World Cup 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup 2014

Only a few hours until it all kicks off! Brazil vs Croatia up first. Hope it's an exciting tournament, 2010 was a bit of a let down and not that memorable.

I've placed a couple of bets: a fiver on Italy to win the cup and a fiver on Benzema to be top scorer, both at 25/1.

I'm visiting a friend in Austin, Texas for two weeks from Sunday, so I'll be experiencing most of the first half of the world cup in the good old USA. It'll be interesting to see how much buzz their is for it and what the quality of the coverage is like. Bound to be better than ITV at least

Is there a World Cup on?

Comment

Not in the USA!
      Hope your Italy bet comes in, I have them in the sweep at work

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Is there a World Cup on?
        Indeed there is! I knew that it would go under the radar so I thought I'd better start up a thread to remind people on here that it was on; it'll barely get a mention in the mainstream media.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie vip 99 View Post
          Not in the USA!
          Hope your Italy bet comes in, I have them in the sweep at work
          I always put a bet on Italy at World Cups and Euros as they usually have quite long odds despite their good record at getting to the latter stages.

Comment

Cant quite believe the World Cup is upon us, seams to have snuck up slowly. What are great summer of sport there is ahead, just don't know where I'm going to find time for gaming

Im going for Argentina to win it, though a lot rests heavily on which Messi turns up of course.

Comment

Just been to the Aldi by work for some couch eats (crisps n dips, of course). Luckily, my wife loves the world cup too. C'mon Croatia (Croatia to win 14/1!).

Comment

Set the TiVo to record the Japan games as I don't know my shift pattern for next week yet (nothing like keeping me guessing).

Everything else is a case of "I'll watch what's on".

BBC app downloaded to PS4 in case I don't have access to the TV downstairs and I can stream ITV live on my laptop.

Comment

I got Iran in the sweepstake at work, that's two quid I will never see again.

Shame some of the games are on so late (for us with kids and work the next day).

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                    C'mon Croatia (Croatia to win 14/1!).
                    Is that 14/1 just to win this match? That's a great price! Modric in the middle, Mandzukic up front with Rakitic behind him, those players can hurt any team. Always liked Srna too, great fullback. Definitely think Croatia will give Brazil a tough time.

Edit: didn't realise Mandzukic was suspended tonight, bit of a shame.
                    Last edited by EJG1980; 12-06-2014, 18:55.

Comment

Yeah just to win this game. I put a cheeky 3 quid on it

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH View Post
                        I got Iran in the sweepstake at work, that's two quid I will never see again.
                        Feeling your pain. I got Algeria! That said, my Golden Boot pick was Edinson Cavani - not too shabby. Will need him to hit the ground running against Costa Rica though.

I'm expecting this to be a good World Cup, if only because all the South American teams will be strong this time out and not just Brazil and Argentina. Nearly all World Cups that I've watched in my lifetime have been dire (1990 first WC that I can remember) and it bugs me that I'm far too young to remember the 1982 (born that year) and 1986 tournaments.

Oh, and ITV's choice of official title sequence/theme tune is dire - far too cheesy.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 12-06-2014, 19:54.

Comment

Ohh, that's put the cat among the pigeons! My Paulinho first goalscorer bet is buggered though. Excellent speedy counter from Croatia. Game on!

Pffffftttttt... Shouldn't have been a penalty.

Bah, thought the keeper was saving that at first, should have kept it out.
                          Last edited by EJG1980; 12-06-2014, 21:32.

Comment

well that penalty was bull....

Comment

Host country getting favourable decisions...............never seen that before<shakes head>

Comment

Working...
                              X