Guide to making reproduction cartridge games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guide to making reproduction cartridge games

Recently with the price of some games being really silly I’ve been making repoduction versions. I’ve also been making repro games for titles that never got a Japanese release such as Calibur 50.

Below is my guide on how to make reproduction Mega Drive games. Note, these are not intended to be sold as original fakes. They are intended to be for my personal collection.

Stuff you will need
    Printing paper. - For the covers I like to use Epson Super Fine grade paper. It’s got a nice thickness to it and is good enough for high quality prints .

Sticker labels - I use a gloss super fine sticker sheet that I buy from the 100 yen store (3 A4 size sheets per pack). These are very powerful so you don’t want to make a mistake when applying them. On the plus side they’ll never peel off either.

Glue remover – I use a product called De-Solv-It. The main base is orange but man, this stuff is amazing. It can remove the most stubborn of sticky glue and even marker pen from cartridges!

Game PCBs – I order my game PCBs from a dealer in China. Buying just the PCBs is great as the prices are cheap. I could pay a little more and get them in a cartridge cases however the quality of Chinese plastic is bloody awful.

Step 1
    Get yourself a load of cheap games. I bought this box of 20 odd titles for the price of two days lunch (about 1700 yen). It may seem wrong to throw away the covers and manuals but these are very common and in a few cases pretty crappy games anyway. Think of them as the Japanese versions of Electronic Arts sports crap.

Step 2
    Gut the cartridges and soak in water for a hour then peel off the main sticker. The main sticker is very easy to remove in one go but leaves the white backing on the cartridge. This is where our De-Solv-It comes in. Put all the cartridge case shells in to a bowl and spray them with a generous amount of De-Solv-It and leave overnight.

Step 3
    Take all the soaked cartridge cases out of the bowl and place in to the kitchen sink or something similar. Start to rub the soaked cartridge white areas with your finger. You’ll see the white paper easily rub away along with all its nasty backing glue. You may need to add a little more De-Solv-It to remove any stubborn glue.

Step 4
    Once all the glue and paper has been removed, rinse the cartridge shells in warm water. Place them in a bowl and leave to dry for a day. Or if you are in a hurry you could dry them off with a towel.

Step 5
    Design your covers and case labels. I do all of mine on Photo Shop. None of the covers in this feature are simple cover scans printed out. They are made from various sources in an attempt to recreate the original or an all new design. For example, the Ristar cover and cartridge case are all built from scratch and look like the original until you take a closer look. The Ristar character poses of on the cartridge label are actually different than the official game.

Step 6
    Place your PCB in to the now dry and super clean cartridge shell. Screw it back together and place on the sticker. Remember that the chip or epoxy should be facing the front of the cartridge. You don’t want to put the PCB in backwards!

Step 7
    This is actually optional but I think if you are going to the trouble of making good looking reproduction cartridges then you should also put them in to clean cases. You’ll be surprised at just how dirty these cases can be even when they look clean. I give each case a wash using normal hand soap. Rinse well and leave to dry. It’s also a good idea to insert a normal tissue in to the case to absorb any water that may be along the sides of the case were the plastic cover is attached to the case.

Step 8
    Stand back and admire your handy work.

I’d say that the case cover and cartridge label design stage are the most time consuming. You could just look for scans on the net but in most cases they are either too low in resolution or look total crap thanks to poor jpeg compression. This is why I built my own from various sources. The end results are much better.

EDIT

All new section added - Super Famicom cartridges

So the first few steps are the same as the Mega Drive when it comes to preparing the cartridge shells as is the actual printing of the labels. What you have to be careful of is that unlike Mega Drive cartridges, the chips on Super Famicom games face the back, not the front as you can see below.

There are two ways to make a Super Famicom game box. First way is to use an excising box and attach your printed label to it. The second and more time consuming way would be to make your own box. I'm going to show you the latter.

First print your cover on to sticky gloss paper and attach it to some 2mm card.

Once cut out attach double-sided tape to the joint areas.

Stick the front and back cut outs together. Make sure you don't do them upside down!

