which he's surrounded by utter ****. It was just inexperience/overexcitedness/pressure. He'll get used to it.

And Gervinho last week can hardly be called dirty play, really, that was just stupidity.

Is that some kind of excuse? It was a horrible tackle, you don't need to be 30 years old to know that kind of thing isn't cool. Frimpong will have been playing from a very early age, he will know you don't tackle that way.

I've always said, Arsenal bang on about how dirty other teams are - but most of the seriously bad challenges come from Arsenal. They play such a possession based game, they really don't know how to tackle.

Agree with Gervinho though, not exactly "dirty" per say.

I'd worry about the amout of recurring injuries at Arsenal though.

toythatkills
21-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Is that some kind of excuse? It was a horrible tackle, you don't need to be 30 years old to know that kind of thing isn't cool. Frimpong will have been playing from a very early age, he will know you don't tackle that way.

I'm not trying to excuse it, but I just don't think it can be underestimated how playing against Liverpool in a stadium full of 60,000 people could affect the mindset of a young player to the point that they go over the top. He'll know it was wrong and it was, but it's easy to see how the atmosphere and circumstances could get to him when he's simply never played in that environment before and with that pressure.

It's by no means the same as a player with years of PL experience doing the same thing for a team that's been specifically sent out to be violent. Arsenal might make some bad tackles but I think it's unfair to say they're worse than anyone else (and I'm not saying they're better). It's just that when Arsenal make a bad tackle it's because they're **** at tackling. When Stoke do it it's because the only way they know how to get results is to "show 'em they're in a match."

Stoppy2000
21-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Have stoke had 2 red cards already this season?

Adrock
21-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Frimpong isn't **** at tackling. That was horribly timed and nasty. Whether or not the occasion got to him is by the by.

And when has not being able to tackle ever been an excuse? Any footballer at any level should know when their actions are gonna put somebody else in danger and whether or not they want to do that is upto the player. Its all in the mindset.

abigsmurf
21-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Frimpong isn't **** at tackling. That was horribly timed and nasty. Whether or not the occasion got to him is by the by.

And when has not being able to tackle ever been an excuse? Any footballer at any level should know when their actions are gonna put somebody else in danger and whether or not they want to do that is upto the player. Its all in the mindset.

When you're Paul Scholes

"Oh dear, that could've been a broken leg, oh Scholesy you old scamp! A shame the ref felt the need to give him a yellow, it's only his 5th foul!"

Adrock
21-08-2011, 10:21 AM
I think for every fan apart from United followers Scholes' inability to not be a dirty bastard was infuriating when the media played the same old tired lines.

As a crap footballer who has played for many years I've always known when a ball was there to be won or not. I've always known whether or not the challenge I was gonna make could end up catching the person. I've had games myself where I've serially fouled people because either I disliked them or they were just too bloody fast. Either way I always knew what I was doing.

So being crap at tackling is definitely not an excuse.

Jebus
21-08-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm not trying to excuse it, but I just don't think it can be underestimated how playing against Liverpool in a stadium full of 60,000 people could affect the mindset of a young player to the point that they go over the top. He'll know it was wrong and it was, but it's easy to see how the atmosphere and circumstances could get to him when he's simply never played in that environment before and with that pressure.

But who is to blame for all of those circumstances? If the manager doesn't think he's ready then he shouldn't play him.

If he does think he's ready then there can be no excuse.

In Scholes' case, he finished his career about 10 red cards short of what he should have, and that's being conservative.

Plough Boy
21-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Naaaaaaaridge 1-1 Stoke.

Game turned on sending off. ****ty were bossing it until then.
Foul was outside the box and red card was well harsh. Justice done with penalty save but down to 10 men it was always going to be hard. Bloody Kenwyne Jones - did SOD all whenever I saw him at the Stadium of Light. A 94th minute equaliser is a taste of our own medicine.

Absolutely gutted. We deserved to win.

toythatkills
21-08-2011, 03:05 PM
But who is to blame for all of those circumstances? If the manager doesn't think he's ready then he shouldn't play him.

He hasn't got much choice, Arsenal have barely any players left.

Stoppy2000
21-08-2011, 03:13 PM

But who is to blame for that? Why its good old wasp-chewing Wenger with his ridiculous transfer policy. Lets not excuse him for his awful disciplinary record.

toythatkills
21-08-2011, 03:31 PM
But who is to blame for that? Why its good old wasp-chewing Wenger with his ridiculous transfer policy. Lets not excuse him for his awful disciplinary record.

Arsenal have been in the top-ten for good disciplinary records in the PL for eight of the last nine seasons, but let's not let facts get in the way, eh?

Stoppy2000
21-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Played 2 had 2 players sent off, should've been 3.

toythatkills
21-08-2011, 03:38 PM
What does that have to do with anything? I'm sure every team in the Premiership has had players sent off in consecutive games before.

Except Fulham, probably.

Stoppy2000
21-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Maybe if Wenger wasn't always trying to portray his team as holier than thou and also having a go at other teams then it wouldn't matter. But apparently a player making a horrendous tackle can now be excused by him being inexperienced. Or his manager not making sufficient signings to ensure he doesnt need to played until he is ready. Hmm.

toythatkills
21-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Maybe if Wenger wasn't always trying to portray his team as holier than thou and also having a go at other teams then it wouldn't matter. But apparently a player making a horrendous tackle can now be excused by him being inexperienced. Or his manager not making sufficient signings to ensure he doesnt need to played until he is ready. Hmm.

