Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ways to access Japanese PlayStation Store Network (PSN)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways to access Japanese PlayStation Store Network (PSN)?

I recently got a PS3 and I might be getting ahead of myself here (I haven't even setup the network settings/accessed the Internet using PS3 yet), but I was wondering what are the best ways these days to access the Japanese PSN, pay for, and download the content?

There are guides/tutorials on the Internet but they are a few years old and may no longer apply. I also heard something recent about people being locked out of non-local stores and the possible fact that not all credit cards can be used or that one needs a Japanese residential address. In regards to that last bit, apparently some people have been using their local credit cards but with faked Japanese addresses successfully.

Basically, what things should I take into account as an Australian living in Australia trying to download from the Japanese PSN?

The main things I want to do is download Japanese games (e.g. Rockman 9 & 10) and perhaps certain DLC.

Note that the language barrier is not or should not be an issue (well, it sorta is) but let's assume it's not.
    Last edited by layzee; 18-08-2011, 08:37.

Originally posted by layzee View Post
    I recently got a PS3 and I might be getting ahead of myself here (I haven't even setup the network settings/accessed the Internet using PS3 yet), but I was wondering what are the best ways these days to access the Japanese PSN, pay for, and download the content?
    Therin lies the problem, and blocks the first step. Get this sorted out as it's the only way to access PSN.
    I'm also pretty sure sure the YouTube guides will still be valid. Just follow the guides, as you don't have to supply full addresses.

Also, don't use credit cards. Just buy PSN points off ebay. Simpler that way.

Comment

Yep, register on console + get a points card is the way to go. I got my last batch from www.japan-codes.com and was very pleased with the service.

One warning, and it may not be the case, but I know that on XBLA whether or not you get Rockman or Megaman is dependant on your hardware rather than the store you download it from. I'm not sure if PS3 does the same thing, but I don't believe it's the only Capcom 360 game that does this - I grabbed Megaman 9 from the UK store and yet if I play it on my JPN 360 it's Rockman, same thing with my UK Resident Evil 5 disc, which is magically transformed into Biohazard in my JPN console.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
        One warning, and it may not be the case, but I know that on XBLA whether or not you get Rockman or Megaman is dependant on your hardware rather than the store you download it from. I'm not sure if PS3 does the same thing, but I don't believe it's the only Capcom 360 game that does this - I grabbed Megaman 9 from the UK store and yet if I play it on my JPN 360 it's Rockman, same thing with my UK Resident Evil 5 disc, which is magically transformed into Biohazard in my JPN console.
        Hmm, this unpredictable feature might prove to be a liability.

I've got an Asian (not Japanese) Xbox 360 console and a Japanese (not Asian) version of Street Fighter IV.

When my console's language is set to English, the opening song in Street Fighter IV's animated introduction movie is sung in English and the rest of the game has English text.

When my console's language is set to Japanese, it will be the Japanese version vocal instead with Japanese in-game text.

I also have the Australian version PS3 and a Japanese (not Asian) version of BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger.

Whether the PS3 is set to display English or Japanese text, when I load up BlazBlue, it will always default to English text and voice acting. I don't have a Japanese PS3 but I assume if you load BlazBlue, it will default to Japanese text/VA, whether the console is set to English or Japanese.

I'm not a fan of this seemingly recent trend of products and services not only trying to predict your preferences, but actually making the choice for you.

Anyway, when I buy Rockman 9 and 10, I hope I'm buying Rockman, not Mega Man.

Furthermore, I have nowhere else to make this observation but here's something interesting (well, interesting to me) that relates to the above:

I have the following:

1) An Australian PS2 that has been modified to play all games from any region. System languages include English, German, and a few other European languages. Japanese is not selectable.
        2) A Japanese non-modified PS2. System languages include Japanese and English.
        3) An NTSC-JP region game: Final Fantasy VII -Dirge of Cerberus- International (released under the "Ultimate Hits" budget label).

If the language of my Japanese PS2 is set to Japanese, then FFVII's voice acting and text will be in Japanese.

If the language of my Japanese PS2 is set to English, then FFVII's VA and text will be in English.

If you load FFVII on an Australian (or American or British) PS2 that has been modified to play games from any region, then the game will be in full English. Japanese is not possible because Western PS2s don't contain the Japanese language.

Playing FFVII-DOC- International on a Western PS2 should be impossible however because one is not meant to modify their console.

I found this out because when I first loaded the game on my Japanese PS2, I was expecting a Japanese interface but instead was greeted with English. Obviously, there is no way people in Japan would be playing this in English so I figured that there had to be Japanese text in there.
        Last edited by layzee; 18-08-2011, 14:05.

Comment

Working...
        X