[X360] Sakura Flamingo Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[X360] Sakura Flamingo Archives

So, Klon. They have the rights to Milestone shooters after that company went tits up due to some financial scamming. I'm starting to believe that someone important at Klon was scammed by Milestone, and now Klon only exist to do very bad things to any Milestone franchise they can get their hands on.
    So far, Klon published Karous The Beast of Re:Eden, Radirgy DeGoJaru (a.k.a. Radirgy DGJL), and Illmatic Envelope Dillinjah (a.k.a. Illvelo Dillinjah), all for the 3DS, the latter two as downloadable titles only. And they were bad. Textbook examples on how not to do shooters.

Now Sakura Flamingo Archives for the X360 is here, a collection of Chaos Field, Radirgy, Karous, Illmatic Envelope (a.k.a. Illvelo), and Radirgy Noa. All these games already received ports, with Radirgy Noa being available on the X360 as Radirgy Noa Massive. All of these games are also available in previous collections, so what are exactly Sakura Flamingo Archives' selling points? HD resolution, the ability to easily get this collection rather than digging old ones out, and original modes.
    Tremble you weakings, cower in fear, Klon are about to unleash not one, but two, of their shooters.

The initial impressions aren't particularly good: the main menu is very shallow, with vast portions of the screen empty. Checking the options only brings up sound and controller configuration, but as Chaos Field uses a horizontal screen, additional configs like lives and screen must be set for each game; I still have to play the Wii ports of Radirgy Noa and Illvelo, but a quick scan through the manuals reveal that they might have been thought for horizontal screens as well (though the original Radirgy used a veritcal screen).
    The first two main menu entries are Mixture and Death mode, the two new modes; the third entry, Revision, leads to a submenu with the "old" games.

Games load very fast, although you are sent to the splash screen each time you quit one. Conversions seem good, with no slowdowns and the celshaded graphics of Karous, Radirgy, and Illvelo looking very nice in HD. Chaos Field looks decent as well, but some background textures seem to suffer due to the higher resolution. The only slowdowns are in Radirgy, when textboxes pop up at the start of the stage and before bosses, and it seems more a loading-induced slowdown than anything else, even if the disc is constantly spinning in the X360 (and I forgot how noisy a X360 can be). Have Klon come up wih a decent anthology? Is this possible? Is this a miracle?
    No.
    First, the control options in the main menu are for the two new modes, controls for the "old" games have to be reassigned; how to reassing buttons changes between the main menu and the games, but this is a minor thing. Biggest thing? Hugest thing? Biggest huge thing? No screen rotation in any game, not even for the two new modes. Now, I'm not familiar with the Wii ports (either stand-alone or from the various Milestone Shooting Collections), screen rotation might not have been present in those as well and Sakura Flamingo Archives might be based off these ports, but Radirgy and Karous on the DC had screen rotation, as well as Radirgy Noa Massive on the X360 did. Either way, I find the lack of TATE mode inexcusable. Add to this that the collection is bereft of any extra (gallery, extra wallpapers), and the whole package now doesn't exactly sells itself, especially if you have the games available on other formats; if you don't, the collection might be of interest, but it still features inferior ports...and I know that not everyone can pivot their TV/monitor, but to those who can and have the original games, this collection is essentially irrelevant.

That leaves us with the two new game modes, Mixture and Death. Both modes can be played by two people, and in both you can select from all ships featured in the "old" games; every ship retains their special gimmicks, but you don't expect that enemy patterns or stages change based on the selected ship.
    Mixture mode sees you ship going through stage fighting against enemies taken from the other games, in a very basic shoot'em'up that ahas nothing to do with any of its inspirations. New assets for this mode are taken straight from Illvelo Dillinjah, and Mixture mode is just as dull as the 3DS game. Comparing this mode to any of the other games creates an almost exciting discrepancy in quality, even when using your least favourite as a comparison. Mixture mode develops on what should have been a vertical screen, just to make the lack of TATE mode even more painful...if I could care about this mode at all, it's now evident that Klon don't have the slightest idea on how to develop shooters.
    Death mode...eh. It's Radirgy DGJL. It's a tower defence game. It's more lively than DGJL (as in you actually have to dodge bullets during the first two minutes) and doesn't slow down like on the 3DS, but it's you defending the bunker from Radirgy from a collection of enemies from other games. And with patterns not customised to the ship you're piloting, the ships from Radirgy and Radirgy Noa have the highest chance of survival, thanks to the ability to spam bombs and use shot+sword at the same time.

In the end, Klon were able to screw up a game collection; it's neither the first nor the worst, but surely not a must buy. Your mileage with the games featured in the collection might vary a lot, so if you have a console hosting one of the old ports, I'd say to go for those instead.

I will update this thread with some more detailed X360 VS other ports some time later.

no TATE?

not good

Comment

Wow I had been considering this but think I'll skip it entirely now, sounds awful truly awful

Thanks for the impressions & helping me save some money

Comment

The cover is stunning though!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          The cover is stunning though!
          The cover also doubles as background for all menus and some text in the same menus.

Comment

First update, I spent some more time with the game and the Wii versions of Radirgy Noa and Illvelo. Comparisons are based on the stand-alone editions of the Wii versions, I don't have the various Shooting Collections.

Starting with Radirgy Noa, the Wii version lacks TATE mode just like the Sakura Flamingo Archives, and that's because the interface is thought for 4:3 horizontal screens; Radirgy Noa Massive on the X360 does feature TATE mode, however.
            The difference between Wii and SFA is not much, the most noticeable being the occasional slowdowns suffered by the Wii version; as stated before, Radirgy Noa looks very nice in HD, so I guess that SFA wins here...unless you count Radirgy Noa Massive: the previous X360 version is still superior to the version presented in SFA.