I think you're missing my point, either deliberately or not.

I'm not trying and haven't tried to excuse the tackle, it was a bad tackle. All I've said is that there are reasons why it occurred.

You're the one basing Arsene Wenger's entire disciplinary career on two incidents.

Stoppy2000
21-08-2011, 04:36 PM
But your reasons are trying to excuse the tackle, hence they are excuses?

toythatkills
21-08-2011, 05:01 PM
How am I excusing it? It was a bad tackle and he deserved to get carded for it. He got precisely what he deserved to get.

I'm just explaining why it probably happened, I'm not making excuses or saying that it's fine.

Jebus
21-08-2011, 05:06 PM

Then Wenger should probably sign some, some that are over 17 perhaps?

toythatkills
21-08-2011, 05:19 PM
He keeps saying he'll only sign "super-quality" players, players that will improve the team. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have noticed that signing literally anyone that's ever kicked a football would improve the team right now, just normal quality would be totally fine. And also he's missed that all these fictional "super-quality" players don't want to join Arsenal because come Thursday there's a very real chance they won't be in the Champion's League after last season's total ****-up in the last two months.

abigsmurf
22-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Howard Webb is going to be doing the Man U Arsenal game. I find it amazing the FA still allocate him Man U games.

toythatkills
22-08-2011, 05:02 PM
It's alright, they're just giving him the games that United have no chance of losing anyway.

Kieran76
22-08-2011, 07:12 PM
That beard. How did Ferguson let him walk out on the pitch looking like that.

vanpeebles
22-08-2011, 07:17 PM
What a diving little fart Bale is, proper monkey face too.

toythatkills
24-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Looks like Santa-Cruz might be away from Man City to Sunderland. Remember him?

Man City must have so many players that the world has completely forgotten about their existence.

abigsmurf
24-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Did Wright Phillips complete a ?2.5million move away from City yet?

Nothing against him personally but I do get some pleasure at his dad being made to look a blinkered fool after how much he slated Chelsea for not playing him enough.

abigsmurf
26-08-2011, 10:35 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/26/sir-alex-ferguson-manchester-united

Ferguson needs to stop with this persecution complex. He's been treated with kid gloves for decades and been on the receiving end of more than a few favourable decisions. With him throwing a tantrum after a reporter dared bring up Ryan Giggs in a press conferenced, he's really turning/turned into a bitter old man.

Ironic that this comes a day after he finally decides to fufil his obligations and do interviews with the BBC (for which he's never been punished for) and before yet another big Man U game being officiated by Howard Webb.

Jebus
26-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Wenger has bid ?6 million for Gary Cahill.

What an arrogant fool. 6 million, after paying how much for that Saints lad?

There's talk of "add ons" but how does that help the selling club? We want a big fee (he's well worth it when you compare what other players go for) so we can reinvest, not some cheeky "addon" that gives us some more money in 6 months time,

prinnysquad
26-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Haha. Arse must be loaded too.

Nice to see our season starting exactly the same way as January-May of the last. Bruce claimed a couple of weeks ago to know exactly who was playing where. Oh really? There's been chops and changes already, with an incredible NO recognised strikers on the field against Brighton. There's the old, old problem of left backs and left wingers that hasn't be resolved, with Bruce's fannying about letting Johnson and now Insomnia get away. Gyan has come back from pre-season looking like a fat, lazy, disinterested bag of chod. He must have raided Bruce's pie cupboard. Although, he must be pissed off after seeing 10 signings come through the door, yet not one of them is a proven centre forward for him to play with. Promising young guns is great, but Gyan has no-one to play alongside in the here and now. He's the lone man upfront AGAIN, despite the evidence of last season, after Bent left, that this doesn't work. We currently have one goal in three games. All those signings and there's still no balance whatsoever to the side.

Bruce has three realistic objectives this season:

Finish slightly higher in the league.
Do better in the cups.
Win a derby.

A week and a half into the new season and he's cockpissed up two of those already. Nice one. I can see us getting spunked by Swansea as well, with Chelsea up shortly. Already, it's difficult to see where the points will come from.

Jebus
26-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Haha. Arse must be loaded too.

I think their fans deserve better than his clown-antics of the moment.

They all know they need a centre back, and he's playing silly buggers low-balling a club that don't really even want to sell their best defender.

Adrock
26-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Cahill is in the final year or his contract. It used to be, until City started spending big, that the length of a player's contract helped determine their value. A player with 12 months left on their deal would be justifiably cheaper because the club can just wait and get the player for free in a years time.

Now, if Bolton aren't happy with the offer, taking it public to try and get more money is a cynical tactic. Coyle has been hawking him about all pre-season and the truth of the matter is, if no clubs are willing to match Bolton's valuation they have the choice to drop that asking price or hold onto him for one more season and lose him for nothing.

So, Bolton are basically hoping for a couple of clubs to get in a bidding war. If not that 6mil plus add ons will seem like good money come next Weds.

I dont think waiting until January is an option either. The price would be even less because his contract would be so short.

prinnysquad
26-08-2011, 03:34 PM
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/05/24/bolton-owen-coyle-style-of-football/

lol, check out the table called 'Factor 4'. :lol:

toythatkills
26-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Cahill is in the final year or his contract. It used to be, until City started spending big, that the length of a player's contract helped determine their value. A player with 12 months left on their deal would be justifiably cheaper because the club can just wait and get the player for free in a years time.

