Buying a Japanese 3DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a Japanese 3DS

Did a search but surprisingly couldn`t find much on this...

I want to pick up a Japanese 3DS LL (XL). Apaart from the Japanese language and the carts being region locked are there any other issues?

Actually, is it still region locked with no bypass? How about the e-shop? Will I be able to download from the Japanese store if I have the Japanese points? And where`s the best place to import from these days??

Originally posted by hoyteamx View Post
    Actually, is it still region locked with no bypass? How about the e-shop? Will I be able to download from the Japanese store if I have the Japanese points? And where`s the best place to import from these days??
    Yes. Japan-only. Yes. Nin-nin, I guess, or Play Asia, whichever has the lowest price or stock of the colour/edition you want.

If you buy a JPN 3DS is because you're interested in games available only Japan (either as cartrdige or digital download).

Comment

I just sold mine like three days ago. You can use ANY credit card to buy digital content. You don't even need points cards.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

There are a couple of things that wont work from an imported 3ds outside japan, stuff like the HULU video app. That is IP region locked think the takeaway food app is a bit useless outside of Japan too.

However anything gaming related works fine including all digital/dlc stuff. Never had a problem with download or vid streaming speeds form Japan to the UK. As J0e has mentioned credit cards work fine all you need is the number the expiry date & the CCV number from the back, used point cards as well & they work fine too.

Only really worth it though if you plan to import a lot of games or are really interested in imports as they are still a lot more expensive due to the exchange rate. Need to look at the exclusives & decide if there are enough to make it worth your while.

Comment

I found it to be around the same prices as over here myself. MH4 came in at ?38 after currency conversion to my UK card. VC stuff is about ?4 too. I'd rather a JPN unit over a UK one myself. There are enough playable titles that you can't get here to warrant owning one.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I doubt you'd find a cart version for that price, importing physical versions is more expensive than the standard uk ones. If you want to risk digital then yeah a bit more of a saving.

Comment

Fair enough, but I'm totally digital now, so it was great for me in regards to pricing.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Only things i have risked buying so far as digital is the Darumeshi sports shop & the dlc for NSMB2. But if you are prepared to take the risk it is an efficient way of importing if you go digital, no customs or postage adding to the price.

Personally i prefer the box too, even though nowdays you just get a slip of paper with the most minimal of instructions lol

Comment

Thanks for the info! Never stopped playing games but have been out of the import scene for a while! The 3DS is actually for a Japanese speaker I know and I`m in japan at least once a year. Looks like I`ll be picking one up from play-asia and generally the price of the games is about the same (both over priced but thats another story..!) Is a UK power supply going to be fine?

Comment

Yup UK power supply works fine on a Japanese unit.

The 3DS is now at a point where there are some pretty fun Japanese games out or on the horizon.

Comment

Working...
                    X