Sega Saturn Racing Games (good and bad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega Saturn Racing Games (good and bad)

Always see a few while I am browsing imports on ebay, but the only ones I've really played are Sega Rally (brilliant) and Manx TT (alright). I'm aware of the Daytona variations, but it's a game I never got into. What other titles have you guys played and what were they like?

Gale Racer is shoddy but fun. Power Drift is excellent. F1 Live Information is fun and I'd really like to try Shutokou Battle.

Comment

Away from the usual suspects - Sega Rally, Daytona USA/Daytona CCE, Manx TT - I'd recommend:

Road Rash
      OutRun
      Power Drift
      Sonic R (Although you don't control a vehicle)

I haven't played every Saturn racer, so I guess there are some other gems to be played.

Comment

Hang-On GP '95 - Was really excited to play this one considering how good Super Hang-On is. Didn't live up to my internal hype but I did manage to get some enjoyment from it. Initial D has a brilliant cover but the game itself isn't too hot haha.

Comment

Chase H.Q.

Comment

Shutoku Battle is pretty good. Slow at first but really does speed up after some car customization.

King the Spirt 1 and 2. 2 is pretty good. 1 is crap.

Gran Chaser is an ok future hover like racer.

Choro Q is a good cute Racer with a nice adventure mode

Destruction Derby is a poor PlayStation port.

Wipe out XL is another crappy PlayStation port

Wipe out 2097 (or whatever it is caled) is a very good PlayStation port.

Code R is a graphically impressive mountain racer like Initial D but much better and has a story mode.

Gale Racer is a very early Saturn Racer based upon the arcade Rad Mobil. It's not too bad.

Initial D is complete crap

Comment

Need for Speed on the Saturn is brilliant imo.

Comment

I've never got the love for Sonic R. I've always believed (and sorry if this treads on any toes) that, as pretty much the UK Saturn's "last hurrah", people think more highly of it than they really should.

That being said, I got rid of my Saturn back-in-the-day around the time that StarFox 64 appeared on the horizon, before the last few titles (like PDS, Sonic R) and only played them years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  Wipe out XL is another crappy PlayStation port

Wipe out 2097 (or whatever it is caled) is a very good PlayStation port.
                  Isn't this the same game - 2097 in Europe, XL in US/JP?

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo2 View Post
                    The names for the early Wipeout games are a bit of a mess in different territories - different games have the same names on different platforms.

Comment

Still he's right wipeout xl is the USA name for 2097.

I used to have a lot of fun playing Gran Chaser, very easy to play and some cool levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        I've never got the love for Sonic R. I've always believed (and sorry if this treads on any toes) that, as pretty much the UK Saturn's "last hurrah", people think more highly of it than they really should.

That being said, I got rid of my Saturn back-in-the-day around the time that StarFox 64 appeared on the horizon, before the last few titles (like PDS, Sonic R) and only played them years later.
                        Sonic R brings a giant smile to my face every time I play it. The cheesy music must play a huge part in it, I just love it. The character control is... odd but you get used to it and it's just a ton of fun to play even now.

Comment

Living in the city!

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo2 View Post
                            I do t know. The first and second wipe out games are on the Saturn. The second one is actually pretty well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post

I used to have a lot of fun playing Gran Chaser, very easy to play and some cool levels.
                              I've never played it; the bad reviews put me off. I think I'll check it out now and see what I think.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-11-2015, 20:39.

Comment

Working...
                              X