Best launch line-up ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best launch line-up ever

I've been reading a few old magazines recently and one was from the time that the N64 had just been released in Japan. The launch line-up looked so strong compared to some of the tripe accompanying recent console launch line-ups. I mean, Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Waverace et al were just sublime, and made the N64 THE console to have at the time.

Any others?

sonic on the dreamcast was an impressive (to look at) launch title. but can't really remember any of the other dc launch titles.

Comment

Sonic was only a launch title in the US and UK. In Japan the launch was Virtua Fighter 3tb, Pen Pen Tricelon, July, and one other that I can't remember.

Comment

The N64's wins for me too, but the Xbox's was decent. Halo, Gotham, Dead or Alive 3 and Jet Set Radio: Future are all well above average in my eyes.

Comment

Snes PAL release was pretty good - Super Marioworld, Super Tennis & F-Zero.

Comment

I remember the pal dreamcast launch being fantastic-
            Sonic Adventure
            Powerstone
            Trickstyle
            Ready to rumble (might be wrong about this one)

But i agree about the n64s line up- simply incredible.

Comment

Super Mario 64... still, the most genius, most original gaming experience EVER. Even if it was alone with the n64 at launch, it would justify a "fantastic luch lineup".
              And don't forget Blast Corps, one month later.

Comment

Original GameBoy - with tetris. Still playing it after nearly 14 years !

Comment

I'd have to go with the Xbox's. Project Gotham Racing, Halo, JSRF, Dead Or Alive 3 and Rallisport - all excellent games. And along with another 10 or 15 titles which weren't as good as the five stated, admittedly. But still a strong line-up. And beats the PS2's hands-down.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin
                    Sonic was only a launch title in the US and UK. In Japan the launch was Virtua Fighter 3tb, Pen Pen Tricelon, July, and one other that I can't remember.
                    That piss poor Godzilla game I think was the other one.

Comment

It really is a shame that the quality line-up the N64 had could not have been followed up by some more AAA games, Tetrisphere and that awful Star Wars game hardly count (Sorry, the name of it eludes me at this time).

Dreamcast was also very good, however the japanese line-up was pretty awful, with just VF3 being a must-have title, as Sonic Adventure 2 was released about 6 months after the consoles launch, and Pen Pen Tri-icelon was fun, but not ground-breaking.

It was the few months afterwards that really made the Dreamcast a classic, with titles like Sonic Adventure, Powerstone, and others. It also had it's share of turkey's too....*cough* Blue Stinger *cough*

Comment

Xbox for me. JSRF, Silent Hill 2, Genma Onimusha and DOA3 is a mighty fine quartet that surpassed my expectations.

Comment

LOL

em......
                          N64 I suppose.
                          It really did have some solid stuffl Too bad it was relied on for so long to carry the system.

Comment

My old memories always seem better so I will put the older machines first.

1.SuperFamicom: SuperMarioWorld/Fzero/Pilotwings.

2.N64: Mario64/WaveRace/Pilotwings64

3.Xbox: Halo/JSRF/DOA3 etc...

The PS2 and Dreamcast had unexceptional launches but at least the DC had more excitement for the hardcore, what with VF3 and the prospect of SA a month later.

Nintendo did mess-up a bit with the GC launch though, it proves even they are only human.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Falcon
                              Nintendo did mess-up a bit with the GC launch though, it proves even they are only human.

I didn't think the GC launch was that bad. It might have only been 3 games, but they were all pretty decent. I still play Monkey Ball today, Luigi's mansion was short, but still great and Wave Race wasn't exactly awful.

Not the best line up, but good enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X