Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English in NTSC-J Dreamcast

Hi all,

I'm looking to build my DC collection back up, as I have somewhere to play now. I was going for NTSC-U as is my old habit, but I have been offered some NTSC-J titles. I'm not opposed to that per se, apart from that I don't read Japanese and don't want to learn.

Anyone able to comment on whether NTSC-J DC titles are likely to have English text options? Obviously not things like Shenmue which require a lot of reading, but the more arcadey stuff, fighters etc.

I'm sure this is the right place to ask.

Shenmue, NO. Any RPG, No. Just like with any system from that time and before, most action games will have English options but all RPGs and so on will be Japanese only unless it's a special edition. saying that both Sonic Adventure games had English options. well, Sonic Adventure 1 didn't but there was an international edition released in Japan.

Comment

Okay, so for the likes of Crazy Taxi / Marvel vs Capcom etc, I should be okay?

I see your comment about systems of that time and before - is the same applicable to GC / PS2 which came along later? And what about SNES (Super Famicom) and N64?

NB Sonic Adventure is surely not an RPG.

Comment

For most arcade games, what little text there is in Japanese should be pretty inconsequential anyway. Wouldn't take long to memorise what the menu options do, after all!

Comment

Yeah, I know, but I just can't be arsed, that's why I want to know if they tend to have English options. Call me a philistine if you wish...

Comment

I don't think it would be a major hindrance for most titles, saying that if you really are that worried why not just pick up the cheap pal or ntsc-u versions?

Comment

Yep, I generally go NTSC-U, I was just wondering as the NTSC-J selection is plentiful.

Comment

The arcade titles mentioned should be fine. If they are cheap and plentiful, give them a try. If they don't work out sell them on.

Comment

You should have no major problems. plenty of mine are NTSC-J so if you need some checking then let me know. Crazy Taxi, Capcom Fighters, shooters, are all fine. Things like Sports Jam has a lot of text for an arcade game and the NTSC-U is much better in this respect. Don't forget plenty of games like Sega Tetris never had a release out of Japan and that menu (to me) is a bitch to navigate and a look at gamefaqs was needed.

Edit:Oh and if you decide not to go for NTSC-J let me know what titles you have been offered. May be on my wanted list!
                  Last edited by grain-flavour; 02-05-2013, 07:45.

Comment

If you guys are after any Japanese titles in particular you can check out my store - http://dreamcastgaga.blogspot.jp/201...-one-stop.html

I can let you know which are non-Japanese speaker friendly.

Comment

Working...
                    X