Modding a uk cube possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modding a uk cube possible?

The dam dixions deal has forced me to get a gamecube, but a mate says u cant mod uk gamecubes is this true

and i know i could get the free loader but i hate swapping discs

i dont think you can switch a uk one like you can with us/jap cubes. it'd would have to be a modchip

Comment

you can't mod or switch a UK cube I'm afraid. So freeloader is your only option unless you buy a US/JAP console. Keep an eye on the trading forum mate... US/JAP consoles go for about ?80 (that's what I sold mine for when I bought a Q) and that's better than the Dixons deal.

Comment

just get hold of a freeloader its great!

Comment

Originally posted by djtickle
          just get hold of a freeloader its great!
          well it isn't that good.

Comment

my second question is why cant the uk cube be modded? is it a different mbo design etc?

Comment

Yup, I think the chipset is quite different.
              Freeloader's good but remember it's not future-proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris
                Yup, I think the chipset is quite different.
                Freeloader's good but remember it's not future-proof.
                Indeed its showing its age already as it doesnt work with PAL:

Resident Evil 0 or PSO

Comment

to play pal games on ntsc cube would you have to mod it similar to the how the q plays pal dvds ? with an extra chip to do the pal signal and that ?

Comment

Well, a 50hz only PAL game will be output with scrambled colors (B&W) unless you're using an RGB cable.

If the game supports 60hz, it'll automatically run in 60hz NTSC.

I used Freeloader on my NTSC (USA) Cube and played PAL Rayman 3 from start to finish with no problems. But, apparently Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance doesn't load (it was released a little before Rayman 3) and PSO apparently has problems (hasn't been fully confirmed I don't think?)

Comment

Originally posted by wod
                      to play pal games on ntsc cube would you have to mod it similar to the how the q plays pal dvds ? with an extra chip to do the pal signal and that ?
                      An NTSC cube can't be modded to play PAL games. The Freeloader is the only option here.

Comment

Can a PAL cube be modded to enable progressive scan on the 60Hz mode?

I've just forked out for a component cable and while i'm sure it'll be better than the bog standard composite connection even in interlaced mode i'm curious to know if I can get acess to prog scan.

Comment

Originally posted by oracle
                          The dam dixions deal has forced me to get a gamecube, but a mate says u cant mod uk gamecubes is this true

and i know i could get the free loader but i hate swapping discs
                          No you cant - the motherboards on the JPN and USA model Cubes are identical - only 1 jumper makes the difference. Putting a switch between this jumper toggles mode. This is not possible on the UK version, you can pick up an NTSC machine VERY cheap now - consider that before buying a PAL machine.

Comment

I just ordred the freeloader together with a Soul Calibur 2 copy.
                            Does anyone know if it is compatible?

Comment

it might work but theres no definate answer

however check this site to see if its listed

Comment

Working...
                              X