Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armored Core

So, I'm in the need for giant robots.

I've only played AC on the PS2, liked it, but for some reason ignored the series after that.

What's the best Armored Core game out, for any platform?
    And what's the best I can get for the PS3/X360?

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
    So, I'm in the need for giant robots.

I've only played AC on the PS2, liked it, but for some reason ignored the series after that.

What's the best Armored Core game out, for any platform?

And what's the best I can get for the PS3/X360?
    That's a difficult question to answer, as the Armored Core games fit into groups.

I'm not an expert like some people I've spoken to online, but I would categorise them as follows:

• Armored Core, and the PS1 games that came after, which shared a common engine and general feel
    • Armored Core 2 on PS2, which I didn't get along with
    • Armored Core 3 and the games derived from its gameplay
    • Armored Core Formula Front 1/2 on PSP which were quite different
    • Armored Core 4 and For Answer on Xbox 360/PS3
    • Armored Core V and Verdict Day on 360/PS3

Each of these groupings generally plays similarly to the others in the group (though naturally incremental changes did occur). They share a universe and history, but the story between them isn't that contigious.

If you're picking on PS3 era platforms, your choices are really betweel the last two groups, and then it's a matter of personal taste.

If you're interested in multiplayer, I suspect you'd have to go for Verdict Day (I think the servers in V have now been turned off) - though as you're in Japan (that right?) you may still find decent activity online in For Answer.

As for other stuff, 4/For Answer were kinda similar, and V/Verdict Day are quite similar, but the two groups are very different. For Answer is very fast, with a lot of combat taking place in the air at incredible speed. Conversely, V/Verdict Day brought the speed down a bit, and the game feels a bit more "stompy" with many urban locations.

For Answer works better as a solo game for the campaign, whereas Verdict Day (and V before it) were basically a fusion of Armored Core with the multiplayer gameplay of From's earlier title, Chrome Hounds. They're a bit like an Armored Core MMO.

TL;DR? Watch some videos of For Answer and Verdict Day, and get whichever one you prefer.

Comment

OK, thanks. On eBay people are selling sealed copies of For Answer for 80USD! For now I'll go with Verdict Day, VGP has it new for 20CDN.

[edit]
      though as you're in Japan (that right?)
      Wish I were! Or maybe not. I don't think I'll really enjoy living there.
      Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 22-03-2015, 08:56.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
        OK, thanks. On eBay people are selling sealed copies of For Answer for 80USD! For now I'll go with Verdict Day, VGP has it new for 20CDN.
        Wow, when you find it, FA is a fiver in the UK.

That being said, AC isn't very popular here (at least I don't think so).

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Wow, when you find it, FA is a fiver in the UK.
          I'll look for it when I'm in London next month.

Comment

The best armoured core game, is gun griffon blaze on the ps2 ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
              The best armoured core game, is gun griffon blaze on the ps2 ;-)
              Already have all GunGriffons...and I prefer the Saturn ones :P

Comment

Go for the most recent ones briareos_kerensky, I really like AC4 and AC4A, Verdict Day is also very good but be aware that the servers are part region locked, Japan can't play with the rest of the world but has the busier server. You will need an online team to get the most out of Verdict Day.

Avoid AC5 however as the online for that has now been cancelled and you can only do the single player which wasn't great.

Comment

I have Armored Core For Answer in my "to play" pile.

It'll probably stay there for ages knowing my completion rate!

Is anyone else annoyed by the American spelling of Armoured?!

Comment

briareos one last thing I should point out is the story order for the games they don't link that well and much of the story is implied rather than shown but the official cannon is.

AC4 > AC4A > AC5 > AC5VD > AC1 > AC1PP > AC1MOA > AC2 > AC2AA > AC3 > AC3SL > ACNEXUS > ACNB > AC The Last Raven

The official english translations are awful however and make countless mistakes across the series. AC4 is the first war and Last Raven is the end of the world. That said there story is very much here say so it doesn't matter which game you play first.

If your a big fan of the GunGriffon games on Saturn I would avoid all the early PS1 & PS2 AC games there just not a patch on the early GunGriffon games.

The later AC games are where the series really shines the boss battles in For Answer are epic.

AC1 to ACTLR all pretty much play the same, From Software were pretty slow to make major changes to the series, only Nexus onwards uses duel analog sticks. AC4 is where the big changes took place, out went the small battlegrounds and incame the huge environments.
                    Last edited by S3M; 23-03-2015, 12:44.

Comment

It shows how poor the translations potentially are; I had no idea that AC4 was a prequel to the original AC.

Also, AC4 had a better English translation than ForAnswer. Both of them were pretty bad, but at least in 4 you could follow the plot. ACForAnswer's speech is all these weird fragments of conversations, which have obviously been given to the voice actors with little or no direction or context, and it sounds like it too. All the critical dialogue is fine (the mission briefings etc.) but much of the in-mission dialogue is just confusing.

Comment

That video is epic!

It's like a 3D version of the third level of R-Type!

Comment

Yeah, AC For Answer's spectacle really is amazing when it's firing on all cylinders.

Comment

I'll be on the lookout for 4A when in London, otherwise I'll revert to eBay.

Comment

There are some few game shops in London now you might as well just check branches of CeX before you arrive (they're about the only ones left in central London, aside from a tiny GAME concession in Hamley's).

Have look at www.cex.co.uk and do a search for the game titles you're looking for. They list stores with stock on the right hand side. Assuming you will be sticking around central you'll want to look at W1 Rathbone Place and W1 Tottenham Court Road, they are both very central and close to each other.

Comment

Working...
                              X