Simply score the back of the card where the flaps should bend and fold.
    There you have it. One reproduction of Magical Pop'n that craps all over those ones you can buy on the net with their ugly US cartridges and deformed artwork because they've stretched it out of shape.

Just in case you are wondering, the cover I used wasn't a scan of an original but hand built from various images.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 03-11-2015, 14:52.

Lovely stuff. Never heard of De-Solv-It before, either - I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
      Lovely stuff. Never heard of De-Solv-It before, either - I'll check it out.
      It's great stuff. They sell it in the US so I'm sure they'll have it in the UK. Check out Amazon as they stock it here in Japan.

Comment

Another good, similar product is Goo Gone, although it does have a bit of a lemony fragrance heh.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Very nice was glad when i first saw the thread on the main page the guide to making reproduction.... did not go how i thought it would

Comment

Is that Double Dragon II cover one you made yourself or did you download it from somewhere? I have a cart only copy and that would be ideal!

Comment

Originally posted by MiG View Post
              Is that Double Dragon II cover one you made yourself or did you download it from somewhere? I have a cart only copy and that would be ideal!
              The Double Dragon cover was one I made. All the scans on the net are too low in resolution or look complete arse. Being able to search in Japanese helps a lot too in finding original art.

@eastayy, you dirty bugger

Comment

I've been wanting to make a cartridge for the unreleased/fan-completed Star Fox 2 beta for a while, but the process looks pretty hard for someone with no experience in the area

Comment

The guy I get my MD PCBs from is now studying how to do SNES carts. Once he has the equipment he'll start production. I could put in a order for a few Star Fox 2 PCBs. I have a list of 20 SFC games I want but just can't afford the prices. What's really annoying is that they are games I once owned.

Comment

Awesome guide Mark, cheers

however the quality of Chinese plastic is bloody awful.
                    I can confirm this is definitely true
                    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Well, it's time to start making some more reproduction cartridges. This time for the Super Famicom The PCBs have been ordered from China and should be here in about two weeks. Min order of 10 units but all custom ordered from my own ROM selection. So the first thing to do is prep the cartridge cases. These games were originally ****ty sports games or some crappy mahjong, shogi, igo game. Dirt cheap but now I have official SFC cartridge cases.

Don't they look lovely and clean

These cases will soon become the following really expensive games. Don't worry, I won't be selling them on EBay. Personal use only.

Akumajo Dracula XX
                      Final Fight Tough
                      Ghost Chaser Densei
                      Kiki Kaikai 2
                      Magical Pop'n
                      Majuu Ou
                      Rendering Rangers R2
                      Sunset Riders (Never got a Japanese release)
                      Undercover Cops
                      Wild Guns

Comment

Could you put other games on and sell them? To me? I want an English Earthbound, and maybe FFVI, Chrono Trigger, etc. No idea how to do it myself

Comment

where from china do you get these PCB's?

would like a Starfox 2.

Comment

If people would like custome carts made I could work something out with the dealer. These are coming from a "friend" I met a few months back. He was over in Japan looking for a good quality plastic supplier of all things.

I'll see what the quality is like first before I make any promises about getting games for others. I know he can do games that need save data, that's not a problem. He can do complicated carts too such as Street Fighter Zero 2 but I'm not sure he can do special chip carts without a donner cart. I'll have to enquire about that.

The price isn't too cheap either. If I place an order of 10 he'll give me a 5% discount. Normally about 30 USD just for the PCB. So of course this service is only worth doing for very expensive games, not common stuff.

It will take about 2 weeks for my order to be ready. Once I get the PCBs I'll report on the quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              The guy I get my MD PCBs from is now studying how to do SNES carts. Once he has the equipment he'll start production. I could put in a order for a few Star Fox 2 PCBs. I have a list of 20 SFC games I want but just can't afford the prices. What's really annoying is that they are games I once owned.
                              Do you have any idea how much these PCBs would cost? I'd be pretty interested in star fox 2 and a couple of other snes games that contained custom chips. I hav an SD2snes but I'm pretty sure they are never going to get round to sorting out fx and sa-1 chips.

edit: ha, you answered it before I posted!

Comment

Working...
                              X