PDA

View Full Version : Foreign football 2012-13

EJG1980
19-08-2012, 07:20 PM
New La Liga season started today. Real Madrid vs Valencia finished 1-1 and wasn't an amazing match, but Barca vs Sociedad has had four goals in the first 15 mins :) 3-1 to Barca, Messi on fire as usual. Will be good to see the Barca response to losing their title to Real Madrid last season.

tokyochojin
20-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Didn't see any of LA liga this weekend but I laughed at money bags PSG scraping another draw.

On The Edge of Insanity
20-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Athletic 3-5 Real Betis was a cracking, crazy match. Betis were 3-0 up at half-time, Athletic pulled it back to 3-3, only to then run out of steam and concede twice in the last ten minutes.

EJG1980
26-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Low key start to Serie A this weekend (in the televised matches at least) although good to see Sampdoria upset Milan. Gonna be a struggle for Milan this season, trying to balance the books has really cut into the quality of their team.

Okay Madrid derby between Getafe and Real, which has just kicked up a notch with Getafe taking a 2-1 lead! Should be a good final 15 minutes.

Getafe held on, iffy start to the season for Real Madrid! Another draw for moneybags PSG too, shame :)

EJG1980
29-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Real Madrid are ripping Barca to pieces so far in the Super Cup second leg. 2-0 already and could have been 4-0 easily!

Barca down to ten men now too. Looooong way back from this.

Fantastic free kick from Messi right before half time, second half should be good.

EJG1980
01-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Bologna vs Milan has been an excellent match so far. Diamanti is a great player to watch when he's on song. 1-1.

EJG1980
02-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Inter vs Roma was good tonight. 3-1 to Roma, second and third goals were brilliant, great display from Totti too with a couple of assists and some beautiful flicks and passes. Roma are lovely to watch again with Zeman back as manager, they kept on attacking for the whole ninety minutes. Time for the end of the Barca match!

EJG1980
07-10-2012, 06:54 PM
There seems to be a Real vs Barca match every other week recently, so I'm going with the Milan derby tonight. 1-0 to Inter already, should be 2, Milan look all over the place.

Baseley09
07-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Milan suck ass at the minute, I don't know how they thought they were going to get away with offloading three of their best players.

vanpeebles
08-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Milan derby was an ok watch last night. I don't like Spanish football but the Italian footy has some spiteful tackling at times :D

EJG1980
08-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Milan suck ass at the minute, I don't know how they thought they were going to get away with offloading three of their best players.
Too many years of overspending and not looking after the finances (and Berlusconi's media empire is in trouble so he's not pumping in the cash anymore). Now, with FFP looming, they're trying to get themselves into a decent financial position but they're having to sell the family silver to do it. If they'd been sensible they would have started years ago and got the finances under control gradually.

Milan derby was an ok watch last night. I don't like Spanish football but the Italian footy has some spiteful tackling at times :D
Aye, decent match but not a classic, both sides are going through a phase of rebuilding so it's not quite the superpower contest it used to be. Milan should have got a draw after Inter went down to ten men, such wasteful finishing!

On The Edge of Insanity
08-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Inter have looked ok this season, better since the switch to three at the back, but are hardly setting the world alight. Juventus and Napoli look a class above the rest of Serie A at the moment. Milan have been pretty dreadful and it wouldn't be at all surprising to see them finish outside the top six.

EJG1980
08-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Which is quite ironic as it was Inter's inability to adopt to Gasperini's back three that led to their poor form and him getting the sack last season.

I'd love to see Napoli win the league but I think over the long haul of the season Juve should do it. I see them as more likely to pick up points in matches where they're playing poorly and need to grind out a win. Napoli have a good shot though.

EJG1980
20-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Milan getting absolutely pumped by Lazio, great atmoshere in Rome. 3-0 after 50 minutes and Milan could be in real trouble this season, they were only two points above the drop zone before this match.

I jinxed Lazio :lol: 3-2 now with 10 mins left. Really good match.

EJG1980
21-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Another great match tonight, even better than last night (unless you're a fan of solid defending). Genoa 2-3 Roma after an hour, Roma coming back from 2-0 behind. Their attacking play is a joy to watch at times, since Zeman has returned as manager.