This. ?6m for a centre-back who's leaving on a free next summer would have been seen as a brilliant price before Man City started spending like morons.

EJG1980
26-08-2011, 03:54 PM
We wouldn't get him if Arsenal are seriously interested, but I'd like to see Spurs make a late attempt for Cahill. You can't rely on King, Gallas seems to be prone to picking up niggles and knocks, Cahill would be an excellent addition to our defence.

toythatkills
26-08-2011, 03:58 PM
He's better than Spurs, tbh :p

Jebus
26-08-2011, 04:32 PM
This. ?6m for a centre-back who's leaving on a free next summer would have been seen as a brilliant price before Man City started spending like morons.

I'm glad you all know that he's definitely leaving in the summer for free. I mean, it's not like there would be a ****load of speculation about him leaving for a "big club" and then he ended up not leaving and signing a new contract, is there

Oh wait, thats exactly what happened last time with Cahill.

The bottom line is that we don't really want to sell him, and it'll take nearer 15-17 million to get him. We'd rather get another good season out of him with an entire year to sort his replacement, than lose him for peanuts. He's worth a great deal more than 6-7 million.

toythatkills
26-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Realistically, he'll go for ?9-10m this summer, or nothing next summer. There's no way he's leaving for ?16m unless City start bidding. You're kidding yourself if you think he's gonna stay, even if it did happen before.

Getting another season out of him would be nice, but are Bolton financially stable enough that they can write off ten million quid?

PaTaito
26-08-2011, 04:42 PM

Actually aguero was 38 million and was a club record...blame chelsea for spending 50m for an out of form torres, and real madrid for spending so much over the odds that i dont care to comment.

City pay big wages yes, but as for transfer fee's i think they get too much stick.

Nasri sold for 23m with not much of a contract remaining, but he is top, top draw.

toythatkills
26-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Scott Parker to Spurs, it seems.

Jebus
26-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Realistically, he'll go for ?9-10m this summer, or nothing next summer. There's no way he's leaving for ?16m unless City start bidding. You're kidding yourself if you think he's gonna stay, even if it did happen before.

Getting another season out of him would be nice, but are Bolton financially stable enough that they can write off ten million quid?

10 million quid isn't being offered. Before the window we were going to have to sell him to buy, fortunately though, Wigan gave us 5 million for Al Habsi, which was unexpected. I still say it'll need more than 10 million for us to let him go.

Again, EVERYONE was saying he'd go last time, and didn't. He's playing for a well respected manager and knows he still has a lot to learn.

Ask yourself, would YOU sign for Arsenal at the moment?

toythatkills
26-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Would I sign for a team in the Champion's League? Of course I would. So will he. I imagine the situation is very different now than last time, considering he'd walk into the defence at Arsenal rather than have to be back-up as might have been the situation before. I can see why he might have stayed back then to keep playing first team football but he's going to get that when he moves now, there's no reason to stay at Bolton. I don't mean any disrespect by that, but you must be able to appreciate that he'd want to play in bigger competitions.

And we don't know what's been offered. Wenger has said that that ?6m offer is a complete lie, so who knows what the real story is. He'll go for an offer of ?10m though.

Malavon
26-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Over Bolton? Everyone would.

Adrock
26-08-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm glad you all know that he's definitely leaving in the summer for free. I mean, it's not like there would be a ****load of speculation about him leaving for a "big club" and then he ended up not leaving and signing a new contract, is there

Oh wait, thats exactly what happened last time with Cahill.

The bottom line is that we don't really want to sell him, and it'll take nearer 15-17 million to get him. We'd rather get another good season out of him with an entire year to sort his replacement, than lose him for peanuts. He's worth a great deal more than 6-7 million.

If that was the case I dont think Bolton would be touting him like a cheap whore all Summer. He IS for sale at the right price. The problem is at the moment Bolton's right price is nothing like anyone else's right price. If the price is met, then fair enough. If not then Cahill knows clubs are interested in him now that Arsenal's offer has been made public.

Rumour was he wanted to stay up north and didn't want to move to London. If thats the case then Liverpool could be well placed to bide time and wait for him to become a free agent or stick in a cheeky bid near the end of the window.

The difference this time round is that Cahill is getting plaudits and is older than he was last time. He has given his time to Bolton and could feel its time to move on. I think he has probably let it be known he wouldn't mind a move away.

Plough Boy
26-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Really rather worried about tomorrow. If Chelsea get less than 5 goals I will be surprised. As he's been playing like crap for over a year Torres is bound to grab a hat-trick. Norwich, I fear, are in for a major scudding.

EJG1980
26-08-2011, 06:29 PM
He's better than Spurs, tbh :p
Oh come off it, AS IF he could resist the lure of joining a squad with the likes of Jenas and Bentley! :hmm:

Jebus
26-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Would I sign for a team in the Champion's League? Of course I would. So will he. I imagine the situation is very different now than last time, considering he'd walk into the defence at Arsenal rather than have to be back-up as might have been the situation before. I can see why he might have stayed back then to keep playing first team football but he's going to get that when he moves now, there's no reason to stay at Bolton. I don't mean any disrespect by that, but you must be able to appreciate that he'd want to play in bigger competitions.

