PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool thread 2012

charlesr
14-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Old thread: http://www.bordersdown.net/showthread.php/61852-Liverpool-2010-11-Season-Thread

Kit
01-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Just done reading the paper and Rodgers has been talking about making it into the top four again. Getting the feeling Liverpool are turning into the Newcastle of yesteryear.

Kit
06-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Anyone see the Suarez goal against Mansfield? sure they'll be a lot of headlines tomorrow with him kissing his hand after the goal went in - very cheeky.

Nice to see Sturridge have an immediate impact on his debut. Great finish! :)

Nu-Eclipse
06-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Anyone see the Suarez goal against Mansfield? sure they'll be a lot of headlines tomorrow with him kissing his hand after the goal went in - very cheeky.

Pretty much how he has celebrated ALL of his goals this season. His daughter's name is tattooed on his wrist. (http://p.twimg.com/A19QbhECcAEltXv.jpg:large)

The moral high-ground preaching from certain people in the media and fans outside of the club has been sickening. Clearly, the next week will be full of bull**** press about how Suarez alone has destroyed the magic of the FA Cup.

Adrock
06-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Yep, same old crap about Suarez again. To me he looked like he didn't celebrate as much as he usually does because he knew it was a handball and thought he would have been seen. Strange one, I think.

EJG1980
06-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Any other player in his position would have done exactly the same thing, take the goal if the referee doesn't notice the handball. I don't think it was deliberate anyway, it wasn't exactly a Maradona style hand of God. The papers and Sky Sports News will probably milk it for a good few days though.

Adrock
06-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Wow, some sense being posted from a non Liverpool fan. Cheers :D

Nu-Eclipse
06-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Wow, some sense being posted from a non Liverpool fan

Makes a change.

nakamura
06-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I haven't seen it but he always celebrates kissing his wrist.

tokyochojin
07-01-2013, 02:52 AM
Agree with everyone here, if it wasn't Suarez there wouldn't even be a conversation - any player in his position would have done exactly the same.

nakamura
07-01-2013, 08:40 AM
It is cheating and he is a cheat. However they FA and all of the governing bodies need to take retrospective action to stamp these things out.

sj33
07-01-2013, 08:51 AM
I broadly agree that Suarez was just doing his job, assuming it really was accidental and he proceeded to take the shot anyway. It's the referee's job to spot things like that. It the handball was intentional then it's a different matter. I've not actually seen the incident as I was listening to the game on the radio, but we've criticised other players for intentional usage of a hand in the goalmouth (Henry?).

I think what gives this situation another dimension is that it was against a Conference team who feel they've been cheated out of the money they'd have earned from a replay. That's all speculation of course, there's no guarantee that Mansfield would still have gone on to score an equaliser. But I suspect people would feel less sympathy towards the other team if it was a team like Manchester United or Chelsea.

nakamura
07-01-2013, 08:59 AM
I defended Suarez after the world cup incident but he continually proves my defense was wrong. I do feel he has been better in recent times but somet hng like this will go against him.

Nu-Eclipse
07-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Am I honestly missing something? The ball ricocheted back at him so quickly that I'm honestly hard pressed to see how the handball could've been anything other than unintentional. It's clearly ball-to-hand. (http://ballsdot.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/suarezhandball.gif)

Also honestly wondering if there would be such nauseating hypocrisy and double standards going around had a Mansfield Town player scored the winner to knock Liverpool out of the Cup in such fashion?

nakamura
07-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Would you defend it so much if it was Rooney?

It's not clearly ball to hand at all. It's not clearly anything but it looks bad to me. His reputation is going against him and he only has himself to blame.

Nu-Eclipse
07-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Just so I've got your logic straight: You're either condemning it because it is Suarez or you WOULD defend it if was Rooney? The double standards being applied are too funny.

Suarez has got to be quite some player if he can deliberately handball a football coming at him with intent to control it from close range and at considerable pace via ricochet.

Sorry - I don't see how it's intentional.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/65102000/jpg/_65102376_65102375.jpg

nakamura
07-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Did I say I would defend it if it was Rooney?

Like I said I defended Suarez in the world cup, even to a very angry Ghanain friend. I like to generally give players a chance but Suarez has been one of the worst in the game.

Nu-Eclipse
07-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Like I said I defended Suarez in the world cup, even to a very angry Ghanain friend.

LOL.

I'm assuming that your "Ghanaian friend" was angry that his players are so inept at penalty-taking, or is that Suarez's fault too?

He was punished for that World Cup handball with a red card and a suspension that ultimately cost Uruguay in the semi-final. Ghana were given a penalty that would've won them the game. If Gyan wasn't such a crap striker, Ghana would've played a world cup semi-final and the handball wouldn't be an issue.

Suarez has been one of the worst in the game.

Obvious nonsense.

nakamura
07-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Which is exactly what I said.

prinnysquad
07-01-2013, 10:52 PM
If Gyan wasn't such a crap striker

Bravo! I don't really have a good word to say about the man.

Nu-Eclipse
08-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Bravo! I don't really have a good word to say about the man.

