Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which highly rated retro games did you dislike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which highly rated retro games did you dislike?

For me it's golden eye. I arrived on the back of the hype train on this one and everyone was besotted with it by the time i got round to playing it. I didn't like the graphics as they looked quite bland and blurry to me.

the main problem for me was the fact that my mates had already mastered every map and knew every trick by the time I played it which meant that playing it at friends houses was an entirely humbling experience.

the worst part of this is that it put me off FPS games after that which meant i never enjoyed half life 1, deus ex and pretty much anything else until half life 2 finally got me back on track.

Related to my post in the other thread, one for me was Aliens Vs Predator on the Jaguar. I just never understood why people rated it. I've always assumed, for console fans, that it might have been their first experience of a proper FPS, whereas I'd owned a PC for years before that and had played the likes of Doom.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Related to my post in the other thread, one for me was Aliens Vs Predator on the Jaguar. I just never understood why people rated it. I've always assumed, for console fans, that it might have been their first experience of a proper FPS, whereas I'd owned a PC for years before that and had played the likes of Doom.
      I worked in an import game shop when this came out. Between the jaguar, the CDI and the 3DO, it was a pretty bad time all said and done and I remember playing this game and wondering what everyone was seeing. the Predators looked like giant pixelated ****s. Tempest was a tone better on the jaguar.

Comment

Extreme G on the N64? Think that was highly rated, touted as a Wipeout competitor. Graphics looked like old carpet samples and framerate was jerky as fook, plus it felt like you were controlling a suitcase full of irons. I found it unplayable at the time and it's one of the only games to make me feel nauseous when playing.

Quantum Redshift on the other hand? Classic.

Comment

Super Mario Kart

Comment

Yes Extreme G was balls. Tried to be the fastest thing on the planet and succeeded.... at being completely unplayable. It wasn't all that highly rated though, was it?

Comment

I remember it getting like 75%-85% in some mags. Then F-Zero X came along, thank the lordy.

Got XGRA sitting about on OGXbox somewhere. I believe that *might* be good.

Comment

Extreme G3 is the only worthwhile one. It's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                  Extreme G3 is the only worthwhile one. It's awesome.
                  Aye, the Cube version was great!

Comment

A cursory glance through my discs reveals I have that disc-only on PS2.

Obviously, be nice to have the 'Cube version, I love those clean GC visuals. But might give it a blast later.

Comment

I liked Extreme G. It was never touted as anything great.

My nomination for this thread: Diddy Kong Racing.

Comment

I never really enjoyed Guardian Heroes.

Comment

Streetfighter II, owned it back in the day thanks to it been bundled with my snes found it like the gaming equivalent of watching paint dry. Boring in single player, bit better in 2 player but not by much, i'm aware that i'm a minority as so many love it. Not a huge fan of fighting games to start with but i never got the hype surrounding this one.

Comment

The PS2 version of Extreme G3 is also great. Sharper than the GC version but both run exactly the same. All depends on if you prefer a softer or sharper image.

Street Fighter II defined beat em ups. The physics, the connections, the combo system. Fan or not, it clearly stood heads and tails above anything else around it at the time which is why it got the hype.

Comment

Probably get strung up for this but, Ocarina of Time. Re-tried it on the 3DS as despite having numerous versions never got anywhere after the first boss. Just popped it in again and spent 25 minutes wandering around in the Lost Woods until I realised the exit to Hyrule Field was on the other side of the village - put it down to stupidity, but not my idea of fun. That said, I can see how well it's made so will push forward.

My other nomination would be Goldeneye on the N64.
                              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Working...
                              X