Radirgy de Gojaru! [3DS eShop]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radirgy de Gojaru! [3DS eShop]

Why am I playing this when I have NeoXYX...I mean, if NeoXYX would spring to life, bite down on my nack with its case and cut my throat with the game disc, I would understand, really.

So, yeah, Klon deliver Radirgy de Gojaru, and after the trainwreck that was Karous The Beast of Re:Eden, I didn't really know what to expect. Well, that's not entirely true, I was torn between "worse" and "better..slighty...just...marginally, but still terrible" and half an hour with the game has moved the tip toward the former.

The very first impressions aren't bad: the graphical presentation follows the previous games, the music sounds a bit better (well, it has more time to develop, and it's not as techno as in Karous) and the game doesn't slow down.
    As you hit "game start" (it's on the touch screen), you're brought to a static screen with your base (the launch pad from previous Radirgy games) at the bottom, your sword-wielding robot in the center and incoming enemy waves.
    On the touchscreen there are four buttons, each for a different weapon (spread, X, cross, sword: less power to projectiles, more to the sword), which can be swapped freely; a battery charge indicates how long the bomb will last (a sort of bullet-absorbing, enemy damaging circle of protection that can be recharge while active by hitting bullets and enemies), there's an icon for the score, for your base's health, something I don't know, and an icon with the main heroine's face, that will show a random sentence upon press.
    The first minutes should not even exist, as you simply sit on the bottom of the screen, shooting with your spread gun, destroying all enemies that dare to come on-screen and wondering why they aren't firing.
    After that, the first medium-sized enemies appear, and the game slows down. Not as bad as Karous, but Karous at least had projectiles, more enemies, more effects, and a moving background on screen. Now, I kinda prefer Radirgy's approach as it doesn't feel like moving in treacle, but the downside is that you get more excitement in looking at any other shooter's splash screen.
    The game, to my understanding, is just a sort of tower defense game, where the longer you last, the better your score will be. "To my understanding" because I've yet to figure out what really damages your base: I think enemies coming from the top of the screen and hitting it do, but I also think the health bar is shared between your robot and your base; it's not entirely clear, but the point is that there's even less to do than in Karous 3DS: at the very least, Karous 3DS had a structure, had multiple missions, multiple items, more enemy and background variety (note: I'm not saying it's good), Radirgy DGJL is one of the most basic shooters I've seen, and that includes games from the '80s.
    If you've got a thousand yen on your 3DS and desperately want to spend them, go for Swords & Darkness.

Thanks for the impressions, bit of info and a gameplay video here

shame they don't show the bottom screen at any point though.

Comment

Working...
    X