Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese PS1 games that won't work on a modded system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese PS1 games that won't work on a modded system.

So I recently got a Japanese copy of Um Jammer Lammy to replace my old pal version that broke and when I put it in my playstation I was meet with this screen.

I have no idea what it says but I am going to guess that the game is not going to worked on my chipped playstation because it isn't an original Japanese system. It isn't that my system can't play imports or anything I had 3 japanese beatmania games that worked fine and I have 2 american games that work as well so I'm going to guess it is a case of Um Jammer Lammy having software on it that stops it from being played on my system.

Is this the case? Are there any other PS1 games like this that I should know about? I'd rather not spend money on a second system just for imports (unless it was cheap that is).

Your Photobucket link doesn't work for me because Photobucket is terrible.

However, this is almost certainly down to having a basic 4 wire chip. Get a 7 or 8 wire stealth chip and you won't run into the screen with the red circle and a cross in it. It is game dependant.

Comment

Where can I get one of those?

Comment

Bad_Ad84 on ASSEMblergames.

Comment

I think the japanese version of omega boost and internal section did that to a modded ps1 i used to have

Comment

Probably an Old Crow chip.

My go to title to test this is Chocobo Racing.

Comment

My PAL Um Jammer Lammy didn't work with my old modded PAL PS1, god knows what chip it was, early-99ish was the date of moddage.

Comment

Yup unjammer lammy is definately a modchip protected game, had alsorts of fun issues trying to get some games to work. Stealth chip is the way to go if you don't want to buy a Jp PS1. However some games still have problems even with a stealth chip. Playing Japanese DDR games on a pal stealth modded system causes them to play out of sync making them impossible to play as your timing would be right off.

Comment

I wonder if that timing thing is because of the PAL video crystal?

For IIDX on PS2 (and DDR as well I believe) if you run them via HDLoader without a module that limits throughput you will lose sync too.

@JazzFunk: Believe the screen is more of a "your system is modded, stop that" warning than to do with region stuff.

Comment

Happy to say a few months back I was rummaging around my stuff and found a PS1 I got from GAME for ?2.97 circa 2007 in a raggedy old Poundland bag, and a reassuring stare up at the PAL PS1 shelf a few moments back revealed a PAL Um Jammer Lammy I actually thought I'd sold yonks back!!! Good karma.

Comment

This is the pic(although you knew it already). We can have fun staring at the reflection to get an idea of Radirgy's room

Sorry if this is veering off-topic, but is it to do with the 4-wire chips sending the boot code all the time whereas the 7-8 wire ones were clever and only sent the code at boot time? In that case, would it be possible in theory to add a switch to one of the 4-wire chip's wires to physically turn it off after a game has booted?

I have an old PS1 at home which has a 4-wire mod. I guess it would be much less hassle to just replace it with a better chip than install a switch!

Comment

Q16.How do the "Stealth" modchips defeat this protection?
                        A16. The "Stealth" chips simply stop sending data after they have performedtheir function to start up the game. Exact implementation details vary from vendor to vendor from a simple timeout to timeout with reset on various hardware signals to complex timeouts with monitor of multiple signals.
                        nakamura's SCPH-1000 has a toggle switch for the 4 wire modchip though, so what you're suggesting probably works too.

Comment

Heh, I was reading that very same FAQ after posting

Comment

I'll keep the advice in this thread in mind in the future, thanks. I put getting a new chip on my to do list.

Comment

Working...
                            X