And we don't know what's been offered. Wenger has said that that ?6m offer is a complete lie, so who knows what the real story is. He'll go for an offer of ?10m though.

There's only one champions league club that want him, and they are lowballing. They are also the first club the entire window to even enquire.

He's more likely to go to Liverpool, as we're after N'Gog.

Coyle and Gartside want over ?15 million, and I don't think they are gonna accept much lower.

Why should we accept 10 million? Because we're Bolton and they are Arsenal? They have money and we have the player they want, why should we have to accept their valuation?

toythatkills
26-08-2011, 07:14 PM
There's only one champions league club that want him, and they are lowballing. They are also the first club the entire window to even enquire.

He's more likely to go to Liverpool, as we're after N'Gog.

Coyle and Gartside want over ?15 million, and I don't think they are gonna accept much lower.

Why should we accept 10 million? Because we're Bolton and they are Arsenal? They have money and we have the player they want, why should we have to accept their valuation?

It's nothing to do with the status of Arsenal or Bolton.

You should accept ?10m because it's a decent price. ?15m is a good price for Cahill with five years on his contract, it's not for when he's leaving for nothing next summer, you have to accept that Bolton don't hold all the cards here, just like Arsenal didn't with Nasri. Wenger's patient, too, he waited a year to get Chamakh on a free transfer rather than pay over the odds for him. You should accept ?10m because if you don't accept it, you lose ?10m when he leaves next summer, and then you lose more replacing him. If Bolton can afford to do that, fair enough, but there aren't many Premier League clubs that can write off that sort of money. Don't expect someone else to pop up and give you ?15m, like you say, there's only one team that's expressed an interest.

There's no point saying Arsenal are lowballing, Arsenal have denied that offer so there's no way at all to know if it actually happened.

Jebus
26-08-2011, 08:59 PM
If we lose him on a free, it won't be to Arsenal, that I can guarantee you.

toythatkills
26-08-2011, 09:16 PM
If we lose him on a free, it won't be to Arsenal, that I can guarantee you.

Can you?

Jebus
27-08-2011, 07:31 AM
I think I just said I could? :-S

toythatkills
27-08-2011, 08:56 AM
How?

Jebus
27-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Magic. That's how.

toythatkills
27-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Apparently some Korean striker playing in France has skipped the country half way through a medical with Lille to sign for Arsenal instead :lol:

They hadn't even realised he was gone.

toythatkills
27-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Chelsea are not comfortable at all in defence when Cech isn't there, are they?

Jebus
27-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Nope, but to be honest I think he's on the way out anyway.

abigsmurf
27-08-2011, 03:25 PM
That drogba injury is horrific. I'm seriously worried.

Knocked out mid air and he took the full force of the fall on his face.

Jebus
27-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Just heard he was stretchered off? Not good :(

abigsmurf
27-08-2011, 03:36 PM
http://gif.mocksession.com/2011/08/drogba/

Warning, it's a pretty awful looking injury

toythatkills
27-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Norwich's keepers are called Ruddy and Rudd? :lol:

abigsmurf
27-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Video cuts out just as the penalty was given argh.

Still, nice we actually got a penalty for a change (even if it was pretty much impossible not to give it).

Jebus
27-08-2011, 04:08 PM
http://gif.mocksession.com/2011/08/drogba/

Warning, it's a pretty awful looking injury

He's out before he hits the ground by the looks of it...ouch.

abigsmurf
27-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Lastest word is that he's come around after being out cold for 30 minutes. Hoping it's just a concussion but I imagine he's spending the night in hospital.

EJG1980
27-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Still, nice we actually got a penalty for a change
Only Man City were awarded more penalties than Chelsea last season. The season before Chelsea were awarded more penalties than anyone else in the Premier League. Everyone gets bad calls against them sometimes, but your lot aren't exactly being starved of spot kicks.

That Drogba incident looks effing nasty. Hopefully he's okay, sounds like he has avoided anything too serious.

toythatkills
27-08-2011, 04:22 PM
If it's any consolation, at least it won't affect his looks.

(I hope he's okay)

Jebus
27-08-2011, 05:24 PM
As bad a half from us as I've seen in years. If we could make 6 subs, we should.

Klasnic and Davies up front are appalling, quite frankly embarassing.

toythatkills
27-08-2011, 05:35 PM
It started so brightly for you a couple of weeks back as well

nakamura
27-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Against QPR.

toythatkills
27-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Wow, if you thought the first half was bad...

toythatkills
27-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Drogba's been given the all-clear after a head scan and is allowed home from hospital tonight, so seems like he's totally fine

Jebus
27-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Against QPR.

Exactly.

To a man, we were awful. Liverpool are a decent side, but not THAT good.

Honestly, one of the worst performances I've seen in about 5 years.

hudson
27-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Exactly.

To a man, we were awful. Liverpool are a decent side, but not THAT good.

Honestly, one of the worst performances I've seen in about 5 years.

Liverpool are THAT good. Walked that match today. We are a real test for any top side and have fair share of wins against them. We have been subject to some transitional periods of late... owners, managers, players etc and are now looking to solidify leet style.

toythatkills
27-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Liverpool have had two rubbish performances this season, and then were good against a poor Bolton performance. I think it's a bit soon to be raving about them like that.