Just so sick and tired of people STILL using the Ghana handball as a stick to beat Suarez with when he was deservedly punished for it. It's incredibly surprising just how effective a smokescreen Gyan & Ghana's rubbish penalty-taking is in all of that.

We're at a point where people like Ashley Young and Gareth Bale dive every week (Bale has most yellow cards for it this season) and yet Suarez "has been one of the worst in the game"? Do me a favour.

nakamura
08-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Prinny was talking about Gyan.

Nu-Eclipse
08-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Prinny was talking about Gyan.

Really!? No ****, Sherlock! Gee, thanks for pointing that out.

nakamura
08-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Well it's never quite clear what you are rambling on about! :p

Just to add it galls me that Bale is such a diving little ****e too. I will say I am really enjoying watching Suarez play every week now. I just wish he would show a little more class from time to time. When he was blatantly fouled and stayed on his feet the other week I applauded him for it. Perhaps I should pop more positives in here.

Nu-Eclipse
08-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Yeah, 'cos you're someone who makes sense all of the time?

Not quite sure what my response to Prinnysquad's comment has to do with you in the first place.

nakamura
08-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Public forum and someone really needs to get laid.

Nu-Eclipse
08-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Public forum and someone really needs to get laid.

Who's rambling now?

I do quite fine in that area...again, not that it's any of your business (or relevant).

Guessing that you probably don't though, judging by your seemingly constant comment stalking of me.

nakamura
08-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Yes, because I haven't posted in response to you for about ohhhh, 4 or 5 months? Certainly not in the football threads.

Nu-Eclipse
08-01-2013, 06:01 PM
And yet you're the one in here spouting utter crap about a response I made to a comment from somebody who wasn't you.

Don't like it? F?ck off.

nakamura
08-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Wires cross. It wasn't clear that you understood what Prinny was saying. If you look at the context of the part you quoted and then your response and consider that few people have something good to say about Suarez, it didn't look that clear.

Looking again it shows the sometime reading a forum from a smart phone at work is not always a good idea.

Nu-Eclipse
08-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Yup. Definitely your wires crossed.

Prinnysquad is a Sunderland fan, who Gyan played for. I quoted his whole reply, word for word and responded. That would be clear enough for most. Context enough for you?

With respect, please don't try to make presumptions about what I understand or don't understand when it comes to my responses to the comments made by other people on here.

nakamura
08-01-2013, 06:37 PM
With respect? After you told me to eff off?

I just wish you wouldn't get so defensive over things. Also calling things obvious nonsense when pretty much the entire footballing society agrees, even most Liverpool fans I know makes you look ignorant.

Nu-Eclipse
08-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Sorry - you've got no leg to stand on whatsoever about respect when you make a snide and crass jibe about somebody's sex life.

So I've got this right: You're speaking for the entire footballing society and most Liverpool fans? you know the thoughts/opinions of the entire footballing society and most Liverpool fans to proclaim that one person is amongst "the worst in the game" for cheating? In an era when there have been drug cheats and rampant match fixers? When several players in said league have been FAR more blatant in their cheating (and that's only taking this season so far into account)? LOL.

Sorry, you're the one who looks ignorant when you come out with such hyperbole. It is obvious nonsense.

nakamura
08-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Drug cheats and rampant match fixing is far worse, I will give you that. Not the angle I was going with really, more on the pitch antics.

Adrock
08-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Oh jesus, come on chaps. No need to argue. Nice football debate is all we need in here and remember Suarez is the best :D

Nu-Eclipse
08-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Not the angle I was going with really, more on the pitch antics.

Drug-cheating and rampant match-fixing have affected on the pitch antics - look back over the last 20-25 years (or even less). In any case, there have still been many worse players than Suarez for "on the field" cheating.

Oh jesus, come on chaps. No need to argue. Nice football debate is all we need in here and remember Suarez is the best :D

Not according to nakamura - the entire footballing society personally told him so, don't cha know? :rolleyes:

Point taken about everything else, Adrock.

Word on the street is that Coates will be sent on loan for the second half of the season. Anybody else hear anything about this? I have a real feeling that his days at Liverpool seem numbered (hope I'm wrong) - always looks pretty decent to me when I've seen him play, although he wasn't at his best against Mansfield which is to be expected when Rodgers isn't playing him at all. He really ought to be first choice back-up behind Agger & Skrtel, imo.

nakamura
08-01-2013, 09:17 PM
I never said anything about the ability of Suarez. On pitch he is without doubt something of a marvel.

Nu-Eclipse
19-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Entire footballing society.

Does any other Liverpool fan on here think that a move for Wesley Sneijder could seriously happen? I personally doubt it and think that other team areas need to be addressed (left-back, cover for Lucas, etc).

Kit
19-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Would be awesome if it did happen but in reality there's no chance. His wages are astronomical.

I agree cover for Lucas is essential (liverpool have looked like a different team with him back) but he is injury prone.

Still on the fence about whether they should get rid jose enrique. Seems to have an absolute shocker everytime I watch him play.

Adrock
19-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Lucas isn't injury prone in general. He had a massive knee injury and then got injured on his return with something different, its well known that players who have a long period on the sidelines will generally get a few niggling injuries on their return because they are pushing their body in ways they haven't done for a while.

