nVidia try to ruin PC gaming!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nVidia try to ruin PC gaming!

Insiders suggest exclusivity deal. - We can reveal that Valve is currently looking at making its massively anticipated FPS sequel Half-Life 2 exclusive to nVidia graphics cards, in what will be the first deal of...click for more

Granted it's only a rumour from Spong, but if something like this were to come to pass it would completely destroy the wonderful, non-proprietary, way in which PC gaming is enjoyed by the masses. Trying to emulate the worst aspect of console gaming (i.e. that of proprietary hardware) would seriously damage the PC as a platform for games - imagine having to buy two high-end graphics cards if you wanted to to play two new games!

In doing this nVidia (and ATI if they follow suit) could create a huge divide between gamers - we'd have to buy two different cards (which have to be updated every year and a half or so), so hypothetically we could end up with two completely different markets for gaming on PC's. In essence, we'll end up having to buy into a further two formats to get the most out of our PC gaming (imagine if nVidia got Half Life and ATI got Quake!), meaning we'd have to spend twice as much as we do now.

Preposterious, shocking, damaging and preposterious! I wonder if PC gamers will actually stand for something like this? Would you? I find this terrifically rediculous and if soemthing like this came to pass, I'd stop playing new PC games, because there's no way I'd be able to afford to keep up.

Any thoughts on this? Wether it's true or not, I think the topic stands as an excellent point of debate.

I can't imagine this could be true... I agree, it would be a disaster for PC gaming and I can't understand the wisdom in it.

So, Half Life 2 is nVidia only... let's say Deus-Ex is ATi only... gamers will give up on the PC as a gaming platform and go straight to the consoles...

... although... perhaps that's what they have in mind.

Comment

How is this possible, technically?

Comment

i'm still trying to get Soldier of Fortune to run on my G- Force 4...

Comment

If it was upto me there would be no pc games, a computer is made for data processing, and because of the bad architecture and shody coding which the pc is built on is the reason why pc games fans are constantly shelling out for upgrades to there system, if programers actually paid more attention to games dev we probably woundn't have this problem....

Could nVidea destroy pc gaming, i thought microsoft would have done a little more to the cause, but console games are just another pot of cash for Bill to get rich on......

Comment

If this happens, they're going to destroy their own market. F*ck it, I'm not updating my PC again other than for championship manager if this is true ft:

I wonder what MS' thoughts are on this, given DirectX was supposed to banish any hardware-specificness on PC games and everyone would run happily through one universal API?

Lets hope this report was originally written yesterday....

Comment

Steady on Ravon, let's not bash

Yes computers are designed to do more than play games and therefor need to be more powerful in order to run games - they have to be the proverbial jack-of-all-trades, in comparison to the steamlined designs of consoles - but the PC as a viable games platform is not the matter at hand here, it's the artificial segregation of software compatibility between the hardware giants.

I also don't think you give Microsoft enough credit - if it wasn't for the mass-market penetration of Windows as a platform, we'd all be languishing around without any standards to follow and PC games wouldn't be half as popular or advanced as they now are.

Originally posted by The Boatman
              How is this possible, technically?
              I'm guessing they could tailor games to suit the individual nuances of each card manufacturer, but I'm guessing more likely they would introduce some kind of secret code embedded in the games that detects what kind of card you've got and then decides wether or not it should let you install it.

The key thing about it all seems to be artificiality - we know games can be designed to be run on different graphics cards (or even operating systems), so there's bound to be some kind of forceful intervention going on that stops, say, Half Life from running (or installing) on a machine with a Radeon in it...

Comment

Sorry if i came over as bashing.....
                yes consoles are streamlined for games thats good, but apple mac's play games and do all the other stuff that pc's do, but do you have to go out every 3 min's to upgrade your imac just so you can run the latest apps or games. NO.

M$ have done nothing to impress me one bit and there constant squeeze in the market place is choking everbody out of business. Yes they are the ones who started it but know there's no room for anybody else...

I can't see this comming off at all, unless nVidea want to kill off pc games, maybe nVidea are trying to strike a deal with a console manufacture in the future...??

Comment

Originally posted by evilmatt
                  I wonder what MS' thoughts are on this, given DirectX was supposed to banish any hardware-specificness on PC games and everyone would run happily through one universal API?
                  Using the API is akin to writing games in BASIC instead of machine code.

Comment

Originally posted by djjimbob
                    Or in the case of DriectX, which nowadays is little more than a hardware abstraction layer... Not.

Comment

Sorry - Double post

Comment

So either they are going to look at drivers, in which case expect it to be hacked and faked in less than 24 hours - apart from anything a specific and difficult check would be broken with every driver upgrade, or more likely its going to insist on using the nVidia-specific pixel shader calls. At which point I'll wait for an XBox release, as it means it won't run on my GeForce 2 Ultra.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroMoFo
                          Or in the case of DriectX, which nowadays is little more than a hardware abstraction layer... Not.
                          Indeed. That's possibly the worst comparison ever.

What, was the last time you used DirectX when it was at version 3? What rock have you been under?

--Ed

Comment

I imagine 1000000 tefal headed hackers are already rubbing their hands at anticipation of cracking this one.

Neil.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravon
                              If it was upto me there would be no pc games, a computer is made for data processing, and because of the bad architecture and shody coding which the pc is built on is the reason why pc games fans are constantly shelling out for upgrades to there system, if programers actually paid more attention to games dev we probably woundn't have this problem....
                              Well thank god you're not in charge then, because I really don't need you making my gaming choices for me, thank you very much. While you might not like it, PC gaming has stood me in good stead for well over a decade. You don't like patching and upgrading? Good for you, don't. Me, I'm okay with it. It may not be the greatest system in the world, but I've been doing it for years, and it has become just another part of my gaming tradition. If it means I get to play games such as Grim Fandango, Half-Life, Command & Conquer, Baldur's Gate, and more, then so be it. You can keep your mitts off my PC as far as I'm concerned.

Now, to the topic at hand... This has better be a joke. One of the things I love about PC gaming is the freedom of it, and something like this will ruin that. If I want a console gaming experience, I'll pick up my frickin Xbox or GCN and have it. When I turn on my PC, I want a PC experience. Period.

Comment

Working...
                              X