PC Engine 'Jail Bars' Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Engine 'Jail Bars' Problem

I bought a white PC-Engine with the RGB THS7314 mod that outputs through a Mega Drive 2 scart lead. Unfortunately there are faint but obvious lines in the image(mostly in the bottom half).

I first connected the machine to my Sony LCD tv directly, then I used my Framemeister, but the jail bars/lines were still visible. When I choose an image mode that filters the image, the lines fade a bit but are still there.

I bought another scart cable, this time using Csync, but no image appears - both through the tv direct and through the Framemeister. It appears that the PC Engine doesn't work with Csync. Also, the Framemeister is using a 'sync stripper' in the Euro Scart adapter.

I'd like to keep the PC Engine, as it's in great condition, but the image problem annoys me. Is there a solution???

Any advice appreciated.

EDIT: Is it better to buy a PC Engine and plug one of these in? Does anyone know what the image quality is like using this?
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-08-2015, 05:01.

I'm using the lead pictured Leon from the Swedish guy who makes them, image is perfect, I'll add some pics later. Alternatively you could always ask one of the sites excellent modders to take a look at your system like speedlolita or mmmonkey.

Comment

I installed one of these in my Duo R. Link.

Properly specced THS7314 circuit + properly grounded SCART lead resulted in a top notch image. That was using composite video for sync.

I'd probably just redo the mod. That plug and play solution isn't something I'd go the route of buying/using either.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        I'm using the lead pictured Leon from the Swedish guy who makes them, image is perfect.
        It's good to know that the cable produces a perfect image. Thanks for the info, Colin.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        I installed one of these in my Duo R. Link.

Properly specced THS7314 circuit + properly grounded SCART lead resulted in a top notch image. That was using composite video for sync.

I'd probably just redo the mod. That plug and play solution isn't something I'd go the route of buying/using either.
        Is it true that the white PC Engine suffers the most from jail bars/lines?

Why would you not use that plug & play solution?

I will pm you about a possible solution.

Thanks.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-08-2015, 07:57.

Comment

Does anyone know if I'd still be able to use that EXT Connector scart cable with my THS7314 modded machine? Would the THS7314 mod cause a problem?

Comment

I would be wary of that Leon. I had a modded white engine that was incompatible with that lead, but I don't know which actual mod the system had.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              I would be wary of that Leon. I had a modded white engine that was incompatible with that lead, but I don't know which actual mod the system had.
              Yeah, the mod might interfere with the way the EXT scart cable works. If your machine was incompatible, then mine probably is. I'm not going to risk ?45.

Comment

Does anyone have a link to the PC Engine plug'n play start cable picture above. I may get one for my grey PC Engine if they are Japanese RGB compatible.

Comment

He'll sell them cheaper outside of eBay, I've had a couple from him. Made to order so you could request whatever pin out you like I suppose?

Not the best photo, but my Super Grafx running off the EXT lead for reference -

Last edited by Colin; 31-08-2015, 10:15.

Comment

Working...
                  X