Owen Coyle is so rubbish, he's blaming Cahill's performance on Arsenal. Maybe he just had a bad game. Maybe if Bolton hadn't gone to the press bitching about Arsenal's offer Cahill never would have even known about it.

hudson
27-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Even a bitter 'blind-to-Liverpool-when-doing-good' person can see that with our new look team is a tasty tricky force. Suarez ffs. Not a bad campaign so far for a "rubbish performing" team that is finding its new feet.

prinnysquad
27-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Seems young Henderson had a decent game?

hudson
27-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Seems young Henderson had a decent game?

He did. Happy for him. He had a bit of a crap game during the week though. That goal will do him good.

toythatkills
27-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Even a bitter 'blind-to-Liverpool-when-doing-good' person can see that with our new look team is a tasty tricky force. Suarez ffs. Not a bad campaign so far for a "rubbish performing" team that is finding its new feet.

Yeah, you've got a decent side and will do well this season, but you're not performing just yet. You played poorly against Sunderland, and poorly against a terrible Arsenal side and you were lucky to get three points when they imploded. The potential's there, but you're being a bit hasty at the moment :p

And what on earth are you going to do with ?35m of Carroll? By all accounts the team is a shadow of itself when he's in it.

hudson
27-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Not saying we are going to win the league or anything.

Agree that Carroll tends to look like a donkey. Hopefully he'll come good. But 35mill for him was silly money especially when Aguero was a few million less.

He does have a cracking left peg though.

parkinho
27-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Liverpool looked good today, plenty of lefties give the team a nice balance. Excellent movement off the ball, especially from Downing and Suarez, very difficult to cope with. Was it ?6 million you paid for Enrique? What a bargain, he is a class act. Bolton were woeful mind you - didn't even realise that Eagles had been hauled off as Tuncay looks just like him.

Jebus
27-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Liverpool will finish top 4 I think, and Enrique will be transfer of the summer.

We were absolutely dreadful, I really wouldn't read too much into it. Man Utd or City would have scored another 3 at least today.

We're missing our two best (injured) players (Holden and Chung Yong) like mad. Mears signing and getting injured is **** too, as he was probably going to replace Steinsson.

As for Cahill...Spotting a bad performance in today's match for us would be near impossible. To a man they are dreadful. I've never seen Kevin Davies play that badly, EVER.

toythatkills
27-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I think Mata will probably be the signing of the season.

Or Cahill ;)

nakamura
27-08-2011, 10:36 PM
I quite like Liverpool now. They are still a bit flat in a lot of areas and lack flair without Suarez but overall there is enough there for solid season.

EJG1980
27-08-2011, 10:50 PM
I think fourth place will be a fight between Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool, and if they keep up this form then Liverpool would be looking like a good bet. Unlike us and the Gooners, Liverpool have the advantage of no European commitments to worry about. It's probably not a coincidence that the season we came 4th we weren't in Europe.

Adrock
28-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Spurs need a signing or two before they can realistically look at overhauling Arsenal for fourth. A tricky player like Joe Cole maybe.

Also, Liverpool are still missing Gerrard. He has it in him to lift the team to another level if he can recapture form of a few years ago. Sebastien Coates looks to be a very interesting signing. Especially considering by all accounts he is extremely good. The price Bolton want for Cahill, in the last year of his contract, is double what Liverpool are looking likely to sign Coates for.

prinnysquad
28-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Another classic game for the Lads yesterday. That's now 1 goal in 4 games. Gyan looked appalling. His first touch couldn't have been worse if he tried to trap the ball with his cock, and his decision making and shooting was lousy. He's been well and truly Bruced.

The gradual descent of Bruce into madness continues. Last season he blamed the injuries for the Feb-May crisis.
This year, so far, it's been:

The goalkeeper's fault (vs the Mags)
The fault of the strikers (vs Brighton, when we didn't have one on the pitch for about the first 60 mins)
The fault of the media (for questioning the failure of two season objectives already)
The fault of the fans (for the same)

He's also said how much he hates derbies (the day before the game) and how much he hates game days (his job).

He has blamed everyone and everything but himself for every disaster since January and the sale of Darren Bent.

Contrast this attitude with Steve Cotterill, who said yesterday that (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'the players were very leggy today, and tired. That's my fault. I've worked them too hard in training on terrible waterlogged pitches. I've learnt my lesson. It's my fault and it won't happen again.'

Still, what more is there to expect from a man whose home record since 1st January is Won 2, Drawn 1, Lost 7?

hudson
28-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Wow, Man City are gonna bum teams for fun this season. Not looking forward to playing them haha

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 02:53 PM
It's already thoroughly boring, this Man City crap.

abigsmurf
28-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Meh, you always get this crap early season (remember Chelsea's start last year? Look how that turned out). It's literally only yesterday people were saying it's Liverpool's year (although to be fair, that's hardly an uncommon occurance).

I can't see City changing to much that they won't get the many 0-0's and 1-1s that have stopped them being title challengers in years past.

Wait until City and Liverpool are up against more in-form sides or sides that keep their cool.

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Look at the line-up against Spurs, there were tons of attacking players whereas in the past Mancini was really defensive. I think he's realised that with the players he's got he could easily just outscore everyone else in the Premiership and so screw the defence.

Arsenal are going to get utterly battered here. It's not looking good as defensive performances go and Howard Webb will have his United shirt on.

vanpeebles
28-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Arsenal look hyper-pap today.

