Protocol Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protocol Rain

As each level of Rez is indicative of a certain colour and each colour represesnts a certain trait of personailty fused with music and light what level bests suits your own self?

Do you find you replay a specific level of a game again and again to experience the same feeling or rush of adrenalin and nostalgia. Why do you think this is?

Personally I replay the second level of Axelay at least once a week just for the sheer feeling of joy it brings to my face as my mind is taken back to the future to my childhood of 10 years ago or so.

Are games the ultimate time machine in that they can transport us to our childhood pasts again and again everytime we pick up the controller or push the 1UP button on the cabinet.

Well?

What's your most powerful gaming memory?

Well not usually one for this snacy pansy crap:but as seen as i am in a good mood. I shall grace you all with my most powerful gaming memory.
    welllll.......It would have to be the snow level on mario 64 it sends shivers up my spine and makes me smile like some old lady seeing her grandson

Comment

Originally posted by Valiant
      As each level of Rez is indicative of a certain colour and each colour represesnts a certain trait of personailty fused with music and light what level bests suits your own self?
      It does You got more out of the game than I did then

I can replay the 1st and 2nd levels of Ikaruga till my arms fall off. The part where the ship shoots away from the carrier on the 1st level and where the ship dives underground on level 2 always give me a rush of adrenaline. Have absolutely no idea why though

Most powerful gaming memory though? I tend not to replay the older games I had, mainly because they were sold off to buy new ones and I've never bought them again. But also because stuff like RPG's I remember too well to go back to them again without getting bored.

But games music rather visuals or gameplay normally triggers off nostalgia for me, I tend to remember the music for games I enjoy really well.

Stuff like the Melody of Sun tune from Zelda:OoT or Green Hill from Sonic.

Comment

There are several games for me (all N64 too!!):

-Goldeneye
        The sniper rifle in the 1st 30 seconds of the game and shooting the cap off the soldier in the toilet of the Facility level. This game was my first proper attempt at a FPS and IMO has not been beaten by any other shooter.

-Pilotwings
        Having opened up all the goals you win on the USA on the birdman levels. I have no idea of how many days I have spent flying around the perfectly recreated US in this game. I still love it and would dearly love a cube version.

-Ocarina Of Time
        Just about the whole game. My favourite game of all. My best bit? Possibly riding Epona for the 1st time or the shiny "Link" that you have to fight that mirrors your attacks...

-Mario 64
        Playing the game for the 1st time. Just running around totally free and uninhibited, listening to the plumbers Wa-wa-wahooooo as he jumps. And fighting Bowser for the 1st time. So longer, dear Bowser. Sheer class.

Comment

Originally posted by Riskbreaker

But games music rather visuals or gameplay normally triggers off nostalgia for me, I tend to remember the music for games I enjoy really well.

Stuff like the Melody of Sun tune from Zelda:OoT or Green Hill from Sonic.
          Yes I would say gaming music has supplanted many things in my life now as an indicator of memory. The ping of the Gameboy, "It's me Mario" or the angelic choir music of Agony by Pygnosis on the Amiga on a cold and stormy Autumn Sunday afternoon in 1993 are all are locked within my brain. Most recently the James Bond inspired Streetfighter 3: Fight for the Future tune of Hong Kong is running through my head.

This fact actually comes full circle the circle on Kandinski's work and indeed Rez that it is in fact sounds that form our memory and become written into each of our heads to be recalled when we see fit.

Music is life...

Comment

Thanks to the GBASP Im happily reliving gaming memories of days gone by, predominantly due to numerous bouts on F-Zero, a game I still love to play even today. If ever there was a game that had memorable music then this was it, yet it still looks stylish in a retro sort of way and remains an enjoyable game.

Are games the ultimate time machine in that they can transport us to our childhood pasts again and again everytime we pick up the controller or push the 1UP button on the cabinet.
            Quite possibly, although I do find in many cases Im today looking back with rose-tinted glasses as it were, yet there are a select few games that simply never lose their charm and will always feel geed to play. Im really thinking of revisiting my Amiga days again, a time when gaming really reached its peak for me, yet I wonder if I will get the same feeling of excitement and amazement I felt back then. Theres only one way to find out... /heads off to Ebay..

Comment

I'll agree with you on F-Zero, Marcus. I got my GBA on day of release (?150... ouch) and sat in a coffee shop squealing like a girl at the delights of F-Zero!

Comment

What a fantastic avatar Square!

And a fantastic thread.

The last level of Rez does it for me, and for game music, perhaps Ken or Guiles stage always reminds me of being sleepy and thew sun coming through the roof window at my best friend's house and making me sleepy as we played SF2 turbo on the SNES.

Carefree days.

Comment

Just picked up Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands cheap for the Saturn. It's helping to bring back memories of me knackering my old ST Joystick's back when I was a wee little 'un.

Since I don't have my Atari anymore, it's great revisiting a classic (Rainbow Islands) that I fondly remember, and discovering it still manages to play a mean game or two.

Well, actually, a lot more than two...

Comment

Well, don't get me started on Rainbow Islands ... lets just say it's capable of putting me into a trance-like state of pure gaming joy. When I'm playing - reality drops away and it's just me, the machine and all those subtle and intricate patterns of power-up. The greatest game ever devised, surely.

Other powerful gaming memories that spring to mind:

Bruce Lee, C64 - chikka chikka chikka ... ah, I'm there in the bedroom again transfixed to a tiny B&W screen
                    Lords of Midnight, C64 - same location, but actually in epic other-world leading crusading armies to righteous victory
                    Ghost in the Shell, PSX - strange that I remember this so fondly, but it's very under-rated, I say. Some amazingly exhilarating levels in there
                    LOZ, Ocarina of Time, N64 - I sat staring at the screen for quite a while after it was finished, couldn't believe it was over

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieg
                      Ghost in the Shell, PSX - strange that I remember this so fondly, but it's very under-rated, I say. Some amazingly exhilarating levels in there
                      Supposedly there is a second game in the works, but I don't think it will be based around the Fuchicoma's this time round. I hope this is the case as I'm a huge fan of the manga and anime and I quite enjoyed the first game as well.

Comment

Shinobi.

Nothing comes close to the rush that game gives me.

I'm a Rez area 5 boy myself. Just love that choon.

Comment

Yoshi's island is just pure gaming delight, although the intro for soul blade makes me think of the good old days.

Virua Fighter 2 was the first import game (and console) for me, so that still stays in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Riskbreaker
                            Supposedly there is a second game in the works, but I don't think it will be based around the Fuchicoma's this time round. I hope this is the case as I'm a huge fan of the manga and anime and I quite enjoyed the first game as well.
                            There's a GitS TV show in production (well, I heard that quite a few months back now, it's probably airing as we speak ...) and the screenshots from that semed to suggest more emphasis on the heavy weapons (tanks, stylised Fuchikoma etc.) aspect. If they're basing the game on that ... maybe they'll reprise the style from the first game too. I 'd kinda like to see some ghost-hacking / net-cruising type stuff though ...

S.

Comment

Rainbow Islands

That brings back seriously good memories of gaming as a younger lad.

Comment

Working...
                              X