Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Term Storage of Games

Bit of an odd one this...

I'm moving house in a few weeks and want to put a lot of my games and consoles into storage (mainly PC games in large cardboard boxes). I want to store them in my aunts loft for safe keeping.

Does anyone have any experience with long term storage, should I wrap them in clingfilm to protect them from possible water damage or will that encourage condensation to form. Should I use some kind of desacating silica gel?

Does any one have dos and don'ts for this sort of thing???

No idea, but i'd certainly be interested in peoples experiences / views etc.

I'm thinking of putting a load of the stuff i can't see myself playing again into storage as they're doing nothing but gathering dust and taking up shelf space at the moment. The only thing that has stopped me doing it so far is the fear of putting them somewhere unsuitable.

Comment

Lofts generally = big no no for cardboard packaging. The potential dampness and cold can damage the material. I notice this from the cardboard boxes that hold a lot of my retro stuff that's kept in the loft. The contents (ie. cartridge boxes themselves) are mainly fine however but I really don't want to keep all of it up there for too much longer just in case.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Maybe put stuff within plastic bags to keep them away from the moistness of the air - well thats what I did with my old Beatles LP's

Comment

Try big plastic tuppa ware boxes, these would be good as they can be air-tight sealed and so stop any smell or mositure entering into you games. If you are really concerned place the tuppa ware boxes into a big plastic bag, this should be pretty good

Luke.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbury
            Bit of an odd one this...

I'm moving house in a few weeks and want to put a lot of my games and consoles into storage (mainly PC games in large cardboard boxes). I want to store them in my aunts loft for safe keeping.

Does anyone have any experience with long term storage, should I wrap them in clingfilm to protect them from possible water damage or will that encourage condensation to form. Should I use some kind of desacating silica gel?

Does any one have dos and don'ts for this sort of thing???
            Yes put lots of solica gel in otherwise the card will get damp, put them
            in sealed plastic bags whch must be airtight.

Regards,
            Neil.

Comment

yeah use big tuppa ware boxes!

Comment

Jeez,

Thanks all, I wasn't expecting anyone to reply to this thread.

Comment

I've had all my stuff in the loft for 2 years and it seems fine. Just sitting around in Cardboard boxes. Think it depends on your loft though.

Comment

My flatmate lost nearly all his vintage comic collection when mice got into the attic and chewed them up to shreds.

Comment

Working...
                    X