Retro PC Games Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro PC Games Recommendations

I've decided I'm going to explore retro PC games. What are your recommended games I should checkout first?

I'm not really into old FPS like Doom and Quake. I'm thinking more point and click adventure games, simulation games, strategy games.

Roller Coaster Tycoon!

Comment

Have you played Dune 2000? Like Command and Conquer but in the Dune universe. Must admit I haven't played it in years so I hope it's not a poor recommendation but I remember it being excellent. Maybe hold off until someone can confirm it as a good choice...

Oh and Outcast. Outcast is a superb experience.

Comment

Not played Dune 2000.

Through the 16 bit era I played an insane amount of console games, but really nothing on PC. It's always intrigued me and going back and playing those games has been on my bucket list for years.
        Back then I did manage to play a few PC games whilst visiting relatives, which off the of my head were: Prince of Persia, Pirates, Myst and Loom. I think there were a few more but I can't remember.
        Last edited by HC_O; 23-02-2016, 20:50.

Comment

Command and conquer the ultimate collection can be bought fairly cheaply. Well worth checking out.

Comment

What era of PC are we talking about here? DOS or do you have access to a Windows 98 PC?

A good point and click to try is Bladerunnner, really well done and stunning to look at. Broken Sword 1/2, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are all great as well. Grim Fandango Remastered is on this week's Humble Bundle in fact. You can't go wrong with Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital and Sim City 2000 is still fantastic (pick up the Windows version over the DOS release though, it scales to your desktop resolution).

I remember it getting a bit of heat back in the day but I always loved Freelancer and when it comes to RTS games I'd just recommend Red Alert 1 and 2. There's plenty of others to try but they're the most fun imo. Plus they have those rockin' soundtracks. Age of Empires 2 is still great and has a HD release now, Cossacks: European Wars is good stuff as well.

It's not really like DOOM or Quake so I'll just throw Deus EX out there as an essential game to play. It's a little clunky today but it's still one of the best games around. System Shock is worth trying if you can handle the controls.
            Last edited by Cepp; 23-02-2016, 17:58.

Comment

Yep, Sim City 2000 is a great recommendation. My favourite version by far. In fact you can't go wrong with anything that has 2000 in the title.

Comment

Doom........
                Duke nukem the platform game.

Comment

We got a PC in 1995 I think & (apart from the internet!) I remember loving Little Big Adventure, Syndicate Wars, Warcraft II, EF2000, Grand Prix 2, Sam & Max Hit the Road but mostly Doom & Doom II. To be honest the P100 we had wasn't really up to EF2000 or GP2 but they seemed ace all the same.

Sadly the PC & most of the game boxes got skipped while I was away, still got the CDs

Comment

Flight Unlimited was cool as well I think

Comment

Yep, although you can't go far in terms of the world, Flight Unlimited 2 is great.

The first two Age of Empires games are excellent.

Civ 2 needs no introduction.

Comment

Speaking of Dune, the actual Dune game based off the movie/book is cool.

Deffo recomend Rise of the Dragon, great blade runner style point n click.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                          What era of PC are we talking about here?
                          Was thinking late 80s to mid 90s, but I'm open to games outside that time if they're exceptional.

DOS or do you have access to a Windows 98 PC?
                          I currently only have a Windows 7 PC.

Over the last of couple nights I've been looking into how I might play some of these old PC games and I found out about ScummVM and DOSBOX.
                          I'm gonna download ScummVM tonight and check it out.

A good point and click to try is Bladerunnner, really well done and stunning to look at.
                          Blade Runner is my favorite film of all time so I'll look into this, thanks.

Sim City 2000 is still fantastic (pick up the Windows version over the DOS release though, it scales to your desktop resolution).
                          I loved Sim City on the SNES, so I've always wanted to check the PC games as I felt they'd be deeper and superior.

It's not really like DOOM or Quake so I'll just throw Deus EX out there as an essential game to play. It's a little clunky today but it's still one of the best games around.
                          This is kind of a newer game than what I was thinking but I've heard lots of good things so think I'll check it out.

Comment

Thanks for all recommendations so far I've been surfing about looking at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                              Speaking of Dune, the actual Dune game based off the movie/book is cool.
                              I second this. The music is brilliant, too.

If you like snooker, Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker is fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X