Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you be willing to buy a new run of classic consoles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you be willing to buy a new run of classic consoles?

Having posted about this in the E3 wish list thread, if the makers of the classic 16-bit era systems like the MD, PCE, NEO-GEO etc were to do a new production run of their much loved retro systems, would you be willing to buy one? (And another print run of the best games)

What would you be willing to pay for the hardware and software of specific systems?

What additions would you need in to the hardware to be convinced? Or would you want things 100% as they were?

Personally I love the idea and would buy in to it in a heartbeat, I'd love to see the super inflated retro gaming market destroyed and to open up these classic games and systems to anyone who wanted to get involved at prices they could actually pay.

I'd buy a Capcom CPS Changer to join the elite.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      I'd buy a Capcom CPS Changer to join the elite.

Comment

I'm quite happy with the console collection I have right now so I don't think it would affect me either way.

Adding stuff like HDMI out and possibly some scaling stuff too might be cool, while we're dreaming.

Comment

HAHAHA!

Yes, my Megadrive is awful - it works a treat, 3 way switch etc but looks like it has been run over so would jump at the chance for a reasonably priced new model. Probably the only thing id wish for is native stereo from the AV port.

A lot of Neo Geos ive come across seem to have the faded logos on the unit and obviously cracked balls on the sticks so a crisp version would be a treat!

Comment

I possibly would.

They would need to be priced really keenly though to make it worth it...I have most of what I want anyway but if they were cheap I'd be into it & as speedy said some scalers etc. to make them look better on modern TV's would be a definite incentive.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              Personally I love the idea and would buy in to it in a heartbeat, I'd love to see the super inflated retro gaming market destroyed and to open up these classic games and systems to anyone who wanted to get involved at prices they could actually pay.
              I was hoping that the Everdrive family would have had the same kind of effect on game prices, but I'm not so sure that anything has really changed.

Back on topic, I would absolutley buy into a new run of SNES, Neo Geo etc.

Comment

Yeah, I would honestly consider something like a Neo Geo system, with a re-run of all the existing games at reasonable prices, ideally with HDMI-out and paired up with some kind of scanline-adding, CRT-faking technology.

I would love them to bring that out and release the games over a period of 2-3 years, a few per month, perhaps with an accompanying magazine. Basically the videogame equivalent of that Robi robot.

Comment

I don't think however, that this kind of thing would have much impact on the prices of actual retro hardware.

Comment

I like the idea in practice but then these are companies who can't even dump their complete ROM catalogue on Virtual Console or PSN/XBL properly. I doubt they could pull off anything resembling what you're thinking of and if they did try it'd be all the popular in the day so now ?3 on eBay games and then they'd lose interest or decide it's not making money and give it up. Saying that my Club Nintendo Game & Watch Ball game makes me wish Nintendo would reissue those.

Comment

If I could have one that used DS-like cartridges and a very small device, I'd be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                        HAHAHA!

Yes, my Megadrive is awful - it works a treat, 3 way switch etc but looks like it has been run over so would jump at the chance for a reasonably priced new model. Probably the only thing id wish for is native stereo from the AV port.
                        That's actually quite an easy and popular mod.

The thing I love about retro console is how simplistic they are. If you want to implement something, you can just do it.

Comment

I tell myself I would and I miss slotting a cart into a console and you're off, but in reality, I've a SNES, MD, Dreamcast, N64 and PS1 sat around not really doing anything.

I enjoyed playing through some MD games on my old Nokia and my XPeria Play after that.
                          I also keep thinking about buying either one of those JXD tablets or an XBox and never go through with it.
                          Or a Dingoo or an Everdrive before that!
                          I have a stack of PS3/360 games and realistically, having an old console is a lovely idea, but I'd never use it.

Sorry Colin, I don't see this entrepreneurial adventure taking off and for that reason, I'm ooot.

Comment

I'd happily buy a new run of all the classic systems. As I mentioned in the other thread I would like to see good quality capacitors used and all systems should be region free with a minimum of RGB and component output with stereo sound where applicable. Some form of scaling and HDMI would be good too. And maybe the addition of wireless controllers too as that's something we all take for granted these days.

Comment

Only a handful of systems are really affected by poor quality capacitors.

Comment

Working...
                              X