Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese snacks thread, gaming related or otherwise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese snacks thread, gaming related or otherwise.

Decided this will make a fun thread, lord knows there are certainly enough sweetsout there to talk about. So feel free to chat about any super tasty imported treats you have discovered or maybe game related ones. I know there are some puyo puyo VS tetris gummies i have yet to try. Nothing goes better with imported games than some sugar filled imported sweets to munch while playing.

I shall post some proper snack reviews later....
    Last edited by importaku; 19-05-2014, 23:19.

Think the last Japanese snack I had was one of these, a Wasabi KitKat couple of years back. Didn't enjoy it really, just as well as it cost about 70p (here in the UK) for a small two finger KitKat but I had to have it.

Foodstuff Finds: snacks, reviews, biscuits, chocolate, crisps, beer, new, groceries, import goodies news! Foodies. Munchies. chocolate mission

(that's not my site, there are probably other Japanese snacks on there though).

Comment

JAGA RIKO every single time. I was told that you can also put hot water in to make a kind of pot mash.

Comment

As i said before i really love dagashi. Here are a some of my faves.......

Amaiika taro
        There are many different varieties of this super cheap snack, the kimchi flavour ones are really nice. A flat credit card sized piece of seafood type jerky, a bit sweet & a bit salty.

Yakiniku kalbee taro
        If the seafood one is too much then the meaty ones are just as nice

Watapachi melon soda flavour
        Watapachi is candyfloss with popping candy embedded all the way through both the floss & the popping candy are the most amazing melon flavour i can't get enough of it.

umaibo
        Imagine a giant wotsit in a ton of different flavours & you have umaibou. Suprisingly filling & very cheap, perfect to munch on while gaming.

Comment

Want to try these just to see what they are like.

Comment

The irony is I can buy most of these a few minutes walk from my house but I'd give my right but for a packet a smokey bacon crisps, a milky bar and some liquorice Catherine wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
              The irony is I can buy most of these a few minutes walk from my house but I'd give my right but for a packet a smokey bacon crisps, a milky bar and some liquorice Catherine wheels.
              I'd kill to be able to buy a Mars bar or a Crunchie right now.

Comment

Sweets are where the Japanese falter. There are some nice glocalized candies available but generally Western brands are much superior. Not to mention utterly boring and quite bland traditional Japanese 'pastries', most of them filled with some type of sweetened red bean; anko paste. The savory stuff is alright, though. The products over there have a hefty amount of ingredients to make them quite tasty. However, I tasted some dried squid which I certainly won't do again.

What they lack in that department, however, they certainly make up with savory cuisine.
                Last edited by danholo; 20-05-2014, 08:35.

Comment

^ Those 'pastries' are mochi, which is glorious and extremely varied. Try sakura-mochi (only available in cherry blossom season) - it's wonderful, salty bitterness of the leaf contrast with the sweetness of the paste. Japanese bakeries are also superb: kurumi pan and melon pan are great. As for junk sweets, it's got to be Pocky sticks of any flavour but especially 'almond crush'; Morinaga choco-macadamia nuts; Meiji Apollos (strawberry chocolates shaped like/named after the last stage of the Apollo moon mission), and those Meiji chococolate covered bamboo shoot things. Those are just every cornershop junk sweets, though. High-end Japanese sweets like macha-dusted fresh-cream chocolates are as good as anything produced in the West. For savoury stuff there's Calbee shrimp sticks (don't know proper name), or those deep-fried 'peanut-fry' things (again forget the name - sorry!) that are totally dripping in fat so have to be eaten quick before they go rancid. Those are some of my favourites - usually have a boxful to hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo
                    those deep-fried 'peanut-fry' things (again forget the name - sorry!) that are totally dripping in fat so have to be eaten quick before they go rancid

OK now I'm ravenous.

Comment

Only thing I missed during my days in Japan was dry roasted peanuts. In fact, they exist solely in the UK it seems.
                      Lemon kitkats were the best, I remember one year Huxley was over visiting we bought a shedload between us.

I'd probably kill for a can of Yebisu, although oddly a few weeks ago the misses found a beer from Hitachi in a pub downtown. Ibaraki beer in Canada is a proper random find.

Mame-daifuku, tai-yaki, tora-yaki and pretty much anything else with anko in it would do down a treat right now.

I can get no end of natto from the korean supermarket near me but don't really have any kind of fondness for it, although I can stomach it at least.

Comment

Japan definitely falls behind when it comes to 'western' sweets. Once you get over the novelty of eating Japanese sweets, you realise that the chocolate and the like really isn't particularly good, and there's much less variety of 'gummy' sweets. For example, I've been trying to find anything vaguely resembling the sourness of some nice fizzy colas or Tangfastics, but even the Japanese 'sour' sweets taste too bland.

However, Japanese traditional sweets are awesome. If you ever come to Kyoto, check out the Yatsuhashi stuff - I love it.

It comes in both dough-like form with azuki in the middle, or solid cinnamon-flavoured form. Both are awesome.

Japan also has a crazy amount of different flavour of Kit Kat.

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                        Only thing I missed during my days in Japan was dry roasted peanuts. In fact, they exist solely in the UK it seems.
                        I've been searching high and low, still no luck - not even at the import stores.
                        Last edited by sj33; 20-05-2014, 08:28.

Comment

I can't get them in Canada either, I have to have one of my parents send them over. Naturally, when my father and his family decided to visit me in Japan, 3 weeks before I was moving to Canada, he brought me 2 huge bags I had no chance of enjoying and ended up leaving them both to save space. SUCH A WASTE!!

Generally Japanese chocolate isn't fantastic, as plain as the chocolate is, I do quite like Crunky.

Oh and in North America, the closest thing to a Whisper bar is called Mirage and is made by Nestle. No Yorkie here, nor Topic, although there was briefly something called Nuts 2 You from Nestle which was basically a Topic. Not seen one in 2-3 years.

Did you guys have the Chunky Kitkat war? We were forced to choose between Peanut butter, hazlenut and something else. I liked the hazlenut so of course the peanut one won.

Comment

For the sake of the thread, here is a genuinely really nice Japanese chocolate!

Black Thunder. Tastes awesome and is only 38 yen. You can get bigger bars now too!

Comment

I've now been thinking about KitKat all morning. Best J-flavour I remember having was when my mate sent me two bags of the ラムネ flavour ones. I was a popular guy in the office that day.

Comment

Working...
                              X