Nintendo 64 Deblur (disabling AA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo 64 Deblur (disabling AA)

Think a few people here might be interested in this. Some clever people over at the Assembler forums have worked out how to disable the anti-aliasing filter on N64 games. It can be done through patching on an everdrive or with real carts using a Gameshark. I've tried it with the Everdrive and it works a treat. Def worth taking a look at. Here's the link the to the thread:

It's really easy to set up and there are downloads and instructions on that page.

cool.
    It's not something I'm gonna do myself, but I'd still be interested to look at the results of games without the N64 AA.
    Is there any links to video captured games?
    I quickly scanned the thread and only saw still images.

Comment

One guy has posted videos on goldeneye just. Looks very pixelated haha.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Very cool stuff.

I only have the Japanese Action Reply which practically no-one has, so I might need to work out how to convert the NTSC GameShark codes as I really want to try this out.

Be interesting to see what the conclusions are, good or bad. Some games work better than others it seems. Maybe Nintendo weren't as daft as we initially thought?

Comment

Pretty cool tech wise but not something I'd do myself.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
            One guy has posted videos on goldeneye just. Looks very pixelated haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPBIF6ZBk2A
            The image quality looks by far the best at the start of the video.
            Do you know if that is before the AA is turned off?

Comment

I think the AA is off at the start as well. Just standard 4:3 ratio then the widescreen mode is zoomed in on using the framemeister so the resolution is actually lower at that point but yet taking up the full 16:9 screen ratio.

Comment

No need to remove AA when this is on it's way

Comment

Originally posted by HC_O View Post
                  The image quality looks by far the best at the start of the video.
                  Do you know if that is before the AA is turned off?
                  The AA is always off, but then it starts to change the setting on the FrameMeister to see which zoom option looks the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
                    Waiting for this myself. Although, the N64 via Framemeister is quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                      Although, the N64 via Framemeister is quite good.
                      It is, I was very tempted to get one myself purely for the N64.
                      Giving it a native output of 1920x1080 will clear up any AA blurring better than a Framemeister though, and for a fraction of the price.
                      So I might as well wait.

Comment

Adding HDMI output to a Nintendo 64 won't solve the AA issues which makes even that HDMI mode look a bit pants, video of it here but the AA is destroying the quality, you'll still need to remove the AA for best quality even with that mod. As the AA is triggered by the game itself.

Going to give the GS/AR method a shot myself, just need to pick one up, I have quite a few N64 games so don't mind helping those guys over at assembler with codes.

Comment

N64 AA isn't the real issue. The blurry nature is cause more by.the terrible textures imo.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                            but the AA is destroying the quality,
                            AA isn't an issue with well designed games like Mario64 or DK64. it's AA plus a stretched picture is destroying the quality.
                            With native upscaling through HDMI it will look worlds better.

Comment

AA isn't an issue with well designed games like Mario64 or DK64. it's AA plus a stretched picture is destroying the quality.
                              With native upscaling through HDMI it will look worlds better.
                              Sigh, I can tell you didn't watch the video as it's of Mario 64 and the AA is still pretty terrible using that HDMI mod, a lot of colour run as well in that video, upscalers don't improve the picture either, they just insure no quality loss when blown up to 1080p. HDMI improves the picture but the real problem is the N64 hardware and its fliters, that's why the N64 games look a hundred times better on the Wii U because it removes those filters, something a HDMI modded N64 won't do sadly even when upscaled via a framemeister.

Comment

Working...
                              X