On another note, I love Stadio Marassi, probably my favourite stadium in world football.

Finished 2-4 (as I'm sure the many readers of this thread will want to know ;) )

EJG1980
03-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Inter have ended Juventus' unbeaten run in Serie A at 49 matches, and given them their first defeat in their new stadium too. Really great match, 3-1 to Inter, and now Inter are only a point behind in the title race.

EJG1980
08-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Brilliant match tonight, Roma 4-2 Fiorentina. This Roma side are just pure fun to watch; their 16 matches this season have produced 64 goals, an average of 4 goals a match when they're involved! A real vintage performance from Francesco Totti tonight too, a couple of goals, amazing passes, beautiful touches and flicks, he's definitely my favourite player to watch.

Inter vs Napoli tomorrow night, hopefully it'll be another cracker.

saturn-gamer
09-12-2012, 08:46 PM
...and Messi broke the record set by Gerd Muller. A whopping 86 goals over the year 2012. He's even all time top scorer for the club... and he's only 25? Ridiculous. I wonder where it will end.

EJG1980
22-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Another goal today puts him on a mere 91, I reckon he's slowing down ;)

Another brilliant display from Roma so far tonight, 3-0 up against Milan after 35 minutes. When they're on song their non-stop attacking is a joy. It's a shame there aren't a few more coaches in the Zeman mould.

Finished 4-2 to Roma, cracking match.

nakamura
23-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Pato and Robinho have handed in transfer requests.

vanpeebles
23-12-2012, 10:45 AM
The Roma game was awesome watched it last night. I loved the loud explosions at random during the match too.

EJG1980
16-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Pep Guardiola will take over as Bayern Munich manager at the end of the season (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21048679).

It'll be interesting to see how well he does outside of Barcelona, if he'll try to get Bayern playing like Barca or if he adapts his approach.

I know Bayern aren't exactly paupers, but I'm glad he didn't end up somewhere like Chelsea, Man City or PSG.

Nu-Eclipse
16-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Pep Guardiola will take over as Bayern Munich manager at the end of the season (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21048679).

I'm glad he didn't end up somewhere like Chelsea, Man City or PSG.

Agreed.

All I'll say on the matter is that Bayern have historically averaged a Bundesliga title once every two seasons. Will he be deemed a failure at Bayern if he doesn't land them a Champions' League?

Nu-Eclipse
16-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Oh dear...just realized that Pep's brother is Luis Suarez's agent.

Not good.

:(

EJG1980
16-01-2013, 03:42 PM
All I'll say on the matter is that Bayern have historically averaged a Bundesliga title once every two seasons. Will he be deemed a failure at Bayern if he doesn't land them a Champions' League?
I think he probably would be. They've got to two finals in the past three seasons so I'm sure they'll be expecting Guardiola to make the difference and turn the runners up spots into wins.

Nu-Eclipse
16-01-2013, 03:59 PM
I think he probably would be. They've got to two finals in the past three seasons so I'm sure they'll be expecting Guardiola to make the difference and turn the runners up spots into wins.

Not won the Champions' League since 2001 (Hargreaves, Effenberg, etc.), which is remarkable for one of European Club Football's true powerhouses.

EJG1980
16-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Bayern are like Juve, it's surprising that they haven't won more European Cups. Since their great team of the 70's that won three on the trot I think they've been in six finals and lost five of them. Juve as well, since the 70's, seven finals and five losses.

Although at least Juve don't constantly lose to late goals and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory like Bayern seem to do! That final against Chelsea last season......... :censor:

Nu-Eclipse
19-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Barcelona's unbeaten La Liga run is ended with a 3-2 defeat at Real Sociedad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21102157

2-0 up at half-time with goals from Pedro & you-know-who, before succumbing to a spirited Real Sociedad comeback aided perhaps by a Piqu? red card.

Title race back on? :D

EJG1980
19-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Oh yeah, definitely, the cracks are starting to show ;)

Watching Juve vs Udinese, Paul Pogba with an absolutely stunning long range goal in the first half. Juve should be miles ahead, could end up throwing away the three points like they did agains Parma last week if di Natale pops up with a sucker punch.

