Mame Cabinet - Does anyone have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mame Cabinet - Does anyone have one?

After much deliberation I'm planning to get a mame cabinet delivered at the weekend. I was looking at the Turnarcade machines and as good as they look I can't justify the ?1200+ price they go for.
    I was also considering Jamma, but the rising cost and sheer amount of space the boards take up mean it's not practical.
    would be interested to hear from anyone else who has one.

Originally posted by Strider View Post
    After much deliberation I'm planning to get a mame cabinet delivered at the weekend. I was looking at the Turnarcade machines and as good as they look I can't justify the ?1200+ price they go for.
    I was also considering Jamma, but the rising cost and sheer amount of space the boards take up mean it's not practical.
    would be interested to hear from anyone else who has one.
    Not helpful but I'm also considering doing this, and would love to hear from people who've tried it.

Certainly it seems a lot easier to do these days - monitors are quite cheap, you can get cabs in flat-pack form and mini-computers are powerful enough for MAME.

Comment

When i have enough free cash i'm going for one of the bartop astros, Philai has one already & they look amazing. The guy used to make them by hand but he's looking into proper mass fabrication now

Comment

I do like the mini cabs but I want to try and at least emulate (ho ho) that feeling of playing at an actual cab. I'm also going to force Nakamura to take up smoking so he can blow it around my face and make the feeling that little more authentic.
        I was looking at the bespoke cabs and they are incredible, but I simply can't justify the prices they sell for.

Comment

I do like the mini cabs but I want to try and at least emulate (ho ho) that feeling of playing at an actual cab. I'm also going to force Nakamura to take up smoking so he can blow it around my face and make the feeling that little more authentic.
          I was looking at the bespoke cabs and they are incredible, but I simply can't justify the prices they sell for.
          It's surprising how many on eBay only have 3 buttons for each player. One would've thought that fighting game fans are among the primary market for these things!

Comment

The shipping for those cabs is pretty high as well as they come from the states, but i can't deny they are beautiful pieces of work. Wish other makers would put as much effort into their cabs, the ones found for sale over here look like cookie cutter tabletops with horrible mame overlays and a ?1000+ price tag.

Comment

I have a Japanese SEGA Blast City with a modded Xbox with Ultimarc parts / a one slot MVS. Both hook up via JAMMA.

Comment

Yeah. Or they have six buttons in a vertical layout which is ridiculous.

Comment

My next one hopefully

Comment

Why not speak to Videotronics & get yourself one of his recently imported Blast City Cabs & then go to Excellentcom & grab a Pandoras box board for an all in solution

Cab - http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/381486056575?_mwBanner=1
                    Board - http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.a...0&pdtid=753956

You will a JVS-JAMMA adaptor as the blast is JVS wired but these arent too hard to come by & I think you can get one from Videotronics anyway

That would be the route I'd take if I ever had the space & money (although I'd try for an Atomiswave or New Net City cab)

Neil

Comment

As good as they look I'm not prepared to spend a ?1000 on a cabinet. I'm the editor of a retro magazine, I'm not exactly rolling in money
                      I'm not keen on a sit down cabinet either. Real men stand in front of arcade machines
                      Oh and I need to be able to play street fighter 3 on it.
                      Last edited by Strider; 11-03-2016, 22:00.

Comment

I'm also going to force Nakamura to take up smoking so he can blow it around my face and make the feeling that little more authentic.
                        And stub them out on the front panel, leaving horrible burn marks.

Also, don't forget to create a mixture of smells that give the quintessential seedy arcade odour.

Comment

As good as they look I'm not prepared to spend a ?1000 on a cabinet. I'm the editor of a retro magazine, I'm not exactly rolling in money
                          I'm not keen on a sit down cabinet either. Real men stand in front of arcade machines
                          Oh and I need to be able to play street fighter 3 on it.
                          Well in that case have a look at this guys auctions on Ebay

He has a stand up Sega Naomi & replica candy cab both already running MAME currently at under ?300 each

Also has a bartop for under ?30

Should be able to snag them for reasonable money compared to others but you would need to arrange courier obviously for them

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            When i have enough free cash i'm going for one of the bartop astros, Philai has one already & they look amazing. The guy used to make them by hand but he's looking into proper mass fabrication now

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rcade-cabinets
                            Those really are little works of art.

Comment

real men from the stone age maybe :P. I hate those two player stand up cabs. No space at all and uncomfortable after 10 minutes of play.

Comment

Working...
                              X