Sam The Man
28-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Amazing from Young. He's looked so bright & enthusiastic the first half an hour. Oh and i don't rate Evans as a top club defender in the slightest and wish he had been sold this window.

vanpeebles
28-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Top penner save and then a super second goal. Lovely curler.

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Proper relegation performance, this. They were never going to win but they could at least ****ing try. It's pathetic. This team needs a ridiculous amount of work and Wenger has three days.

(I'm not saying they'll be relegated, but they would if they played like this every week)

vanpeebles
28-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Arsehaven should of been sent off too.

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Arsehaven should of been sent off too.

Arshavin.

To be honest, if he was sent off it wouldn't make Arsenal any worse, would it? He's a waste of space.

vanpeebles
28-08-2011, 03:41 PM
He would be better at shaving arses than playing football :)

vanpeebles
28-08-2011, 03:42 PM
3-0! stop the clock!

Sam The Man
28-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Perfect free kick from Rooney although their keeper did well to get his hand to it. This could easily be 4 or 5 nil right now and definitely the weakest i have seen arsenal in the prem.

abigsmurf
28-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Arsenal are absolutely shocking. I can't remember seeing Arsenal so bad as they've started this season. Chelsea could be carrying the mantle for London football if North London doesn't get their act together and they've hardly been outstanding.

They so clearly need a centreback and Wenger puts in that insulting bid for Cahill?

*edit*

Well, Walcott gives Arsenal a bit of a lifeline. Another howler from the keeper undoing the plaudits he'd get for the penalty save (even if it was a weak penalty).

Sam The Man
28-08-2011, 03:55 PM
If i was Arsene Wenger and/or the Arsenal chairman with the money they have available i would of made a 35m bid for Sneijder and then offered him 250k a week to sign. I then would of brought in Scott Parker on loan or mabee even a permanent sign to replace Fabregas & Denilson. I also would of tried to sign Sakho from PSG.

abigsmurf
28-08-2011, 03:57 PM
With the time they have left now, they're going to have to pay silly money for anyone they buy (unless they've been pretty good at keeping ongoing negotiations under wraps).

After the awful defending in the first half, Cahill's price has probably gone up by a couple of million given how clear it is they need him.

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 04:09 PM
If i was Arsene Wenger and/or the Arsenal chairman with the money they have available i would of made a 35m bid for Sneijder and then offered him 250k a week to sign. I then would of brought in Scott Parker on loan or mabee even a permanent sign to replace Fabregas & Denilson. I also would of tried to sign Sakho from PSG.

If you're going to play Fantasy Football, why don't we offer Messi ?1,000,000 a week and give Barca ?500,000,000 for him, then get Ronaldo from Madrid for ?6bn. And Tevez for ?all the tea in China. Etc.

Because that's not how a business is run, is why.

vanpeebles
28-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Proper demolition job now, we just need the monsters to turn up from Rampage to flatten a few buildings in the background.

vanpeebles
28-08-2011, 04:26 PM
lol 5-1 now.

Sam The Man
28-08-2011, 04:27 PM
If you're going to play Fantasy Football, why don't we offer Messi ?1,000,000 a week and give Barca ?500,000,000 for him, then get Ronaldo from Madrid for ?6bn. And Tevez for ?all the tea in China. Etc.

Because that's not how a business is run, is why.

Stupid post in every way, heres why:

First of all no club on the planet can afford to pay a player 1m a week and 500m is a figure that is more than 99.9% of the worlds football clubs are worth.

The Ronaldo 6bn comment il not comment on as that was too far a joke to take seriously.

Arsenal can perfectly afford 35m and 250k a week wages especially since gaining nearly 60m from Fabregas & Nasri. Scott Parker is available and has been all transfer window and had a good solid season and could be got for cheap money and wages. Sakho would be harder to get as he's young and PSG don't need the money but it could be possible.

Oh and nice finishes from Rooney & Nani to make it 5 although i think Nani has had a wasteful match in front of goal.

Sam The Man
28-08-2011, 04:29 PM
6-1 its 2001 all over again!

EJG1980
Just got home from WHL to see the fifth go in, tiny bit of consolation to see the Gooners getting dicked as bad as us. North London derby is going to be a relegation six pointer :lol: Ha, six!

vanpeebles
lol 6-1 now!

parkinho
28-08-2011, 04:30 PM
LOL Tevez doesn't even drink tea.

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Arsenal can perfectly afford 35m and 250k a week wages especially since gaining nearly 60m from Fabregas & Nasri. Scott Parker is available and has been all transfer window and had a good solid season and could be got for cheap money and wages. Sakho would be harder to get as he's young and PSG don't need the money but it could be possible.
Of course it was a stupid post, it was meant to be.

You can't pay Sneijder ?250k a week when no other player at the club is on even half that. Suddenly their contract negotiations start demanding the same. Then your wage bill more than doubles for the sake of one player. Arsenal can't perfectly afford that. Big picture, lad :p

6-2! My money's on 6-6.

Sam The Man
28-08-2011, 04:40 PM
He would be the best player at the club by far and everyone would know that so they wouldn't ask for the same and even if they did they would be refused and no one there would be irreplaceable if they chose to leave. I can see the big picture perfectly clearly :lol:. 7-2 i predict.

vanpeebles
28-08-2011, 04:43 PM
It's ok Angela Lansbury is coming on to turn it around for Arsenal.

davek22
28-08-2011, 04:46 PM
City and United put more goals in today than all the premier league scored yesterday. Did someone say two horse race?

