X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[3DS] Illmatic Envelope Dillinjah

I don't know.
    Really, I don't.
    What, you might ask? Why I buy shoot'em'ups from Klon, whose prime objective apprently is to do very bad things to Milestone shooters. Karous The Beast of Re:Eden and Radirgy Degojaru (a.k.a. Radirgy DGJL) were textbook examples on how not to do shooters, so why would someone ever consider to buy the extragavantly named Illmatic Envelope Dillinjah? Because I probably want to hurt myself, especially when I could spend my time playing Excave: Ikai no Madoushi-Hen, which is at the very least an average game.
    Or probably because I was hoping that not everything is lost with Klon and they would actually learn from their mistakes, like coding a graphics engine that doesn't slow down when an enemy is on-screen or that mission-based shoot'em'ups are good as secondary modes, not as a whole game, no matter how many missions you come up with.

And Klon did learn from some of their mistakes, the game doesn't slow down as much as Karous and Radirgy did. The price to pay are barren stages, less porjectiles on the screen, and most enemies reduced to a simple moving texture rather than polygonal objects. The game still slows down with five or six polygonal enemies on screen, and it looks considerably worse than Klon's two previous attempts.

The game is still mission-based, with 100 of them immediately available from the start. The goal seems to collect three keys in each stage (bronze, silver, gold) to open a lock in the game's main menu. To get these three keys you have to complete each stage's objective, which is never told (or, at least, never clearly shown as in Karous), but it's usually about survival, killing a certain amount of enemies, or reaching a certain score. Not that performances beyond the minimum requirements are rewarded, to get all three keys you have to play a stage three times, with stages themselves not changing a bit from their original form.

There are three ships available, plus other five locked away; I don't know if the keys are used to unlock new ships, after 25 stages completed once (and a bunch completed three times), no key was accepted by the lock in the game's main menu.
    The ships available are the ones from the original Illvelo, and the ones from Karous TBoRE and Radirgy DGJL. Each ship has its own characteristics, but I'd say that the game is "lightly" skewed toward the Radirgy ship, as it can be hit twice before dying and can launch its bomb (a field that absorbs bullets and damages enemies) essentially when it wants; you can face the stages from different perspectives, but the Karous and Radirgy ships are very similar, plus stages are so unappealing that you barely want to do them once.
    If you played Karous and Radirgy, it doesn't help that some are taken straight from these two games...yeah, Klon copy/pasted not only enemies but also whole stages from their previous games. Now, I must admit that I've never heard of the original Illvelo before knowing that Klon was doing this game, but from what I've seen from some Youtube videos, the game was the most peculiar of Milestone's shooters, with warp mechanics and crazy graphics: Illvelo Dillinjah essentially ignores all of that and only and handful of stages feature Illvelo-specific enemies, and the influence of the original stops with the interface.

So, Klon succedeed in their objective of doing very bad things to an other Milestone shooter. It's better than Radirgy, but worse than Karous, as at least Karous had some structure and...well, so far it's the only game with original content between the three.
Working...
X