Edit: and just as I write that, Pogba pops up with another excellent long range strike.

Roma vs Inter tomorrow, my favourite match of the Serie A calendar. With a bit of luck I should get back from Spurs vs Man Utd just in time for kick-off (hopefully in a good mood :) ).

nakamura
19-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Pogba has looked pretty good for Juve.

EJG1980
03-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Well it had to happen, didn't it? Milan vs Udinese, 24 minutes, 1-0 Milan, Balotelli scores.

And he makes it 2-1 to Milan from the penalty spot with the last kick of the match (although it was an absolutely terrible decision to give the penalty in the first place).

EJG1980
10-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Inter vs Chievo has been a surprisingly good match so far. Dodgy defending from both sides is helping :)

saturn-gamer
16-02-2013, 08:00 PM
So, Messi just netted his 37th goal of the current season.. what the hell man.

There were those days where the old Ronaldo, and Forlan netted about 30 in La Liga and that was utterly amazing. But this kid is going to score 60.

EJG1980
17-02-2013, 08:19 PM
It's quite phenomenal. Yes, he's part of the best team in the world, which helps, but none of the other players in that team put the ball in the back of the net as often as he does.

In other goalscoring news, it was good to see Francesco Totti scoring a superb winner against Juve last night. He's now only two goals away from being the second highest Serie A goal scorer of all time. Probably too late in his career for him to get to number one now though, still 50 behind Silvio Piola.

Fiorentina are absolutely spanking Inter tonight. 4-0 with twenty mins left, some lovely goals and Fiorentina's passing is really easy on the eye.

EJG1980
24-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Milan derby tonight. Should be a Milan win given the form of both teams (and Inter missing Milito) but you never know in a derby.

vanpeebles
24-02-2013, 06:28 PM
All set to watch!

EJG1980
24-02-2013, 07:16 PM
This Inter team isn't quite up to the level of the team that Spurs faced in the CL a couple of seasons ago ;) Lucky they have Handanovic in goal, a couple of great saves there, especially from the Balotelli header.

vanpeebles
24-02-2013, 07:36 PM
This Inter team isn't quite up to the level of the team that Spurs faced in the CL a couple of seasons ago ;) Lucky they have Handanovic in goal, a couple of great saves there, especially from the Balotelli header.

Not really got going yet :( No mega bangers either.

EJG1980
24-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Bangs and plenty of smoke now! Should have been 1-1 just then, great save by Abbaiti. Inter have looked much better at the start of this half.

Now it is 1-1! Think Inter deserved the equaliser. Could go either way now.

Honours even. Petered out a bit at the end. Okay match but not a classic derby.

Baseley09
24-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Did i tune in to psg vs marseilles just to see Beckham play?

Of course i did.

Kieran76
25-02-2013, 02:25 AM
Same here, saw the last 30 mins so I got to see David's cameo role.

EJG1980
16-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Bologna vs Juventus has started off brilliantly. Well worth a watch (so far at least) if you're looking for something to do :)

EJG1980
21-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Anyone watching Brazil vs Italy? It's defying the laws of the universe by actually being an entertaining friendly! 2-2 at the moment, end to end stuff, and a crazy goal from Mario Balotelli.

nakamura
21-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Shunsuke Nakamura, still so good he just shoots from corners
GihAaBOpOB8

EJG1980
30-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Torino vs Napoli has been superb. 3-3 at the moment with ten minutes left, wouldn't be against someone getting a winner. There have been some excellent matches in Serie A this season.

Just the two more goals, 5-3 to Napoli. One of the best matches I've seen this season in any league.

nakamura
30-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Incredible finale! Just been watching it. Great free kick from Cavani.

EJG1980
30-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Would love to see him up front at Spurs, but waaaaaaay out of our price range unfortunately. I remember before he went to Napoli the Palermo president claimed that we were close to signing him from them... if only! Lots of rumours that he'll be playing for Real Madrid next season.

saturn-gamer
30-03-2013, 09:34 PM
He looks like a typical Serie A striker much like Shevchenko was. I think Real Madrid is better off signing Falcao if such a move is possible.

