David Beckham to retire from football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Beckham to retire from football

Former England captain David Beckham is to retire from football at the end of the season, at the age of 38.

'bout bloody time an all! Can you believe, Scholes, Gary and Phil Neville and Beckham all gone. The only Fledgling left is Giggsy?!? and he started before them

I'm surprised - PSG offered him another year. I guess he wanted to end his career on a high (winning Ligue 1).

Comment

I am firmly in the pro Beckham camp and think he is ace. Wonder what he will do now?

Comment

Go Becks. Sad to see Owen, Fergie and him go, real end of an era in the most chozzle sense.

Comment

Anyone read Chris Waddles rant?

Former England winger Chris Waddle says David Beckham is not one of the top 1,000 players of the last 40 years.

1000 players better than Beckham?

Jealous much?

I'll be honest, I don't rate Beckham as highly as some but his dead ball skills were way, way beyond any other player to put on an England shirt.

He had no pace at all and was laughable at getting past players, but then why did he need to when he could make a quality delivery 9/10?

If he wants to talk overrated why not bring up his mate Gazza? People talk about how awesome he was and I only ever witnessed him play alright for one half against bloody Scotland.

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
          Go Becks. Sad to see Owen, Fergie and him go, real end of an era in the most chozzle sense.
          ^

Yes, feels like a little reminder/reality check of sorts when you see the players whos careers you've watched from start to finish retire.

I've watched Owen, Carragher, Becks and so on since they all started. The only two left now are Giggs and Gerrard.
          Last edited by Kit; 18-05-2013, 17:10.

Comment

Aww, leave poor old Gazza alone. His time at Spurs was a couple of years before I started going to matches but slightly older fans and my VHS review of the season tapes confirm his genius Such a shame that his personal problems and injuries completely derailed what could have been a truly great career.

Not surprised by Waddle's comments though. I've always thought he comes across as a bit of a misery guts whenever I've heard him commentating on a match.

Comment

I think Waddle has it about right tbh. Beckham was a master at using the talent he was given but there have been players much better than him throughout the years.

Theres nothing wrong with saying that and its not taking anything away from the successes of his career. But the truth of the matter is he is a footballer known throughout the world for stuff outside football, rather than what he has done on the pitch.

Comment

Waddle has not said anything out of place IMHO. The "1000 players" remark was just for emphasis, I don't think he literally meant or. Waddle was a bloody, skill full player by the way. And Gazza was worth 3 Rooney's were it not for injurys and alcoholism he would've proved it.

Comment

What I disagree with is that Waddle seems to think that the natural talent / skill of a player and how "great" that player is are directly related. I think you can be a great of the game without being the most skilful or talented player around.

Being a master of using the talent he was given is, imho, actually what makes Beckham a great player. Putting in the dedication and hard work to be a first choice player at two of the world's biggest clubs, without having much more than one outstanding attribute, is something that most players wouldn't be able to do.

Comment

I never really followed Beckham but was he actually a regular at Real? Or did he make quite a few appearances as sub? I've had a quick search around and haven't come up with the answer.

Regardless of whatever Waddle has said there has been tons of misguided fawning over Beckham for a long time and definitely this week. It'd be nice to see a balanced look at his career but I think that aint gonna happen any time soon.

Comment

Beckham loved playing for England, never dropped out of friendlies, and refused to quit. He never retired from international football like so many who sulked because they didn't get picked for a few games.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrock View Post
                        I never really followed Beckham but was he actually a regular at Real? Or did he make quite a few appearances as sub? I've had a quick search around and haven't come up with the answer.
                        He was very much a first choice player at Madrid. In his first three seasons he started 113 league / CL matches and was a sub twice. http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/8880/d...eckham?cc=5739

In his final season Capello dropped him after his move to LA Galaxy was announced, saying he wouldn't play for Madrid again as he didn't think Beckham would give 100% with such a big money move coming up. A couple of months later Beckham had forced his way back into the team with Capello admitting he'd got it wrong and shouldn't have dropped him.

Again, nothing to do with his talent, but something that I think sets him apart from the average player. No sulking, no giving up, just putting in enough hard work to get one of the greatest managers in world football to admit he was wrong and put Beckham back in the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran76 View Post
                          Beckham loved playing for England, never dropped out of friendlies, and refused to quit. He never retired from international football like so many who sulked because they didn't get picked for a few games.
                          Excellent point. Even when Steve McLaren replaced Sven-Goran Eriksson and publicly made Beckham a scapegoat by dropping him from the squad only to grovel and recall him, his passion and desire to play for England never waned.

I have never rated Beckham as a world-class player, but we will surely never again see a player who loved wearing the Three Lions more.

Comment

Waddle is a boyhood hero of mine so i'm finding his comments disgusting to be honest. Regardless of what people think of Beckham, the statistics and achievements are factual, to say he's not in the top 1000 is laughable.

Comment

I remember being in the camp that wanted Shaun Wright Philips to replace Beckham on the wing as he had speed, but you eventually realise that's all for nothing if the player can't cross; or shoot, or do anything other than run in SWP case.

Originally posted by bash View Post
                              And Gazza was worth 3 Rooney's were it not for injurys and alcoholism he would've proved it.
                              Would of, could of. He annoys the piss out of me tbh.

Comment

Working...
                              X