NiGHTS PSN remake....is it just me or did they screw up the Wizeman fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NiGHTS PSN remake....is it just me or did they screw up the Wizeman fight

I like this remake overall just up until the fight with Wizeman.

It really seems to me the Chinese dev that did the PSN version have screwed up the collision detection - hitting Wizeman to no effect sometimes and making NiGHTS bounce out further than on the Saturn original when hitting him (thereby making it harder to get back for the other hit in needed to beat him). It's a degree harder to get the 2.0 time bonus.

Has anyone else noticed this? It's a waste to have the whole game have been redone really well up until the last fight. Perhaps it is just me though.

Did the same dev make the Xbox 360 version? If so I could check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      Did the same dev make the Xbox 360 version? If so I could check it out.
      Sorry Yakumo, I've tried to find out but it seems theyre not credited anywhere as a separate dev. Their names all appear in the credits replacing the original Sonic Team's so I'm wondering if they aren't actually an internal Sega developer or contractor in China.

If you have a playthrough to the end of either Claris or Elliot, and the credits are Chinese programmers names, it likely was the same team I suppose.

I just realised too they removed the Sonic level from Christmas NiGHTS.
      Last edited by usman; 07-01-2016, 21:37.

Comment

Bummer. I'll have to go back and check it out.

Comment

This might seem patronising (I assure you it isn't) - are you certain it isn't just your memory?

For instance, I remember several of the boss fights being different to how they actually are.

Could it be that the PS3 version is based on the 60hz Saturn version, and is different to the one we had in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            Bummer. I'll have to go back and check it out.
            Ah actually mate - if it's like the PSN version there's a 'credits' option you can just see the developers' names from too, I just realised.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            This might seem patronising (I assure you it isn't) - are you certain it isn't just your memory?

For instance, I remember several of the boss fights being different to how they actually are.

Could it be that the PS3 version is based on the 60hz Saturn version, and is different to the one we had in the UK?
            No no, not patronising at all. I'm not entirely sure it isn't just me, so could be. But I was in Canada in the Saturn era so my played-to-death copy was NTSC-UC (Dreamcast era for me was in UK, glad for it, too), so it wouldn't be that.

I regularly play the Saturn version though to this day though...and it really does seem to me they've screwed up the collision detection on Wizeman. When you hit him on the Saturn version, you hit him. On the PSN one, many times it won't register, or at least it seems this way.

Also another boss difference I'm unsure is just me - on the PSN version the fish boss throws projectiles at you! In 20 years of playing NiGHTS on Saturn I never remember the fish boss chucking things at you.

Has anyone ever had the fish boss throw fireballs or something at them on the Sat version???
            Last edited by usman; 09-01-2016, 06:52.

Comment

I don't remember any huge differences, perhaps get a saturn disc/rip and check it out on SSF or similar emulator if you don't have the original hardware.
              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Yeah I will do, just need to find the time. Will never get rid of my Saturn(s), even now I still have like 8 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by usman View Post
                  I regularly play the Saturn version though to this day though...and it really does seem to me they've screwed up the collision detection on Wizeman. When you hit him on the Saturn version, you hit him. On the PSN one, many times it won't register, or at least it seems this way.
                  I'm interested to know what you find out; however, I'm pretty sure this is a memory thing for a sole reason - that I've played the Wizeman battle in the PS3 version of Nights about 5-6 times since downloading it (once quite recently, what with playing the game on Christmas), and I've never failed to get the x2.0 multiplier (I've always found Wizeman the game's easiest boss).

Comment

Perhaps indeed. I`ll try to give it a go on Saturn today. Wizeman`s definitely the easiest boss.

What`s your highest score on Twin Seeds...I thought I`d figured out all the max chains and have a high score of 128720, then look at the scoreboards and see I`m at like 75th place with people having upto 178000. Ego deflated!

Comment

Originally posted by usman View Post
                      Perhaps indeed. I`ll try to give it a go on Saturn today. Wizeman`s definitely the easiest boss.

What`s your highest score on Twin Seeds...I thought I`d figured out all the max chains and have a high score of 128720, then look at the scoreboards and see I`m at like 75th place with people having upto 178000. Ego deflated!
                      Oh, I won't be anywhere near. That being said, I was in the top 100 in the world for Frozen Bell on the 360, the week that the Nights remake was released. That was enough to satisfy inner-13-year-old me.

Comment

Ah, what a beautiful level Frozen Bell is! It's pure 1996 for me. Such joy.

Comment

Working...
                        X