There is also a great striker walking around in Holland, his name is Wilfried Bony. I think he can be a valuable asset to a PL team. Very strong, technical and deadly finisher. I think he'll make it abroad.

EJG1980
08-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Rome derby starts on ESPN in a few minutes, excellent, didn't realise that was on tonight.

saturn-gamer
08-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Damn. The Rome derby or the Manchester derby? I was geared to watch the latter.

EJG1980
08-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Damn. The Rome derby or the Manchester derby? I was geared to watch the latter.
As I see English teams play every week against Spurs, I nearly always choose a foreign match when watching as a neutral.

If I was neutral for both, I'd go for the Rome derby tonight, the massive points gap between the Manchester clubs takes a bit of the edge off that match imho.

saturn-gamer
08-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Thats what I figured, United has the title in the bag.

Roma is earlier on anyway. What a goal, tho I doubt Stekelenburg's role in this.

Hernanes almost for his second, good player.

EJG1980
08-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Lovely strike. He was the player I was looking forward to seeing the most when Spurs played Lazio in the Europa League.

EJG1980
08-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Sublime to the ridiculous! What a miss from the penalty spot by Hernanes!

And now he's given Roma a penalty by fouling Pjanic! Great penalty from Totti, showing Hernanes how it's done.

vanpeebles
08-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Red card! *waves imaginary card at HumanEnergy*

EJG1980
08-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Bugger, so now I'm banned from watching Serie A for a match? :(

Good match, Roma should have won with that man advantage though, especially with that header Lamela put over.

saturn-gamer
08-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Lazio really dominated Roma for most of the first half, but the missing penalty made them snap. A draw was the deserved result in the end.

saturn-gamer
13-04-2013, 10:58 PM
I love derbies.

The Sevilla derby from yesterday was perhaps the best match I've seen this season. Hilarious bad ref, but it was for the good because if he did his job Betis would've been with 10 men after 15 secs.

EJG1980
14-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Bah, didn't realise it was on. I loved the Sevilla team from a few years ago when they were challenging for the title, it was a real shame they didn't manage to win it in 2007 when they came so close. I went to Seville a couple of years ago (lovely city) and saw Sevilla vs Sporting Gijon, which was fun, but not a patch on their glory days.

Milan vs Napoli tonight, should be an immense match.

saturn-gamer
14-04-2013, 06:34 PM
They had a deadly squad when they won back to back UEFA Cup titles. With key players such as Luis Fabiano, Dani Alves, Adriano (the Barca midfielder) and Jesus Navas. Christian Poulsen was a regular there too, hes with Ajax now.

EJG1980
14-04-2013, 07:23 PM
They had a deadly squad when they won back to back UEFA Cup titles. With key players such as Luis Fabiano, Dani Alves, Adriano (the Barca midfielder) and Jesus Navas. Christian Poulsen was a regular there too, hes with Ajax now.
Freddie Kanoute was my favourite there thanks to him being an ex-Spur. Always thought we let him go too soon. Enzo Marseca was another player I enjoyed watching, Kerzhakov from the bench, quality all through the squad.

EJG1980
20-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Di Natale seems to get better and better as he gets older, cracking finish for Udinese against Lazio.

saturn-gamer
20-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Wonderful game happening in Mestalla.

Valencia - Malaga was 0-0 until the 25th minute or so, but it was 4-0 at the 31th minute with Parejo scoring, Soldado netting twice, first after a beastly run by Cissokho and a penalty right after it, and after that kick off Canales rebounded one into the net :)

Baptista scored 4-1 in first half injury time.

EJG1980
21-04-2013, 06:44 PM
I keep missing the best Spanish matches! Juve vs Milan tonight, fingers crossed it lives up to the expectations, it could be a cracker.

Could have been a cracker, but wasn't. Never got properly going. Juve move a step closer to the title though.

saturn-gamer
22-04-2013, 08:02 AM
It was incredibly bad. Milan has no game plan, no nothing. Pazzini shouldn't be playing at that position, he should be facing the goal instead. Robinho is a ridiculously bad football player, no passion, no work rate... nothing. Probably one of the most over rated players ever. El Sharaawy was improving a lot, but since Balotelli he's kind of stalling. And Balotelli just isn't there during the most important matches of this season.