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 04:46 PM
He would be the best player at the club by far and everyone would know that so they wouldn't ask for the same and even if they did they would be refused and no one there would be irreplaceable if they chose to leave. 7-2 i predict.
He would be the best player at the club, but to think that nobody else would want more money is ridiculous. You just have no concept of how football works.

Even if nobody else at the club wanted more money it makes it impossible to sign new players because they'd expect to be on what Sneijder's on.

It's just not possible. Arsenal are not Man City.

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Laughable.

Wenger is going to have some job defending this.

vanpeebles
28-08-2011, 04:52 PM
8-2! What a goal as well! Your men took one hell of a beating!

Sam The Man
28-08-2011, 04:57 PM
He would be the best player at the club, but to think that nobody else would want more money is ridiculous. You just have no concept of how football works.

Even if nobody else at the club wanted more money it makes it impossible to sign new players because they'd expect to be on what Sneijder's on.

It's just not possible. Arsenal are not Man City.

Players...............Whoa 8-2 another gr8 strike by Young and the same(ish) as his 1st. He has been our best player today. Anyway i was saying that Players always want more money at every club and that if the club refused there demands no one there is irreplaceable like a Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney e.t.c. There wage budget isn't anywhere near the limit of what they can afford.

If they play like this all season they won't even finish in the top half and for Arsenal and their fans it's unacceptable to even miss the top 4. Players like Sneijder and wages like 100 - 200k is becoming the norm for a top 4 side. It is perfectly possible for arsenal to pay that for 1 player.

Rooney is now on nearly 200k a week but that doesn't mean that suddenly all our players are going to start asking for the same or would be given it. At the same time like i mentioned wages are always going up and players always asking for better pay packets.

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 05:03 PM
We'll continue this debate some time in the future when you've realised that money doesn't grow on trees.

Sam The Man
28-08-2011, 05:07 PM
We'll continue this debate some time in the future when you've realised that money doesn't grow on trees.

Ayayay another stupid comment. Of course it doesn't but once again your going to extremes.

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm not. Arsenal can't afford to pay a player ?250k. There is literally no argument here. You saying "yes they can" does not make it true. They simply can't afford to.

If you want to come up with some great solution to save Arsenal, try doing it within their means.

vanpeebles
28-08-2011, 05:12 PM
I suggest renaming the emirates to spooky ring.

abigsmurf
28-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Is that the worst ever Premier League result from Arsenal?

Utterly embarassing. Will send a very strong message to the board that they need to spend and I imagine Wenger's position is teetering over a cliff edge now.

prinnysquad
28-08-2011, 05:14 PM
I thought you were a 'Posh' fan, TTK? You should be revelling in Darren's dad's glory.

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Is that the worst ever Premier League result from Arsenal?

That's the first time in their history that they've shipped eight goals in the top flight.

I thought you were a 'Posh' fan, TTK? You should be revelling in Darren's dad's glory.

Screw Alex Ferguson :lol:

Sam The Man
28-08-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm not. Arsenal can't afford to pay a player ?250k. There is literally no argument here. You saying "yes they can" does not make it true. They simply can't afford to.

If you want to come up with some great solution to save Arsenal, try doing it within their means.

Your saying they can't and that doesn't make it true either. They lost 200k a week at least in loosing Fabregas, Nasri & Denilson. You don't have a high enough I.Q to understand that they can pay that or near that to Sneijder and still operate perfectly fine and not go into debt or any more than they are which isn't much compared to alot of teams.

I have no great solution to save Arsenal or any team but i have a high enough I.Q to understand that Arsenal can afford a high wage for a world class player.

nakamura
28-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Extraodinary game. The only thing I can say positive for Arsenal is that despite conceding eight goals, the keeper is awesome and never put a foot wrong!

Sam The Man
28-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Yeah both Keepers have great futures ahead of them.

abigsmurf
28-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Utterly bizzarre atmosphere post match, even Fergie was a bit subdued.

First time in a while there's been a goal fest without endless plaudits to the winning side. Guess most people found it a bit painful watching such a big team seemingly fall so far in a short time.

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Your saying they can't and that doesn't make it true either. They lost 200k a week at least in loosing Fabregas, Nasri & Denilson. You don't have a high enough I.Q to understand that they can pay that or near that to Sneijder and still operate perfectly fine and not go into debt or any more than they are which isn't much compared to alot of teams.

I have no great solution to save Arsenal or any team but i have a high enough I.Q to understand that Arsenal can afford a high wage for a world class player.

Okay, we're pretty much done here. All you're doing is calling me stupid and insisting that Arsenal, a team I know a damn sight more about than you, can afford to pay one player ?250k. You have no concept of the finances at that club at all. You're just saying words and assuming they're true.

If you want to have a serious discussion about this, we can, but I'd suggest cutting out the pathetic abuse because you're giving me no reason at all to not just ignore you.

Sam The Man
28-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Okay, we're pretty much done here. All you're doing is calling me stupid and insisting that Arsenal, a team I know a damn sight more about than you, can afford to pay one player ?250k. You have no concept of the finances at that club at all. You're just saying words and assuming they're true.