Illvelo is available as a stand-alone game, but it's also present along Radirgy Noa, on the same disc. This version is a straight arcade port, and guess what: TATE mode is available. The stand-alone version of Illvelo has TATE mode too, but they aren't exactly the best TATE modes available: both games are just happy to rotate the image 90? clockwise (no other option) and stretch it across the screen; this is a pity because Illvelo greatly benefits from TATE mode, as the game is a constant sensory overload, and bigger the screen is, the better.
            Anyway, the stand-alone version of Illvelo includes arcade mode, easy mode, hard mode, and special mode; SFA only has arcade mode, the Wii version hasn't the superior framerate of the X360 version but doesn't slow down either, making SFA the absolute loser here.

As for the two games, Radirgy Noa is fun, not the hardest shooter or complex shooter around, but fun nonetheless. There's a review and a thread on Noa Massive, which is pretty close to the original Noa.
            Illvelo is...strange. The ship you pilot has the ability to detach two options (called "doll") and use them as satellites, move them around the screen but no ability to recall them; the bomb is a flaming ball with two eyes on it, and its gauge is recharged by collecting tokens dropped by enemies.
            Scattered through the stages there are warps that brings you to a sub-level where you have to destroy all enemy waves there. The rest is usual shooter fare, with levels ending with the usual boss; all bosses are timed, and unless you know what you're doing, it's normal to see them flee. Most projectiles can be destroyed by your normal shoot, hitting enemies with your ship doesn't hurt you, and the game itself is relatively easy.
            What places Illvelo apart is the graphical presentation, which can be described as "totally bonkers". Enemies range from the usual cannon fodder starships to demonic salarymen, passing through lego blocks, six-armed hornet men, and green and puple mushrooms (with eyes, of course). Backdrops are equally bizzarre, the action is constant, and frankly quite difficult to say what you are doing. Detaching the two options is as good as losing sight of them, and especially on the Wii, is easy to lose sight of...anything. Compared to Radirgy Noa, Illvelo is pretty rough.

Comment

Second update, all about Chaos Field...oh, I was so wrong about Chaos Field.
              I've only have the GC version of the game to compare, and once again Sakura Flamingo Archives only has one game mode, while the GC two (Arcade and Original). I also retract my statement that games load fast, Chaos Field for example has a loading screen between ship selection and the first stage, something that the GC version doesn't.
              And the X360 version slows down due to loading. I think it's due to loading, I hope it's due to loading, but anyway this is not acceptable. I'm pretty sure you can load the whole Chaos Field in the X360's memory and still have space left, why the game should load in between boss transitions, possibly causing the game to freeze? Oh yes, I've got the SFA version of Chaos Field freeze on me a couple of times.
              I've also compare the intro sequences of the X360 and GC versions, and the GC version has more details and texture; this might be to the GC version being "Expanded" while the SFA version being the vanilla arcade, but just like with Illvelo, why going for an inferior version?

Oh, and a mini-update on Mixture mode, one of the two new modes. Enemy patterns vary slightly between ships, but stage progression doesn't. "Stage progression" is an overstatement, as Mixture mode is the first four stages of Illvelo, without warps, played in succession; you've got unlimited continues and a single life bar per continue, and Mixture is over in about 15 minutes. With no other hooks to the featured games other than choosing a ship, Mixture mode is a mess that shouldn't exist...because the best way to play it is with the Traxx (Illvelo's ship), but you have the full Illvelo available on the same disk!

Only Radirgy and Karous to go, but the message is clear: stay away from Sakura Flamingo Archives.

Comment

Ah. I'm waiting on a copy from VGI. At least it'll be from the cheaper second round.

Comment

OK, final stretch, Radirgy and Karous.
                  These two conversions somewhat stand up to the DC versions, as neither has special modes included; the DC versions have TATE mode, however, and they still load faster on the DC than on the X360. Radirgy and Karous on the X360 suffer from micro-pauses when games have to load textboxes, where the DC versions are as smooth as they should be during stages. Really, loading issues with SFA are as puzzling as they are irritating. Luckily I've never had any other game than Chaos Field freeze, but every sturrering has my heart jump in fear a bit.
                  The framerate on the X360 is solid though, and while the game never quite slows down to very low levels on the DC, it does take a hit in the most buys screens.
                  Karous in SFA has a problem of its own: audio levels. Both SFA and DC version only have a stereo/mono switch, but in SFA sound effects completely mute the BGM; on the DC it was almost the opposite, but I'd prefer to have a somewhat varied BGM rather than a constant buzzing throughout the game. Karous is the only game suffering from this, and its ships' effects are overpowering in Mixture and Death modes, so someone actually decided to have that ship with stronger-than-normal effects.

Consider the lack of extras, the lack of TATE mode, loading problems, freeze problems, and a general lack of interest toward the title toward this collection, and it's very hard to recommend Sakura Flamingo Archives. It could have been the definitive Milestone shooter collection, instead it's almost on the level of Super Mario Bros. 25th Anniversary (that takes the cake as the worst collection ever).

Comment

I have finally picked this up seeing as it was dirt cheap from PA. It's a pretty basic affair with none of the polish and care that went into the Raiden compilation.
                    To echo briareos earlier complaint the sound FX totally overwhelm the background music on the titles and modes I have tried so far. Doesn't even seem to matter if you alter their respective levels in the menu. I think this will be played on mute with a CD on in future.

Comment

The sound setting is busted for the revision mode - i think it works with the others, from my quick test.

Actually enjoying it, if just for illvelo - will probably be redundant when my wii copy arrives from japan (with tate mode)

Comment

Working...
                      X