I think a left back is a must, its the position that suffers most because there is no cover at all and Rodgers isn't willing to give Robinson a go there for whatever reason.

Sneijder, however, would be a brilliant signing. Having him in any part of the midfield or attacking three would place a creative quality, that just about any club would want, right in to the team to work alongside Suarez.

Adrock
19-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Henderson I truly believe will be an excellent player. Downing has ability and Enrique has had a terrible second half of the season but I do think he can be a decent full back consistently.

Who is this sage? :D :D :D

Only joking, that was from March last year. Its far too early to say Henderson is excellent but I'm pleased he is beginning to find his role within the team and by all accounts he had a good game today. Consistency and another couple of steps up in quality and he could be approaching the kind of player I hope he can become.

I've not seen any of it yet but today sounded like a good performance. I'll have to try and catch some of it.

nakamura
19-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Henderson is still very young and has simply been given a crazy price tag. It's not that he isn't or won't be good, more that British players are hugely overpriced.

Kit
11-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Sigh... you just knew that was going to happen.

I called it fairly early on when I saw how comfortable West Brom were defending. Hats off to Ben Foster, he made some amazing saves.

Need to get rid of Enrique. I lost count of the amount of times he gave the ball away.

All in all, a very disappointing night.

11-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Such a frustrating match... They were all getting the fundamentals wrong... Simple passes that were easily intercepted or missing opportunities and giving the ball away too easily... The amount of attempts Liverpool had compared to west brom, and all it took was a couple of attempts at goal to score... Sigh... Poor Gerard is too tired these days to carry the whole squad on his back...

i still say the mid field needs to sort itself out... Not enough aggression there, and the players aren't tall enough to win in the air...

112 :/

VR46
12-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Same old one step forward two steps back.

Like the way the BBC reported the "dent in our Champions League qualification hopes" lol they went back in September.

Think I'd happily settle for sixth come the end of the season at the moment.

This fact says it all, even gone are the days we'd beat the top teams and lose to those in the bottom half. Now we just lose to everyone. A season to forget for sure. So disappointing after the inkling we could have a good year.

•The result means Liverpool are still to beat a team currently in the top half of the Premier League table this season

Kit
12-02-2013, 12:14 PM
That is grim. Didn't know liverpool hadn't managed to beat a top half the table team.

I agree about the "champions league hopes" comments too. Liverpool are so far away from those teams this seasons it seems daft even talking about it.

Also read the other day Suarez has said while on international duty if they don't make it into the top four he's off.

Nu-Eclipse
10-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks to the FA Cup Semi-Final draw, whoever out of Blackburn Rovers, Millwall or Wigan reach the FA Cup Final will get the Europa League spot normally reserved for FA Cup winners who don't qualify for European competition via league position (Man City, Chelsea and Man-Ure are quite likely to qualify for CL next season).

This means that we will have to finish 5th in the league to claim Europa League football next season, with top-four looking mathematically possible but very unlikely.

Our remaining fixtures for this season:

Southampton (A)
Aston Villa (A)
West Ham (H)
Reading (A)
Chelsea (H)
Newcastle (A)
Everton (H)
Fulham (A)
QPR (H)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/fixtures

Anybody brave enough for results/points predictions? :D

VR46
11-03-2013, 07:57 AM
I'll be brave and say 5th come the end of the season, wouldn't have said that three weeks back, we still have to play quite a few teams in the relegation battle which will be probably be tougher games than those in the top half of the table.
Going to be a corker of a relegation battle this year, with so many teams on 33 points at the moment.

nakamura
11-03-2013, 08:46 AM
It's more than possible. It's from Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Chelsea and maybe Swansea for the third to fifth spots. Though I would count Swansea out certainly for CL but I have learned that anything can happen.

Nu-Eclipse
11-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Can't see a top-four finish for Liverpool. Too many points need to be dropped by too many teams above us with not enough games left.

Offer me a 5th-place finish and a 65-70pt total now and I'd bite your hand off.

nakamura
11-03-2013, 03:37 PM
I agree it is unlikely but as I said you never know. Liverpool have slowly closed the gap since their weak start to the season.

Kit
11-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Thanks to the FA Cup Semi-Final draw, whoever out of Blackburn Rovers, Millwall or Wigan reach the FA Cup Final will get the Europa League spot normally reserved for FA Cup winners who don't qualify for European competition via league position (Man City, Chelsea and Man-Ure are quite likely to qualify for CL next season).

This means that we will have to finish 5th in the league to claim Europa League football next season, with top-four looking mathematically possible but very unlikely.

Our remaining fixtures for this season:

Southampton (A)
Aston Villa (A)
West Ham (H)
Reading (A)
Chelsea (H)
Newcastle (A)
Everton (H)
Fulham (A)
QPR (H)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/fixtures

Anybody brave enough for results/points predictions? :D

That's not a bad run in of games bar Chelsea and Everton. Though some feel it's tougher at the end of the season when you take on a few clubs battling relegation - personally I think they make more mistakes.

They might as well give Liverpool the 3 points now for the QPR game. ;)

Think David is right. 5th would cap off a decent end of season.