Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Japanese consoles use the alternatively wired JP21 RGB Scart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems to be a real lack of info online (my searches are coming up with nothing at least).

Can we compile a list?

they all do don't they? (well the RGB enables ones) just depends on which leads you buy?

Comment

Yeah...

JP21 is just wired differently to SCART. It will still use the same R, G, B, sync, gnd, r audio, l audio, 5V as an EU SCART.

Basically your video options are determined by the video out port on the console, not the cable you wish to use with it.
      Last edited by speedlolita; 31-08-2015, 13:52.

Comment

All Japanese RGB compatible systems will work with UK scart cables since the rewired part is at the 21pin end that connects to the TV. UK and Japanese console pin outs are the same. Of course, if you did use a UK scart cable on a Japanese console then you would need to connect it to a UK TV.

Comment

Whilst I agree with the majority of the above posts (and they are worded a whole lot better than I can string the info together!), occasionally there is a difference between different regions consoles and pinouts though - here's a post I was thinking about when I mentioned the Saturn in the other thread - http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...EU-scart-cable

And then you have Nintendo which alters either the pinout or what signals a console outputs entirely between regions. The diagrams on this page are for making Euro Scart cables, but you'll see some differences on the SNES for example, where the different region consoles need a slightly different configuration, or the Cube where NTSC systems won't work with Euro Scart RGB cables - http://members.optushome.com.au/evil.../gamescart.htm edit - like Yakumo says, Japanese RGB capable, and the Cube isn't RGB capable without a custom lead.

To be fair, I don't think I've tried an official SNES Euro Scart RGB lead on an NTSC SNES/SFC console to see what would happen (I think the picture is too bright), and confusion kicks in when trying to use a Cube RGB lead on a PAL SNES, which although have the same pinout - the components needed are slightly different and can lead to a black screen (but that's off topic here)
          Last edited by mmmonkey; 01-09-2015, 05:35.

Comment

I've had mixed results in the past with Nintendo consoles (US SNES, PAL GC & PAL N64 do not work with the same RGB cable) and Saturn's too (UK/JP consoles also not sharing a RGB cable - think I used a scart switcher to remedy that issue originally). I read that you can damage equipment by using the wrong cables. If that's true, what are the dangerous combinations?

Comment

A US SNES and PAL GameCube will use the same RGB cable. A PAL N64 won't, because it doesn't support RGB. Properly modded though, it will.

As for the Saturn, NTSC (US + JP) have c-sync on pin 9 instead of 9V on the AV port like a PAL machine - so you may run into issues depending on how your cable is wired. I always mod the AV port of NTSC machines to have that 9V on the AV port so that I can use official PAL RGB cables.

Comment

Working...
              X