Juventus is in trouble once Pirlo gets marked. They really need a striker, I wonder if Llorente is enough.

Conte is right, Serie A is in trouble.

nakamura
22-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Robinho really is a terrible player.

EJG1980
22-04-2013, 08:29 AM
During the match last night, my brother commented that as bad as Adebayor has been, he'd still rather have him in the Spurs squad than Robinho. A damning indictment!

EJG1980
05-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Cavani gets his 99th goal for Napoli after 2 mins vs Inter. With Inter's form and injuries, this could be a mauling. Hopefully Cavani can get to 100 tonight.

I couldn't quite believe my ears at the start of the match as the commentator said that Sunderland had made an enquiry about signing Cavani! Apparently his agent has politely turned them down :)

vanpeebles
05-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Shy bairns get nowt :p

vanpeebles
05-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Penner for Napoli! *lets off italian football sized banger under HumanEnergy's chair*

EJG1980
05-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Shy bairns get nowt :p
True! Must be strange for the agent though, being on the phone with the likes of Real Madrid, Juve, Man Utd, then getting a call from Sunderland :) Who knows, maybe Ellis Short fancies being the new Abramovich!

Penner for Napoli! *lets off italian football sized banger under HumanEnergy's chair*
Ohh, that felt all funny :blush:

100 goals for Cavani!

prinnysquad
05-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Cavani would be a proper cult hero for us, whereas he'd be Bobby Bench Warmer for ****ty' You Knighted, Ree-Al (Superman villain), and all the other turds.

He should come to the SoL. Nailed on.

EJG1980
05-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Sunderland signing Cavani would be one of the greatest things ever to happen in football, especially in this day and age when the top players only want to go to clubs that will pay them ****loads of cash and guarantee them trophies.

Hat-trick for Cavani. He wants to sign off in style before becoming a Mackem!

prinnysquad
05-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Cavani will become a mercenary kernt like all the other merc kernts we all hate.

We need new heroes. Who wants cash, tarts and metal piss-collectors when you can become part of the sporting soul of a region forever?

These 250k a week musashi ****horses need to take a long, hard look at themselves. Status before glory.

EJG1980
05-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Yup. It's why Bale should stay at Spurs. Man Utd, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, etc., will carry on winning titles whether he signs for them or not, but imagine being the main man who helps build up Spurs so they can win their first title since 1961!! No romance in the game today.

prinnysquad
05-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Precisely. If he went to those cretinous bollocks teams, he'd be a face in the crowd. A Mr Potato Head-Shaped face, but a face nevertheless. A cog in a machine. A cock in an orgy.

But at Spuz he's JOHN HOLMES. He's the main cock. He'll be a legend for years to cum.

EJG1980
05-05-2013, 11:05 PM
But at Spuz he's JOHN HOLMES. He's the main cock. He'll be a legend for years to cum.
Now that is romance :thumb:

vanpeebles
12-05-2013, 07:56 PM
All kinds going on during the Milan Roma game!

saturn-gamer
12-05-2013, 09:06 PM
So Falcao to AS Monaco is not a joke? Where is the honor in todays players? They're all mercs.

Nu-Eclipse
15-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Three European trophy wins in 9 years. Rafa's record speaks for itself.

Astonishingly, people on this forum have tried to compare him to Sam Allardyce!

nakamura
15-05-2013, 08:56 PM
He has done a fantastic job there.

MisterBubbles
15-05-2013, 08:58 PM
So the 2nd best team win the cup again, just how do they do it?

Kieran76
15-05-2013, 10:05 PM
So the 2nd best team win the cup again, just how do they do it?

Play better in the second half?

MisterBubbles
15-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Play better in the second half?

Yes they played better and where still sh!te, just like last year against bayern, they could stand in dog sh!te and find a fiver in it i bet such is their luck.