If you want to have a serious discussion about this, we can, but I'd suggest cutting out the pathetic abuse because you're giving me no reason at all to not just ignore you.

Yeah done and dusted. You can't know a damn site more than me if you think they cant pay one player 250k a week and still operate without going into debt. I have been looking at their finances and there turnover last season and its clear to me that they can. I tried to have a serious discussion about this but you seemed to be more interested in making jokes and being dramatic than serious and clear minded. I apologize for actually saying out loud that you were being stupid when i should of kept that to myself and ignored it.

MonkeyJuggleDX
28-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Ask yourself, would YOU sign for Arsenal at the moment?

Over Bolton? Everyone would.

O rly?

Surely whingers time has to be up? I don't know how many clubs would accept the unravelling that's going on at the arse now.

Jebus
28-08-2011, 05:47 PM
If Arsene accepted that he doesn't control what another team wants to sell a player for, then they'd already have gotten players in.

Instead, 8-2. Wow.

Maybe he'll go back in for Jagielka or Cahill, with an offer the selling club might actually consider. If Wenger doesn't value Cahill at the 15-17 million that we do, after that result? Well...8-2.

nakamura
28-08-2011, 05:47 PM
For the first time I think Wenger has to go. Players like Djorou have been shocking for a few seasons and he still insists on playing them. He almost refuses to buy which is cutting off his arm to spite his face. He can't pull amazing kids out of the hat all of the time, sometimes you need to spend. Arshavin has been terrible for a long long time and offered nothing again today.
No steel in midfield, all small and technical players with no bite. The team is unbalanced.

Pity, the guy has done wonders but the image of him crazily scratching his head in the rain last week speaks volumes.

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Yeah done and dusted. You can't know a damn site more than me if you think they cant pay one player 250k a week and still operate without going into debt.

You're missing the point. Of course they can afford to pay him that, but that's a short term solution. He'd be on double what everyone else is on. Next season Van Persie's contract is up for renewal and he'll want more money. Then everyone will want more money. Either you double the wage bill for the sake of signing Sneijder, or you tell all those other players to leave. Then you can't replace them with alike quality because players coming in see Sneijder on ?250k and they want that too. ARSENAL CAN'T AFFORD THIS. IT IS NOT MAN CITY. It's just a fact. You're not looking at the big picture, you're not looking at how your actions have consequences. They can afford Sneijder, but they can't afford what it leads to and so he's absolutely not an option and never will be.

Don't bother trying to argue with me, because I'm right, and I'm not going to read it.

toythatkills
28-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Maybe he'll go back in for Jagielka or Cahill, with an offer the selling club might actually consider. If Wenger doesn't value Cahill at the 15-17 million that we do, after that result? Well...8-2.

I think he'll be on his knees throwing about ?50m at Bolton after that :lol:

Jebus
28-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I think he'll be on his knees throwing about ?50m at Bolton after that :lol:

At 7-2 I had an image in my head (worrying) of Coyle sitting by the phone, both laughing and masturbating whilst looking at the photo of Wenger in the rain with "I can haz Cahill, 6 millz?" scrawled on it childish writing.

He'll answer the phone like a Bond villain.

"Oh Mr Wenger, I've been expecting you. Gary Cahill? ?50 million plus Bendtner, and if you tickle my balls I'll even take Arshavin off your hands, for old times sake".

davek22
28-08-2011, 06:00 PM
To nick a joke from the BBC live commentary, I would 8-2 be an Arsenal fan tonight

Sam The Man
28-08-2011, 06:02 PM
You're missing the point. Of course they can afford to pay him that, but that's a short term solution. He'd be on double what everyone else is on. Next season Van Persie's contract is up for renewal and he'll want more money. Then everyone will want more money. Either you double the wage bill for the sake of signing Sneijder, or you tell all those other players to leave. Then you can't replace them with alike quality because players coming in see Sneijder on ?250k and they want that too. ARSENAL CAN'T AFFORD THIS. IT IS NOT MAN CITY. It's just a fact. You're not looking at the big picture, you're not looking at how your actions have consequences. They can afford Sneijder, but they can't afford what it leads to and so he's absolutely not an option and never will be.

Don't bother trying to argue with me, because I'm right, and I'm not going to read it.

Im not missing the point at all. I understand that other players in time would want higher wages but you can't win things and thus win prize money, higher paid sponsers e.t.c without top players and top players need to be paid high wages. So even if the clubs wage amount raised, if they had the right players they would be winning things or have a higher chance of it and would be bringing in more money to afford higher wages. From what iv been reading this is something even Wenger has brought up with the board. Im not saying they have to go to extremes and pay Man City rates!|

nakamura
28-08-2011, 06:03 PM
I do wonder though, despite my comment of Wenger, just how much he really has to spend. Are the board perhaps not giving him money to play with?

nakamura
28-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Im not missing the point at all. I understand that other players in time would want higher wages but you can't win things and thus win prize money, higher paid sponsers e.t.c without top players and top players need to be paid high wages. So even if the clubs wage amount raised, if they had the right players they would be winning things or have a higher chance of it and would be bringing in more money to afford higher wages. From what iv been reading this is something even Wenger has brought up with the board.

With Man Utd being in staggering amounts fo debt, Real Madrid being funded by the big Madrid banks and so on, it is no surprise the Arsenal do not want to offer so much money that will cripple them.