Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asia vs Japan version games, whats the difference? (PS4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asia vs Japan version games, whats the difference? (PS4)

Hi everyone,

Im just browsing through PS4 games on Play-Asia and I noticed something which I hope someone can help me with.

Many games - for example Metal Gear Solid Ground Zero's - on the PS4 are listed from different regions, the two that confuse me are Asia and Japan, there is also Europe and US but these are quite obvious.

Whats the difference between PS4 games - or any platform for that matter - from Japan and Asia. Are they identical in terms of language dialogue but just packaged under a different region?

The reason I ask is I'd like to pick up MGS:GZ with Japanese dialogue and English subtitles. (Im in UK)

Many thanks in advance.

R2 and R3 are not always the same. Sometimes R3 will follow R2, other times it'll follow R1. Often there are two versions, which follow R2 and R1. It's always best to check before purchasing, but R3 MGS V follows the R2 version. Japanese audio with selectable text.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I see, thanks

Im guessing these are the regions?

R1 - NTSC US
      R2 - Europe and Japan
      R3 - Asia

So, is it the R2 or R3 MGS:GZ that has Japanese language and English text?

Comment

That's correct. R2 is NTSC-J compatible for Japan, and PAL compatible for Europe though it doesn't generally matter anymore from PS3 onwards. Only DVD's still follow the broadcasting standards.

Both R2 and R3 MGS V are the same outside of the packaging. To my knowledge, there isn't an English audio R3 version.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

It's worth noting that there are sometimes multiple R3 versions, which display different languages outside of R2 and R1 too. You can get Chinese and Korean language R3 games, which can make it more confusing, though this is quite rare outside of text heavy games. There are three R3 Vita versions of FFX/X-2. Japanese, Chinese and English. It gets even weirder as only the Japanese and Chinese versions are Vita TV compatible, whereas the English version is just a repackaged US one and so doesn't run.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Excellent, thanks for your help

I'll have to remember to double check what languages the game has before ordering as I dont want to import a game that has no English subtitles. I could pick up MGS:GZ here but to keep it japanese 'authentic' as its made by Kojima I'd prefer to play it with japanese dialogue.

Comment

You can always ask here in future, I usually know if not a few of the other users.

English audio is the lead version this time around with Japanese being overdubbed. You can see them mouthing in English, but I prefer MGS in Japanese myself. It's much more atmospheric IMO.

The only time I've ever gotten stuck was with the C4 in MGS1.
              Last edited by J0e Musashi; 12-05-2014, 16:39.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I cant decide now, Play-Asia have both MGS:GZ Asia and Japan versions and both have japanese dialogue and english subtitles...

Japan - http://www.play-asia.com/metal-gear-...n-70-7apn.html
                Asia - http://www.play-asia.com/metal-gear-...n-70-7g9n.html

But which to get lol???

Comment

Get the JPN one from eBay. I've seen it for ?15ish. It'd be worth more at resale too. Bear in mind that you'll need an R2 version of TPP if you want to share the save data and DLC.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Would I need to have an R2 Japan PSN account to access the DLC when TPP comes out?

Comment

It's through Konami's website from what I gather. The code in the box isn't an SCEI-compatible one. Probably a good idea to get a JPN account anyway though.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Awesome, going to search ebay now, cheers J0e Musashi

PS, nice sig

Comment

If you can't find one let me know.

Thanks. I find it particularly pleasing.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Asian games are usually cheaper (or they used to be). Usually they are covered in English text and used to come with an English movecard/instructions (fir the ps2 anyhow) Some asian games are totally in English too

Comment

R2 ground zeroes is slightly censored.

Comment

Working...
                              X