Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

After buying it ages ago in a sale, I finally got around to installing and playing this on my PS3.

Not quite sure what I was expecting. Over the years I've heard a lot about it. Towards the end of the PS1's life, I saw a lot of retrospectives online where people put it up there with some of the greats of the platform - Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7/8/9 and so on. I believe IGN even said it was the single best PS1 game.

Played about 20 minutes, which, given, isn't very long, but whilst it seems competent enough, I'm not really feeling it. Maybe it doesn't help that I've finished Castlevania DS, and played quite a lot of Portrait of Ruin/a bit of Order of Ecclesia, so it doesn't feel as "new" to me as it did to people who played it back when it was new.

What do people here think of it?

Spoiler (just in-case)

Hate the whole inverted thing, Love the 1st half

Might feel more at home for you if you play it on the PSP, I think it is suited to that.

I don't think its as good as Aria or Dawn. Definitely better than POR and perhaps about par with Ecclesia.

My main Gripe is what is wrapped in the spoiler text.

Comment

Not going to read that, just-in-case

Admittedly I never finished POR or Ecclesia, but did finish DS and found it far superior. I also played a lot of Aria, but I originally got it quite cheap and had to sell it, as I was destitute and the value spiked; I think I would've finished it though.

Comment

I haven't played much of SOTN but in all honesty I don't think any of the Castlevania games grab you in the first 20 minutes, don't get me wrong I loved the GBA/DS non linear ones but they didn't hook me initially like Super Metroid. However once they get you they're your go to game til they're done, that must be a good sign?

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan_ingram View Post
          I haven't played much of SOTN but in all honesty I don't think any of the Castlevania games grab you in the first 20 minutes, don't get me wrong I loved the GBA/DS non linear ones but they didn't hook me initially like Super Metroid. However once they get you they're your go to game til they're done, that must be a good sign?
          I dunno; Castlevania DS grabbed me pretty much right at the start. I think it's because it introduced the characters and setup pretty quickly.

Comment

I had it on ps1 when it was current and never got into it. Dipped into it a few times since and finally finished it (worst ending) a couple of years back on xbla. I'd rank it amongst my favourites as well a classic. I love the pixel art, the soundtrack and the hammy voice acting.

Comment

I loved the NES and SNES Castlevania games, but Symphony of the Night didn't grab me, despite wanting to like it. It's got it's own distinct graphic style and, for its time, complex Metroidvania gameplay, so it was never going to appeal to all fans of previous Castlevania games.

One of my best mates loved it, though, and acted like it was the best game ever made. I know a lot of people shared that opinion. I just couldn't find anything to like about it. My favourite Castlevania by far... is Super Castlevania IV.

Comment

the shear size of SOTN is like no other CV before it, i was introduced to CV IV on the snes, and loved every second of playing that game, then when SOTN came out it was totally different, the sprawling nature and the power up element, as said before it metroid style of play, but it was the the thinking you had finished the game after hours and hours of play only to find you hadn't.

i have only played snippets of the GBA games, don't really like mobile gaming at all, and so never played any DS games. but its is easily one of the best platform games out there. imo.

CV IV, for its pick up and play is just fantastic, but SOTN you have to commit some time to playing it, you wont be disappointed.

Comment

You have to give it a couple of hours at least, as once you start gaining powers and levelling up it just gets so much better.

Easily the best of the 'Metroidvania' releases and so good I've owned it on PS3, 360, Saturn and PS1 multiple times.

The size of the castle is incredible and you'll love it even more if you're a completionist like me. Plus it has some of the best music ever in a game. I remember having my PS1 hooked up to my stereo back in the day and cranking it up once I got to the top right corner of the castle. 'Young Nobleman of Sadness' aka 'The Tragic Prince' is right up there with my favourite VGM ever, ranking even higher for me than the KoF96 OST.

Comment

It's pretty standard to start but it grows into one of the most compelling games ever made. So much to discover. A solid plot with great characters. Amazing amazing sound.

Comment

I don't get all of you saying it starts badly. A playable intro? The point when you first see the animation on Alucard's sprite? The music in the first stage? I loved the first hour of the game, especially the first time around!

Comment

I don't think it's starts badly at all, the opening castle music is ace. But the game is bare bones for a while and feels rather simple.

Comment

I've played all of the GBA and DS ones and I think SotN stands head and shoulders above every single one of them. Give it more than 20 minutes.

Interestingly (to me), the OST still seems to be in print in Japan after all these years. It has a wonderful soundtrack.

Comment

I can't get into this series at all, although I've tried lots of the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              I've played all of the GBA and DS ones and I think SotN stands head and shoulders above every single one of them. Give it more than 20 minutes.

Interestingly (to me), the OST still seems to be in print in Japan after all these years. It has a wonderful soundtrack.
                              It is. So is Super Castlevania IV. Got them both a while back. Amazing soundtracks.

Comment

Working...
                              X