Is Metroid Fusion good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Metroid Fusion good?

I've been playing the 'demo' version tonight and i'd like to know if it's worth perservering with. There seems to be way too much dialogue with that computer, X parasites are abundant so I have no fear of dying and there's nothing in the way of exploration. If the game is linear all the way through and has no memorable music then i'm giving up on this. I feel very underwhelmed by it so far. Also having to hold down R to fire missiles is lame and makes combat harder than it should be.

There is a lot of narrative towards the beginning of the game, and the initial guidance is very newbie friendly. After all this is the first 2D metroid game is a fair while, so many new players won't be familiar with the game setting. The latter two thirds of the game are superb though. Loved every bit of it.

Comment

The ability to expore more opens up later on but I found it still too guided and directed. It's ok though, still miles better than a lot of the other stuff out there. I'm just pissed off that a minor bug in it means I can't get to the last item that I need for 100%.

Comment

It definately gets better as it goes on. I quote directly from my own review :

Where the game does differ is in its structure. Previous Metroid games have required that the player does not leave the game alone for too long a period. The huge, expanding map means that period of abstinence can be confusing, as the player forgets which area they were going to next. The problem with handheld games is that it is not unusual for players to leave a game for longer periods between journeys on the train or where ever the games are played. Nintendo have worked around this by splitting the space station into seven distinct areas with the station?s computer guiding Samus on what to do next. The current objective can be replayed at any time and always remains in one of the distinct areas.

Although it avoids the problems of the player becoming totally lost, it does imbue the game with a different tone. The style is more episodic than before and strays further away from the structure of previous Metroid games than (ironically) Metroid Prime. It also means that Samus has an ever present ally. Although the ally is merely a computer, it does remove some of the intimidating, solitary atmosphere evident in previous titles. Before it was Samus working alone against the entire enemy force with only occasional help from the local wildlife to assist. This time, the computer is never more than a few screens away.

It could have been much worse though. Initially, the computer barks objectives at Samus who has to follow them like a lap dog performing tricks. It doesn?t really feel like you?re thinking for yourself, just following instructions whilst blasting whatever moves in between. Soon though, predicaments arise that require much more cerebral input from the player. Walls are blocked, objectives are changed and things are not what they seem. Often the player will be confronted with a dead end, with no obvious means of escape, requiring much lateral thinking and full use of Samus? abilities. A side story develops that introduces a fairly predictable but nevertheless welcome twist to the plot.

Comment

Yes it is good... worthwhile spending cash on rather than playing a "demo". And we wonder why GBA software sales are so poor when people don't even buy Metroid Fusion...

Comment

Some of the music is memorable. Something which I didn't like about prime was the ultimately forgetful music, bar the remade old tunes. Samus is way more fragile than before. You will die more often than you did in Metroid 3. And some of the bosses are way better. The boss fights can get quite frantic. Also the controls are much tighter. But I did have some issues with R for missiles and not using both shoulder buttons for look up/down.

Comment

Originally posted by Firsty
              And some of the bosses are way better.
              With the exception (IMO) of the very last boss, who I can only assume is the one everyone bitches about. Can't kill the sod

Comment

I didn't think the last boss was too bad but the one before it, i mean right before was a little whore to kill. Sidez, as far my playing of the game went i couldn't explain why but it did hook me.
                Its's not as deep , varied or open as Metroid 3 but it has a narrative style that opens up truly only towards the end of the game. Nice twists, nice graphics (esp on an sp) and good adventuring.
                Besides how many original titles can you really enjoy on the GBA anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Blair
                  Besides how many original titles can you really enjoy on the GBA anyway?
                  Ironically enough though, there are 2 SNES conversions I would like to see on GBA. Super Metroid and Super Castlevania 4. Yet these are the few franchises that have received original GBA iterations.

Comment

Can someone tell me how to hurt the SA-X that stops you from getting into your shuttle please?

This is where I'm stuck at the mo - loving it up to this point...

Comment

Originally posted by roobarb
                      Can someone tell me how to hurt the SA-X that stops you from getting into your shuttle please?

This is where I'm stuck at the mo - loving it up to this point...

<SPOILER>

right... try to fight the baddie.. and you'll fail.. you'll go right down to 1 health point... SA-X will appear and start kicking the baddies ass, but, will be defeated and her/its "X" will appear... jump into it and turn into MEGA SAMUS... and kick the monsters flabby ass. In order to do this.. just keep your finger on the left shoulder button.. jump in and fire as fast as you can.. as you see the monsters arm raise, jump back out... repeate this a few times and you're finished.

<SPOILER>

Comment

It's an Omega Metroid.
                        Shame on you.
                        Now go play Metroid 2!

It is a very good game definately.
                        Some eye opening twists.
                        The new mission based structure at certain points of the game is refreshing.

And the artwork in the cutscenes is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Firsty
                          It's an Omega Metroid.
                          Shame on you.
                          Now go play Metroid 2!

It is a very good game definately.
                          Some eye opening twists.
                          The new mission based structure at certain points of the game is refreshing.

And the artwork in the cutscenes is fantastic.
                          <SPOILER>

I reckon the next "Prime" will have Samus imprisoned by the Federation (another excuse for her to lose her abilities) and she needs to escape.. and stop the conspiracy at the very top of the federation.

</SPOILER>

Comment

Alright, I take it back - the last boss (Omega Metroid) isn't so bad. I just wasn't hammering 'fire' fast enough

Good game, although finishing it in five and a half hours was a little irritating, I only grabbed 43% of the pickups. Time to play it again

Comment

This is a truly stunning game. I brought a copy in the sales just after Christmas and I started playing it last night. Wow!! If your looking for a great GBA game to play I'd recommend this title highly, get it while you can as I dont see to many copies of this about nowadays as all the shopps killed off the GBA sections for the DS and PSP.

Comment

Working...
                              X