Japanese Sega Saturn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Sega Saturn

I'm following a few famicom items on ebay, in Japan. The seller sells a whole range of retro gaming goodies.
    I'm selling a few bits myself to raise some cash.

The Seller sells Japanese Sega Saturns, varying conditions. The shipping is Around ?20. I did a bit of searching, and it seems I might be able to get one with a pad from him for ?10-?20 plus shipping, which seems quite reasonable to me.

Couple of questions....Will any RGB do the trick? Good Stepdown that isn't too pricey. (the console comes with the Jpn lead)

Fun part. I played KOF96 briefly recently, and I loved it! Any other 2D Neo stuff to look out for?

The seller has stand up feedback, so I'm thinking, get the Saturn, bundle a few famicom games in the package and it should work out alright.

Japanese Saturn has been a great retro all rounder for me for the past 15 or so years. I still pick up the odd game here and there. Personally I didn't bother with any neo geo games (got an aes with an mvs converter). Got some really good arcade conversions, prices still range from reasonable to crazy

Edit: corrected 'ass' to aes

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan_ingram View Post

Edit: corrected 'ass' to aes
      I was going to say, I thought Neo collectors were dedicated but to have an MVS converter implanted 'there' would have been a first

Comment

An official PAL SCART lead won't work on a Japanese or American Saturn properly. Whenever I have a Japanese Saturn I swap the composite sync pin for 9V - so it does operate properly. http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/se...turn-scart.htm

On custom cable sites you'll be able to choose if you want NTSC or PAL.

I've got a 2nd revision grey Saturn myself. Bought it with a blown PSU for ?20 on UK eBay. Swapped in a PAL PSU, did the above mod to support official PAL SCART, installed a Phantom Universal modchip, installed a 50/60Hz switchless mod on the reset button and a region free BIOS. Still need to buy a Japanese controller though... lol

As for a step down, any old crap 50W 240->110V will be fine. If you want a better quality one I suggest Airlink Transformers. http://www.airlinktransformers.com/j...ge_converters/

I've got the 100W one, which converts to true 100V and it is a beaut.

Comment

There's a guy on eBay called thefoo.83 who does a nice RGB cable at a good price.

Really great console, I'm enjoying having one immensely. Got out of gaming for a good while, around the time it launched.

Neo ports I've tried are Metal Slug, Samurai Spirits 3, Real Bout FF Special, KOF '97. I understand none of these are perfect but they seem solid enough... watch out for loading times!

Whatever happens play Pu-Li-Ru-La

Comment

Thank you. I love Pu-Li-Ru-La...I actually owned an original arcade pcb of it many years ago...quirky and good

Comment

Roachie> is this the cable you are talking about?http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sega-Saturn-R...8AAOxyN05TmLRB

I am moving back to the UK from Japan and looking for the best way to play my JP Saturn (I am guessing no S-video).

Comment

Scart to TV or even better: Framemeister.

Comment

Saturn MUST be connected via RGB! Better still, RGB in to a Framemister!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    Saturn MUST be connected via RGB! Better still, RGB in to a Framemister!
                    Agree. Looks INCREDIBLE.

Comment

They're the ones tokyochojin, great cables & cheap too

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                        Agree. Looks INCREDIBLE.
                        Ahem, looks better on a CRT. Ahem.

Comment

If you can find one at a decent price in Japan might be worth track down an official Japanese Scart lead:

Link for box picture that isn't a cheap price:

Yakumo, having looked at the Framemister I'm surprised at the amount of games that give it problems. Makes CRT's a thing of the past however with the right setup.

Comment

You can get an official PAL RGB cable, a model 1 console and a controller for like ?15 all day long on eBay. haha

But yeah, certain games switch video modes constantly and scalers don't tend to like that. I think SotN on Saturn is guilty of it.

Another vote for a CRT...

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              But yeah, certain games switch video modes constantly and scalers don't tend to like that. I think SotN on Saturn is guilty of it.
                              Depends on the scaller I've got one that switches video modes perfectly, Best way to check is Sonic 2, any of the Capcom Genenrations games even Virtual Fighter 2 switches on the character selection screen.

Comment

Working...
                              X