Replacing old games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing old games

Now, I generally take good care of all my video games and consoles and like to keep them looking as in good condition as possible. Understandably, though there comes a time when certain things stop working and in my case recently I have had a few Dreamcast games which have started to cut out at certain points - chiefly, SFIII W Impact. Strangely, the New Generation segment of the disc works fine but the Second Impact one resets during bouts.

Anyway, long story short, in this case would you search for a replacement copy of the game, or just burn a replacement ISO, or do something else?.? Retro titles are going to become rarer and rarer, and so I wondered how everyone else keeps a good, working collection.

Thanks,

Burn another to check it's not just coincidence (it might be your DC resetting, not the game). Then you know whether to buy another.

Comment

When you burn a Dreamcast game, the console reads it as if it were a CD - not a CG-ROM. This can cause errors and thus isn't a suitable method of testing.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
        Now, I generally take good care of all my video games and consoles and like to keep them looking as in good condition as possible. Understandably, though there comes a time when certain things stop working and in my case recently I have had a few Dreamcast games which have started to cut out at certain points - chiefly, SFIII W Impact. Strangely, the New Generation segment of the disc works fine but the Second Impact one resets during bouts.

Anyway, long story short, in this case would you search for a replacement copy of the game, or just burn a replacement ISO, or do something else….? Retro titles are going to become rarer and rarer, and so I wondered how everyone else keeps a good, working collection.

Thanks,
        i have a PAL original of Tokyo highway battle 2 for the dreamcast that now hangs after the intro. Worked perfectly for years - disc is mint
        The Jpn version works perfectly. Could be the disc, or the DC is on the way out - perhaps try it on a mates console?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          When you burn a Dreamcast game, the console reads it as if it were a CD - not a CG-ROM. This can cause errors and thus isn't a suitable method of testing.
          If it carries on resetting on CD then it's the DC itself though yeah? See what I mean?

Comment

I can't see he discs being a fault, it's probably the Dreamcast laser. Discs just don't suddenly stop working unless they are damaged in some way. Hold the disc up to the light and see if there are any grey spots on it. If there is then the disc has disc rot which is causing the problem. I doubt Dreamcast games would suffer from this unless they are PAL titles. I read a while back that the pressing plant for PAL discs wasn't top quality to say the least.

Comment

Yeah, I have a ton of Dreamcasts and the same on all. I was more interested if people replace their old games if they are no longer usable. I have a copy of Street Fighter Zero 3 for the Saturn i am too scared to use incase it scratches as the recent prices make my eyes water!

Comment

Working...
              X