Kieran76
15-05-2013, 10:38 PM
You can only beat what is in front of you. Moaning that they beat teams who couldn't take there chances when they had them seems a little daft to me.

EJG1980
17-05-2013, 08:11 PM
So Falcao to AS Monaco is not a joke? Where is the honor in todays players? They're all mercs.
He's showing his skills in the Spanish cup final tonight. Not a great game but the Atletico Madrid equaliser was class, brilliant control and skill from Falcao and then a superb pass to Diego Costa.

I'd personally approve his move to Monaco as it means Chelsea wouldn't get him :D

Nu-Eclipse
17-05-2013, 09:12 PM
I'd personally approve his move to Monaco as it means Chelsea wouldn't get him :D

This.

EJG1980
19-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Fiorentina might be able to do what Spurs couldn't; as it stands they're going to overhaul Milan on the final day of the season to snatch the final Champions League spot. Fiorentina are 3-0 up against Pescara so it's all down to Milan now, who are 1-0 down away at Siena. I hope Fiorentina do it, Montella has got them playing some lovely football.

Balls. Two late goals for Milan to sneak it.

EJG1980
24-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Looks like Rafa Benitez will be the next Napoli manager:

http://www.football-italia.net/34548/napoli-confirm-benitez-next-coach

Hopefully he'll do well, if they can keep Cavani for next season (I really hope he stays) and make a decent signing or two then I think they've got a decent chance of winning Serie A (with Juve still being clear favourites, of course). Maybe with his cup winning pedigree Napoli could be a good long shot bet for the Champions League next season. Benitez should be pretty motivated to make up for his less than happy time at Inter.

On The Edge of Insanity
25-05-2013, 11:42 AM
It's an interesting appointment considering Napoli have played a particular style of football (three centre backs, attacking wing backs, counter attack based) for going on eight years now, with Edy Reja then Walter Mazzarri. Benitez could easily slip up by trying to change too much too soon. Still, they have a good squad and with a couple of additions should be able to maintain a top three place next year, especially with Milan, Inter & most probably Roma all changing coaches also.

Nu-Eclipse
25-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Benitez should be pretty motivated to make up for his less than happy time at Inter.

Agreed.

Though as much as he was ultimately unsuccessful at Inter, there were plenty of mitigating factors (Moratti refusing to provide funds for new players, an ageing squad demotivated after winning everything under Mourinho and decimated by injuries, etc.).

EJG1980
25-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Yeah, Mourhino got the absolute maximum out of that squad in the treble winning season and I don't think any manager would have been able to keep them at that level. The other factors you mentioned did hinder Benitez, although Inter still shouldn't have been as far off the pace in the league as they were.

Definitely not the "It's all Benitez's fault!!!!" disaster it's often made out to be, but I think he'd admit that he should have done better. I expect he'd have turned it around given a bit more time though, Moratti said a little while ago that with hindsight it was a mistake to sack Benitez so soon.

Nu-Eclipse
25-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Yeah, Mourhino got the absolute maximum out of that squad in the treble winning season and I don't think any manager would have been able to keep them at that level. The other factors you mentioned did hinder Benitez, although Inter still shouldn't have been as far off the pace in the league as they were.

Definitely not the "It's all Benitez's fault!!!!" disaster it's often made out to be, but I think he'd admit that he should have done better. I expect he'd have turned it around given a bit more time though, Moratti said a little while ago that with hindsight it was a mistake to sack Benitez so soon.

Oh, I don't doubt that Rafa would (at least privately) own up to his shortcomings as Inter boss. For what it's worth, I was highly sceptical about him taking the role - it was always going to be a no-win situation for him in every sense.

It's just hard to account for your chairman blatantly going back on his promise to invest in a squad revamp the way that Moratti did - Benitez was screwed once injuries started plaguing the Inter squad (which was always likely with an average age between 28 and 31), forcing him to rely on youth-teamers.

EJG1980
25-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Italian football club owners, some of the biggest loons going :)

I'm also looking forward to see if Walter Mazzarri can turn around Inter's fortunes next season. Finishing below Catania must have been hard to take! It's gonna be a lot of work but I think Mazzarri is a really good manager so he has a decent chance of being successful.