Soul Calibur 2 - impressions and comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soul Calibur 2 - impressions and comparisons

Finally sampled all 3 versions and so will try to compare them in as short a space as possible

Graphics - not sampled any through an hi-def tv so can't say about the 480p vs 720p modes ..... but through a basic tv all 3 are of more or less equal quality, ps2 has slightly sharper textures than the GC version, and Xbox has slightly better visuals than both. tbh though these differences are minor and not really worth commenting on (totally balls-ing up the above paragraph)

Sound - sounded good on all of them so not really an issue (need to check xbox version out through my amp though which may result in an edit )

Controls - i have been using Hori sticks on the GC and Xbox and an FT2 stick on the ps2 so each game controls very well ..... using the basic controllers i have had no problem with either S-pad or Dual-shock2 ,,, GC pad was a ballache to play with though (Stick is defi a must have accessory for the GC version).

Bonus Characters -

Heihachi played similar to his tekken persona .. looked even better than his tekken tag/4 model .. no weapons though and tbh he doesn't fit in well with the rest of the characters

Link is just silly being included ... Namco must have been desperate for this game to sell well on the GC... his projectile attack is poor, his character model looks very good but just doesn't fit in to the SC universe and i didn't like his move list (what i could get out anyways)

Spawn fits in really well ... his move list is good, he fights using an axe and he is damn quick for a big man , really love a combo he does where he attacks with the right hand then switched the axe to his left for a double strike. he also has a nice touch where he spins the axe around his wrist (if you gets me) when doing fast combo's. out of the the three hes the one who has slotted into the lineup perfectly, doesn't look out of place next to Necrid, Voldo or Nightmare ... i would even go so far as to say that a McFarlane based fighter using the SC2 game engine would be a very good idea

overall i have to say that SC2 is not the step up in class that SC1 was. some fans of SC1 will love this game, whilst others will hate it for the removal of certain characters

camps

You could argue that Link fits into ANY game world.

Whenever there is evil - A new Link will rise and become a hero. In this case it happened in SC2.

*runs off*

Comment

I tried out Cube SCII yesterday, and for me, Link was most definitely the highlight.

Comment

Originally posted by camps
        overall i have to say that SC2 is not the step up in class that SC1 was. some fans of SC1 will love this game, whilst others will hate it for the removal of certain characters
        I`d agree with this, but with each character being given a few new very cool moves, I love SC2 myself.

It is exactly the same game fighting engine wise, except like I said, each character has been given a few new moves. They have also gotten rid of a couple of the weaker (ineffectual) moves that most characters have. I am totally loving Mitsu`s new moves, and working them into my combo routines.

Any dedicated players of SC1 who`ve had their characters retained for SC2 (sorry Saurian) will love this game as well. I can safely say this.

Comment

So...

The question is, which is the ultimate version to go for?

Comment

I've got go for the GC version so anyone want lend a friend ?55 for the GC Stick off tok?

Comment

Originally posted by ThoseOfTheUnlight
              So...

The question is, which is the ultimate version to go for?
              I hate the idea of Link being included myself- just seeing him in the game totally ruins it for me (SC really has a special atmosphere for me and Link is just plain wrong in this).

Like Camps said, Spawn is heavy- I`d go for the XBOX version given the choice.

Comment

played the Xbox version some more (got it running in the background )

and Spawn is fooking awesome - just ripped Voldo a new asshole on extra hard mode

and this is using the S-pad as well

if i had to choose one in terms of bonus character it would be the Xbox

if i had to choose one in terms of basic controller it would be ps2/xbox (Xbox if using S-pad only) ... control isn't an issue at the mo though

camps

Comment

Yeah I'm leaning towards the Xbox version at the moment.

I take it one of those ps2-xbox adaptors will work on the PS2 Soul Cali stick on an Xbox version? Anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by camps
                    played the Xbox version some more (got it running in the background )

and Spawn is fooking awesome - just ripped Voldo a new asshole on extra hard mode

and this is using the S-pad as well

if i had to choose one in terms of bonus character it would be the Xbox

if i had to choose one in terms of basic controller it would be ps2/xbox (Xbox if using S-pad only) ... control isn't an issue at the mo though

camps
                    Yeah- Spawn really does have a nice fighting system doesn`t he? Lots of potential in his fighting engine for sick death.

Comment

At first I wasn’t too sure what I felt. It obviously didn’t have the same immense feel as playing Soul Calibur for the first time, but that was expected. The backgrounds have better texturing, bump mapping and generally look more detailed and vast but the character models look practically the same. The main noticeable difference (besides the character art/design) is that the women characters look like they have been to a surgeon and have been hanging around those from DOA3, that is very noticeable. (these comparisions are to the GC and DC version)

Although my thoughts to begin with were vague, after playing it through the late hours of Saturday and the early of Sunday, my impressions changed considerably. I love it and cannot wait until I receive mine through the post.

To me the battles seem more fast then in SC but other then that the actual battles are almost the same. The moves have been expanded upon but many of them stay the same. I didn’t really see to much of the PS2 version so it isn’t fair to make a comment concerning how they differ, but what is clear is that there isn’t too much to tell them apart.

I didn’t have a single problem with the Cube controller and actually prefer it to the DC Pad for Soul Calibur. As with Link, I say, yes, he is in it, he doesn’t look 100% in place, but hay, he looks well and plays well. I cannot complain and his appearance really doesn’t bother me in a slightest.

So, all in all, I loved it. At first wasn’t too sure on how good it was, but as soon as the new moves click into place, I was in heaven.
                      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

If Namco had included Ganondorf instead of link - Would people be saying he was out of place?

Comment

Originally posted by SharkAttack
                          If Namco had included Ganondorf instead of link - Would people be saying he was out of place?
                          Who?

Someone tell me Spawns cloak is unlockable extra....please...Link gets wands ffs, s'not fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Tokuda
                            Any dedicated players of SC1 who`ve had their characters retained for SC2 (sorry Saurian) will love this game as well. I can safely say this.
                            Even dedicated peeps who've had their characters removed (*cough* Hwang *cough* Yunsung and Xianghua are good enuff but don't have the IT factor that makes Hwang) can still find the love with this game.

My mourning of Hwang soon passed when I found Talim.

Glad to hear that the 'serious' fans' concerns about Link have proven to be founded. Seriously, how could he have fit in?

Comment

Poor old link. So it all comes down to him being a nancy boy. It makes me laugh though that this is the look people want for link in his next adventure - The so called "Realistic" pantomine look.

Nintendo should keep cel shaded link and create a new Dark Elf for more adult Zelda style adventures.

Comment

Working...
                              X